ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 0 Likes/5 Replies/109 Views
    Mars388502
    Original poster 237 posts

The title would have been too long and the exact title would have been something along the lines of "Ghost Recon and other games/franchise in the same situation, what's going on in the industry?". Surely way too long to use as a title.

This came to me, while answering something in another that would have been further derailed (talking about Arma and ended up alking about BF2042). I wanted to discuss the similar situations, both franchise are in at the moment: a faild launch of a game as a service, with minimal update and stuff that aren't that original or well received by their communities.

Apparently, Ghost Recon isn't the only franchise going through this type of crisis, that in my opinion its explaination is has multiple reasons. Among those we can easily list:
    -Game design,
    -Environnement,
    -Narrative,
    -Speculative intent,
    -The prioritization of investors v.s. consumers,
    -And something I like to call the "fake good idea" (i.e. gearscore).

I recently bought Battlefield 2042, like many around here did, believing it could be at least entertaining. Truth to be said, it's as limited as GRBP, if not more. I belive there is a comparision to be made among them and I firmly believe with other similar titles too. Expanding this train of thought, I'm starting to perceive that this trend is becoming the rule: a game as a service that will launch no matter what and whatever problems it has to be "constantly" updated and patched.

My fear is the generalisation of this model for the years to come, and going from circonstantial to systemic. I think this trend is worth discussing, begining with the question of its sustainbility: is launching an half finished game, updated and patched by a "skeleton crew" an economicaly viable option? Moreover, the simple idea a "game as a service" even a good idea or is it a "fake good idea" (what I came to understand from a game as a service is: a game that the day the studio consider it done, there is no way you can continue playing it)?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1385 posts

I would have gone with ... "Ubi games: a Quick Overview" and that would encompass most of the ones you are trying to refer to 😊

My simple answer would have been... people giving (or showing ) studios & publishers too much of their hand (sell me this for this much money, I would pay this much for 1 skin, etc, etc). And of course, as far as greedy humans goes, they were trying to see where the **Low Bar** was and found it. Still, there are those that could go even lower

Perhaps I am lucky that I am poor and/or have a ceiling to what I am willing to pay for a game that is not even 80~90% finished with the hope (in my own mind) that they will fix it or make it better later. I am more in the "I will pay more for a finished game NOW" column.

• Mars388502
    Original poster 237 posts

@FcAc-No-Moe It's still early for me and my entire body hurts. But, do you mean that somehow, it's the player base fault for those production and marketing strategies?

-we want a game
    -what kind of game?
    -with this and that
    -okay we will rush that, but it won't be perfect
    -we, players don't care

I'm not saying that you're a wrong and would even go as far as to say that I mostly agree with you. But, this couldn't be the sole reason for the kquality of games we have been getting lately.

• FcAc-No-Moe
    1385 posts
    @Mars388502 It's still early for me and my entire body hurts. But, do you mean that somehow, it's the player base fault for those production and marketing strategies?

Mars, I can cite each and every post or ask (from members who asked) because I can't remember so right of the hole my answer would be NO, it is not entirely the player base fault for having such a crappy, water down turd of a game but those who supports gimmicks in favor of a better mature game YES, I feel those are the ones who ruin the game for the rest that wanted or were looking for a more mature game. And sorry but I don't have the words to come up with a short essay explaining all of it so it may sound one side or even like I am offending people.

I am not opposed to anybody spending the money they want to spend for a game but, I do take it somehow personally when most of the base is looking for more authentic weapon ballistic, less bullet drop, better TTK, better AI reaction, less getting killed while the enemy is looking away from us and their weapon is pointing in the wrong direction but still you die and then we get the small percentage that is the biggest percentage to them because they represent the money and we only represent the better game (even if money can or could come later) by SCREAMING OFF THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS that they are willing to pay $20 dollars for a weapon Skin or/or another $20 for a specific Helmet or Pants or Gear? Right there and then you have a guy willing to pay $40 dollars for 2 things that make ZERO impact in the game except his personal immersion if at all, the Vanilla Game is $60.00 so imagine what UBI is thinking at this juncture? imagine what YOU would be thinking if you are Ubi? I know what I would be thinking... this people don't really care for a Mature military shooter, what they want is more gimmicks and VIOLA!!!! Ghost Recon Breakpoint is ready to launch 2 to 3 years ahead of its finished time.

Again, this is my personal opinion and I could be totally wrong but still is my opinion.

@Mars388502
    I'm not saying that you're a wrong and would even go as far as to say that I mostly agree with you. But, this couldn't be the sole reason for the quality of games we have been getting lately.

And I agree with you. I also don't believe that I said anywhere it was THE ONLY REASON and if I did I apologize, it was not my intention, perhaps I said it because I have no other explanation?

Perhaps they have been watering down the games and we have yet to stand firm to let them know that we don't like it? perhaps we have been giving them way too much of a pass with the BS excuse that they will fix it on the run or afterwards only to be taken for a ride again and again?

I can guarantee you that the problem with the continue watering down of the games (ALL OF THEM) has been for lack applauds or praises to them (individually or otherwise) making them upset to the point of going on a strike and making such turds to pay us back in kind... of that I am 100% sure. But perhaps, just maybe, it could be due to the other way around? No, ok!

Perhaps you can tell me or write down your opinion of the why you Think that is? perhaps the 3 other people left in these forums can chime in, hopefully they will listen to us? I don't know what else to say on the subject LOL.

P.S.: Again, I hope this doesn't come across as offensive.

• Kean_1
    202 posts

Some like to blame consumers / fans for the direction some games are taking and / or for the changes to favorite franchises, etc. Some like to blame consumers / fans for not being diplomatic enough in their criticisms, suggestions and overall feedback. .....etc., etc.

The problem with Ubisoft is that they are taking liberties with some of their games / franchises that simply are not popular with consumers and fans alike. If Breakpoint had been a raging success upon release I wouldn't have like it but when something is successful, it's hard to argue that they made the wrong decision as a company. .....but it wasn't a success (far from it). Wildlands was a different story. Not all fans liked the direction they took (I did) but again, it was a pretty big success for them.

In Breakpoint's case, we were not to blame. Quite the opposite in fact as we continually gave them tons of useful feedback. Also, just because gamers like some gaming mechanics and aspects in other games, that doesn't mean they want them in all their games. Just look at what has been happening with BF2042. It's like déjà vu with the stubbornness, eventual admission of their shortcomings, resulting staff changes, efforts to change the game, etc.

Ubisoft is just now realizing some of their mistakes but to be honest, I am still not convinced they are capable of making a proper Ghost Recon game fans have been asking for. I also question their sincerity as their actions and comments at times are contradictory.

Ultimately, most fans seem to be on the same page as to what they want in their games / franchises but Ubi somehow continually struggles to understand and connect with their customers. .....or perhaps its deliberate as a result of internal agenda(s) taking priority over our wants. Obviously, whatever it is isn't working for them on a larger scale than just the GR franchise. .....and I really can't see how fans / consumers are to blame for that.

Suggested Topics