ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Samlucasson55
    Original poster 22 posts

and they show it. How could you otherwise explaine the deafening silence here on their own forum? And keep in mind: They got rid of their old forum about the game to extinguish any traces of their old version. The only exception are here and there one post of their community manager and some updates and both are rather saying nothing about the state of the game, the direction they are heading or what they are doing and the future plans in general. And that for a game which gets postponed since the intitial planned release in 2020. After all this time, it would have been better for all and more lucrative for Ubisoft to just release the game back than and develop a new RTS game instead of turning the Settler into one. But we all can tell why they did this: Because the name "The Settlers" will already convice some people out their to buy the game just because of the name alone.

Ubisoft does not listen to anybody though. Yeah, they have postponed the release, but not because they want to create a good settlers, this is just PR to generate some good-will from the costumers. Nobody would have bought that version! But even now they do not tell us anything. Will old features come back? Old buildings? Old production chains? What about randomly generated maps? - they certainly had everything ready back in 2020. No! They just will put on some make-up to hide the mistake from the current version, ship it out with microtransaction and season pass. After half a year the game will be shelved and we hear the usual PR crap we are all to acustomed with due to other publisher doing the same thing over and over again. Ta-Da! Ubisoft has now their very own "Anthem" until followed by their second "Anthem" "Skull and Bones".

Now to the important part:
    Because everything about has already been said since the beginning of this year. Ubisoft should know all ready how the game us received in public and what the next step should be. You know, actually telling people something new and what is going on instead the normal PR announcement you hear, because the resentment will just grow on. And when there is no good-will from the costumers, there will be no sold copies.

Look at the video (it is in german but the developers are located in germany so they should understand what is going on - if they listen at all) to summarize: they count the missing buildings and goods from the version from 2020 to 2022. One look in the comment section is enough to see what the community wanted in a settlers game. To say it out loud: The old version from 2020. As suggested in the comment section: They could have just ship that out with only the domination victory and DLCed in the other 2 routes faith and glory.

Still not convinced? Well let's take a look at two of the biggest game jornalists/review sites:
    Gamestar => "The Destruction of the Settlers" -

PcGames => "Ubisoft, stop sacrificing your game" - https://www.pcgames.de/Spiele-Thema-239104/Kolumnen/ubisoft-die-siedler-experiment-ghost-recon-nft-1388091/: (https://pcgames.de/Spiele-Thema-239104/Kolumnen/ubisoft-die-siedler-experiment-ghost-recon-nft-1388091)
    PcGames => "Das ist die falsche Richtung" -

Gamestar is speculating about the future of the settlers but when Ubisoft will continue the course they are on now there will be no future for this game. But surely, the examples are both are just from german creators. Let's take a look what the international cerators have to say, tHeY lOvE oUr cUrReNT vErSiOn:
    "Everything wrong with the settlers 2022" -

"They ripped its damn heart out" -

Oh... would you look at that! So why do I write this when Ubisoft will not listen anyway? Because I am stupid - otherwise I would have moved on to better games (which there are enough).

To summarize it all:
    When Ubisoft would listen they would have announced by now that they plan to give back the vast majority of the cut content to give you an indepth RTS/city-building game with strong economic focus and RTS components if they do not announce that they will release the old version and work to improve that. There have been countless suggestion about combining both: Singleplayer 2020 version and Multiplayer 2022 version. They can have the best from both worlds!

My questions to Ubisoft:
    What are your future plans?

Is there a roadmap? Hell, at this point I am satisfy if anything other than: We are working on the game. Something more concrete would be appreciated. Will old buildings and production chains will make a comback? Will randomly generated maps be in the final product?

There was the suggestion to give community both: Singleplayer version of 2020 with endless mode like in Anno 1800 + Multiplayer version of 2022 - Any comments on that? Will you even take this into consideration or just overread it like most question and suggestion?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• UltimateSD
    29 posts

@Samlucasson55
    I think at this point they should launch a separate project to remake The Settlers III and/or IV. This would allow them to reconnect with the community and test the waters for a true Settlers sequel.

• Samlucasson55
    Original poster 22 posts

@UltimateSD Why go down the same route over and over gain? They did this with their last attempt of a settlers project which they renamed after not fitting standards to "Champions of Anteria". Why again develop a seperate project with much potential to streamline and thus cutting out vast portions of the game? This project they have now has potential! They have shown this back in 2019/2020 they just need to put that in again. They had upgradable buildings, gates walls that could be used manned with archers, proper fortresses, better and more sofisticated production chains. That all was in the game but got cut in the beta version.

Best approach would still be like it got suggested months ago to release a singleplayer endless game mode with the version shown in 2020 and a multiplayer mode with an improved version of 2022 (faster than singleplayer mode). I still believe that the multiplayer mode would than be less popular than the singeplayer mode but at least they have the possibility to improve the game for years to come like they did with Anno1800.

• UltimateSD
    29 posts

@Samlucasson55
    Because I would like to see an actual Settlers game after all these years, and not Anno with a slightly different paint-job. Ubisoft was right about one thing, they are already offering that experience, and there is little point in having their own franchises directly compete with each other. They drew the wrong conclusions from that, though. And I do not believe that it's possible to blend the 2019 and 2022 versions of the game. I'm sure the 2019 version was a good game. Just like Settlers 7 might have been. But neither is what I expect going into a Settlers title. S7 literally told me that my armies can't be bigger than 35 people and expected me to be impressed (fight animations were trash, too), coming from S4 where having hundreds of soldiers, and just as many civilian settlers, is the norm. And I got to actually make the equipment for these soldiers myself instead of just hiring them in a tavern with tax money I generated without even trying.

Anno and Settlers share a focus on good-refinement, but Settlers has one core principle that's pretty unique to it, because it's not the easiest to work with from a design perspective: What you see is what you get. Also, Anno (and at least to some degree the 2019 version) could afford to stack complexity upon complexity because it's designed around endless mode. Settlers is not and has never been.
    I believe Settlers has the opportunity (one I believe it must seize because it cannot compete with the two giants it previously sought to challenge, Anno and Age of Empires) to be an city-builder-RTS-hybrid and master that niche. Settlers III and IV explored that, and I'm working to prove that these formulas had plenty of room for expansion and refinement with my Settlers V draft.

Instead, every Settlers game post 2001 has only known two extremes: either start over completely, to varying degrees of success. Or desperately try to cash in on the nostagia of Settlers II, not understanding that not every aspect of that game has aged well, either.

I don't want a generic fantasy setting with generic fantasy civs, or another generic medieval setting. We had historical and legendary civs, and their gods, competing with each other before Heritage of Kings released and broke the previous evolution of the series! You could do so much with that, both story and gameplay-wise. Who needs a path of faith as an arbitrary win-condition when you could have actual divine intervention to turn enemy archers into butterflies, make your soldiers invisible or make enemy soldiers forget their training and become carriers again? Who needs a forgettable civ like the Maru when we could have the Amazons? Why do I have to listen to my Settlers whining about how heavy everything is when they previously expressed so much more personality without speaking, through things like their idle animations?

I could go on. TL;DR, I'm just sick of games, both by Ubisoft and other developers, trying to convince me that they are Settlers or trying to be Settlers, when any closer inspection will reveal that they are missing the aspects that gave the franchise it's unique personality and draw.

• TomK1888
    31 posts

@UltimateSD So, what is your point? Pretty much everything you are talking about has already been said in this forum: This game is not a settlers game - it is not even a good game. Ubisoft has to work on it and release a good game. To the point why the version of 2020 can't blend with the version of 2022 is something nobody says in other forums except the german forum for what ever reason because when you ask why not they don't give a reason or simply say they are under NDA.

One thing is clear: They need to bring back these features because otherwise the game lacks any replayability and long-term investment. Thus an endless mode would be perfect - just because it has never been before in a settlers game does not mean it never should be in. The series need some fresh features making it more appealing. Same can be said for randomly generated maps.

And not only this many fans still believe to buy the version from 2020 and when the game gets releases the disappointment and resentment towards Ubisoft will be enormously. After all in other stores they still advertise these features.

So instead of going on a rant and talking about remaking settlers 3 and 4 just play these games. For a settlers game to be released in this time they need to add more depth, more replayability, more longevity and more mechanics adding to the game. All that has been shown in the version from 2020 - you could start a new game with randomly generated maps, an endless mode, a lot of production chains and 3 ways to win. If they just would have released a remastered anno 1404 nobody would have played it for that long. The work they put to add in anno 1800 is tremendous and that is what made the game earn a season 4.

What is Ubisoft planning next for their version? It is not completely down bad after all the version back than had shown the potential which could be easily expanded with a season pass. And that is why there is still hope for the game - when they would have not shown the version from 2020 and just the one from 2022 everyone would have moved on by now.

• OldTokken24
    84 posts

@TomK1888 "It is not completely down bad after all the version back than had shown the potential which could be easily expanded with a season pass. And that is why there is still hope for the game - when they would have not shown the version from 2020 and just the one from 2022 everyone would have moved on by now."

This is exactly the point. It feels like the game is has this spark of potential that the current version has not tabbed in yet. Something the version from 2020 by Volker Wertich had. I still hope for a return of these features. Settlers was never meant to be a fast rush RTS like Starcraft 2 and it never can be competetive to Starcraft or AoE. The special part about the settlers is the mix between RTS component and city-building/planning like Spellforce is between RTS and RPG.

Suggested Topics