Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• cawatrooper9
    Original poster 38 posts

It's been a busy week, but I've managed to get a little over twenty hours into AC Valhalla on PlayStation 4 so far over the weekend, and I think it's given me a pretty good idea of what the game's about, and... so far so good!

I thought I'd make up a little review here since the embargo is lifted, and I could maybe address some of the questions and concerns I've seen on the forums so far, as well as any other questions you might have.

I will not include any story spoilers (at least in the main body of my review), and will try to tag other things that I consider spoilery- but be warned that it's possible there may be some stuff in this thread that you have not yet heard about yet.

Here goes! (Ah, and no photos for now, because I don't think the photomode website it live yet, and I can't find a flashdrive 😕 )

Accessibility
    Right off the bat, this game has more accessibility options than any I think I've ever seen, and it make sure you're aware of these options before starting. Stuff like adjusting text/map size are present, as well as various ways to adjust difficulty separately (through combat difficulty, speed of stealth detection, etc).

Additionally, there are a lot of options I've seen requests for, such as toggles for nudity and gore in the game (and by the way, if you're the least bit squeamish you may want to take advantage of that gore toggle- Valhalla is by far the most brutal AC game yet).

This is likely the most configurable title yet in the series, and it includes a lot of options that I've specifically seen requested on these forums. I know sometimes it might feel like screaming into the void here, but they definitely listen to us 😊

Movement
    AC Valhalla feels better than AC has felt in a long time.

Let me explain- right off the bat, you might notice the return of a "Sprint" button. It's a minor change, and it Eivor still isn't particularly fast even with it, but that extra dimension of movement really just makes her feel a lot more interesting to move. She also has weight and momentum in her movement- much more natural feeling than the more stiff and tanky navigation in Odyssey.

Parkour isn't particularly all that different. The ability to sprint in between obstacles adds a little more flair, but this parkour is still much more similar to that of Origins and Odyssey than any of the other games.

Combat
    Combat really surprised me- it's... actually a lot of fun. Preview footage didn't really do it justice, as it looked a lot like Origins/Odyssey. And in a way, it is- it's still hitbox-based, and while leveling has been somewhat de-emphasized, stats certainly still play a significant role (this time in "Power", rather than traditional leveling, which I'll discuss later). But combat just feels fun again, and I think a big part of that is the increased frequency and variety of animations.

Again, combat is still hitbox-based (the "Dark Souls style" that's been all the rage the last few years) but animations provide a lot more flair to the battlefield again- no longer do all of your enemies just fall weightlessly to the ground after having been hit by your sword- instead, you might fling on ruthlessly to the ground to dislodge their back from your axe, just in time to turn around and decapitate another enemy soldier next to you. Like movement, it just feels better than its recent predecessors.

In general combat is fun, but one of my favorite aspects of it is the raids. In these, you approach an enemy area (so far, they tend to be monasteries) and try to loot its riches to help build your own settlement. You can approach this in a variety of ways, from stealthily eliminating the town guard or leading your Vikings straight into battle, but at some point you'll need to call for assistance to get those pesky doors and chests open. That's where my favorite part comes in- much like everyone's favorite Gondorian Boromir, you pull out your horn and alert your longship that the attack is on! Your battle-call echoes across the monastery, as viking charge from the shore and the abbey's guards scramble to defenses, bell towers ringing. The hunt is on!

A few notes on combat from requests or concerns I've seen from the forums:

• So far, no sight of one-handed swords. In fact, I've gotten very few inventory items over the course of my 20+ hour playthrough. Emphasis is definitely on leveling up what you have, rather than gaining more. Though I cannot stress enough- get a flail. They're super cool!
    • I agree with the camera feeling too far back. While it gives a more tactical view of the battlefield, it sometimes removes any tactical advantage by making it hard to even tell specifically who you're targeting. And worst of all, it really removes that player from the character's perspective. I'd much rather have seen an over-the shoulder perspective, especially with this brutal combat system.
    • There's been some concern about whether/how Vikings would be justified in this game. I'm not sure if this is necessarily spoilery, but I'll tag it as an extra precaution: [spoiler] Honestly, not much justification is given. Raiding/killing seems to be a virtue in Eivor's mind, at least from what I've seen so far. Sometimes, the violence does feel very much unwarranted- and sometimes, it feels necessary. I think that's going to be very much up to the player.[/spoiler]

Stealth
    Oof, I'm awful at stealth in this game.

Or, rather, I'll say this- I enjoy how the cloak helps in avoiding detection, but I think I have yet to have a successful run of assassinating guards without being detected. Feels like every time I go in for a kill, the entire town finds out within seconds.

Maybe I need to invest more points into the stealth tree, get better stealth-oriented gear, lower my detection difficulty in settings, or simply "git gud", but this is one of the first Assassins Creed games where I barely even consider stealth a viable option for me right now.

There are some neat stealth abilities, especially [spoiler] Chain Assassination, that lets you throw a lethal axe at a target at range after a hidden blade assassination, for usually an instant kill [/spoiler] but so far stealth hasn't been my favorite part of the game. Perhaps Eivor's path will help her get to be more of a sneaky-stabby, rather than a hacky-slashy.

Progression
    As you may know, progression is done through allocating points on a constellation-stylized skill tree rather than traditionally leveling up. You get these points pretty frequently (two at a time) and usually have a dozen or more options when allocating them, so it really does feel like you have a lot of freedom to make your Eivor however you want.

