ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• pesto.
    Original poster 366 posts

Ok, so water in AC was good for its time back in Origins but now it’s looking tired but there’s a nice new asset for unreal called Fluid Flux doing the rounds see

Please Ubisoft for the next AC update the water to something like this or better (although with a slower time delta as they’ve got it running a little too fast on the beach waves), or just go hire the creators.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• XBL_Laberbacke
    648 posts

This game isn't running on Unreal. And if you spend your time staring at water that's fine but you can do that IRL for free.

• pesto.

@xbl_laberbacke by that logic we can dispense with textures, sounds, props, level design, story and gameplay. Because you can also go outside, read a book, go for a hike and experiences those for free.

I know they don’t use Unreal, I didn’t say “switch to unreal, buy this asset and use it” I suggested they hire the creators or make something similar.

• TheNorfolkian
    1946 posts

@pesto That is really cool. I have been consistently impressed with all of the hyper-real features offered by Unreal Engine 5. It would be great if Ubisoft developed such improvements for their Anvil Engine, but alas... it’s already been confirmed that the next title with Basim will be using the same engine as Valhalla (more or less).

If Ubisoft were to update their engine to have such hyper-real water effects, I would love to see an AC IV Remaster with such high-end graphical physics. I know it’s unlikely though...

• pesto.

@thenorfolkian well even with Anvil as it is they should be able to add stuff like this.

Things like the water surface lip showing as the camera moves through it as shader based. The foam seems to be a combination of particles and shaders. Anvil already has wet maps (Origins) though only used on characters not sandy shores sadly. The big thing is that seamless integration between shore edge real-time fluids and the larger body of water that’s probably a more basic displacement. There are going to be some things they can’t do but beyond the fluid sim itself I don’t see much here that isn’t just good artistry, covering up lower res meshes (no sign of fancy tesselation). What Ubi have already isn’t super far off, I suspect the fluid sim is 2d like the coastal waves in AC, and the neat tricks are the texture flow animation not ending up too soupy, and tying particles to interactions with larger changes in height at intersection with land geo.

• longjohn119
    1341 posts

@thenorfolkian AnvilNext needs a complete rewrite from the ground up so it can properly support DX12 .... Unfortunately the "Brain Drain" at Ubisoft over the last 4 years might mean they don't have the talent anymore to do it. Using a Game Engine to develop a game and developing a Game Engine are two entirely different skill sets which is the reason so many developers are looking to Unreal Engine, even Sony's main studios and CDPR (For Witcher 4) are moving over to it because the existing DX11 Game Engines just can't cut it anymore and can't be effectively and efficiently converted to DX12 and developing one from the ground up is costly, time consuming and needs elite level programmers

The thing about elite level programmers and engineers is they don't put up with a lot of crap from management because honestly, they don't have to because they can easily find work elsewhere with just a couple of phone calls .....

• TheNorfolkian
    1946 posts

@longjohn119 Tell me more about this brain drain! It would explain why Valhalla is an inferior product to Origins and Odyssey.

Suggested Topics