Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• longjohn119
    706 posts
    Hey all,

probably just a coincidence but after terrible crash rate following 1.1.2 patch release I did windows updates "KB4023057" and crashes are gone ... (back to one crash per several hours max)

I have no idea what and why because that KB is just cleanup for windows updates themselves nothing that would be related to running apps / games. But it is doing housekeeping some it might have fixed something in windows ... no clue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4023057-update-for-windows-10-update-service-components-fccad0ca-dc10-2e46-9ed1-7e392450fb3a

Dave

It does a few things mostly related to Windows Update however it does reset the Network Stack and clean up the related Windows Registries so the crashes may have been related/timed with when the Connect App does an an automatic save to the cloud or other network related operation and something bad in the Network Stack caused the system to freak out..... It also checks your OS files for errors which I assume is just running System File Checker so it's possible you had a bad System file ..... I noticed you did a Windows Update the day before this Patch dropped and Windows Update has been known to break system files (and lots of other things ...LOLOL) Of course your problem might be different than other people's problems so it may not work for them (But is definitely worth a shot)

Personally I have Windows Update on pause and usually wait until the end of the month before I update so Microsoft can work all the bugs out of it ..... I haven't had a successful infection on one of my computers in over 20 years but I have had plenty of bad Windows updates so for me the chances of a Windows Update breaking my system are infinitely higher than a virus or malware infection but I've been using Windows since 1.0 which came on five 5 1/4" floppy disks so I wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you are doing in regards to system security

• cavveman
    84 posts

@longjohn119 & @blackdave666

Odd, I took a look here. And no download for 20h2. So that is why I wrote it was for older win10 versions.
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4023057

Anyway. I do not see how that update can affect ac valhalla.

• Dasher222
    19 posts

Managed to get the game to run (hopefully it stays that way) by doing a complete reinstall. Obviously this meant downloading another 64gb and it's not going to be an option for some people, nor should it need to be, but it managed to work for me.

• longjohn119
    706 posts

@cavveman It's quite common for the Update Catalog to not have the most recent versions ,,,,, The Update Catalog is mainly for sys admin at businesses so they can download the update once and apply it over their network to 100 computers rather than have 100 computers all downloading the same update

The Release notes are what is relevant here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4023057-update-for-windows-10-update-service-components-fccad0ca-dc10-2e46-9ed1-7e392450fb3a

KB4023057 is actually 2 years old and is just slightly updated and deployed after a bad Windows Update has screwed up a lot of people's systems .... Which seems to have happened with January's update

If a bad Windows Update broke the Networking Stack or one the the System files it is definitely going to affect the game and other software

Before I removed Valhalla a couple of days ago I wasn't having any problems with crashes or the low FPS problems many were having (However I had problems with the tons of other bugs it has that ruin gameplay) ..... However I have no doubt what so ever that many people are having problems ..... Nothing is more annoying than some idiot (usually on Steam) claiming since it works on their system it must be a problem with your computer and not the game itself .... Plus the exact same problem, especially crashing can be caused by a number of different reasons which is why some fixes work for some people and not others

• Kill_Burst
    13 posts

Trying this one more possible fix then I give up entirely.

I have been able to play for more than an hour without a crash so far.

I know deleting the cache in documents has been mentioned before, but I found this old thread regarding assassins creed syndicate crashes and gave this a go: [PC] ACS Troubleshooting Guide and Possible Solutions | Forums (ubisoft.com)

open your explorer and make a backup copy of this folder - Documents/Assassin's Creed Valhalla
    Now delete the entire Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder (this will reset all your graphics settings)
    I ran a verify files check next.. bit of a OCD move but wanted to make sure..
    Boot game up and configure your display and graphic settings again
    so far no CTD...

I did notice after doing this two settings did change in the ACValhalla.ini
    WindowedWidth=0
    WindowedHeight=0

Before this they were set to
    WindowedWidth=1280
    WindowedHeight=720

I never use windowed mode so have no idea why this was configured, plus i use a 4k monitor so the resolution shouldn't have been this low anyway.

maybe it helps maybe it doesn't going to test over next couple of days.

• Kill_Burst
    13 posts

Nope still got a CTD... I'm done Ubisoft, this game is well and truly broken.

