ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Asterix201252
    Original poster 412 posts

I have been aware that I seem to need to make extra Filaments for a while now. I can't be more specific about when I think it started, but I don't think it' always been this way. I originally thought that this was related to the Warehouse distribution issues discussed elsewhere, but now I'm not so sure. I was running out of Steam Carriages, and was trying to find out why, since I thought I had enough factories.
    It seems like the statistics for Filaments could have an error in either the use or manufacture side. As you can see in the first attached video, my production of Steam Carriages is variable, but well below the theoretical production rate. I have Susannah the Steam Engineer, so they use Filaments instead of Steam Motors. I realised that their factories are frequently running out of filaments. As can be seen, I am producing a significant surplus of Filaments (10+), so I should be building up large stocks of them. However, I only ever have a very small number in stock.
    I think there is a bug in the statistics values for Filaments.

I brought a ship load of filaments from the Old World. As seen in the second video, the production of Steam Carriages immediately jumped to the theoretical maximum, so it doesn't look like a distribution problem. The stock of Filaments was slowly reducing, even though I had a theoretical surplus of more than 10.

I have attached a save file to ticket number [REDACTED]. The ship with a load of Filaments is waiting at the Trading Post in Roscoff.

EDIT Ticket number added

EDIT
    I have continued play, and have captured the stock/time graph, as below. For whatever reason that I can't figure out, the stock is reducing by 5 tons/minute, despite having a production surplus of at least 12 tons/min over the same period. At the moment, I am making up the shortfall by importing via the Docks.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SirHarryPierce
    213 posts

@asterix201252 can you please check if your internal storages can keep up with the production cycles, combined with warehouse ramp availability?

If you have extreme high production efficiency, items can overflow internal storage and disappear from stock, which will mean a down trend over time, due to the statistics screen only showing `optimal output` and not `realistic output`.

Secondary, check if your "pick up" routes for your factories have a pickup frequency that is high enough to fill the internal input storage ~ this mostly has a relation to pick up distance ~ especially the pick up distance between your filament factory and the factories. If the reservation in the filament factory has a slow pick-up from the carriage factory, the internal storage of the filament factory will not overflow due to its own efficiency as stated in the first investigation, but due the inefficiency of pickup by the factory.

You can kill direct transfers by denying your carriage factories access to filament industries, by setting up specific road works that disallow direct pickups due to the distance for pickup or by having your filament factories only cater directly to warehouses. The last solution however blocks fire trucks or police stations reaching your building, so consider this in your design.

Most record buildings ran into these issues you present above. Fox's discord is a good place to discuss these matters.

• SirHarryPierce
    213 posts

Extreme example to show splitting flows, while considering emergency services.

• SirHarryPierce
    213 posts

Another extreme setup, but then with several production units. Notice that no production units cart `reach` can link to another building in the chain, plus note the fact, that you can content with a very low volume of warehouses.

• Asterix201252

@sirharrypierce
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I am pretty sure it's not the internal storage of the Filament factories overflowing. I went back to the save associated with the first video and looked at several of the factories; one close to the Cab Assembly lines, one close to my Light Bulb factories and one as far from either as I could. I looked at each for a minute or two, and never saw any evidence of overflow. The max storage is 2 and I never even saw that, either 0 or 1. Also, I looked at the nearby warehouses and saw no evidence of ramp overflow.
    I appreciate your experience with the game, but wouldn't these sort of issues lead to some fluctuation in the production rate shown, and probably the rate at which the stock is diminishing. However, both of them seem to be rock-solid.
    In one of my earlier saves, where I had a quoted over-production of 16, I did notice that the production was fluctuating and the internal storage was filling up with an overflow warning. However, I noticed that I had reached the total storage capacity of the island so that would totally explain it.
    Also, what I didn't say is that this problem only seems to happen with Filaments. You will see that I also have a significantly higher production rate with Glass, and I don't get the same problem. Bicycles is also at 100 tons/minute without problems.
    I tried having a look in the Old World, where the production rates are much lower,. Unfortunately, the game has been running for so long that even my relatively small overproduction has led to the island storage being full, so the rates are meaningless as they are curtailed by capacity.

You may well be right that this is some sort of weird effect associated with high production boosts in the factories. They are running at just over 400% in the video above, but so are the glass factories. It may well be another effect of some of the strange delivery cart behaviour that we have both complained about before. But it just seems different. It seems like, only for Filaments, there is a production shortfall that doesn't appear in statistics. What I haven't done is to find out whether there is a similar effect at lower production rates. I could probably go further and further back in the Autosaves, but I don't have the energy for it at the moment (I've actually been taking a break from the game for the last few days). I might well take another look sometime soon.

