ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• R4NK_S1
    1 posts

@AI-BLUEFOX Hey mate! How do you do?

I was long time absent I know, but I was extremely frustrated with the release of Breakpoint and couldn't bear that all the great & constructive feedback given in advance and during the development process has mostly been ignored so therefore I stayed away from this forum. But the cancellation of Frontline has given me some much needed hope.

I honestly wish this acts as a walk-up call and from now on Ubisoft considers the feedback they get by their longtime community. I mean they could deliver great games in the past: GR 1, GR 2, GR 2 - Summit Strike, R6 3, R6 - Broken Arrow, R6 Critical Hour etc. So I really hope they take the older games into account during the development process. A change of direction is definitely needed for this franchise, heck not only for Ghost Recon, yes I am looking at you Rainbow Six...

• AI.BLUEFOX
    Original poster 241 posts

@R4NK_S1 all good thanks.

I can give them a pass for Breakpoint, because they at least recognised, acknowledged and did something about it. I also welcomed the cancellation of Frontline. However, the very existence of both is a concern. It's good that they listened to the community and reacted, but the paradox, as many here would point out, is that they shouldn't have had to. These two and Narco Road point to a lack of understanding of the GR community and what GR is.

• AgentMikel
    222 posts

Did.... did.... did they just cancelled Fortnite!? 😮 😳
    Oh... sorry.... no..... I had just misread the title... 😉

• Kean_1
    173 posts

.....but I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the overwhelming criticism of the reveal played no small part in the eventual cancellation.

I know I'm quoting myself above but this is no longer an assumption on my part.

Seems the VP of the editorial team at Ubisoft Fawzi Mesmar confirmed earlier this month that the negative feedback was precisely the reason Frontline was cancelled.

"Following the feedback that we've collected from our players in the playtest, we found that that game basically was not meeting the players' expectations,” he said. Although it took a play test to realize the fans negative reaction to the reveal had merit.

He said he "noticed" that response but “wanted to also collect the feedback of the players once they've experienced the game, not just the messaging around the game.”

The play test reaction simply confirmed what we all knew.

What floors me is that they couldn't draw the same conclusions themselves. However, I'm also concerned that in the same article I read about this, Ubisoft mentioned that players were expecting more stealth gameplay. .....the reason for the backlash extends way beyond just that simple aspect which (I would think) should be obvious if they really listened.

• Mars388502
    226 posts

@Kean_1 the la paragraph make reconsider the idea to take a trip to Paris with a cardboard panel and be a one man demonstration right below Ubisoft's office... maybe this might just give them a hint on what's wrong

• Kean_1
    173 posts
    @Kean_1 the la paragraph make reconsider the idea to take a trip to Paris with a cardboard panel and be a one man demonstration right below Ubisoft's office... maybe this might just give them a hint on what's wrong

.....Ubi's reaction:

• Mars388502
    226 posts

@Kean_1 this one had me rolling on the floor, laughing my eyes out. Gjank you Kean, it made my day

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1278 posts
    @Mars388502 the la paragraph make reconsider the idea to take a trip to Paris with a cardboard panel and be a one man demonstration right below Ubisoft's office... maybe this might just give them a hint on what's wrong

.....Ubi's reaction:

Bwahahahahahahahaha, No kidding... when smokes and mirrors is not enough.

UBi's no longer a Gaming Publisher/Studio but a Political Party trying to bamboozle people any which way possible.

Classic.!!!

P.S.: But then again, I am sure only a handful believed they were being honest with their response.

• AI.BLUEFOX

@Kean_1 I haven't read the article, but from what you have said it was the reaction to the playtests that caused the cancellation rather than the reveal itself?

As the open playtest was cancelled then the playtests should have all occurred before the reveal. Which begs the question, why go through the reveal?? I'm really interested because it suggests Ubisoft didn't trust the feedback from those early tests.

• Kean_1
    173 posts

@AI-BLUEFOX

@Kean_1 I haven't read the article, but from what you have said it was the reaction to the playtests that caused the cancellation rather than the reveal itself?

As the open playtest was cancelled then the playtests should have all occurred before the reveal. Which begs the question, why go through the reveal?? I'm really interested because it suggests Ubisoft didn't trust the feedback from those early tests.

If you recall, there was to be a public playtest just days after the reveal which was immediately cancelled after the significant criticism from fans. Also, when it was announced the game would be cancelled, Ubisoft cited economic reason for their decision. It wasn't until recently they finally admitted it was due to the negative reaction from a playtest which apparently occurred after the reveal which I mentioned in my post:

He said he "noticed" that response but “wanted to also collect the feedback of the players once they've experienced the game, not just the messaging around the game.”

This is the quote from Stephen Totilo of Axios via Twitter who had an interview with Ubi in Paris earlier this month:

On Ghost Recon Frontline:
    - Assumption was there were a market for Ghost Recon PvP
    - Negative reaction to Oct announcement was noticed 
    - Reaction to players' subsequent play tests is what did game in and led to mid-2022 cancellation (Was it that bad??)

More from that interview: “Following the feedback that we've collected from our players in the playtest, we found that that game basically was not meeting the players' expectations,” said Mesmar, speaking to Axios Gaming.
    Mesmar also revealed that Ubisoft very much took notice of Frontline's negative reception as soon as it was revealed last October. The announcement trailer is still live, and currently sits at 8,700 dislikes to 2,000 likes.

Despite this, Ubisoft was eager to keep development going until Frontline was ready for public testing. "[We] wanted to also collect the feedback of the players once they've experienced the game, not just the messaging around the game," Mesmar says, hoping that Frontline would win players over with its battle royale gameplay.

....so it appears they did have a playtest after the reveal and when the reaction was also negative, that is when they decided to cancel the game.

https://www.thegamer.com/ghost-recon-frontline-cancelled-negative-play-test/

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1278 posts

I wonder what would have happened if they had call it " Frontline " and that's it without trying desperately to cash in with the TC/GR headings?

Personally speaking, I wouldn't have cared 1 bit since I am not into PvP and perhaps lots and lots of other people that are into PvP would have not cared either but, and again personal opinion, because of Ubi's greed and Cash Cow mentality is where they screwed the pooch!

• AI.BLUEFOX

@Kean_1 The article has it a bit wrong I think. The reveal for "the Top Secret project" Frontline was 5th October last year during the 20th anniversary showcase.

The technical test was called off a week later. Well originally postponed indefinitely but then the game scrapped anyway. https://www.eurogamer.net/tomorrows-ghost-recon-frontline-closed-test-has-been-indefinitely-delayed.

The play test feedback was gathered before the reveal, so I think they went ahead with it on the basis that, if the reception was as poor as the play testers told them it would be (I'm pretty sure any GR community play testers would have told them exactly what to expect), then they'd cancel.

• Megalodon-26
    335 posts

@AI-BLUEFOX There was a closed beta in January 2022. Some of the footage leaked online, but was quickly taken down.

• Kean_1
    173 posts
    @AI-BLUEFOX There was a closed beta in January 2022. Some of the footage leaked online, but was quickly taken down.

Yeah, I also think it's pretty obvious by the quotes in the interview from Ubi and what the interviewer stated that there was a play test after the negatively received reveal in Oct. Perhaps there was also one prior but I have no reason to suspect they are remembering wrong or misquoting unless someone has inside knowledge on what exactly happened they would like to share.

In either case, they still didn't admit the real reason for the cancellation until now.

Suggested Topics