ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• iTz_Ark_Angel_x
    Original poster 8 posts

Having Issues playing AC Valhalla on pc, my game keeps crashing every 5-10 mins, I'm playing on a pretty new pc with high end specs, I notice my gpu temp is around 75c but I've done all the latest updates for windows, graphics drivers updates, Being unable to have any fun or experience playing, not had any luck trying to find out what's causing it,

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@itz_ark_angel_x

Quite a few people have frequent crashing with this game. Hopefully a Mod will be in soon to ask you to do a trouble shooting guide. (BUMP)

75c isn't too bad for a GPU if you're pushing the card (ie, Ultra settings etc). I think most GPU's don't throttle performance until you reach about 80-82c.

I know this sounds daft but try playing on different days (if you want to get your ACV 'fix' (lol) as a few people seem to have days of crashing and days of no-crashing. As I posted in another thread, the game is weird lol.

I had the same frequent crashing as you had so I know what a PITA it can be.

• iTz_Ark_Angel_x
    Original poster 8 posts

@simplethumb I had began to think its something up with my pc as it crashed after about 2h off play with no background apps open, I tried it again after and played for 30 mins before it game me a bsod with the following code Memory Management, I also had the same code and issue with a completely different game I'm also unable to play from the same issue,
    I am playing the game in ultra high settings set by my geoforce experience app I have almost no lag or anything, the crashes can sometimes feel a little random, been on and off with support trying to figure it out,

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@itz_ark_angel_x

I'm not very tech savvy but the memory problem might be to do with your ram (if you meet the minimum requirements for the game).

On the off chance that your CPU is Ryzen you might need to change how your ram is set, the ram timings or Mhz or something (for example I had a friend who had a Ryzen CPU and 3000 MHZ ram which was set to 3000 MHZ, found out Ryzen doesn't like it set so high, it was causing crashing on games and blue screens on the desktop etc, he set his 'timings' to 2933 and it stopped... so if you're using a Ryzen CPU that might be worth looking into.

I only mention your Ram because you've said it happening on another game. Normally when a GPU gets 'slightly' hot it'll just 'slow' your card down a bit to keep temps in a safe place so as not to damage its parts. I think it's called thermal throttling. If it was getting dangerously hot then that 'might' shut down the PC (but I don't think you'd get the memory warning) There's a free program out there called MSI Afterbunrer which can be used to monitor your temperatures, to see if your GPU is getting toohot but it sounds like you might be using that or somehting similar because you mentioned your temps.

If you're using an Ryzen or Intel then there's programs out there that are free that you can use to test your ram to see if it's playing nice.

There's also free forums on the internet that will help with problems with your PC. These people are tech-savvy forum members who help for free so it might take some time for them to reply to you (hours to a day or two) but it is good advice. They could look into that error code and be able to advise you on if something needs updating or tweaking etc

bleepingcomputer.com/forums

tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

forums.tomshardware.com

These sites above I've heard can be trusted and they've been going over 10 years, some of them will even help you get rid of pretty nasty malware and virus' if you have them and your antivirus can't remove them. They won't ask for personal info, just crash reports, PC info like specs etc which they'll have links explaining how to find this info.

(To the Mods- Hopefully it's ok to mention other sites, if not, I apologise)

• iTz_Ark_Angel_x
    Original poster 8 posts

@simplethumb I've checked literally everything so far, also ran windows memory diagnostic tool and it came back with no issues found, after some suggestions said to me by support it worked for maybe an hour max before crashing again to desktop with no error, I have a slight feeling it could be related to onedrive backing up all the files and then something breaking as they are not active unless onedrive is running, I'm still testing stuff to see,

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@itz_ark_angel_x

There are some better memory tools than the stuff built into windows in case anything leads you to think it might be a Ram issue again.

I don't use Onedrive but yeah, if somehow you have files on there from the game then I'd turn off Onedrive for now, verify files through the Ubi Launcher or if you can, redownload the game while Onedrive is turned off. If the game is trying to stream files off of Onedrive then that could cause an issue as the streaming of information would be slower that the game just pulling it off of your hard drive.

It'd help if you could do a 'process of elimination' to try to narrow down where the problem might be.

Again, it could be the ACV, but with you also having problems on a different game that's why things need to be checked on your side as well.

I hope you get it sorted 🙂

• iTz_Ark_Angel_x
    Original poster 8 posts

@simplethumb Unfortunately when trying to get a game recording today for support to check out of my game crashing, instead my pc crashed again with bsod so I think something is faulty now as Its given me too many bsod's and what may be tied to the game crashing to desktop with no errors so much so hopefully sending it back to go in for repairs and will have to try again another time and see what happens 😕

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@itz_ark_angel_x

If you've recently bought the PC then yes, send it back and let them do the testing, as the only negative side of that is you'll be without a PC for a couple of weeks at most. (If you don't want to be without the PC for any amount of time you could try the websites I mentioned)

If you haven't recently bought the PC (it's out of guarantee/warranty) and would have to pay for this service then please, at least look into the sites I mentioned as it could save you having to spend extra money (even if it's only delivery charges)

The people from those websites will ask you for crash reports (or crash dumps (.dmp files) though they might ask for different files, which will have no personal info) and from these files they'll be able to see the last thing that could have caused the BSOD. So if it's consistently one thing...(like a program) then that could point to the problem (so reinstall the program or remove it), if it points to a driver (or something related), then that could be the problem (so you'd have to update your driver for your CPU or GPU etc. If that didn't work then that could point to a faulty bit of hardware). Now if these crash reports are very random, then that could point to it being your ram (like what happened with my friend) because the last thing in the crash report will be different each time. Therefore your Ram isn't working right because it can fail under heavy load or simply wants to poop the bed at any random point (like my friends Ram). If your PC is only BSOD'ing when it's under heavy load then that could point to it being your PSU (power supply unit) because it might be under powered (for your CPU and GPU) or it's faulty.

They don't expect you to know everything and will talk you through every step of the process (if not just ask) and it is quite painless and it could save you time and money.

If you're unsure of the sites I've mentioned (which is understandable, seeing as I'm just some stranger on the internet) then google search PC tech help problems or something similar, then take the name of that site and google search "can this website be trusted" etc. I do this for every new website I go to which requires more than just browsing (if it's not a known name).

• longjohn119
    1110 posts
    @simplethumb I had began to think its something up with my pc as it crashed after about 2h off play with no background apps open, I tried it again after and played for 30 mins before it game me a bsod with the following code Memory Management, I also had the same code and issue with a completely different game I'm also unable to play from the same issue,
    I am playing the game in ultra high settings set by my geoforce experience app I have almost no lag or anything, the crashes can sometimes feel a little random, been on and off with support trying to figure it out,

How is your Windows Page File set up? If you are using a fixed size Page File and it runs out of space you get a memory error and often the system crashes. Despite all the nonsense still floating around on the Internet about boosting performance by setting a fixed size Page File that really hasn't been a thing since Windows XP ..... You should really allow Windows to dynamically set the Page File size and then the only time you'd ever run into problems is you were almost out of disk space otherwise Windows will make it as big (or small) as it needs to be. Also a fixed size Page File will actually hurt performance over time because it becomes fragmented over time whereas if you allow Windows to dynamically set the Page File size when you quit out of a game or other memory intensive application it automatically defrags the Page File when it shrinks the file because it moves everything to the front of the file before it shrinks the size which also defrags it.

This probably won't fix all your crashing issues, the game has other issues that cause random CTDs but it will stop the BSOD crashes and when you do crash it will CTD instead BSOD .... Also after any BSOD or other hard crash you should really run System File Checker to make sure it didn't bork one of the Windows system files .... CTDs seldom hurt your system files (I call it a clean crash) but BSOD or a hard crash (I call them a dirty crash) often will because the disc system doesn't have a chance to flush the caches and finish any writes to disk.

• iTz_Ark_Angel_x
    Original poster 8 posts

@longjohn119 I've ran the system file checker and other various tools and It's always reported back with no corrupted files or anything found, I did try several other games in the meantime also and every seems to have crashed with error reports leading me to believe some hardware is maybe malfunctioning or something, I was running bluescreen view to see more info on my bsods and it seems to point to the same file every time with a completely different random bsod error code, linked to some file or something that runs the operating system, ntoskrnl.exe is the same file very time for bsods, I've ran the windows memory diagnostic tool several times and Its always came back with no issues found, I've not touched the bios at all those as I'm not really experienced and wouldn't want to mess anything up but my pc still In guarantee at so I think It's probably best for me to wait and have things checked out, I appreciate all the help and support though, thx again 🙂

• Simplethumb
    139 posts

@itz_ark_angel_x

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I'll talk about it anyway lol 😉

ntoskrnl.exe is a thing that is related to memory management so I think that will always show up in your circumstance because that is the thing that fails due to the program etc before it. What I mean is ntoskrnl.exe is failing because of something else, that exe is not the problem.

It really is starting to sound like the same issues my friend had, especially with the random BSOD error codes.

If you're interested you can read more about ntoskrnl.exe here https://www.file.net/process/ntoskrnl.exe.html: (https://file.net/process/ntoskrnl.exe.html)

The system process is responsible for the system memory and compressed memory in the NT kernel. This system process is a single thread running on each processor. It is the host of all kind of drivers (network, disk, USB). The related file name is C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe. The system process in Windows 10 has a additional task, it is compressing old pages of memory so that you have more free memory to use.

• longjohn119
    1110 posts

@itz_ark_angel_x Try using Memtest86 which you install on a thumbdrive and use it to boot the computer and just let it run preferably overnight (or until it crashes) and it will log all your memory errors. It uses 12 types of tests and then repeats them. If you are having problems in all games and apps then a bad memory stick is very possible

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2532 posts

Hey @iTz_Ark_Angel_x

I'm sorry to hear your game is crashing often and thank you for the information you have provided so far, and to everyone else who has already suggested some things.

Please do check through the steps in these articles here and here to see if there's anything you haven't tried yet, as we just need to rule out any of the most common causes of issues on PC first of all.

Another good thing to try is to close Ubisoft Connect, go to your cache folder in your Ubisoft Connect directory and rename your cache folder to something like "cachebackup". Then see if you still have an issue.

If you still have issues after these steps, let us know here and we can create a support case for you, as we'll need to get these system files from you to look into this further. 

DX Diag

MSInfo - Please run this file straight after the crash, as it will show the most recent errors happening on your PC when it crashed. 

If you would prefer to contact us via live chat, you can do so here and we can get your files from you whilst speaking to you on there. 

As live chat isn't always available, you can also reach out through a private message on Twitter or Facebook if you prefer, as that will also create a case for you and we can then get your system files off you through there. 

If you do contact us through one of the above options, please mention what steps you have already done, or just provide links to those articles so they don't get suggested to you again. Also, please let us know here if you have, otherwise we will create the support ticket for you if you let us know you still need assistance.  

Official Response

Suggested Topics