ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 0 Likes/10 Replies/276 Views
    EN075
    Original poster 192 posts

A recent article in reuters (HERE): (https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/exclusive-tencent-plans-raise-stake-assassins-creed-maker-ubisoft-sources-2022-08-04/?utm_source=reddit.com) got my attention. (Edit: This forum is such trash- put in a hyperlink and... sigh.)

I admit, finance-speak isn't my strength but there is some language that suggests Tencent is looking to become the majority stakeholder of Ubisoft which would undoubtedly influence the path forward in terms of game marketing and design.

I don't know much about Tencent frankly- other than that I'd also read recently that one of Ubisoft's developers / talents recently moved over there. I don't know much about their game development history, past / current titles... I'm assuming some of you do so I'm curious: Does this bode well for our beloved Tom Clancy: Ghost Recon genre or is it just one more nail in a coffin made of nails?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Megalodon-26
    335 posts

@EN075 Tencent is Chinese company, which is basically the Chinese government, that goes around buying up video game companies, and currently owns or has shares in over 40 studios, publishers, or gaming related industries, like Discord. Currently they only own 5% of Ubisoft, but own or have controlling shares in the studios behing league of Legends and Back 4 Blood. It's unclear if them buying Ubi would be a good thing or not, because we don't know how tight they would be with the purse strings, to develop the games properly, or if they would force Ubi to monetize their games even more. For example, instead of having something similar to Maria's shop in the next game, where you can play to earn some cosmetics and weapons by playing, everything could be added as MTX's. Or they could eliminate MTX's altogether. We just don't know.

• EN075
    Original poster 192 posts

@Megalodon-26 Very good points... I hadn't thought about the MTX thing. And in fact I'm not as vehemently opposed to MTX in the right context- I'm not familiar with LoL or B4B so not sure how those are set up... Wondering if there's some precedent with another title they absorbed and polished to make better or that they ruined.

I daydream about the game I want to play... all of it centered around one common theme: What I do has to make a difference in the world- action / reaction... choices with consequences but also benefits. Choosing your actions on a priority based criteria. Open for modding- High fidelity combat happening in the world around us that we can choose to engage in- or not... with an impact to my character and those sharing the space around me.

Sigh.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1287 posts

Yes, this forum blows chunks when it comes to doing things that most forums were doing back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I know little to nothing about that company and I just hope that it doesn't end up being that UBI was the lesser of 2 evils but then again, I am about done, I have lost all hope that UBI can comeback with a decent, proper and mature GR so if this new Company (or whomever buys them out) decides to shelve GR, well, with all the hurt & pain in my heart I will much rather that then another Breakpoint fiasco.

They could bring Flatline back for all I care. Well, just as long as they don't call it GR. 😖 😰

• DNH_17
    239 posts

It's very hard that Tencent Buys Ubisoft, unless they get a lot of money. But it could happen. ANything is possible.
    Consider that Ubisoft is used to launch anti Chinese messages, I mean the breakpoint beta testing to extract info on how to make a good game (which is the one that will be announced in the next months or next year) and released maybe in 2024 or after, is all based on the data that people playing GRB have given, this exact game in the role of Ito had clearly the same figure of what Taiwan is... and what US does all over the places for economical interests of its lobbies and control of commerce and IP, spy stations, placement of black sites for torture, selling their own weapons (signing exclusive-buy contracts - warlord industry is huge in US, not just there - run especially by Israel investors... see Arkansas) and so on...
    I don't think Ubisoft that hosted these type of very subtle euphemism to actually describe what is clearly a pro US message, will ever get to the other hands than "atlantic agenda" supporting parties.

PUBG got in the hands of Indians after being made by Greene know how copying AA (2001) (a game made to push more kids to enlist to join the ludicrious war on terror that US elites needed to position spy centers around China and lock its BRI initiative), so much ludicrious several depictions and events tell the truth on it.., inspiration to Green and Blue hole that was "run" from him, was also the amazing OFP (2001) and of course the movie from Japan (all about the ultra competitive culture that was born after US imposed with the 2 atomic bombs a democratic system in Japan which has nothing to do with democracy, and also a free trade and so on which led to a strange cultural assimiulation of schools and competition to the highest level so much that battle royale was born there as a mutation of what was imported from US... yes this is a very short way to explain something but ... to the smart, few words we say here.

I think it's hard Ubisoft is gonna sell the TClancy licences...

