ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• cidered74
    Original poster 10 posts

Just an idea, so posting here to see what others think.

We now have several currencies in use throughout the game:

• Standard E-credits
    • DZ resources
    • Countdown Requisition credits

Not everyone wants to play all of the game modes to earn credits of all types. Yet the currency specific vendors have items that are useful across game modes. For example:

• PvE only players dislike the DZ so find it hard to obtain DZ resources to purchase the exclusive named items from the DZ vendors. The only alternatives being to farm the DZ crates for 1 DZ resource each (which is painful when a named item costs 152 DZR) or enter the great named item/legacy season cache lottery from GE stars and/or Countdown vendor (where the chances are tiny and growing ever smaller from the large and continually increasing numbers of PvE named items)
    • PvP players may dislike Countdown or prefer to just continue to play in DZ/Conflict, but could use Countdown credits to farm exotic caches for components for expertise.

I propose a new feature where we can exchange credits between the types. This could be in the form of a new vendor type character (currency exchanger / forger?) or built into the existing crafting bench feature. We would sacrifice some credits of one (or more) type - and probably some materials too - in exchange for an alternative desired currency. Obviously the exchange rates and material requirements can be set and tweaked approriately to discourage abuse. I would actually expect them to be pretty severe, but at least provide another option.

This concept is quite similar to existing mechanisms in the game where we can currently sacrifice materials & credits to 'bypass' the usual method of obtaining some other resource. e.g.

• Crafting SHD Calibration / Field Recon / Tactical Assesments from materials & credits instead of killing named bosses at CP3/CP4s/Bounties etc.
    • Using watch scavenging points to obtain SHD Calibration / Field Recon / Materials / E-Credits
    • Donating materials to increase expertise proficiency ranks instead of equiping & using gear/weapons/skills to gain kill XP.

I've often seen calls for the DZ/PvP exclusive named items to be added to the general loot pool/vendors and that's an (easy) option, but it really only gives something to PvE only players. This idea is not to make it 'easy' for PvE players to obtain the exclusive named items, but rather to offer another alternative to the exsiting (bad) options, whilst giving something back to PvP players. And players of both modes get more flexibility.

On a final note, I do NOT want the developers to even consider implementing this - or any other new feature - until the current PC stability issues are resolved permanently!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ArthurFriend
    150 posts
    I propose a new feature where we can exchange credits between the types. This could be in the form of a new vendor type character (currency exchanger / forger?) or built into the existing crafting bench feature. We would sacrifice some credits of one (or more) type - and probably some materials too - in exchange for an alternative desired currency. Obviously the exchange rates and material requirements can be set and tweaked approriately to discourage abuse. I would actually expect them to be pretty severe, but at least provide another option.

Absolutely against this, sorry. It's not that any vendor would regularly sell items that you can't get other ways as well. Even the dark zone exclusive named items can be obtained by buying named item caches. So there's really no need to make every item available at every vendor or for any currency.

Certain currencies are tied to certain activities. Period. Certain loot is tied to certain activites. Period. And in the dark zone we earn dark zone XP and in conflict we gain conflict ranks and in pve we gain regular XP.

And I don't even want to think about implementing this: which currency would be exchangeable into which currency at what rate? Which currency is the most valuable? How much easier is it to earn countdown requisition than e-credits and how much more expensive will the currency exchange then be? What about players who have millions of e-credits who could suddenly just buy other currencies? How would that be fair? Would that even be possible to balance? When would players start using character boosts to get e-credits from the shd watch to buy dark zone currency without ever having entered the dark zone? That just gives me headaches. Just leave the currencies where they are.

• cidered74
    Original poster 10 posts
    Absolutely against this, sorry.

No need to appologize, I tagged this as 'discussion' as well as 'suggestion' in order to get other views & input, in particular to find objectionable points that I may have overlooked. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I hope in turn you will consider my counterpoints to your concerns:

It's not that any vendor would regularly sell items that you can't get other ways as well. Even the dark zone exclusive named items can be obtained by buying named item caches

This is true, but as the game progresses it's becoming less and less viable for newer players. Season 9 alone added four new (non-exclusive) named items: "Kingbreaker", "The Dare", "Closer" and "The Setup" and no new exclusive items. We already know from what the devs have said that upcoming season content is PvE focused and will contain more new items, so we may expect similar in Season 10, 11 & into year 5. Every time this happens the overall pool size of named items for RNG to choose from when opening a named-item cache increases, but since the number of exclusive items stays the same, the chance of getting a DZ/PvP exclusive item diminishes. With RNG duplicates, it's hard enough now to get these and it's only going to get harder. An alternative source would help newer players.

So there's really no need to make every item available at every vendor or for any currency.

Is there a compelling reason not to make these items from past seasons more widely obtainable at this stage of the game's lifetime? These exclusive items are useful in PvE, so why should they be so restricted to other modes?

Certain currencies are tied to certain activities. Period. Certain loot is tied to certain activites. Period

Okay, now it's my turn to appologize, so sorry, but I find statements like "This is how it is and it must never change" very negative. This is what psychologists refer to as "closed mind thinking" and is an impeditive to innovation and progress. As Devil's Advocate I offer a similar closed-mind viewpoint that will be invalidated by what we already know about season 10:

"Countdown is a group activity and the difficulty is the same for everyone. Period.":

Wrong. Season 10 will introduce new difficulty levels including some targeted at solo players. The point is, nothing is fixed in stone and there's always scope to change and improve things as the game evolves. FWIW I have concerns over the new countdown difficulty levels and the impact on fragmenting match-making, but I don't use that to demand it doesn't ever change.

Whether we think a change is an improvement or detrimental is a separate issue, but we should always be open to change, otherwise the game will not progress

And I don't even want to think about implementing this: which currency would be exchangeable into which currency at what rate? Which currency is the most valuable?

Actually this is already determined in the game. Let's work it out:

Every week, Cassie Mendoza has exactly the same first two items as the Countdown vendor. This week they are:
    Boomstick: 75 countdown credits or 15,574 e-credits from Cassie
    Pristine Example: 75 countdown credits or 15,554 e-credits from Cassie

So One Countdown Requisition credit is worth about 207 e-credits as already determined by the devs

Occasionally, the countdown vendor will sell an exclusive named item also for 75 countdown credits. When avaialble at DZ vendors these always cost 152 DZ resources

So One Countdown Requisition credit is worth about 2 DZ resources as already determined by the devs

Using both of these valuations, we can deduce that 2 DZ resources are worth the same as 207 e-credits.

So One DZ resource is worth about 104 e-credits as already determined by the devs

DZ vendors also supply non-exclusive gear that will (eventually) overlap with the non-dz vendors (even if not in the same week) so this can also give us a DZ resource valuation in e-credits.

But this is a mute point. I'm in no way suggesting a direct and symmetrical exchange rate. Whenever we 'transform' resources in this game there is always a cost. Examples:

• Buy an item from a vendor, sell it back to the vendor. You will get less than you paid
    • Sell an item to a vendor, buy it back it will cost more than you sold it for.
    • Craft an item, and then deconstruct it. You get back less materials (and none of the credits) than you spent crafting it.

As I said in the orignal post, I'd expect there to be a high penalty price in terms of credits and/or materials to use an exchange feature. The idea is to provide a costly alternative and choice, not make it easy.

What about players who have millions of e-credits who could suddenly just buy other currencies? How would that be fair?

There would also be a high materials cost to exchanging. And to use your own argument, they had to play something to earn those credits, they could just play e.g. countdown instead, as those credits are already available.

If we're talking about very high SHD level agents that create alts to take through WONY and get tons of scavenging points to obtain credits & materials, I'd argue that is already broken and unfair. Any exploit of a new exchange feature through SHD watch on boosted alts is similar to the existing exploits to buy tons of materials/credits for expertise proficiency levelling, and tons of recon/recalibration points to optimize everything. The problem is not the new feature, it's the existing broken issue of dumping thousands of scavenging points on high SHD boosted characters after defeating Keener. IMHO those characters should retain their SHD level but limited to 1000 watch points needed to max out the four quadrants of attributes, leaving 200 scavenging points. High level SHD players are already exploiting this 'feature' to grind expertise proficiency faster than lower level players. Is that fair?

When would players start using character boosts to get e-credits from the shd watch to buy dark zone currency without ever having entered the dark zone?

As above, I think the SHD watch on boosted chars at high SHD level is the main issue, not a new feature. But let's roll with it and just consider what could they buy with that dz currency? Just some typically badly rolled gear from the dz vendors. What advantage would they gain over you? People using a high cost exchange feature to buy poorly rolled items from dz vendors to avoid going into the dz are unlikely to be competitive DZ PvP players.

Or is your objection that it might stop a ready supply of reluctant lambs new to the DZ that you can easily slaughter with all your top grade gear? Any new players that want to play in the DZ still will, and perhaps they can get near equal gear quicker to give you a fairer fight? Do you object to that?

• xcel30
    923 posts

One of the reason why they create new currencies is to not break the bank immediatly on release, otherwise people could use the billions they have stashed withtin their SHD watch or from just not really buying anything from the shop or crafting much to immediatly get a new item that is behind a new currency.

Good example of that is why Cassie never had any exotics despite being planned to have them later on, as people would have a way to simply buy exotics and break the need to farm exotic materias for rerolls and now proficiency.

• cidered74
    Original poster 10 posts
    One of the reason why they create new currencies is to not break the bank immediatly on release, otherwise people could use the billions they have stashed withtin their SHD watch or from just not really buying anything from the shop or crafting much to immediatly get a new item that is behind a new currency.

I get this, and as I wrote above, I think the real problem is the tons of scavenging points awarded to high SHD watch alt chars, which has already been and continues to be exploited in other ways like near unlimited optimization & faster proficiency rank levelling, crafting etc. I also get that at this stage that can't be undone. Even if that 'feature' was nerfed so that new alts recieve only 1000 watch points (but retain SHD level), players will have just banked it in advance of the update. And with the countdown vendor selling exotic caches obviously there would need to be limits and restrictions on any exchange feature in place to prevent abuse.

Speaking of limits and abuse. Consider this. There is a weekly SHD Requisition project that can award a named item and an exotic cache just based on donating some resources. However, to avoid abuse it's limited to once per week per character on your account, and requires some resources that cannot be just bought directly or indirectly from SHD watch scavenging points (Food, Water, Components) So with a little effort you should be able to get a max of 4 exotic components per week using this method. Yet it still gets exploited by creating new characters, get to BOO, talk to some people, acquire a skill, boost to level 30, buy blueprint to share materials, scavenge 250 of food/water/components from a single resource node and donate to SHD requisition project. Bang, one exotic component every 8 minutes or so. Pretty boring & tedious, but it at least sets a bar for limiting any new feature that might also be exploited to gain exotic components.

So perhaps limits could be applied to an exchange feature? I don't think the weekly project is the correct format for it, but limits could be placed on how much of each currency a forger/exchanger could hold or accept, either per character or account wide, which would reset each week. Prevent any new character exploit and it just becomes another way to get maybe 1-4 exotic components per week like the SHD requisition project, which I think most people wouldn't have a problem with as long as it cannot be endlessly exploited.

And therein lies the problem I guess. The game has become so big and complicated that it's likely just too hard or risky to consider in case an exploit is overlooked. So just lock everything behind new currencies and continue to coerce players into playing game modes they'd rather not play.

Oh well, it's been interesting to explore, and thanks for contributing!

Suggested Topics