ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Megalodon-26
    298 posts

@eagleyezx Personally, I have zero interest in playing a game that takes place during the 80's or earlier. But I will keep an eye on it, to see if the modding community can turn it into a modern military game, with all the weapons and gear to make it look and feel like a proper special forces experience.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1261 posts

Personally it would be a bit of a downer but I am still able to enjoy firing an M16 with some attachments.

What I can no longer enjoy is WWII shooters, at least not fully. Those I do believe I have done to death and then, something like Battlefield where the Scopes don't quite go with the era is kind of not immersive for me. Don't get me wrong, I will use them but my spidey senses tingle and don't allow me to enjoy it that much. 😊

• Flanker1Six
    228 posts
    @eagleyezx I'll definitely check it out, but if it's only designed for Coop and PVP, I'll probably give it as pass.

Ditto!

• Kean_1
    159 posts

@Eagleyezx

@kean_1 Hey Kean, some really great insight there. Operation Flashpoint was actually the tipping point for me when it came to Ubiflop and their last two Ghost Recon games because the fights were so intense. What position do you think this puts Ubiflop with their new Ghost Recon game being released within the next two years?

The fact there console has access to full amount of mods (maps, weapons, attire, cars) with mission scenarios makes a big difference in my opinion.

Yeah, looks like that guy I mentioned was spot on in regard to the link between Flashpoint CWC and Reforger. ....although he got the launch date wrong. lol

OPF has a sentimental place for me. I remember playing the demo to death before it came out and being able to unlock all the assets that were hidden but still there. I also created a lot of scenarios using their editor and the help of documentation from others to understand the scripts / commands so I could write my own.

I'm not sure if I really see Reforger as a threat to Ghost Recon. It's still a relatively limited game and with no actual "campaign" or single player mode so to speak, it's missing a really big key element that some like @FcAc-No-Moe probably wouldn't want to do without.

Yes, there is the editor which will allow people to create their own scenarios and I'm sure there are those that will in time create some solo/coop experiences for the community, but that has a limited or perhaps no appeal to those who just want to jump into an established story / campaign.

Having said that, even if Reforger doesn't attract the GR community on a larger level, it still contains a lot of elements we have all brought up for years. .....even using past Flashpoint titles for reference. I think there is a lot Ubisoft (more specifically the TC / GR teams) an learn from games like these. After all, GR has it's own roots that were based in more immersive, authentic and dare I say more mature gameplay than Breakpoint.

I do see those of us in the community who have shown an interest in these traits gravitating toward Reforger or ARMA 4 for many reasons including ones you mention. Actually, I see A4 or maybe a more fleshed out Reforger (perhaps over time) having more appeal to the GR audience than what BI has now. For me, if this had also launched on PS5 today, I'd already own it.

Yes, very cool that console gets essentially everything PC has. We (meaning console players like) will even be able to have access to the mods that are created within the limits of our platform. If I heard them right, we will even be able to create our own mods on PC and then download to play on our consoles. Reforger will also be cross-platform apparently.

Something to note is that the gameplay and UI looks to be simplified a bit more but in a good way. ....animations improved from A3, etc. I think some detractors of console inclusion forget that BI also released DayZ on console so as far as the UI, that's not really a concern IMO / IME. Seems they got around some of this by using contextual actions. Basically, you look at what your going to interact with like the door of a vehicle, seat position, etc.

I've already viewed a few of the videos like those from Karmakut, Operator Drewski, etc. showing gameplay footage. It appears the game is in a decent state but with bugs obviously. It's relatively smooth though. I even saw an XB frame rate video where it appeared the game really never dipped below 30 FPS (often hovering at around 45) even when driving through towns.

Anyhow, still too early to draw many conclusions at this stage but my main interest (and that of my friends) is in the Game Master and Workshop. More specifically, how those can be used to create co-op experiences.

• Eagleyezx
    Original poster 135 posts

@megalodon-26 I feel similar as I too want to play with modern weapons and gear. But if you understand what Arma is, it's really a platform for the community to make what they want from it. So I'm actively waiting.

• Eagleyezx

@kean_1 I don't think Arma on console will pull a lot of the Ghost Recon community in because the games are so different. It might even be a massive shock with how different the games are.

Arma is very realistic compared to Wildlands/Breakpoint, but as the game matures with mods/scenarios, it might start to pull a crowd from the community which I fully welcome.

It's really relative how long the mod community comes up with their content. But the great thing is that a player can actually have the freedom to do what they want compared to a Ubiflop game. I guess we will have to wait and see how this plays out.

• Kean_1
    159 posts

@Megalodon-26

@eagleyezx I don't know. IMO it seems like a step backwards for the series. Sure the graphics may be slightly better, based on the few screenshots I've seen. But now the game is set during the Cold War, when the gear and weapons were far inferior compared to what is currently available. So other than being on console with a new engine, what incentive is there for ARMA players to pick up the new game, and start creating mods all over again, just to bring it back up to where ARMA 3 already is?

As a prelude to ARMA 4 and given the thirst so many in that community have had for A4, I am sure there will be plenty who will spend time in Reforger including popular modders. Remember, this new editor, etc. is a showcase of what will be in ARMA 4. I can see folks eager to learn more about it and seeing what they can create. Plus, the community knows that BI is actively seeking feedback from them regarding what they like about Reforger and what they feel needs to be fixed, added, etc. so they can use that insight as they continue to work on A4.

After watching a lot of the videos today, I think the graphics are a marked improvement over A3. Also, given this is really just a prelude of sorts (a test bed) for A4, I don't have a problem with the 1989 setting for Reforger and actually like the tribute to Flashpoint where the series all started 21 years ago. I also don't mind the simpler gameplay driven by the era the game is set in. I do hope A4 is a more modern theme with modern assets but Reforger hailing back to the Flashpoint days is ok my me.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1261 posts
    @Kean_1
    I'm not sure if I really see Reforger as a threat to Ghost Recon. It's still a relatively limited game and with no actual "campaign" or single player mode so to speak, it's missing a really big key element that some like @FcAc-No-Moe probably wouldn't want to do without.

Yes, there is the editor which will allow people to create their own scenarios and I'm sure there are those that will in time create some solo/coop experiences for the community, but that has a limited or perhaps no appeal to those who just want to jump into an established story / campaign.

You hit the nail in the head right there Kean. As much as I enjoyed playing Co-Op with a couple of guys here, our schedule is not one where I would say we play even daily so not having a Campaign, for me, means No play time and no play time = throwing my money away.

It is sad that most Companies are going this way now and I hope someone listens, makes a killing mature Military Squad shooter with a Killer Campaign, PvE & PvP and makes Billions of dollars. I really do, just like I know that Company won't be Ubigreed!

• ClemsonDriver
    24 posts

I don't think Arma is up to a lot of Ghosts taste, but I know some will be looking forward to this. Let me know your thoughts!

With Arma Reforger having full mod support and what sounds like an easy bridge between Blender (3d software) and Arma Reforger you can tailor the game to meet your tastes.

• Eagleyezx

@clemsondriver That really is my hope to be honest, for the modding community to win some of us over onto Arma. But Arma is a different beast to Ghost Recon and I don't think it's up to everyones taste when it really comes down to it.

One might want a realistic game, but when you get there, it's not really what you expect. We'll see.

• Kean_1
    159 posts

@eagleyezx

Something else some need to consider is that they can't look at Reforger as some sort of replacement for ARMA 3. It's simply a stepping stone or perhaps better viewed as a prelude of what's to come in the series as ARMA 4 is being developed.

I don't necessarily see ARMA 3 players completely ditching that game for this. However, back to my point as to why modders might be interested in Reforger, I think they will be eager to learn the new editor especially since it appears anything created in Reforger will be able to be easily translated into ARMA 4 from what I'm hearing. Of course these guys are going to be interested in that.

I'm just hoping this gets released on PS5 sooner rather than later.

• Eagleyezx

@kean_1 Agreed. Personally, I intend to put a few hundred more hours into Arma 3. Its a massive tactical playground thats just fun. However, I did buy Reforger not expecting much at all but rather anticipating the mod support in the next couple of months. The hardcore Arma base believes that, I hope new comers didn't buy the game expecting a lot.

The potential though for an improved tactical hardcore squad based shooter is there. I hope we see that translated well into some modern mods that can put Ubiflops "tactical" games to shame on console.

• AvengerGR35
    67 posts

Game is basically a test bed for A4 as many say. Hardly a threat to GR but the modders can make it one. Plus, I doubt there are people who play Arma for the story. I remember when I first bought A3 I tried some of the story but got bored easily but when I discovered the editor I spent hundreds of hours there. An editor like this is what GR is missing.

• Eagleyezx

@avengergr35 Ghost Recon game vs Ghost Recon platform, or both?

With all the freedom that we have from tactical shooters on PC I think its time Ubiflop gives the community a platform on the new game to implement mods, mission creators and map edits. If Ubiflop is concerned about money, lets look at how succesful Day Z, and Arma 3 have become because the Arma platform. And we have to add PUBG into the mix too because I'm sure Bohemia Interactive get royalties from the game.

• Megalodon-26
    298 posts

@eagleyezx Do you know one way that Ubi might be more willing to take your suggestions more seriously? Stop calling them Ubiflop. You can dislike their games all you want, but you can't expect them to respect your opinion, if you can't even refer to the company by their proper name, or at least the shortened version of it.

• Eagleyezx

@megalodon-26 Ubiflop haven't made a tactical shooter for over 10 years and you're offended because I gave them a name? When they make a tactical shooter up to todays standard I will respectfully use their correct name. Until that day, if it ever comes, they are Ubiflop. They have all the feedback and suggestions that any gaming publisher could ask for in a franchise and I'm confident they will flop in giving us a game that meets todays tactical shooter standard.

• Megalodon-26
    298 posts

@eagleyezx I never said that I was offended, but I'm not the one hopefully making the game we all want. But if I came on here and repeatedly called you Eagleassx, how receptive would you be to my posts? Not very I'm guessing.

• Mars388502
    206 posts

• Eagleyezx

@mars388502 Yesterday I had my first smooth play through because the servers were faulty at launch, and it was a lot of fun. Mature audience, lots of coordination, CQB and long range fights are fun, and the mission was complete.

• stdape
    31 posts

Just to make my point Arma is well catered for unlike Breakpoint plus you can make Missions!!!! saying that Arma is very steep learning point. I do not like the idea of the Price Arma wants just for Alpha (paying to be testers) should be free until full release.
    We all know UBI can not be bothered to make a Mission Editor!! what Idiots. But as for Breakpoint please do not let UBI Paris get involved in any new Game 🙂

Suggested Topics