ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• SkyrimonIce
    Original poster 10 posts

Hello, I tried out Anno 1800 for the first time recently, and I just wanted to say that I am really disappointed with the optimization in this game. In order to prevent frame rate drops below 60 FPS in this game, I have to crank the graphics settings down so low that it ruins the entire experience. I feel like I have tried every mixture of settings possible (I tried putting lighting on low and AA on 2x, for example) and I just can’t make the game look good and run good at the same time. I have a new Alienware desktop that can run Metro Exodus on QHD on Very High and it seldom drops below 60 FPS. But at the same time, I can’t make Anno 1800 look good without FPS drops??

I really can’t understand why there is no DLSS in this game, the fact that it still hasn’t been implemented is incredibly frustrating. DLSS would give an enormous FPS boost with minimal losses to visual quality. That alone would overcome all the other optimization problems in this game. Ubisoft found time to release FOUR seasons of DLC, yet they couldn’t find the time to add in DLSS so we can actually play the game?

I have read other posts saying that the game doesn’t even recognize Nvidia drivers, it seems like the game is broken and no one cares. I am longtime fan of this series, I was really looking forward to playing this game after I got my desktop, this was really a huge disappointment. It’s kind of sad, because the game itself is not that bad at all. It’s actually a pretty fun game to play, but the optimization problems ruin the experience.

My system specs:
    11th gen Intel Core I7-11700F @2.50 GHz
    NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060
    16GB Memory
    256 GB SSD/ 1 TB HDD

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• AW7777777
    74 posts

@skyrimonice

Sorry, but your expectations for Blue Byte (Anno developers) are way too high. They can't even get the game to run on all 18 cores of an i9-10980XE. We have to limit cores using BIOS or threads to 32 in MSCONFIG to even RUN the game.

Also, I have 128GB RAM, RTX-3090 Ultra as well as the i9-10980XE and whenever you have a large island population and zoom in, depending on the camera angle, frames can drop to 20's. I also have lowered my settings to AA 2X and high or medium on some others - like shadows. I do run my RTX-3090 cool never going above 55 (or 60 at most) because I want it to last (and everything is water cooled.)
    I had an RTX-2080Ti Ultra before and that ran about the same with Anno 1800.

I've seen YouTube videos of large cities with large populations (especially the one with a million) and it seems they all have low framerates.
    I've noticed the game getting slower and even semi-pauses for about a second every couple of minutes once you get to larger populations. The developers never really "optimized" the game for higher populations with good graphics quality.

I firmly believe they would have to do a complete overhaul or even switch the graphics engine to fix these types of issues. So, on that note I wouldn't expect any solutions at ALL really. One thing I know you CAN DEPEND ON is the fact that they WILL come out with new PAID content - usually in the form of decorations. Usually the new main DLC content that comes out causes more issues and the bug list just gets longer. I also have noticed the new bug list reporting feature (Trello) only shows a fraction of the "known" bug list (I would say less than half.)

Sorry for the "long winded" feedback but I'm a retired 3rd level net/comp engineer and it really gets under my skin the way the developers treat (or don't address) issues with this game.

• SkyrimonIce
    Original poster 10 posts

@aw7777777

I agree with you completely! What’s so frustrating is that sometimes my FPS will sometimes drop to 50 or even 45 even when I have a smaller city. (It generally happens when you pan the camera so you can see your entire city at once) I guess this is normal for everyone?

I am shocked that you have a such a high end rig, yet even that cannot prevent FPS drops below 60 once your city gets bigger. Like you said, it has to be a problem with the engine. From my experience, the best thing to do is to lower the lighting and the number of pedestrians to minimum settings. (neither of these have much of an effect on visual quality) I’m still experimenting with the other graphics settings though. 

Still, I feel like if they implemented DLSS in this game, that alone would have been enough to lift this game to an acceptable level for most people. DLSS is unbelievably amazing, for me as long as I set it to “Quality”, it has barely any effect on visuals in games, yet it usually DOUBLES my FPS. DLSS would have saved me in this game if they had it.

I only have one DLC, the one with the big island. They really should have put that island in the base game, people have been complaining for years about the fact that the islands in these games are always so small. The other DLCs look completely ridiculous. I saw there’s one DLC in Season 4 that adds airships to the game, like [censored]?!? This is the 1800s!

• jettiblue
    2 posts

I agree that the game is sadly not well optimized for performance at all. DLSS implementation is a must in this situation, IMO.
    In the meantime, what you can try is to reduce the amount of people on the streets. At least for the close zoom this made a difference for me.

• Nicholas_Steel
    82 posts

DirectX 12 performs pretty okay, however because of the completely random instability when using DirectX 12 (an issue that has persisted for a very, very, very long time now) I have to resort to using DirectX 11 mode for an acceptable experience which performs considerably worse whenever the camera is viewing a large number of buildings.

Sorry, but your expectations for Blue Byte (Anno developers) are way too high. They can't even get the game to run on all 18 cores of an i9-10980XE. We have to limit cores using BIOS or threads to 32 in MSCONFIG to even RUN the game.

@AW7777777 I dunno how to New Line after a quote without it being another quote (Enter or Shift Enter doesn't work, even when editing an existing post) and there doesn't seem to be a "Plain text editor" button to view the formatting of my post to correct this so...

I'd try Imagecfg but that modifies the EXE file and the game has DRM so, unlikely to work 😕

Suggested Topics