ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• honestman692
    Original poster 6 posts

After GU 14.1 for Anno 1800, it seems that the game starts to get laggy after you play beyond 1 hour. It is smooth when first loaded, but around 1 hour mark the game starts to have performance issue.

At around 1 hour mark, if you zoom out far away, you will notice ships movement start to get jitter (you can tell it isn't smooth sailing, freeze for that few milliseconds every second), and when you try to build houses you can tell the game responds 1 second slower than your command. It gets very obvious when you zoom in to production building such as farms and trying to put up the fields, the game either freeze for 3 to 5 seconds before responding to your command (building the field), or if situations get severe it will just freeze for more than 10 seconds.

These few days I try different things, and below is my observation so far:
    1) The problem seems "cumulative through time", in other words you will have a perfectly smooth game when you first loaded your safe game, then the performance gradually drop as time pass. I try to force myself beyond 1 and a half hour game play today, and it just start to freeze the whole game to the point I almost need to use task manager to kill it.

2) I am using AMD 6800XT, so I did try with FSR ON and OFF, it does not make a difference.

3) It seems that if I lower down my resolution from 4k to 1440p (without FSR), the performance impact seems a little bit lesser in 1440p. It still lag/jitter, but not as unplayable beyond 1 hour mark.

4) DirectX11 seems to perform worst than DirectX12 (I am using DirectX11 previously, now I change to DirectX12). If i recall correctly, the game is not even smooth starting from the first minute if I use DirectX11 (which force me to try on DirectX12).

5) Although I have issue above, the game has not crash by itself, or maybe you can say before it even crash it is already quite unplayable.

My system in general:
    - Intel i7-6700k
    - AMD RX 6800XT
    - Samsung SSD 1TB (2 drives, still with 150GB space)
    - 32GB RAM
    - 4k monitor
    - Razer mouse and keyboard (in case their software got to do with this)
    - My setting for the game is High/ultra in general, maxing most setting except AA at 4x. I did enable the high distance view, function that enable us to pan our camera view further (well beyond the general "Furthest" setting).

I could not find this recorded under Trello, so decided to post here. Appreciate if you can look into it, thank you.

Regards,
    David

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Thorlof
    Anno 2070 Playtesters Anno Dev Team Community Developer 249 posts
    Best Answer

Hey all, we found the cause of the issue for anyone playing the Steam version of the game.
    The fix is currently being tested and will be deployed together with Cosmetic DLC 8 at the end of June.

So, good news on this front, but we will have to ask for a little bit more patience. Apologies for the current inconveniences.

Official Response
  • DLE-Handy
    20 posts

@honestman692 I have kinda the same issues after GU14 Update. I made two small clips for the devs to have a look:

and

For me the performance drop is only happening when tryining to place something near a lumberjack oder charcoal kiln as showen in the clips but i think its kinda the same as you described?!

I hope a Dev or Community-Support-Member can have a look at this problem, because the game is unplayble like this... 😞

• honestman692
    Original poster 6 posts

@dle-handy

Yes, it is exactly the same, just that I seems to experience it slightly later than 15 mins. Thanks for the video, it helps to give a visual verification to my claim, it clearly shows that it was not something very minor.

On top of that, you can try for farm and crop farm as well, it will be the same issue. Even zoom in on areas full of production building will have same issue as well. Not sure is this fixed in GU14.1 as I have not put in enough hours (Sorry my title is wrong to indicate this issue happen in "GU14.1", should be "GU 14", still cannot edit my post as I just get it posted).

Hope the new GU14.1 fix it ☺

• DLE-Handy
    20 posts

@honestman692 Unfortunately GU14.1 does not fix this, the videos i recorded is played on GU14.1 😞
    DX11 or DX12 does not change anything... i tested all types of settings. Before the GU14 update everything worked fine...

I really hope a Ubisoft-Support-Staff will response to this error because the game is nearly unplaybe for me and i guess u aswell 😞

• honestman692
    Original poster 6 posts

@dle-handy Sorry did not notice that, but yes it is still there (I tried yesterday). 😞

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3024 posts

Hello everyone thanks for getting in touch with us and letting us know you have been experiencing performance issues and lag in-game, when placing certain objects or playing past the 1-hour mark.

In order for us to look into this further, could you all please try running the game in both DirectX11 then DirectX 12 to see if you notice any improvement?

In addition to this, please run through all the steps in our troubleshooting guide to make sure your game files are verified in case of any corruption and all your drivers are fully up to date > https://www.ubisoft.com/help?article=000061047

If you are still having issues after following these steps, can you please list the following information in this thread to help us investigate? >

• What CPU are you using?
    • GPU and driver update?
    • Ram
    • DirectX11 or DirectX12 - have you tried both?
    • Length of play session when the lag begins to appear?
    Official Response
  • DLE-Handy
    20 posts

@ubi-milky Thanks for your help!

As i already wrote i tested DX11 and then DX12 without any improvement.

The lag while placing objects is just when a lumberjack or charcoal kiln is around (as in the video example i made). When both buildings are not nearby the game is running perfect without any problems!

My Setup is:
    Intel i7-7700k
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 / Driver 512.59
    32 GB RAM
    DX11 and DX12 tested
    After 10 - 15 mins play session

• ThomasTom88
    1 posts

Hi All!

Same problem here - 2 player coop game gets so laggy, it is unplayable after 1 hour.

