ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 0 Likes/29 Replies/313 Views
    TORFINR
    Original poster 384 posts

Hey there!
    I've been quite active in the forum and in the game at release, but I stopped shortly after the release of the river raids as I were really disappointed with it, and especially its lack of replayability.
    I came back with the DLC in Ireland, and I wasnt really seduced by the lack of activities available.
    I havent bought the DLC in Paris by the way.

So tell me, does the game have now a better replayability when the main arc is played and when all the side activities are done?
    (I have Odyssey in mind here, mainly. But to some extend, Origins too, as the combination of infinite skill points + NG+ can virtually mean an infinite game)
    Is there a NewGame+ feature?
    What's the max skill cap?
    Is there a point in continuing playing (skills, development of something?) when the main activities are over?
    Thanks a lot for your replies 🙂

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts

@TORFINR Welcome back! I thought you were gone for good.

Regarding ‘replayability’, there’s pretty much nothing to do but collect Opals through Reda quests and weekly Ubisoft Connect challenges while waiting to see if something cool shows up in Reda’s shop.

The Ireland, Paris, and Svartalfheim (DoR) expansions all did little to move the needle in terms of Eivor’s story beyond the base game, and the additional free content we’ve been getting in the form of River Raids, Mastery Challenges, Festival Events, and the Forgotten Tombs all served for a time to give the players something to chew on for a little while, although I will say the Isle of Skye crossover event was somewhat satisfying, and the upcoming Last Chapter content is supposed to conclude Eivor’s story (I hope). Also, if you like roguelite stuff, the Niflheim story arc is an interesting way to keep the player engaged in four-plus-hour replay ventures.

The rumor is going around that there may be a NG+ feature at the end of this development road, but unless they overhaul the Mastery Points to be more like the system we have in AC Odyssey, there won’t be much flavor beyond using top-tier gear from the start of the game.

In my honest opinion, Valhalla has been fun to play so long as there is something to do. Once you’ve literally done everything once and finished all the quests and mysteries in all of the expansions and free content releases, there will be little reason to return to this game (if any) once AC Mirage comes out.

• TORFINR

@TheNorfolkian Thanks a lot for your reply, matey. It has been a long time, I hope you're well 🙂

• ADarklore
    218 posts

@TheNorfolkian Sadly, I think you are right. Ubi Montreal shot themselves in the foot in their eagerness to 'make it their own' by moving away from Odyssey's EPIC game features. By going the route they did with Mastery Points, they pretty much negated a reason for NG+ right from the start. Then to have the director say, "We aren't sure how to implement NG+ in the game" shows an massive failure by the game developer. WHO doesn't plan from the very beginning how to implement basic game features?!? It shows a completely lack of planning IMO. I believe they wanted to distance themselves from UBI Quebec so badly that they didn't even consider how their decisions would impact later added features. I'm just glad UBI Quebec is making Project Red and not Montreal!

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts
    I'm just glad UBI Quebec is making Project Red and not Montreal!

@ADarklore Oh yeah, that is awesome news. Unfortunately, Montreal is making Project Hexe.

My only issue lately with Ubi Quebec was that they decided to make a separate kid-friendly game based on Greek mythology (Immortals Fenyx Rising). Valhalla at least had additional Norse myth-centric content built into the rest of the game (the Dawn of Ragnarök expansion and the roguelite content). I really wish Ubisoft had further developed Odyssey and released an expansion where Kassandra/Alexios could have experienced more Isu memories that explore more aspects of Greek mythology. They could have easily built it around the premise of the final years of the Peloponnesian War and also set it after the events at Korfu... like having Kassandra/Alexios start to search for new sources of Isu power by exploring more past memories in order to find a way to end the conflict between Sparta and Athens.

• SpirantCrayon22
    2526 posts

@TheNorfolkian There's a difference between U Quebec and U Montreal? I'd assumed it was the same thing.

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts

@SpirantCrayon22 Ubi Quebec is based out of Quebec City. Ubi Quebec was the lead developer for AC Syndicate (base game) and AC Odyssey.

• teh_greg
    112 posts

In theory, there is lots of replayability: River Raids, Forgotten Saga, Ireland/Francia DLC missions and Kara Arena in the Ragnarok expansion.
    In practice, once you get all the rewards you don’t ever want to look at these missions again.
    The only activities I would ever want to do on my 350+ hour save are:
    -       Reda daily missions for Opals,
    -       Ubisoft weekly challenges for Opals.

There’s also farming materials for upgrading weapons but that is my last resort only when I have some boring work calls lined up.

You can also farm Mastery Points to 1000 in each of the 3 categories but someone on the forums did testing and I think they concluded that there is almost no visible impact to stats after reaching 100 points spent.

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts
    You can also farm Mastery Points to 1000 in each of the 3 categories but someone on the forums did testing and I think they concluded that there is almost no visible impact to stats after reaching 100 points spent.

@teh_greg That someone was me! 😆 Here’s the original thread. It is worth noting though that I did indicate that putting points in the Raven category yielded the most advantage since Stealth Damage and Ability Damage were the only stats to be improved by greater margins (albeit very low margins) than any other stat... but that’s not really saying much since Eivor is already a god even on the highest difficulty settings.

• teh_greg
    112 posts

@TheNorfolkian Thank you for your work! Always happy to see some theorycrafters / minmaxers.

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts

@teh_greg To be honest, math really isn’t my forte, but this game’s lack of clarity regarding its core mechanics that supposedly make it an ‘RPG’ really annoyed me enough to attempt to make sense of it. I had a similar problem with some of the stat modifiers in AC Odyssey, where it was discovered that some of them literally do nothing to improve gameplay, while others were clearly jacked beyond fairness (for the enemy) and could be spammed enough to make Kassandra/Alexios truly divine.

Ubisoft keeps trying to reinvent the wheel every time they make one of these games, but traditional RPG stat mechanics were already perfected by D&D and adopted (or adapted) in several video game franchises.

• FarohkTazim
    66 posts

@TORFINR I'm 200 hours in and my only motivation in booting up Valhalla is farming Opals.

Other than that, the only mode I enjoy the most is River Raids. It's the one-stop shop for my Fort Raiding needs -- Stealth or otherwise.

I'm not inclined to do replay the campaign again though.

• FarohkTazim
    66 posts

@TheNorfolkian Imo the "RPG Elements" are just illusions. You're either focus melee dmg or range dmg. Ability DMG is over-tuned af. You can deal a lot of dmg with those -- or one-hit with Harpoon.

Your main focus on the Skill Tree is getting all Adrenaline Bars, Brush with Death, Grit, Last Chance Healing, Any Alt Bow shot of your choosing and Cunning shot. You're pretty much set. Oh and get Adv Assassination if you're gullible enough not to turn on Guaranteed Assassination in the Gameplay Tab.

If you want to live dangerously, get Wolf Warrior coz that will give DMG bonus so big (at 25-30% HP) you even question why bother stacking Crit.

Get the armor set you need for your playstyle and go to town. I actually ignored the main campaign to go to Ireland to get the best Range Armor set in the game. 🤣

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts
    You're either focus melee dmg or range dmg.

@FarohkTazim Ain’t that the truth. My two main loadouts are a melee build and a range build. The rest is for fun or experimentation... I’ve got a Stun/Armor build, a Crit/Speed build, and a fifth loadout that I alternate between different experimental builds, like a Bare-Handed/Health build or an Adrenaline/Ability Damage build.

You mentioned the range armor in Ireland... Dublin Champion Set, right? I used to roll with that for my range set when it first came out, but now I combine the High Elf and Fallen Hero Sets to yield the best Range Damage combo bonus possible before adding runes. I typically will snipe and assassinate an entire raiding location before sending my Jomsvikings in so that they will never get hurt by enemies.

• FarohkTazim
    66 posts

@TheNorfolkian Yea, Dublin Set with Forged Raven Rune or that Raven Rune with More Range DMG at 50%HP.

That 2pc High Elf, 2pc Fallen Hero sounds like a good idea. Although tbh, even with Dublin Set, My Bow Build is pretty cracked. Charged Shot pretty much solves my Elite problems -- especially comboed with Valhalla's own Zandevistan. 🤣

• ImaginaryRuins
    31 posts

I played the game on Xbox One back then when Valhalla was launched in 2020 November; now that I have switched to PS5, I just Platinumed the game, again, 3 days ago.

I have to say, the story missions and all those bosses (alpha animals, Zealots, drengrs and mission bosses) are still what attracts me the most, but sadly there has never been a mode to re-fight them for higher replayability; River Raids are indeed "replayable" but really not as fun as it is intended, and I just play it for the sake of completion. Once I have bought everything from Vagn and upgraded all buildings which require foreign supplies, I will not touch this mode ever again. Somehow, I do not even have the motivation to touch Mastery Challenge and Forgotten Saga.

And unlike what I did in my 350hr+ Xbox playthrough, I never buy skill points from Yanli because I now know the diminishing return of Mastery Points.

All this make me think AC Valhalla is not supposed to be "replayed" over and over; it is a one-time only but generally enjoyable game.

• TheNorfolkian
    2068 posts
    there has never been a mode to re-fight them for higher replayability

@ImaginaryRuins Actually, you can fight some of them at Kara’s Arena, but that is not the same thing.

In July of 2021, I made a comment about how a wanted system like in Odyssey would have worked in Valhalla. Instead of mercenaries, the ‘constabulary’ of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms would seek to hold Eivor accountable for myriad crimes.

• Kormac67
    1143 posts
    -       Reda daily missions for Opals,
    -       Ubisoft weekly challenges for Opals.

Did that for a while and totally burnt me out of the game. No more.
    Check Reda's shop on Tuesday, maybe do a drinking game with Petra when it's on the list, see you in a week.
    Waiting for the closure, then let it lie for a year or two and replay the campaign. But no tedious caves for Excalibur or stuff like that.

• TORFINR

@teh_greg
    Very interesting.

River Raids

I know the feature, but is it good for making money, or just xp (or both?)
    by the way, the "books of knowledge" are still available at the shop to convert ingame currency into xp, right?

Forgotten Saga

Never heard of that feature. Guess I left too early hehe.
    What are they, shortly?

Ireland/Francia DLC missions

Ah nice, I know the missions in Ireland. So they did the same in Francia? Same kind of missions?

You can also farm Mastery Points to 1000 in each of the 3 categories

So overall 3x1000 points, right?

• SpirantCrayon22
    2526 posts

@TORFINR

River Raids are pretty good for fighting, XP, silver and I believe the rarer runes - seem to drop quite a bit. There are also Ravensthorpe things to build that need resources that can only be acquired through these raids. Some gear from the raids if you've not done the "story".

Yes, skill/mastery scrolls can be purchased to get a point to use. The France shop's inventory is disconnected from the other main-game shops for some reason, so each time you level up you can buy 2 scrolls as well as browse the other shop contents.

Forgotten Saga is the newest thing, more or less; fixed map with randomised contents (ie, rogue-lite). You run through it as Odin, there's a lot of moderately difficult fighting, stuff to pick up for the mode and in Ravensthorpe. I thought it was pretty good fun.

Francia, yes, same sort of deal as Ireland. A story to follow, gear to get, etc.

Mastery goes up to 1000 in the three branches, yes. The power level maxes out at 535 (as of now). I'm at about 380 in all three, I have no clue whether there's any benefit in continuing to increase the power level, it's been stated with evidence that nothing is really achieved by that and even without any fine-tuning of the build I use Eivor is ridiculously hard even by AC standards.

Suggested Topics