As I said, I am making up the shortfall with imports. Filaments are fairly cheap and I have significant unused production of Steam Motors that I don't use anywhere which I can sell.

Again, thanks for the help.

• SirHarryPierce
    213 posts

@asterix201252 you can set a dump route from an island into any destination, with a minimum stock on the island, to test realistic output.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 4080 posts

Hey there guys!

Thanks for your suggestions and help here @SirHarryPierce !

Just checking in to see how you've been getting on with this @Asterix201252 ?

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@ubi-theberry
    As I said to @sirharrypierce, I haven't really been playing for a week or so now, so I haven't done any more detailed analysis . As you will see, I did check whether the internal storage was filling up, and as far as I can tell that isn't the case. I believe that the production rate would fluctuate if this was the mechanism, but it is absolutely solid. Also, it only happens with Filaments. If it was a distribution issue, I would certainly expect it to affect Glass as well. This has nearly double the production rate and has a very similar setup into the Factires that use it, primarily Light Bulbs (the biggest consumer) and Spectacles.
    I still believe that there is a bug in the statistics for Filaments. I often find myself short of them when the statistics suggest that shouldn't be the case.
    Did you manage to retrieve the save file that I attached to the ticket (see original post)? This will show that the factories are all fairly closely coupled, and that the problem with the factories that use Filaments only seems to occur when there is no warehouse stock.

• Ubi-TheBerry
    Ubisoft Support Staff 4080 posts

Hey @Asterix201252

I'm very sorry for the delay - I haven't been able to find the case you're referring to so if you could please resend your save, it'd be appreciated if this is still ongoing.

I'll then have the team check this out.

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@Ubi-TheBerry
    Sure. Reposted the save file on ticket

• Ubi-Verse
    Ubisoft Support Staff 976 posts

@Asterix201252 Hi there and thank you for providing your save game 😊 Our colleagues will take it from here. I've also deleted your case number, as that is sensitive information and shouldn't be posted in public.

Thanks again!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@Ubi-Verse
    Thanks for confirming receipt.

I do however have a question regarding what you say about not posting ticket numbers. In the sticky post "How to report a bug in Anno 1800", you specifically suggest that save files should be provided via a ticket, and this is my preferred way to do it. I prefer not to put direct links to my files on a public forum. It is my understanding, based on a reply to an old post by Ubisoft Support Staff, that the only people who can access a specific ticket are the person who raised it and Ubisoft Support Staff. So, what is the sensitivity here?
    How can you access a specific ticket without me providing the number? Is it sufficient for you to find it if I just post that I have raised a ticket (maybe with a date and time)?
    If there is a specific way that you want ticket information passed to you, maybe the sticky post can be updated telling people how to reference the ticket in their posts.

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3613 posts

Hey Asterix201252 thank you for your query. Without going into too much detail about Ubisoft policies, if a player tells us they have created a support ticket on the forums, any Support agent can find that ticket without needing the case number so our agents should be able to further assist you. Our company has certain GDPR rules about what can and can not be posted on the forum - case numbers are one of them - we must delete them from public view to keep in line with our GDPR policy for security, that is all I can say on the subject, however! Thanks for creating a case with us for further investigation.

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@Ubi-Milky
    Thanks for the feedback. I understand GPDR rules can limit what information is on public view..
    Can I respectfully suggest that you consider updating the "Sending us your save file" section of the How To Report a Bug sticky post to say something like "Please do not include the case (ticket) number in your post, we can find the ticket without it". I actually included it because I was trying to be helpful. I do always cross reference the post in the ticket, and presumably there is no problem with that.

• Ubi-Milky
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3613 posts

No problem Asterix201252 and thanks for the feedback on our pinned post, I will share this with the wider support team as a suggestion for bug reporting informative posts, in general, to be considered!

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@Ubi-Milky
    Thanks.

Let's also hope the devs can work out what's happening from the bug report.

• Ubi-Thrupney
    Ubisoft Support Staff 2894 posts

Heya @Asterix201252 - agreed! I'm confident our team will be doing everything possible to get this looked into.

Just to let you know, I went ahead and made a couple of changes to the stickied thread, per your suggestion. It was a good shout! Thanks for the feedback 😉

Official Response
  • Asterix201252

@Ubi-Thrupney
    You're welcome. Those additions look great

• Ubi-LadyBlue
    Ubisoft Support Staff 545 posts

Glad you like them @Asterix201252! 💙

Official Response

Suggested Topics