My setup:
    CPU: i5-9600K
    GPU: RX 570 / Driver: 22.3.2
    16 GB DDR4 2666Mhz

Other player's setup:
    CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 X
    GPU: RX 5700 XT / Driver: 22.3.2
    16 GB DDR4 2666Mhz

Using DX11 or DX12 does not matter.
    Issue starts after 10-15 minutes and gets only worse over time.

Thanks for looking into this matter!

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3024 posts

Hello again everyone, thank you all who wrote your system specs in this thread, answered the questions about which DirectX you were using and provided videos to demonstrate the lag issues, in certain situations when building certain buildings, in certain locations, or zooming in the view.

I have opened up an investigation into this issue, so hopefully, the Anno team can get to look into this soon and get back to us.

We may need to ask you some follow up questions or gather system files, so please watch this space for further updates and I'm sorry you are experiencing this lag in-game

Official Response
  • honestman692
    Original poster 6 posts

@ubi-milky Thanks for attending to our issues, I tested it just now, below are my findings:

• CPU Intel i7-6700k
    • GPU AMD RX 6800XT (Driver version 22.4.2, latest as of date of testing on 7th-May-2022)
    • 32GB RAM
    • Tried both DirectX11 and DirectX12, no improvement on this issue.
    • Length of sessions when lag begin is around 45 minutes. (It might have started earlier than this as reported by others here, just that I do not test this every minute. I am trying to enjoy the game while testing 😆 )

As for the troubleshooting guide link instructions, I have run Steam in administrative, and verified my files using steam before I test today. All drivers include DirectX is latest.

The video uploaded by @DLE-Handy in 3rd-May-2022 post is a good demonstration, and my finding is it does not matter what plantation. I tried using Cherry farm today, it does the same thing. And please also notified the team that it is not just plantation, in general when you tried to place any building you will have this lag issue (once it started of course), it is just plantation being extreme case as compare to something like resident building.

One more thing I must emphasize again, I did enable the ultra high "View Distance" under Graphics setting + turn on the "Increased Camera Distance" under Gameplay setting.

Thanks in advance.

• Mati8211
    6 posts

Correct i have same problem, usually after 1 hours it`s impossible to continue game smoothly. It`s only getting worst over time and never had that before update 14.1 .

• pusty87
    4 posts

I have the same problem like you guys - something changed after GU14. Current performance drop makes the game unable to play for me (25fps now vs 50fps before, in the main island).
    Additionally it is hard to launch the game - game crashes very often when being launched.
    I know that it can take some time to resolve the issue - is it possible to just roll back the update from my game? What should I do?

• DLE-Handy
    20 posts

@ubi-milky Just want to ask if its possible to downgrade Anno 1800 as @pusty87 suggested? Because before GU14 everything worked fine?! If yes, how do you install a later version of the game?
    At the moment the game becomes unplayble after some time 😞

• Ubi-Karl
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1534 posts

Hey guys!

@honestman692 - appreciate you for sending this over and I can confirm that this has been added together with the rest of the report submitted by @Ubi-Milky 🙂 .

@Mati8211 @pusty87 - welcome to forums and sorry to hear you are affected by this as well. As we're at a stage of gathering more details about this, is there any possibility you guys could advise us the following:

• What CPU are you using?
    • GPU and driver update?
    • Ram
    • DirectX11 or DirectX12 - have you tried both?
    • Length of play session when the lag begins to appear?

@DLE-Handy @pusty87 - as far as downgrading goes, I'm afraid it isn't something that would be possible in such instance, however I would like to assure you that we're fully aware of how impactful this is and will see what we can do to address this at the earliest possible convenience.

Official Response
  • pusty87
    4 posts

@ubi-karl My specs:
    CPU: i7-1185G7
    GPU: GeForce GTX1650 Max-Q 4GB RAM, driver ver. 30.0.15.1277
    RAM: 16GB
    DirectX - tried both
    Length of session: from the start of the game, during the game: drop to 0fps form time to time, plus at the beginning 2-3 crashes when trying to launch game

• Mati8211
    6 posts

@ubi-karl
    MSI GS 75

• Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2GHz
    • 32GB DDR4 + 1TB SSD
    • 17.3 Full HD IPS 144Hz
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB

I Always use direct x 12. Never had such problem before, it started after recent update.
    After 1 hour I can see drop, after 2h is pretty much unplayable and I need to restart.

• DLE-Handy
    20 posts

Just want to ask if there are any new infos for this topic? 🙂

• honestman692
    Original poster 6 posts

@dle-handy well, all i can do now is play 45 mins and restart 😖

• DLE-Handy
    20 posts

@honestman692 i got an 225 MB update for Anno 1800 today... i cant find any patch notes?! Hopefully its a fix for our problem 😞

Edit: Unfortunately its not fixed.. still performance drops after 15-20 mins unplayble when i want to place a building near any lumberjack or charcoal kiln like shown in the videos (

/
    )

• honestman692
    Original poster 6 posts

@dle-handy Based on GU 14.2 it only fix below 3 items, not this 😢

• Added a fix to revert the issue of all Achievements getting unlocked in-game after starting Seeds of Change (Note: This will retroactively fix existing savegames according to the data from Ubisoft Connect.)
    • Fixed an issue with the game not launching and getting stuck on a black screen on Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980XE CPUs
    • Fixed an issue with three Clay Pits missing on the south-eastern island (Season of Silver)

Suggested Topics