ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Randelia
    Original poster 355 posts

If you are shying away from the drinking games Valhalla offers because you tried one and failed miserably, this post is for you.

To win a drinking game, you need to speak to a champion, offer a wager if it's the first time, then finish drinking before the champion. Time your drinking within the orange zone around the drink icon.

Before this week I tried drinking games early on once or twice and never got the timing right (playing on PC with PS4 controller). But the 10 opals for this week's community challenge finally made me try again. Here's what I learned:

1) Start slowly. Stavanger, Grantebridge, and Ledeceistre are the most forgiving locations. Try Stavanger until you get a feel for how the timing works. Those locations have the slowest drinkers giving you plenty of time.

2) Save before you start the first time at a location. The first time you speak to the drinking champion at a location you need to offer up a wager. I usually fail the first time. Reloading after the fail gives me the chance to try again and win the pot.

3) Listen to the crowd cheering you on. The timing works if you click the "drink" button a tidbit after the crowd chants "skal" or "drink". At first click when they chant. Once your reaction is faster, click a tidbit afterwards. That lands your click in the orange zone around the drink icon (X for my PS4 controller).

4) Compensate for Eivor's tumbling when prompted. Once Eivor has finished the first horn/cup of mead he slowly gets drunk, and starts veering left or right. Now it's time for you to yank the controller (or click the corresponding key on the keyboard) quickly to adjust his stance. Yank LEFT when he veers right then quickly let go, and vice versa

5) Focus on the drink icon. It's easy to get carried away and start watching the crowd cheering and dancing 😄 But then you lose the timing and Eivor the contest. So keep your eyes ironclad locked on the drink icon.

Once Eivor wins he will be seriously drunk, which is represented by the vision being blurry and shaking for a while. To stop that you can:

• speak to the champion to start another round or tell him/her you don't want to drink
    • fast travel somewhere

That will stop the drunk vision immediately.

If you have motion sickness like me: Just do 3 games at a time, then do something else for a while. Then restart the game again and continue. Once I found out I can do this I was so excited and visited all the champions in the shires I have already finished and drank several times with each of them. Better to do just 3 then rest.

The higher level area drinking champions will be more difficult to beat and the drunk vision will be much worse. The drink icon will be the only non-moving item on the screen. Keep your eyes firmly locked on it to avoid losing focus and the game.

Wishing you good fun with the drinking games, and, of course: Skal!

Btw: there is no drinking location in Lunden unfortunately. Missed opportunity. London has lovely pubs. 😄

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SpirantCrayon22
    2064 posts

@randelia

nice one

regarding the pubs in London I think Eivor somehow found out what Shaun wrote about local beers for the Syndicate database

Leicester is the one I do when there's a challenge, I kind-of do the same thing as you've written

I think they have changed the Leicester bloke; I noticed that the drinking did not accelerate last time I did it as it has done every other time I've done the challenge anywhere, including Leicester - perhaps I didn't notice before or perhaps they did change it

main lesson - don't rush to press a button or move a stick, the easier ones give enough time

• Randelia

@spirantcrayon22

hahaha I remember Shaun's comment in Syndicate 😄 😄

I think Lunden might not have a drinking game because it serves mead which is a Dane/Norse beverage. And Vikings seem to be more vehemently abhorred by Lunden inhabitants than elsewhere. But even the Lunden people must get "thirsty like a flaming fish" sometimes. Please Ubisoft, Lunden needs a drinking game 🙂

Ledecestre: the challenge might have been made easier because at some point the player needs to go there during regular gameplay. But that is just me assuming, of course.

• thegardener25
    193 posts

@randelia & @SpirantCrayon22. My goto for ubiconnect drinking challenges is in lunden! It's at the governer's villa! It's a 4 pint one, which suits me, because sometimes I log into the game late at night, while I'm actually drunk, or half cut! So having a 4 pint challenge as opposed to 3 gives me a chance to recover if I miss the mark (although even when I'm pished, I can beat that guy!).

I don't know if the biggest hang up some players have with the drinking challenges is the fact that like me. When I first came across these challenges. Is that when you encounter them, in the first few days of playing the game. The devs (compared with AC Odyssey), were so f***in stingy with the resources. But, the idea that with what little silver we had accumulated in the early hours/days. We had a chance to double our money on an unknown challenge! So if I accept the challenge. I have to win/I cannot lose! So after 2 or 3 losses, I decided to skip the drink challenges until I had loads of silver, & the idea of losing didn't matter. With the pressure off, the challenge just got easier. But I have to say, that if I ever play another AC game again, I sincerely hope they don't bring this, or any similar crap into future games!!

• Randelia

@thegardener25

Thank you so much, TheGardener25! Now I remember the drinker at the Governor's house. I did Lunden right after East Anglia, that was months ago. I remember thinking oops yet another of those challenges where they want me to lose money I don't have 😄 Thank you for the memory jog. That's where I'll go right after Reda's tasks today.

Actually, coming to think of it: the weekly challenges have expanded my game horizon. I got to do things I had not tried on my own. E.g. trying to play with 2 shields and kill folks with a shield, doing lots of river raids, upgrading my predator bow finally all the way and using it, or using the new spear I just bought at the ostara festival, getting serious about learning orlog, and now finding out how to do the drinking games.

Weekly challenges help me find new things to do in the game.

• SpirantCrayon22
    2064 posts

@randelia

I've found that, too, and they have added things over time. I hope they come up with more. I also like the Mastery challenges for the same kind of reason (though it remains important to note that the Odin Mine Wolf one was by far the least pleasant thing in the game).

• Randelia

OOPS: I just went back to Lunden and cannot find the drinker around the governor's villa. I probably remembered a drinker at a different location.

• Kormac67
    1095 posts

I find Petra easiest to beat.

• Randelia

Update: Lunden and drinking challenge

If you cannot find a drinking challenger in Lunden even though there is a drinking challenge icon on the map: continue playing the England story. Eventually in Eivor's story line there will be a drinking challenger added to Lunden.

I just got it last night 😄

• Kormac67
    1095 posts

@randelia It's usually not a good idea to explore areas before the story takes you there.
    Like when I explored some place and found one of the doors you need help to open with treasure behind. Thought it was a bug, but you return later with an NPC and can open it.
    But sometimes you can actually break the game by entering places early and doing unexpected things. People found and killed Gorm somewhere and thus lost the complete Vinland arc.

• Randelia

@kormac67

at the time I explored that area I had long finished the London story line.

But you don't have a drinking challenger at the end of the London story line. You will get one at some point in time later while playing other shires in England. I am playing the shires in sequence of increasing power level. I have written down the power levels of each shire at some point in time and then set level scaling to higher.

The only reason I have some parts of the map already explored even though I haven't played that shire yet is .... at some point I was so fed up with not being able to upgrade my gear even though being at high enough level already for the shires where the tungsten ingots are I decided to ..... go ingot hunting in the shires with level 190+
    I only stole their ingots and made sure I didn't read any papers or talked to anybody there.

Then I discovered that you can also get ingots from roaming guards in the high enough shires 😄 Since then I get the tungsten ingots from the guards and no longer have to ransack shires I haven't played yet. That is a safe way to get ingots without the potential to do something in those shires that will hinder game play later.

• Kormac67
    1095 posts

@randelia So - you had finished Lunden, did other things and suddenly a drinking game appeared without any local trigger? Sounds like some bug that got resolved in a patch or by something random. (Apart from definitely being bugged to show an icon without an event.)

• Randelia

@kormac67

That is not what it was. I don't want to put any spoilers in here.

At some point after playing a certain shire many levels up from London I .... got the opportunity for a quest in Lunden. At the end of that quest there was a drinking challenger. It was part of the quest. I won't say anything further to avoid spoiling the surprise 🙂

• Kormac67
    1095 posts

@randelia The guy in the Governor's Villa? I don't remember him (or the villa) at all or anything leading me back to a drinking contest in Lunden.
    There is no other drinking contest icon in Lunden on my map.
    I believe the two guys from Lunden (Stowe and Erke) offered I should visit them at some point but I never got around to do it. Was it related to that?

• Randelia

@kormac67

yes. And at the end of that quest there will be a drinking challenger there.

the bug in the game is to show the drinking icon before that quest. Actually: it's not a "quest" per se just the opportunity to go to Lunden to visit your friends. And at the end there is a drinking challenger there. Don't want to say anything more about how that happened. Some folks might read this who haven't had that opportunity yet.

Kormac if you didn't go to visit them, maybe you still can. Go to Lunden to spoiler

Suggested Topics