There are two types of nodes on these skill constellations, and as far as I can tell each node only costs a single point to unlock. First are simple stat boosts- one might make your melee attacks slightly better, while another might increase your stealth score- you know the drill here. The other type are more active skills- stuff like [spoiler] stomping on downed enemies as a finisher or planting explosives on enemy corpses as a trap [/spoiler].

Keep in mind that those skills you unlock on the tree are actually different from Abilities. Abilities are more similar to the stuff on the ability wheel from Odyssey- if things like Ghost Arrows of Artemis or Heroic Strike jog your memory. Strangely, Abilities are actually found by looting tomes on the map, rather than through normal progression. I'm... not sure how I feel about that. I think it works as a system, and these Abilities are very cool and powerful, but I almost wish they'd just been included on the Skill tree instead. It seems like kind of strange and arbitrary difference between the two.

Gear is something I haven't delved too deeply into yet, but I'll reiterate that you're not gonna be looting gear in near the frequency that you did in Odyssey. Instead, you'll have a couple of ways to increase your gear's effectiveness. First, you can upgrade gear yourself, which will increase its stats. Second, you can go to your Blacksmith, who can increase a gear's tier (at least, I think that's how it works). So, instead of trashing gear you looted early on, it can remain a viable choice. I like that a lot, as I think it helps the player form more of an emotional attachment to a piece of gear, rather than trashing it the second something better comes along five minutes later.

Closing
    Again, I don't want to get too spoilery here, but I can maybe answer some questions below in tags if you have any. Overall, I'm trying to temper my excitement over the new game with my opinion on it, and I'm far from finishing it, so I'll refrain from any sort of numbered score. But it's definitely good, of that I have no doubt.

There is so much more I want to say, but I think this will do for now. I can't wait to discuss this game with you all in the coming weeks!

-cawatrooper9

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• cawatrooper9
    Original poster 38 posts

Hmm, well apparently spoiler tags work differently on this new forum, and I'm no longer able to edit the thread. 🤣

I don't think anything was too particularly spoilery, but that's kind of frustrating...

• MnemonicSyntax
    9 posts

@cawatrooper9

Awesome to hear about those Accessibility options!

I don't know if you can answer this, but if you can a simple yes or no will suffice. Is there any explanation as to why we have choices now? Something lore based?

Thanks, man!

• cawatrooper9
    Original poster 38 posts

@mnemonicsyntax

Yep, definitely thought of you when the game prompted me through the accessibility menu. I hope you like it!

Hmm... to your question, I'd say the short answer is "I don't know yet."

I could give you a longer, more purposefully vague answer, but I'll wait on that until we get the spoiler tag situation figured out, at least 🙂

• ElderDarklion
    9 posts

@cawatrooper9 We can only edit our posts in five minutes after we posted it. 🙂 Should be arrange this for me.

I don't ask anything about lore because that page is totally closed for me. Nothing is changed and now AC turn to an RPG, Open World, Action Game for me. I read the article from Sorrosyss in the old Valhalla forum and gave up for thoughts about lore. So turn my face to gameplay and mostly combat.

Can you answer some of these questions with your experiences.

1. Did you try animus selection for Eivor's Gender? What is the difference from normal choices?
    2. Parry(timing, fast of the hits) is similar like Odyssey or harder than Odyssey?
    3. Did you like stamina bar? What is its effects in massive combat moments and long parkour running?
    4. Did you try two different types of melee weapons and if you tried it, how we can control these two weapons( means have two different controller buttons for each hand or combined them in a one button)? What do these combinations chance in the combat?

• cawatrooper9
    Original poster 38 posts

@elderdarklion

1. Yes, I chose the Animus Selection for Eivor. So far, I've played only as one of the genders, though.
    2. Haha, I'm awful at parrying, so I may not be the best person to answer this. Usually I use a shield in my off hand and an axe in the other- the shield is okay- it usually absorbs attacks if used, though that tends to deplete stamina instead.
    3. Personally, the stamina bar didn't play a huge role in my combat. It quickly replenishes on successful light attacks, which I use often, so it's rare for me to run out of stamina, even without consciously trying to conserve it. However, it was pretty punishing the few times I did deplete stamina, and was unable even to dodge attacks- that's not a position you want to get yourself into!
    4. For the most part, I've stuck with axe and shield. However, I have tried dual-wielding too, for just a bit. Seems that dual-wielding is mapped to the same attack button. For instance, dual-wielding two axes on PS4 would have you alternating attacks with R1, while L1 is still a block button. You get a combat bonus boost still, and it feels like maybe the attacks are a bit faster, but I haven't confirmed that yet. The flail and axe combo is still a lot of fun, though- haven't used it a lot yet, but it definitely feels like the flail gives you a bit more range on melee reach (and I am a sucker for feeling like the Witch King 🤣 ).
  • ElderDarklion
    9 posts

Thanks friend for your sincere answers. 🙂 Now wait to 10 Nov. midnight. May be reach 3000 hours at this time. 😉

• jdv1995
    1 posts

@cawatrooper9 without going into any spoiler stuff ofcourse,how is the MD handled.
    so far i heard 2 takes. 1 said it takes a BIG backseat while the other said it's actually in line with origins. can you please elaborate on that?
    also can you leave the animus at any time you want like in origins?

• cawatrooper9
    Original poster 38 posts

@jdv1995

I have not tried to voluntarily leave the Animus yet. I'll see if I can give that a try today and get your answer.

Hmm... I think going into any MD stuff can get spoilery, and I'm not sure I'm even far enough in the game to give a meaningful answer anyway. I'd like to speak a little more on it, but I do think it's something best experienced for yourself.

Sorry I can't get too much more into it!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics