ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• STVNLEO
    Original poster 2 posts

I liked the trailer and i can't wait to try the game out. But what i don't like is seeing my culture being depicted in things that don't relate to it at all.
    Why is Ubisoft shamelessly using a Moroccan mosaic for a game that's supposed to be about Baghdad?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• sidgirl
    24 posts

@STVNLEO I'm going to assume you meant this as a joke, but...

Morocco (or Marrakesh) didn't invent mosaics, they originally stole them from the Romans, the Christians, and Byzantium; the first mosaics appeared in Islamic buildings 200 years before the time period of the game (and there was plenty of interplay/trade between Marrakesh and Baghdad, seeing as how Marrakesh was part of the Islamic caliphate during the game's time period, having been conquered by Muslims almost three hundred years previously); and just because a Google Image search shows you a pattern and calls it a "Moroccan mosaic" doesn't mean it's an original Moroccan design that no one else ever saw or used.

All that aside, maybe it would be worth actually playing the game, and seeing if there's another explanation as well, before complaining about something as ridiculous as "cultural appropriation" because of a pattern that you don't know how it's used in a game whose details you don't know.

But if it was a joke, it was a very good impersonation of the kind of jump-to-conclusions, eager-to-play-victim silliness some do engage in these days because it makes them feel clever or whatever.

• STVNLEO
    Original poster 2 posts

@sidgirl Hey, thanks for your reply!

What I meant by posting this is it would've been better if Ubisoft used a symbol or anything culturally related to Baghdad --and I'm pretty sure there's a lot of such, rather than using a well know Mosaic pattern here in Morocco. And no, we did not invent Mosaic, and I can't remember where I mentioned that.
    Also, I want to say that you are right, there's probably an explanation later on in the game --and it'd be very exciting if my country was mentioned in the game's lore, that's why I edited the title so I won’t be judging something that I didn't yet see.
    I can understand your frustration and misunderstanding, my english isn't the best thing that I have lol.

• sidgirl
    24 posts

@STVNLEO Hey, Brother, I see what you meant now. To me (and a lot of other people), "cultural appropriation" is an insult, like implying that someone is stealing from you and no one but X Culture has the "right" to use Y or Z thing, if you know what I mean--it's not meant as a compliment, and at its base it means cultures can't ever learn and grow from each other, so I misunderstood your point.

I'm actually really hoping, now that you've pointed out the origin of that specific design, that the appearance of the mosaic means there will be something related to Morocco in the game! From the little research on the period I've done, it looks like there were some uprisings against the Caliphate there, as well, so maybe Basim will get to travel there, or there will be some characters from there, or something. Honestly, if it's on his hood, maybe that's where he or his Mentor are originally from? And, I guess there was a big Viking invasion in the Kingdom of Nekur in 859 (which came after other, smaller Viking intrusions/lootings/etc.), which would be a perfect situation for Sigurd's father to have participated in and maybe meet Basim, or Sigurd went along and met Basim, or something?

I'd be excited to see that in the game's lore, as well, because I've always thought Morocco seemed like a really interesting place and culture, and somewhere I'd like to visit.

Have a great day!

• A Former User
    0 posts

@sidgirl You too have a great day!

I'm of course ignorant to the origin of the mosaic. Supposedly Mirage team made some digging while making a game about old Baghdad and found a lovely mosaic related to the site somehow. Perhaps it appears elsewhere as well? Because at the time they probably felt the same way about the mosaic being lovely so they appropriated it for themselves? How do you know what appears in Marocco doesn't appear in Baghdad? Are you a mosaic expert or just a dweller of Marocco? Everyone's an expert nowadays.. Have a great day though, sincerely. I like the mosaic.. Patterns.

• azullFR
    2848 posts

@STVNLEO
    Thanks to you for this topic,
    it made me searching for more infos about mosaic and zellij that I can see and appreciate in various places and various circumstances 👍

Note : I found the French Wikipedia really interesting 🙂 = Zellige: (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zellige)

Suggested Topics