ubisoft discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 55 Likes/1982 Replies/138067 Views
    MaxPain_
    4 posts

@sophie111 Same here and I got the season pass and installed the druid and Paris DLC and now the game drops to launcher every 10-20 minutes in the Irish campaign. Not even started the Paris DLC yet.

• LightmanN7
    11 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • LightmanN7
    11 posts

Oh, I'm glad I found this topic, it's been 2 months since I bought the game and it crashes almost every game session ! Ubisoft, fixed the game, it's unbearable !

My pc is completely up to date, I reinstalled the nvidia drivers with ddu installer. I tried to run in admin mode. Nothing helps, it's tiring to know that every time you play, you know you're going to crash but you don't know when ...

There seems to be a problem between the game and the nvidia drivers since some have corrected the problem by rolling back the nvidia drivers. But I'm not going to roll back my drivers just because ubisoft can't develop a game. So ubisoft, fixed the game! Thank you !

• V00D00KING
    3 posts

Game crashes randomly. What I have done that seems to minimize the crashes is to disable Ubisoft's game overlay and online saves. Less crashing, maybe once per session.

• Baker_76
    7 posts

Seeing as its seems impossible to fix these random freeze crashes.
    Could we at least have option to save game at any time at all times.

I have wanted to get into the river raids more but that is where i get the crash the most and you can't save there
    so I lose everything.

Other that that I can live with it. I can play 2 or 3 hours at a time except river raids. (15-20mins maybe)

• longjohn119
    1035 posts
    Oh, I'm glad I found this topic, it's been 2 months since I bought the game and it crashes almost every game session ! Ubisoft, fixed the game, it's unbearable !

My pc is completely up to date, I reinstalled the nvidia drivers with ddu installer. I tried to run in admin mode. Nothing helps, it's tiring to know that every time you play, you know you're going to crash but you don't know when ...

There seems to be a problem between the game and the nvidia drivers since some have corrected the problem by rolling back the nvidia drivers. But I'm not going to roll back my drivers just because ubisoft can't develop a game. So ubisoft, fixed the game! Thank you !

I learned a long time ago it is best not to upgrade your graphics drivers without a good reason, for instance a specific bug fix for a game you have or you need the Game Ready Drivers for a just released game .....The problem is neither Nvidia nor AMD tests old games on their latest drivers and sometimes it breaks them. Ive had this computer for a little over a year and have only had 3 sets of graphics drivers, the ones from July 2020, the Game Ready Drivers for Cyberpunk 2077 and the May drivers that fixed some major security issues and I'm still running those drivers and they work perfectly (However I haven't tried them with this game because of the myriad of other bugs it has such as broken Saves and broken Aim Assist)

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it ..... If your graphics drivers are working fine then it's best to stick with them until you have a reason like a specific bug fix for one of your games or you need drivers for a newly released game .... Upgrading graphics drivers every month just because they are new is one of the biggest mistakes I see people make and sooner or later it comes back to haunt them by breaking a game

• kolliasl21
    10 posts

I own the game since December 2020. Never had any crash up until now. I had about 50 hours with no issues and I had about 20 hours with the driver version 21.4.1 with no issues. I got 2 two crashes with the error messages suggesting that it was the GPU driver so I decided to update the GPU driver to 21.8.1 and perform a clean install. Still the game crashes and it's only the game that crashes to desktop this time. I did verify the game files before I updated the driver and I frequently run sfc /scannow and the dism tool to verify windows 10 files. The crashing started after the latest Valhalla update. My pc is equipped with a 3700x, rx 5700xt and 16gb of ram and it's been running reliably for 2 years now. I don't think it's a problem from my end since I've completed numerous games (including your own AC Odyssey) with no crashes at all. There is no overheating happening on any component. It's weird that I used to run the game reliably with the 21.4.1 driver version and suddenly after your game update the game is unstable. I don't think that it is a coincidence.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 5779 posts

Hello there!

@MaxPain_ - I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering crashes after installing the expansions. If you haven't already, I would recommend trying these PC troubleshooting steps, as these help to combat a number of common causes behind technical issues.

If the issue still persists after trying these steps, please can you follow the instructions I provided in my earlier post and open a support ticket? This will allow our team to take a closer look at your system and to provide further troubleshooting steps.

@LightmanN7 - I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing crashes after updating your Nvidia drivers. As you've already spotted, a number of players have been able to resolve their recent issues with Nvidia driver crashes by rolling back their drivers. I would recommend that you try this troubleshooting step to see if it helps to resolve the crashing your encountering in-game.

@V00D00KING - Thank you for sharing what troubleshooting steps have helped to reduce crashing in your game. If you haven't already, I would recommend trying these PC troubleshooting steps to see if these help resolve the occasional crashes you're still having. If the issue continues to persist, I would also recommend following the steps provided in my earlier post to open a support ticket.

@Baker_76 - Currently, you are not able to save your game during a River Raid. This is working as intended. Should you desynchronise during a raid, you will be able to reload you last save prior to going on the raid. We have shared your feedback about being able to save during the River Raids to the dedicated team.

If you haven't already, I would recommend trying these PC troubleshooting steps to see if this helps to resolve the random crashing you're experiencing in-game. If you're still experiencing crashes after trying these steps, please can you follow the steps provided in my earlier post and open a support ticket. This will allow our team to investigate further.

@kolliasl21 - I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing crashes after updating your Nvidia drivers. As shared in this thread already, can you please try rolling back your drivers to a previous version? This has helped to resolve the crashing issue for some players already. You can use this support article to help you in cleaning reinstalling your GPU drivers.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • andreserrano77
    8 posts

Ubisoft really needs to test the things before launch.
    I played the base game (more than 100h) without major problems.
    Today i decided to play the DLCs from Season Pass regarding Paris one exit few days ago...i started with the ireland one and i am not able to play 30min without a crash...i payed for a SP that i cannot use because ubisoft is not able to lauch 1 thing without mess with the rest of the game....

• longjohn119
    1035 posts

@kolliasl21 It's definitely the game and not your computer ..... Most likely it is due to a poor implementation of the DX12 Ultimate APIs ..... Every AC game from Unity through Odyssey was DX11 because that was what this game engine was written for. To use DX12 properly you need to rewrite the core CPU/threading and memory allocation part of the game engine instead of just trying to shoehorn it into a DX11 game engine .... So the game was never really right to begin with and then they tried to add Resizable BAR, an advanced DX12/PCIe 4.0 API to the mix and it just broke the game engine and people have been having problems with crashes, low FPS and low CPU usage ever since

Frankly I serious doubt it will ever get fixed without a huge update to the core game engine itself which is why I took the game off my computer months ago and won't be reinstalling it until I can verified that this problem, the broken save problems (Cannot proceed in quest XXX) and the broken Aim Assist are fixed ..... As long as people continue to play the game Ubisoft will be in no real hurry to fix these core issues, if they see a massive dropoff in player engagement even with a new DLC release THAT is the only thing that will truly get their attention and force them to do something

• grooners
    24 posts

Another crash when just moving around - the first in a couple of weeks - it has the usual "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." but I'm not blaming the driver - the problem happens across many machines, driver versions, game versions.

New drivers support other games, fix other problems, and above all contain security fixes so its bad advice to roll back a driver just on the unproven chance it reduces AC crashes,

Its random so its hard for people to say a particular "fix" improves things - unless its frequent and it immediately stops on a particular action and restarts again when you reverse that action. Until someone has the skill to fix this we'll have to live with randomly losing progress I suppose.

• andreserrano77
    8 posts

3 crashes in 1hour...the game is unplayable at this moment...
    congrats ubi...you robbed me 20€...

• longjohn119
    1035 posts

@grooners Most new drivers don't have security fixes if you actually read the release notes ..... The last one from Nvidia that had security fixes was back in May ..... And it was mostly for Enterprise Applications

Upgrading your perfectly working drivers every month is a mistake many people make and eventually it will cause an older game to break because they don't test new drivers for older games .... Both Nvidia and AMD have released drivers in the past couple of months that break Odyssey for example forcing people to roll back to the June or earlier drivers

• longjohn119
    1035 posts

@longjohn119 Here is exactly what I was talking about in the latest release notes

[Assassin's Creed Odyssey]: Drops in frame rate occur during gameplay and when running the benchmark. [3345840]

Now the problem is fixed but if you used the drivers from the month before they broke the game while if you didn't upgrade like I didn't then you had no problems .... I'm still running the May drivers with the security fixes and won't upgrade until I actually had a good reason to

BTW no security fixes listed in the latest drivers from Nvidia

• noneofyou
    12 posts

Guys, I'm really sorry to say this, but the situation is really bad, Ubisoft either doesn't want to fix their game (they already have our money) or they simply don't know how. In my support ticket 15142162 I've done everything they asked me for, played the way they wanted, provided all the files they wanted + additional logs, also reporting every crash from Ubi crash reporter tool, reported random crashes (most of us experience random crashes that can occur anywhere in the world- this is the biggest problem) with logs and in return they asked me to update my GPU driver to not recommended non WHQL version for my GPU (I already had the most current recommended by AMD drivers for my GPU) and disable antivirus. Game still crashes. Today they asked me to disable Windows built-in gaming related components, doing so they confirmed that AC Valhalla is not compatible with Windows 10 (they claim that Windows 10 is required OS to play)

If you create support ticket as Ubisoft Staff here recommends, they will blame your PC and system/software/drivers you use even after you provide all the evidence that it's not yours system fault, until you just give up. 3x msinfo, 3x dxdiag, 20 atttachments to support ticket overall, 0 crashing issues resolved.

I'm really glad to hear that at least for some of you advices given by the community helped to ease crashes, although you shouldn't be forced to use specific in game settings or do shamanic rituals that you don't have to do for other games, this still means that the game is broken.

• LightmanN7
    11 posts

@ubi-borealis i just crash, like every time i play...
    I have no problem in any other game.
    I will not roll back my NVIDIA drivers and potentially cause problems in other games (which in fact would not have the improvements provided by newers drivers) just because you are not able to fix your game ... So please ubisoft fix your damn game.

• Baker_76
    7 posts

I have been playing now for the last 2 days with the ubi connect client in offline mode.
    There are small parts of the game that can't be done with ubiconnect offline I know
    but guess what. 2 days no freeze crash, no one since i started playing offline mode.

• grooners
    24 posts

@longjohn119 Security fixes are just an example of a reason not to roll back on the off chance - completely unproven - it will help with this one game. Each release brings other improvements the rest of us dont want to lose. You might be wrongly assuming what works for you is the right answer for everybody.

What worries me is that AC Valhalla seems to be an AMD title - its performance on AMD GPUs is well above average against Nv even though the perf of AC is pretty poor full stop considering it hasnt got RT or spectacular visuals. So perhaps theres a reason to keep blaming Nv drivers or not rush into resolving crashes on Nv GPUs?

• longjohn119
    1035 posts

@grooners What exactly are those improvements? If the improvements are for a game you don't even have then you don't need them ..... Those improvements can and often do break older games because they don't test older games .... Drivers are only upgraded monthly to fix specific game bugs or to provide support, mainly for DLSS in newly released games ..... If your games aren't listed then you don't need to upgrade the drivers, don't try to fix something that isn't broken

I'm basing this on 33 years experience working on the x86 platform and 25 years of working with gaming graphics cards ..... Run a series of benchmarks then upgrade your GPU drivers and run that series of benchmarks again and 9 times out of 10 you'll see no improvements or they will fall within the margin of error (1-2%)

• TitanXXX
    6 posts

Workaround to prevent crashes:

I was getting constant crashes at different places and the only thing that helped me so far is to cap the game's FPS to 70 using the Nvidia Control Panel (AMD users can try it on AMD Control Panel); been playing it for several hours: exploring, raiding and completing quests with no issues.

Note: I don't limit the FPS within the game settings as it doesn't prevent crashing and causes significant lag. I'm playing it on ASUS 4K 144 Hz with RTX 3090.

Let me know if it helped you!

Suggested Topics