ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• SpazoTox
    Original poster 5 posts

I think i found a fix for all the crashes, the problem is the cache folder in document/Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder.

If i delete the cache folder and start the game the game doesnt crash, but while playing the game a new cache folder is generated and gets populated with library files and the game crashes randomly.
    but luckily windows allows us to block the folder from being accessed by the game, thus the game cant generate any folders inside the document/Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder.

Steps:
    delete all folders inside document/Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder except for the ACValhalla configuration file.
    Open windows defender security center
    click on virus & threat protection
    under virus & threat protection settings click manage settings
    scroll down until you see controlled folder access and click manage controlled folder access
    enable it
    click on protected folders
    add document/Assassin's Creed Valhalla to the list
    start the game, if you get a notification that acvalhalla.exe app is blocked from accessing the folder, you done it right

hopefully this works for you.

Update:
    Since i posted this, i didn't have any crashes. However the game attemped to make a new folder (Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder) somewhere else, in my case it was in the same drive where the game was installed.
    Follow the same steps, i am 100% sure that the cache folder is the culprit, i went from crashes every minute to no crashes, i even tried to crash the game, like alt tabbing a lot, leaving the game in background, and still the game wont crash.
    I am also running the game as admin, with windows 8 compatibility mode and disable fullscreen optimization enabled + i run the game manually from the root folder where the game.exe file is located.

Edit -  ignore the steps in my post, and just run the game in fullscreen, and don't use borderless in the game settings

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Mark.
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2554 posts

Hello @SpazoTox,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing this with our community!

I'm glad that these steps resolved crashes for you 🙂

Happy gaming and if you have any questions or concerns, please let us know!

Official Response
  • longjohn119
    1191 posts

@spazotox Full Screen Optimizations only matter if you are running in Borderless Windowed mode. What they actually do is simulate Exclusive Full Screen mode in the way the game handles swap chain buffers. In Exclusive Full Screen it does nothing. Since the last update or two I can't get Borderless Windowed to even work without crashes so I have it set to Exclusive Full Screen (just Full Screen in the Ubisoft settings) and I've also had to lock FPS to 60 and enable V-sync and while I still get an occasional crash it's every few days instead of every few hours or even minutes although they are completely random and without apparent cause, the game just unloads the VRAM (I can see it on my system monitor pictured below) and pukes to the desktop without any error messages. Still the crashes are annoying AF because it makes editing videos a real pain plus you end up having to do things twice and it seems like it never goes as well the second time. Plus the V-sync causes controller lag and usually at the least opportune time making things like timed/perfect dodges impossible to pull off and sometimes just trying to sidestep an incoming projectile doesn't work like it did in Odyssey (and most other games) you slam the joystick to the left or right and you just stand there for a second and get hit instead of taking a step to the side and letting the projectile fly past you.

My 7" LCD system monitor setup

• SpazoTox
    Original poster 5 posts

@longjohn119 Thanks for the explanation, and you are totally right. At first i thought the cache folder was maybe the issue but i was wrong, even though it lessen the crashes, that was not the issue. The issue was the borderless mode in the game setting. I dont know why, but i didn't try to run the game in fullscreen. Like you said, if i ran the game in fullscreen, i get zero crashes. I tried to delete the post, but it doesn't let me, because it is not relevant anymore, the crashes stopped once i enabled fullscreen instead of borderless.

So whoever is reading this, ignore the steps in my post, and just run the game in fullscreen, and don't use borderless in the game settings.

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2651 posts

@spazotox I've added an edit to the bottom of your post in bold for you 🙂

Official Response
  • Randelia
    156 posts

@SpazoTox @longjohn119

Thank you for this info. It has helped me: running since 2 days on Fullscreen without crashes.

The game used "borderless" as default after install and I never thought about changing it. Fullscreen mode, with the correct native settings for my tv works. I get about the same FPS and had no crashes since 2 days! Before the switch I had several a day.

I'll continue observing this and will report back if anything changes.

Thank you very much for this info! 🙂

• SpazoTox
    Original poster 5 posts

@longjohn119 @Randelia
    I keep seeing in the event viewer about nvlddmkm everytime the game keeps crashing 2 days ago, tried looking into it, and nvlddmkm is something about nvidia, so i rerolled to the nvidia driver 457.30, basically day 1 driver for ac valhalla, and updated my monitor, the crashes are completely gone.

So final verdict, run game in fullscreen, use nvidia driver 457.30, and update your monitor if you can, that's it, i think the problem is the nvidia driver, and the windows mode, keep it in fullscreen.
    I went from crashes every couple minutes to no crashes in 2 days.

Finally can play the game, lol 🙂

• SpazoTox
    Original poster 5 posts

@ubi-froggard Thank you very much 👍

• longjohn119
    1191 posts

@spazotox It's not the driver, I've been running 512.95, it a broken implementation of Windowed Borderless ..... Even in Full Screen it will still crash every so often, I had one yesterday and another today and the only thing in common with these crashes and the others I have documented on video is you freeze up for a couple of seconds, all the VRAM unloads and then you CTD. But in Windowed Borderless it will definitely crash and quite often

I haven't tried it though after the latest update but nothing was mentioned in the patch notes so it's probably still broken

• Randelia
    156 posts

@longjohn119

exactly. In Full Screen you still get crashes but much less. I get about 1 or 2 a day compared to around 8 in Borderless. I also have frequently short freezes where the game recovers. Some freezes though lead to CTD.

I tried rolling back to the earlier nvidia driver version but that crashed instantly on my PC after going into a fight.

Suggested Topics