Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Mirmidonas74
    22 posts

''Valhalla is an astronomical improvement on all movement and combat''.... Wait, WHAT? Obviously you had a bad dream last night or you haven't played any other AC game before lol.

• Mirmidonas74
    22 posts

@longjohn119 Well played 🙂

• Mirmidonas74
    22 posts

@redw0lfalpha What's right with the horse?

• Mirmidonas74
    22 posts

@martygod12 Yep, I have subscribed to them ages ago, they are decent. The review is spot on.

• Mirmidonas74
    22 posts

@matt_gb This is actually pretty much what's wrong with the game.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@scooch111 95% of all side quests of Valhalla were: Go here, take this, kill that, come back.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@speedynl21 I give you a really awesome example of world story telling.

I encountered a chest I couldn't get. I read the note inside about a monk taking revenge on the vikings. I found a curse site nearby with a lot of dead vikings. I couldn't find the key to get inside the house tho. So I decided to look around and found a path lit with torches. I followed it. The monk started to speak to me from the distance and I found a world event really close nearby. I had to move some rocks aside to enter a cave and found some more dead vikings and notes about his motive. The vikings pillaged his monastry and killed 99 people so he wants to kill 99 vikings now. World event wasnt over tho. I exited and got ambushed by him. Then I looked at the map and decided to look up the mentioned monastry and found a gruesome battlefield.

All of this started with me wanting to loot a chest. Pretty awesome tbh and Odyssey never ever reached that level of world story telling. I didn't even came close to this. I want to see more of this in future games.

Edit: The moral of the story: Don't skip world events. They can offer awesome experiences. But yea, most of them are really shallow but everyone is pretty unique. Something Odyssey failed at too. I would love for some of them to have an actual in game reward (besides the XP). But I found this little story unwrapping in front of me to be rewarding.

• martygod12
    237 posts

@souldrinkerlp Yeah maybe 1 out of 20 world events in Valhalla is like that lol. Most of them is just like the ones with the horse and they are over in 30 seconds. Not only in Odyssey was longer and more deep side Quests there were also an entire side questlines like the Mykonos rebellion for example. There is nothing like that in Valhalla, after 30 hours of gameplay I didnt come across any other story line which wasnt closely related to the story. Open world games needs to have other storylines then the main story, something that will fill the world you are playing in, that will add depth into the world. Not just everything is main story and the other quests are just tiny skethches you dont care about after a while.

Even though as you descriped some of the encounter are good and uniqe when you dont get anything for doing them except for the XP the just lose any value at all. I dont say that you need to get a new armor or weapon for every simple fetch quest you do in a game, but in my gameplay I came across so much encounters, which were literally screaming for giving you a reward (weapon,armor etc.) and gave you absolutelly nothing. (like the nun encounter)

I am not saying that all of Odyssey side quests were amazing no (compared to Witcher 3 for example most of them were a joke), but there was some hidden gems in there and some great long questlines with good storytelling and actuall rewards for doing them. When you get a proper reward then even doing the same repetitive [censored] for the 20th time doesnt seem like a waste of time. Sadly in Valhalla you get that feeling after a while, I just dont find the need of doing the side activities only for the case that maybe sometimes there will be some cool story.

• TORFINR
    319 posts

@martygod12 True.
    And we have to remember that we had also the contracts, the missions : kill 10 Athenian archers, destroy 5 Spartan crates, lower influence in Naxos and so on.... allowing us to continue rising skills, and building out Alexios/Kassandra with up to 1600 or so mastery skills, thus keeping us busy for hundreds if not thousands of hours.
    What do we do have when the main story arc is finished here?
    Valhalla in one animated gif:
    https://gfycat.com/fr/inconsequentialperfumedgadwall

• RevenantSP1
    32 posts

I have to agree though. The lighting on the character models are just a downgrade. I reinstalled Odyssey while they fix Valhalla and the graphics in Odyssey just looks cleaner and more crisp (and not I'm not talking about the colour palette). Valhalla's graphics literally looks like an early build alot of the times compared to Odyssey. But yes sometimes, Valhalla looks fantastic, but it is inconsistant. Odyssey looks great all the time. It feels like Valhalla actually needed another 3 months and got pushed out too soon. Running both Odyssey and Valhalla on pretty much maxed out setting and getting good frames on both - but again, Valhalla feels a tad jittery (very seldom) and buggy as heck. Though I am enjoying the game, don't get me wrong. It's just sad that the game does feel so unfinished and unpolished.

• TORFINR
    319 posts

{"ops":[{"insert":" I reinstalled Odyssey while they fix Valhalla"},{"attributes":{"blockquote":true},"insert":"\n"},{"insert":"Haha I did the same with Origins yesterday. And it's night and day! The overall feeling of immersion in Origins is perfect: the music, the feeling of space, the feeling of wind, heat, dust, the overall atmosphere of Egypt, the voice of Bayek, the feeling of really being part of a world that matters... \n\n"},{"attributes":{"background":"#f9f9f9"},"insert":"It's just sad that the game does feel so unfinished and unpolished."},{"attributes":{"blockquote":true},"insert":"\n"},{"attributes":{"background":"#f9f9f9"},"insert":"I agree. But as long as \"bugs\" can be corrected, do you really think they can correct the core of the game with patches. It would almost mean to recode it... I'm not that optimistic really, even if I'd really hope to like the game "},{"attributes":{"alt":"😕","class":"not-responsive emoji emoji-android emoji--confused","background":"#f9f9f9"},"insert":{"emoji":"/plugins/nodebb-plugin-emoji/emoji/android/1f615.png?v=18g478jvtts"}},{"attributes":{"background":"#f9f9f9"},"insert":" "},{"insert":"\n"}]}

• TORFINR
    319 posts

^ their fantastic new forum rofl

Here's what I said:

I reinstalled Odyssey while they fix Valhall

Haha I did the same with Origins yesterday. And it's night and day! The overall feeling of immersion in Origins is perfect: the music, the feeling of space, the feeling of wind, heat, dust, the overall atmosphere of Egypt, the voice of Bayek, the feeling of really being part of a world that matters...
    It's just sad that the game does feel so unfinished and unpolished.
    I agree. But as long as \"bugs\" can be corrected, do you really think they can correct the core of the game with patches. It would almost mean to recode it... I'm not that optimistic really, even if I'd really hope to like the gam:
    undefined

• Scooch111
    18 posts

@speedynl21 The barred door [censored] is annoying. Honestly my biggest hate in this game is the raiding. Raiding provides you really nothing to you as a player outside maybe a skill book and or a piece of equipment. Other than that it’s just “materials and supplies” for your town. You’d think raiding would be profitable and or more importantly, fun. Maybe let you actually raid buildings, tables, drawers and other things other then just opening generic chests. But nope! Just one time raids for materials for a town that doesn’t even have any depth or customization in look or location. Glad as well I got this on Ubi+ instead of buying it. This is a huge step back from Odyssey. But hey, at least the 4-5 broken up maps are bigger than Odyssey’s map. And that’s what is important right? Bigger maps.

• TORFINR
    319 posts

@scooch111 And when you've played all the raid, no point in doing them again.

• Scooch111
    18 posts

@torfinr there was no point in doing them before I even did half of them on the map. I unlocked everything important in the town outside the feast buffs. They need to fix raiding. I was really [censored] off that it was just generic mob fighting and opening chests. [censored] that has already been in AC forever.

• Scooch111
    18 posts

@revenantsp1 I 100% agree. I said this in another post. The graphics in Valhalla as not constantly good. The games color palette doesn’t POP like the colors and graphics aren’t as crips and clear as that from Odyssey. Nor is the lighting as good. I assumed it was my computer for the longest time. Despite being able to play the game on highest settings on PC. They looks bland, muddy, and washed out most of the time. I get it’s 800s England. But that’s not really an excuse to have a game looks so ugly. The fog/haze is another thing that’s terrible about this game. In Odyssey you could see for miles. More so while at sea. On Valhalla after 100 yards the game is just a hazy, foggy, and ugly. I can’t tell if they did this on purpose or to cover up bad rendering for background assets that de-render into an ugly mess of polygons after moving 50 feet from them.

• martygod12
    237 posts

@scooch111 The settlement is also a bit dissapointing. They passed it as a amazing new feature, so I expected something more like Fallout 4 settlement building style, instead you have just to build some building on exact spaces and 70% of the buildings just increase a feast buff lol. I dont know but it seems like I have already saw that somewhere ... yeah thats right maybe in AC Black Flag which released like in 2013. Classic Ubisoft trying to pass some reused ideas as a amazing new feature 😄

• Mirmidonas74
    22 posts
  • Scooch111
    18 posts

@martygod12 this whole game felt like a disappointment. I feel that they were just hoping to sell a title for next gen consoles and slap “Vikings” on it. Hoping it would sell. I see myself going back to odyssey after finishing this game. I can tell that Valhalla doesn’t have any real replay value content. Even if they added a New Game+.

• Mirmidonas74
    22 posts

@torfinr I Never uninstall Odyssey just to be proactive lol. I am Mirmidonas74 on Youtube I play game plus at the moment Mastery Level 48. Never get bored with a good game 😉

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics