ubisoft discussions

quick-suggestions

• TheNorfolkian
    Original poster ubisoft:x-posts, 2067

Recently, I started noticing an issue with the different settings for audio dynamic range (ADR) in AC Valhalla. When switching between Full, Medium, and Night, there appears to be no observable difference in the volume or the ‘range’ of the audio mixture between music, dialogue, and sound effects. How do I know this? When switching between the settings for AC Origins, I can detect an obvious difference between Full, Medium, and Night. Originally, I thought I had a hardware issue, but the fact that there is a clear difference between two different Ubisoft titles leads me to believe that this is a software problem.

Problems with ADR were originally noticed as far back as the launch day of this title... two threads that discussed the topic were eventually RESOLVED...
    [RESOLVED] Sound effect volumes are unbalanced / inconsistent | POST HERE | Ubisoft Discussion Forums
    [RESOLVED] Audio sounds compressed / of a low bitrate / poor quality | POST HERE | Ubisoft Discussion Forums

Following TU 1.3.0, a separate thread was started regarding an issue with footstep effects, which clearly relates to ADR... however, this thread has not been marked as RESOLVED...
    [AUDIO] Missing sound footsteps still not fixed. | Ubisoft Discussion Forums

Perhaps most recently as of last month (July 2022), a forum user noted a personal issue regarding the heaviness of the assassination ‘boom’ sound effect, being abrasively louder than the rest of the audio, which again makes it an ADR issue...
    Assassination sound BOOM-sha-ka-laka | Ubisoft Discussion Forums

So, there is a clear history of ADR problems with this game which have existed on and off since its launch. While I do not expect the developers to fix something that has been a problem for almost two years, I hope that greater awareness can prevent its repetition in future Ubisoft titles.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Froggard
    Ubisoft Support Staff ubisoft:x-posts, 3595

Hey @TheNorfolkian

Thanks for your post about this. I haven't seen any feedback about there being no difference between these settings myself before, but I'll pass it on so it can hopefully be looked into.

official-response
  • TheNorfolkian

@Ubi-Froggard It’s very possible that you haven’t seen any feedback because it’s not something anyone will pick up on unless they’re deliberately checking it. Now that you have passed on the information, the developers may eventually take a look and see what I’m seeing. If you have a moment, you should try on your end to see if you can hear any difference. I still have no way of knowing if this is a problem affecting only XBox players, or all platforms.

• azullFR
    ubisoft:x-posts, 3090

@TheNorfolkian
    you're right = I just tested this option once at the game launch, and then, always kept my setting to "complete"
    just made a test after seeing this topic :

same as you, I also didn't noticed any change with the 3 settings
    Test conditions :
    PS4 pro
    Valhalla TU 1.6.0 (internal SSD)
    Headphone (Sennheiser GSP 600) connected to the PS4 Sony controller (v2)

• Ubi-Verse
    Ubisoft Support Staff ubisoft:x-posts, 1738

@TheNorfolkian Hi there 😊

Our development team has requested some additional information for their investigation:

• Could you do a drop attack and let us know if there is any difference in sound with Audio Dynamic Range on Full and Night?

• A video of the issue, if possible, showing either oil pots exploding with Audio Dynamic Range on Full and on Night or performing a drop attack onto the ground with Audio Dynamic Range on Full and on Night

Please also make sure that you have your current save files uploaded to the cloud 🙂

@azullFR Thank you for the additional report 🙂 If you could please also provide the information above, that would be great!

Thanks 😊

official-response
  • TheNorfolkian

@Ubi-Verse Wait, you mean the audio setting would be recorded in a video? I didn’t know that was possible, which is why I didn’t provide one in the opening post. I am concerned that if the sound level is not correctly recorded, then the developers will just dismiss this.

Edit: Thank you @azullFR for providing some technical confirmation on your end.

• azullFR

@Ubi-Verse
    @TheNorfolkian

I just tested :

1. drop attack made different sound
    2. exploding a jar also made different sound
    3. doing various things didn't made any noticable difference
    4. my question to the game team : are this settings affecting in a manner that we can hear noticeably only this 2 sounds ?

Note :
    Affected :
    buddies assassination = no > > !!! VLC oscilloscope shows differences, my ears doesn't hear them enough to feel any noticable difference
    [Edit] : finaly I may be wrong with VLC Oscilloscope (spoiler tags used to spare some space):
    ADR = complete : spoiler

ADR Night spoiler

dialogs = no
    little axe light attack = no
    little axe heavy attack = no
    hood/fish line/ etc. menu = no
    walking = no
    running = no
    sliding = no
    light bow = no
    rinding horse = no
    breaking wooden loot boxes = no
    breaking ore = no

... I won't test the whole game (already spent more than an hour on this issue and maybe broke the festival due to these tests : "festival ending in less than 48 hours" prompt) 😉

Note : I'm not able to record a video of VLC reading a PS4 video (cheap laptop)

PS4 pro / Valhalla 1.6.0 (manual cloud save done, everyday)

AC Valhalla Audio Dynamic Range Test 01 (active ADR option + 3 visual sound level, spectro, etc. :

several hours of free work for a game I paid for .... for getting what ?, a reponse the game team could already gave to us :
    few sounds (maybe only these 2 ones ?) are noticably affected by the ADR options, the other sounds differences are only noticable if using high-end several K US $ audiophile gear ?
    (I would like to be wrong)

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff ubisoft:x-posts, 5802

Hi @azullFR apologies for the late response.

Thanks for the video and the information provided, I have forwarded this on to the development team.

With regards to your question I am unsure.

As soon as we have more information we will update this thread.

official-response
  • azullFR

@Ubi-Keo
    hello,
    more than a month that the game team have the video they asked for and still they have no new to share ? even some little one ?

Note : I've added a video in the playlist related to ADR = the same one but with more visible lines :

• Ubi-Keo

Hi @azullFR I'm afraid there are no further updates on this.

Thanks for the video provided, it's appreciated.

official-response
  • Ubi-Keo

Hi Vikings!

After thorough investigation, the development team is unable to modify the sound mixing of the Audio Dynamic Range settings as they must focus on issues that have a comparatively higher impact on gameplay experience.

I understand that this is not the outcome you were hoping for and can only apologise.

As the development team have closed the investigation for this issue I will now lock this thread.

official-response

Suggested Topics