Today and the future of gaming is player shaped.
    You can see it from GRB testing (tons of options and stuff that should be not sold as a PLUS but as the standard!) and ...
    you can see on how PUBG has changed ( you literally can shape your game now there are several in game tools that feel consisten and stuff that happens in the map... compared to 2017...
    you can see the Fortnite trend that was making the game fighting based on ability to shape the game by players
    You can see huntshowdown that is a Microtransactions FILLED game now due to the dire straits in which Crytek due to incompetent management (Turkish lads that maybe don't care at all about video game design as for IOI) are now all about cash flow and DLC and model selling (that's the "new content" for gamArs...)

The game of the future is shapable. You can see it with Vandaahr mod he called "spartan mod"...

The problem is that if GR is a game for all, it's not gonna click. It's not gonna do anything but fail.
    Or they go "Jedi fallen order" mode on, which is higly probable. They might choose this way also for the HUUUUGE backlash they, at Ubisoft, have had in last 5 years (everyone says "it's Ubisoft" nowadays)... infact Ubiusoft if one reads the history of design and has plaeyud games is a company that acquires STUFF, it doesn't create it. NEver forget it. They are more Modders, not really creators.

Far Cry wasn't theirs.
    Prince of persia is the real concept of ACreed.
    MAssive Entertainment is the author of THe Division
    Do I need to say more?!

They are modders, they get modders in the teams.
    In fact also games they made have shown this in last years: New Dawn is a mod. There are 2 mods in Far Cry 5 too (zombies and Vietnam) those are clear expressions of what Ubisoft is.

GRW is clearly a modded game. THe development risked to fail as far as I heard and Ubisoft managed with tons of money to keep it alive and make it deliver somehow, but one can see clearly is not a finished game... it has to be reloaded when one switch modes, it doesn't retain settings, it has several unfinished stuff..

They are a company of producers, investors. Not a game design company.

The biggest company in EU of game designers is CD Project Red and then of course there are tons of great ones also small, however Ubisoft is not a game developer really.

I don't think Ubisoft can be acquired but by mergers and finance teams like when Vivendi that doesn't know anything of videogames tried to grab it ..(to kill it) but then it was opposed by an inner Poison pill, internal investment, then the sexual allegations came and Ubisoft got some hits and tons also of devs have left the company... if you get attacked by anyone who can claim you have made sexual harassment of course nobody is gonna stay in the company... if in the company creates a eye for an eye mood, the entire thing needs to be reset burned to the ground and recreated. In fact there is a high turn over, like 1 year and you are out (if you read in some studios feedbacks on job posts web sites that collect reviews on jobs)...

Like this u can't make a game and barely mod them.

Who is gonna buy what? Buy maybe licences that were bought or acquired by Ubisoft, yes.. mayeb that's the only value that Ubisoft has.
    Tons of people are going home as the new acquisition group would immediately close the exaggeratedly expanded company with way too many studios. (expanding like this is a typical operation a company in the descending phase of its company-life does) excessively expensive number of studios that do not talk to each other very well... most of the work is just outsourced despite the 10.000 workers in Ubisoft, what the hell is anyone going to do?

In september famine and heavy crisis is coming. With the crisis that is coming tons of companies and project will just be burned.
    I think Ubisoft is going back to Canada and starting from there but who is going to buy in this new adventure?

Yes in the post I speak of other things while at the end of the sentences speaking of the topic, but going around in circles is useful to grab other water to the pool and complete the picture, of what is going on.

Ubisoft is also a cultural tool, and culture is one of the most important things. (it's how wars are won) - Ghost recon in the specific is supported also by 5.11 from which it receives money for inserting in the game their stuff. (in game advertising and other sort of similar Promotion like Product placement)... GR needs a new structure to be sustainable. It's really the formula of new games by AAA game producing companies that does not work with GHOST RECON. You can't make this type of event and model\skins selling scheme with a title like this one. It's gonna be just trash. It needs like research based work, it needs a "limited" but extremely reach and consistent circle in which developed stuff need to be. It can't be like Hunt Showdown is doing, burning their amazing IP since 3 years iwth just request of DLC buy, Skins and other models purchase to support the ... the next game (not even the game itself, as the game itself once it just dedicates itself to make skins and models to sell is bascially in maintenance mode and there is no "Game as a Service" myth that holds: games as a service is just a ridicolous story few can execute with respect to the players and their time, the game and the developers themselves.

Just see the british have bought not only the entire Euro Song Festival held in Italy but also the Euro Woman Soccer competition just ended: do they think people are stupid? They put a Ukrainian referee at the final match. I mean... Are they kidding?

This is straight out much more than cold war... we are in the middle of hot war as the atlantic mafia is crumbling and I fear there won't be much more space for games that have extreme tones like TClancy cool universe, but it's gonna be reality directly materializing our worse fears.

• AI.BLUEFOX
    247 posts

It doesn't look like Tencent is buying games companies from anything other than a business standpoint. In other words they are just expecting future growth and profit, maybe technology ownership as well, and won't be looking for day to day editorial involvement.

However, I can see them putting pressure on to ensure certain lines aren't crossed - a GR set around events in Taiwan would stand a good chance of being interfered with. That in addition to a more ruthless approach to finances - in spite of the hate Ubisoft garners for profit making, the Guillemot family does have an emotional attachment to their creation and care about their franchises - means investment decisions in game development will be harder for niche games like the GR we want. Ironically although that would have meant a much higher chance that Breakpoint would have been a Wildlands 2, the flip-side is that we may well not have had a Wildlands in the first place.

All in all I don't see a takeover of Ubisoft being a good sign for GR fans. At best we wont get anything less or worse, but the most likely outcome, if they are only looking for 15% ownership, is not much change at all. The niggling worry is that Ubisoft has a shooter, but it under performs businesswise compared to the juggernauts like CoD and Battlefield. That may mean GR gets a load of unwelcome attention from money men.

• DNH_17
    239 posts

@AI-BLUEFOX

There is no need to talk of Taiwan, or direct reference. Just like Arma did in 2001 (RusVsUS fantasy), and later... But also the Bodark itself, is all about talking of reality with euphemisms. Auroa is already Taiwan.
    (what I appreciate after all is that Ubisoft or any company does not do "The whole thing" always, and leaves the players space to actually adapt the game to their needs. This is a HUGE HUMBLENESS but also smart mindset a company making games should always try to have. Ok.. Bohemia Interactive did create a game on purpose thjat is moddable and made basically become a reality a sort of Homeric approach of modders to the game: this is epic. People can tell stories through ArmA games\mods\editing...
    But also Rockstars despite being against mods and so on.. (because it's their fault, having created a huge money based MTX system that makes kiddos and what not greedy - the shark credits -- they found themselves being overwhelmed by those who created mods that bypassed the system and generated free credits for these cheaters...) allows to make great mods work on their game which of course could not be developed in a way for all... I need dark nights, I need longer day similar to reality (not 3 minutes = 1 h, like GRW has, which is too fast - but this needs to be adapted per individual, as not all have a PC that can handle things..) and here the discussion is long.. so i cut it "short".
    But then... You have Ubisoft that made basically impossible to make mods: so much that mods came out just recently... but I almost never saw mods for Ubisoft games:
    and no, it's not because all the players of Ubisoft accept the vanilla versions, nor because there are no players that like the immersive\hardcore\improvement of a game towards simulation and realism (depending on the concept the game has: from Primal, to GR, to others).

We exist. THe problem is that games for everyone is the wrong way to design a game. When you propose such a project to an expert maker\game developer this guy or woman will just drop the offer if he\she knows that you are trying to make a game "for everyone".

Anyway the reality we have now is given from the situation of the market. That is why (many don't even realize what is happening I think) we have "Test games" which are not games, embellished with all sort of lipstick on pork lips, which people for affection or real carry of who knows what interest get into it, do play, and from that you get (no wonders it will be distorted from the low quality of it) data that will be used to make the real game.

So what will come is basically a GRB enhanced, with 2018 (the so called closed beta testing) to 2022 collected data.

This is how game making in last 6 years started to work: (always) online is because you get to monitor the player (infact if you all noticed, many game companies, especially Ubisoft brags about it and wrongly claims: "we will draw the game on you as a suit") going into your space, and every single mouse turn, ever time one crouches, every time one sprints, EVERYTHING is collected and these data analyzed.
    From that you get people in finance who actually exploit players "breathe", how we do ping cursors, crouch, run, shoot how we use the weapons or menu especially, everything is used to push the player into spending more money as lackluster software will be created so that the player needs to buy more stuff to actually have satisfaction. This is what has been installed into game companies. Extremely greedy and careerist individuals who do not care for a work in a team, but actually getting high in the organigram and adding a tick to their belt of "I made this company earn a lot, so get me a bigger wage you that hire me next"...

Instead before the companies used to have these crews of crazy people that knew each other, and had a good leader who has taste, and several members in this team with similar mindset that know what they are doing (see Ground branch, see Ready or not, see even GR Wildlands!) and basically these researched or were already knowledgable (because the opposite is making doing things to developers who know nothing, of what is the game concept or anyway what is what: this is evident with AC ODyssey, compare it to total war TROY you see the huge difference: Odyssey totally misses all the potential the game could have had, Troy instead is mature, they clearly have several people not only the director who have actually studied classical sources, the Greek democratic institutions (I don't have to quote the Authors of the most important books and bibliography, papers, filmography one needs to access before even touching a game on Homeric\ cradle of modern civilization topics...), then knew what people wanna play because THEY PLAY THE GAME THEY themselves DEVELOP.

This is what is missing. The laboratory of player-developers who know what they are doing.
    If Guillelmot or who he hires doesn't put in the hands of who can do this stuff happen, the game, then it will just not happen.

All the rest, investors or not is ok, it's important, u need at least 500k to invest in a serious research and train people, and then more money to hire the writers and so on... the right people that need to work together to make it happen from words, concept reality to the freaking mechanics and work on that, because MECHANICS ARE THE CONTENT, not models, skins, pew pew ghost war mode mercenary. bla bla bla.. or crates.. that's not even a progression system... that is just arcade coin op 1960 mindset. We are in 2020ties... It's time to invest in AI (flanking), design of difficulty that means something, persistency, invest in the developers, invest in building a team that brings back what Ubisoft used to do or invest in the past in.

I really hope they can get to convince all those who left the company. This is the major problem. New wave of developers have not really understanding of what has happened in 1980ties .. basically they are born in 2000... so they even haven't seen how the world has brutally changed in worse from the 90ties to today... all this history is needed and experiences and so on to actually make a good game happen.

In 2022 a game that sells is possible to be made. Just see RDR2 (yeah great expoitation of monetization, but OUTSIDE OF THE GAME!!!, compeltely.. and also merchandising). Over there u have those art designers that are soaked into the game concept and know how to write and design stuff... it's culture that clicks the heart and soul of players, it's not drug addiction pulls designed by the finance digital analyst.. that is just contour and should be cornered to what it is, not be the CORE OF THE PROJECT!

It's like CEO got a new toy in their hands: the digital analysts and now the games are made by them, because the feeling of control and power over 3-4-5 millions copies sold of a game, the dream of control over how people play your game made companies leader drunk.

Get back to game design... It's a super hard job and we all know what it is worth be called that and what is not.

I just post this, just in case someone forgot the good things that Ubisoft did to create GRW... this stuff is really appreciated, I have goose bumps to know that they did hire this kind of makers for the game, this will never be forgotten:

• Rootimus
    58 posts
    Does this bode well for our beloved Tom Clancy: Ghost Recon genre or is it just one more nail in a coffin made of nails?

Another nail, though not just because it's Tencent. I think the only way we get a particularly good outcome is if some billionaire gamer decides to buy up the rights (no need for the staff or physical assets) and goes back to Ubisoft being a game developer rather than a factory that stamps out the same crap over and over, with extra dumbing down along the way to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

• Kean_1
    180 posts

I wouldn't view the acquisition of a majority stake in Ubisoft by the likes of TenCent adding value to franchises like GR. ....no more than I currently see a value in the Guillemot family maintaining control.

...so unless TenCent has plans to influence existing management or help usher in new people who will effect change in franchises like Ghost Recon (for the better), I really don't see much changing with GR despite who owns majority shares.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1287 posts
    I wouldn't view the acquisition of a majority stake in Ubisoft by the likes of TenCent adding value to franchises like GR. ....no more than I currently see a value in the Guillemot family maintaining control.

...so unless TenCent has plans to influence existing management or help usher in new people who will effect change in franchises like Ghost Recon (for the better), I really don't see much changing with GR despite who owns majority shares.

Couldn't have said it better myself if I had hired a writer. + 5.6 Billion % 😀

Guilemot, to me, is just another Politician telling people what they want to hear to get their vote and then, once in placed, not making good on their promises, perhaps because they can't (shareholders) and/or because they are just pathological liars.

As sad as I will be if they announced that GR is being shelved, I would applaud & praise them more instead off if they come up with another Half Mediocre Attempt like Breakpoint!!!

Suggested Topics