ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• RobvD84
    Original poster 3 posts

There has been a update from Ubisoft that there a couple of games that have been cancelled or delayed. And have a feeling The Settlers is going to be one of the games that have been cancelled. Mainly because it's been giving them a headache and the fanbase will be extremely hard to please. Not to mention they have to come up with something really good to offset the [censored] they have done to the game. So yeah i think this game is giving them too much trouble, even tho they probably spent a lot of money/resources on it, i have feeling it's too much for them to bother.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• UltimateSD
    29 posts

@RobvD84
    I think that would be for the best. It would spare the franchise to die another day.
    The way I see it, there are four possible timelines ahead of us:
    1) The game releases as is, maybe with some small improvements compared to the closed beta. Critics will (rightfully) tear it apart and the franchise will be dead for at least another ten years, if not forever.
    2) The game releases as is, like above, but is somehow a success. UbiSoft would see this as confirmation that they did the right thing, the franchise will continue, but be nothing more than a shell of what it used to be. The Settlers I and many others grew up with will be lost forever.
    3) The game is cancelled and the franchise is put on hiatus again.
    4) The game is renamed in "Kingdoms of Anteria" and becomes a footnote as another generic fantasy RTS without substance. The Settlers franchise remains scarred, but might survive.

• PrivateJammy
    5 posts

@RobvD84 The report I saw referred only to Ghost Recon Frontline, Splinter Cell VR and two other unannounced games.

The Settlers is not an unannounced game and they have been inviting people to test servers as recently as 2 months ago. If it was going to be cancelled, there's no reason why it wouldn't have been mentioned specifically at that announcement.

The game is essentially finished, and would have been released already if it wasn't for the poor feedback from the closed Beta Test. There is a lot of thirst for this title, but it needs to be right. A back-to-basics re-boot just wasn't quenching that thirst but hopefully they have taken all the comments on board and elevated it to where it needs to be.

• LaurieBrooker
    10 posts

Stunned that this is being said and disappointed in the arrogance of some players with an inflated sense of their knowledge of development. That said I have something to consider based on my extensive marketing background;
    First; The best projects of ANYTHING are always the ones with a clear vision and a plan that includes some flexibility but determination so that if all things cannot be achieved the vision will ultimately trump distractions.
    Second; Very little is achieved when something is developed by consensus or committee. In games, consensus is impossible and commitees rarely produce a vison- only a democratically agreed product.
    A motto I have followed; THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING
    The Settlers is The Settlers - not Civ Settlers, not Rise of Settlers, not Settlers Skylines, not Age of Settlers...................... The Settlers ...come on guys, you know how to make a game; just pay attention to the past feedback from the franchise and consolidate an already good game with the new graphics and engine and have faith in your vision. Build it and I will come.

• UltimateSD
    29 posts

@LaurieBrooker I'm curious, which Settlers title do you consider most representative of The Settlers? Because that's the thing that's different for every player, and in my experience depends greatly on which was the first game of the series one has played.

• LaurieBrooker
    10 posts

@UltimateSD Can't decide between 4 and 7 for me - what is it that makes them 'representative'?

1. Doesn't feel like any other game and (until now) hasn't tried to be.
    2. The Lighting
    3. Simple to understand workflows (remember I'm 68...)
    4. (and the main one) The Settlers Joie de Vie!
  • LaurieBrooker
    10 posts

@UltimateSD sorry...meant Joie de Vivre - I'm over post-apocalyptic depression games and how so many games have battle as an unavoidable element...once again, 68 so you know where I stand. But I do have over 400 games so I do try...

Suggested Topics