ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• KADAJ86
    Original poster 3 posts

I don't normally post stuff like this but I am so angry and frustrated that I felt that I needed to. I've never seen such terrible fishing mechanics in a game. First off, a lot of fish are acquirable on the coast somewhere where the game encourages you to use a raft to get to them. You have to move with the schools of fish, only for the boat to break apart and have to swim to shore. The most frustrating of all is where I'll finally catch what I'm looking for and the fish gets caught on a rock or better yet, keeps swimming under the boat and Eivor won't reel it in. So many hours wasted on this ridiculous and extremely not fun activity. To top it off, Eivor doesn't move with the fish; he/she faces one direction going as far as to try and reel over their shoulder instead of turning to keep in front of it. As I stated, the most frustrating experience in the game so far. If you're going to put something like this in the game, don't make it a requirement to complete something because it's not fun and buggy as hell.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• XBL_Laberbacke
    648 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • longjohn119
    1341 posts
    So many hours wasted on this ridiculous and extremely not fun activity.

That pretty much describes most of the game .... Fishing, the drinking game, chasing tattoos, World Events, all the puzzles to open chests that has basic ore and furs, cursed symbols, Fly Agaric puzzles, animus glitch puzzles, stacking rock puzzles ..... I've skipped most of that nonsense and still have 55 hours in after finishing the Cent quests which is maybe half way through the game. I swear there are more puzzles and much less interesting ones than there is in Immortals Fenyx Rising which is supposed to be a puzzle/platformer not an action RPG

I think they only added all this nonsense so they could brag to investors about how many hours people have to put into the game and because it is simple and easy to program that even the Interns can do it

• Kormac67
    1134 posts

@kadaj86 Just row there with your viking ship and shoot them with the hunter bow. Doesn't consume arrows and Synin will pick them out of the water for you.

• Tejaz-Stormcrow
    1 posts

@kadaj86 well i agree the fishing is not the greatest for fun value , better than some ive played tho lol , but fishing mini games usually can get boring fast , only can think of a few i have liked ever , but the game actually encourages you to use your main boat lol ..and its faster to shoot them with a bow after you get the skills for your raven for to gather the fish and arrows , gaming is subjective i kinda like extra things to do in my rpg type games kinda breaks things up some , ive read so much whining on things in this game and the last couple rpg style.. funny when alot of it is from the old AC gaming fans about boring storys and combat gets boring lol .. oh compared to WHAT lol a short story of stealth instakills storys and missions .. OH lol the devs are probably tired of hearing it and will go back to a stealth parkour instakill mission style and everyone who likes the rpg syle will whine lol ... so boring .. anyway this was my first post ever ha ha .. ya the fishing does kinda suck .. shoulda used a shody stick pole with line tied on it and gave it some nice action with the chance to lose a fish .. BUT we would get mad if that was tough .. i like to eat dinner with a good game of Olag tho lol

• Wascaliwabbit
    63 posts

@longjohn119 there is nothing about any of those side activities that is required. some of us just enjoy solving little puzzles that are not part of the main plot, and having lots of them is appealing

• longjohn119
    1341 posts

@wascaliwabbit Not true at all ..... You need to loot those chests behind puzzles in order to upgrade your settlement and upgrade your weapons, armors, arrows and health. Now I could see putting the chests for armor or Abilities behind a puzzle but 90+% of the chests in the game is just stupid. It's excessive and unnecessary and you don't see than nonsense in other AAA RPGs. It's like the difference between having a couple of beers after work and drinking a case of beer every night ..... Moderation is the key

• Randelia
    431 posts

fishing: yes, for me it's horrible also if using the fishing line. So I just use the hunter bow to fish to gain silver to buy stuff in the store each time I level up. I have aim assist set to full (playing with controller), and the aim assist is working often enough to fish comfortably with the hunting bow. I swim in the water or wade, spam odin's sight, and point the bow in the area where I have spotted the fish. Mostly then the aim assist works.
    For me though synin does not pick up the arrows, just the fish I manage to shoot. I just buy new arrows afterwards.

I somehow had enough opals when the "Splintered Shooter" hunting bow was offered in Reda's shop and got it. It's really awesome for fishing: several times I manage to get a headshot in with aim assist on full. Then the bow explodes the arrow on impact and it kills several fish. Synin gets one of them, I just swim over and automatically get the rest by swimming over them. With this bow I can get much more fish with my amount of arrows.
    If you fish for silver it's definitely worth the investment.

Just one thing: the big oceanic fish Arth in the Fishing Hut is asking for I somehow cannot get with the bow. They're gone each time I try them. It looks like you need the fishing line for them. Some of them run around my boat when I'm out on sea. Never in the harbor to shoot them. I just gave up on them for now.

• pesto.
    366 posts

Listen have you tried actual real life fishing? This is way superior, you’re in the comfort of your own home, there’s no skill involved or way to fail, no chance of hooking your neighbor or your own backside while casting, no having to deal with horrible smelly fish if you accidentally catch one, no dealing with psychotic cyclists on footpaths, dogs stealing your packed lunch, no need to puncture live worms, no need to go out into all that disgusting nature with its rain and cold and [censored] geese and swans and ducks… I mean sure in terms of a game mechanic fishing is always not, a good one that is, but it sure beats the real thing.

My main two issues with fishing in Valhalla are that it’s too shallow and too easy. I don’t want crazy difficult fishing but I do want it to feel like there’s some skill involved other than aim right and mash the button, something that feels more interactive and… gamified? I also wish there were a few “legendary” fish or something that require certain conditions and maybe a couple of different types of bait or hooks. I’m glad it’s in there. But wish it were more of a well rounded subgame.

• Vykyng666
    68 posts

Fishing with bow never gets old. If only game did not randomly crash (again, it seemed to be stable a few months ago when I last played it).
    Wait... there are players who actually use fishing line? Mental.

• Randelia
    431 posts

@Vykyng666 Same here: fishing with bow does spawn more crashes than other gameplay. Since I switched to fullscreen from borderless (on PC) it's a lot less but fishing with its rapid moves sees more crashes. I save each time before I start fishing and right afterwards.

Using fishing line was much nicer in Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved that fishing mission with Joseiah and Dutch. In Valhalla I tried a few times in the beginning then gave up. Unfortunately I need silver each level up to afford the leather/ore, and a few runes at the store. Never get enough from chests to level up the stuff I get. So I need to be able to fish quickly. Hence the bow.

• FeliciaFinesse
    14 posts

I hated fishing off boats because of the same issue with the fish going under. I don't understand the use of the analog stick during fishing, it does nothing for me. Anyway, I found it better to fish off of the coast rather than a boat. There is not a single fish I have been unable to acquire off the coast, and all I am missing is the fish needed from Norway. I googled where I could find the fish I needed & tried the different locations. Another thing I would add is mediating never brought me more fish, so that tip is BS IMO.

• A Former User
    0 posts

I like fishing, just to be contrarian. But I don't have time for that cause I got a lot of stuff to do. Once I'm starting on it for real I'm sure I'll hate it.

Suggested Topics