ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• HIDDEN1NE
    Original poster 194 posts

So I’m not sure quite what’s going on, but for the last couple of game captures I took that had a decent amount of dialogue or at least Eivor talking, the dialogue itself has either been missing or severely drowned out in the recording. This hasn’t happened before to me, only starting I think after these last 2 patches, but not sure that it’s related. I play on Xbox Series X and usually with the new wireless Xbox Headset (with Dolby Atmos on) but sometimes I play just TV speakers. I’m not quite sure if it’s Valhalla, or something with the headset/Dolby, or the Xbox itself, but I was wondering if anyone else has come across a similar issue and perhaps knows a fix? It seems to be a problem with this game only, as it’s not the entirety of my sound that is gone in my recordings, just the dialogue is scuffed in some way.

Here’s a video to show what I mean:

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-LadyBlue
    Ubisoft Support Staff 278 posts

Hey @hidden1ne!

I'm sorry you're having some issues with the dialogue and thank you for the video and thorough description.

First, I'd ask that you run through the steps in our troubleshooting FAQ to see if it resolves the issue.

If it doesn't help:

• Does the missing dialogue happen whether you're using your headset or the TV speakers?
    • Have you had any normal dialogue at all or is it all muffled or missing?
    • If it's not always missing, have you found that it's normal in specific areas?

Thank you!

Official Response
  • HIDDEN1NE

@ubi-ladyblue

Hey thanks for responding! I tried those steps and it didn’t fix the issue, however I’ve seem to figure out more or less the cause.

So to answer your first question, it apparently only happens when my headset is connected; when I have it off and it’s just my tv speakers, the dialogue records. However when testing it, I found it only happens when I have an audio setting like Dolby or Windows Sonic selected (both 3D surround audio), which will then change the TV audio format from “Stereo Uncompressed” to “Headset Format”, and also disable any option to change it, which is something Xbox themselves have patched very recently and is where the cause lies I believe.

The only time dialogue will record with my headset is if I were to select Stereo Uncompressed for the headset, which then allows the TV to also remain in stereo uncompressed, and allows the dialogue to be recorded properly.

And so herein lies the problem: since before the Xbox’s audio settings were changed I was able to record no problem thanks to the TV staying in Stereo Uncompressed, I think this most recent “Headset format” forcing makes the overall sound in the new format for valhalla miss certain details, but shown most through the lack of dialogue (only when recording, playing real time all is fine). I’ve checked to see if any other games have a similar problem, both Ubisoft and other studio games, and it’s unfortunately only Valhalla that has this very specific issue. However while it’s only Valhalla that has this issue, I’m feeling like it’s not something that was caused by a valhalla patch, but by the new Xbox settings themselves, so who would be the fixer in this situation? I doubt xbox can really change yours or their code to fix it and vice versa for you guys, so am I just out of luck here? Thanks for the help 🙏

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2644 posts

Hey @hidden1ne

Thanks for the additional info. It certainly sounds like a confusing situation and hard for us to know who's programming it could be to fix it, but I'll forward a report to the dev team about it with the info you've provided here in case it is something that can be easily resolved on our side.

Official Response
  • HIDDEN1NE

@ubi-froggard

Thanks for the response! I figured it’s a confusing sort of specific situation, and I for one lean towards that Xbox update locking things up whereas before it was fine, it’s just interesting it’s only with Valhalla and only with certain parts of the overall sound. Thanks for forwarding to the team if they can fix things but all good if not, I’ve resigned to just recording it in my mind 😅

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2644 posts

No worries @hidden1ne. It may be worth reporting it to their support yourself too, just so they can be aware in case they see other reports of it too.

Official Response
  • HIDDEN1NE

@ubi-froggard

So just to update, for no reason at all the dialogue is now properly recording, headset and all. Not too sure what happened but no need for any more forwards, everything is fine now 😅 Thanks for helping me with it anyways and go ahead and close/delete this thread!

• UbiSushiVamp
    Community Representative 1138 posts

@hidden1ne Great! Happy to hear that its recording properly again. Not sure what happened for a bit there, however I am happy to hear that it is working normally for you again! I hope you have a happy rest of your day. 😊

Official Response

Suggested Topics