• normski7a
    5 posts

I'm getting the same issue, random crashing with no error codes. This has only started happening since the 1.1.2 update.

Sometimes it will run for over an hour before it crashes, sometime only 5 minutes.

• horvathmate77
    1 posts

In patch 1.1.1 I had crashes but Nvidia released a new driver which reduced all crash to zero for me. Now with patch 1.1.2 it crashes badly, sometimes every 10 minutes, sometimes only like once in a hour which makes it really difficult to enjoy/play the game. Also I use the subscription version for Ubisoft Connect, maybe this is the problem, but it is sad, that I cant play normally the game I subscribed for...

• majesty9917
    1 posts

Rx 5700xt ryzen 2600x 16gb 3200mhz ram and I have been crashing every 5-15 mins since the Nov. 26 patch. I think it was 1.04. I had over 100 hours of completely crash free play prior to that. I have tried all the fixes and none has helped. Im on the uplay+ version. Its crazy to me that 3 months later this issue is still persisting. So glad I didnt pay 60 bucks for this crapola.

• Byowa
    2 posts

Well, it seems i found my solution. Close logitech software and no crashes anymore...

• crocodilebundy
    8 posts

Nvidia driver 461.72 february 25th. Played 3h without crash. Maybe there is hope...

• braudrist
    21 posts

@crocodilebundy Yeah, same here. Played for 3-4 hours with the new driver and I didn't crash. Finally there's some hope.

• YazX_
    168 posts

@crocodilebundy just froze and then crashed after 30 mins with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." , even with the 457 driver it crashed after patch 1.1.2 but less frequent.

• weens1
    1 posts

@crocodilebundy i was hoping i'd have the same experience, but unfortunately even after updating to 461.72, i'm still crashing 😢 😢 😢 . Such a shame, hope this damn game gets fixed soon, have only been playing it in short chunks cos it crashes all the time

• Shahany
    6 posts

Here's how I solved my problem with Valhalla on Ubi + if Ubi + can't be trusted with my staying online, I got fed up with their disconnect and transferred my Valhalla EXE to the Steam server. Guess what no more disconnect it would seem Steam is more stable who knew?

• cavveman
    84 posts

@shahany
    Did you just copypaste it to the steam folder? Or did you tweak it some other way?

• longjohn119
    706 posts

@cavveman He just added it to Steam but it is NOT on the Steam server because Steam doesn't sell Valhalla .... The Connect app is still running in the background anyway and even if they did sell Valhalla on Steam it would still be running both Steam and Connect in the background which is why I never buy Ubisoft games from Steam because the last thing I want is another layer of DRM (Like it or not Steam is a form of DRM make no mistake about that) and another overlay running .... Even the games I was forced to buy on Steam I start with a desktop shortcut and have the Steam overlay turned off because it is more trouble than it's worth

• Apestront
    3 posts

I don't play the game through ubisoft+. Bought it and starts up (with ubisoft connect). However, since the last patch, like all other players here, the game crashes every 15-30 minutes. Like the title of this post says. It looks like it is more likely to happen after i've accepted the daily quests from Reda. When i've done that and the game crashes, at restart the Reda-quests are gone and I have to reactivate them.

Like the first post: my pc is up to date, i meet the requirements (much more then needed) and the game is up to date.
    Unfortunatly, this, with being unable to finish the game because of the gamebreaking bug which has been unsolved since the beginning (Ealdorman), makes the game for me hard to enjoy.... I am really wondering why there is so much to do about an apparantly buggy game like CP2077 (which runs marvelous and bugfree on my pc) and no one is talking about this bugfest of a game...

• YazX_
    168 posts

Guys i might be into something here but still need more time to tell if it was the root cause of the issue, i had FOV set to 110%, i set the slider to 100% and went to NCP and set everything to off/default for every setting for ACV. have been playing for one and half days for long sessions without TDRs. might be FOV and G-Sync are causing these TDRs (Driver Crash).

P.S: this is on Latest Nvidia Drivers 461.72

• pyronical
    1 posts

Was crashing every ~15-30mins. I used revo uninstaller, to fully remove the game, downloaded from scratch, also deleted the Documents\Assassin's Creed Valhalla folder - worked for me.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics