Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Skylinee87
    27 posts

So far so good after running the game in Administrator mode and changing ingame refresh rate from 144hz to 120hz. Worth a try for anyone still crashing. Been playing for a couple days now without any crashes.

Make a shortcut of the ACValhalla.exe found in your game folder and put it on your desktop. Rightclick, properties, compatibility tab and check "run in administrator mode". If you're still crashing after this, change your ingame refresh rate to something else.

• longjohn119
    716 posts
    R-BAR is only supported on Radeon RX 6700 XT, 6800, 6800 XT, and 6900 XT & nVIDIA RTX 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080, and 3090. You also need a manual GPU BIOS firmware upgrade (at least for the nVIDIA cards) for R-BAR to work. There are people here with older generations of graphics cards that are getting constant crashes, so I doubt its R-BAR's fault. You can also easily see if your system has R-BAR enabled by downloading 'GPU-Z'.

It doesn't matter because the extensions are still added to the game whether your GPU, CPU and Motherboard can use them or not and they interfere with proper VRAM management so you have streaming issues and VRAM memory leak issues

Streaming issues cause low FPS ..... Memory Leaks cause game crashes

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

As per @Ubi-Borealis I got asked to post my crashes in this thread @longjohn119 Could you also post your investigation as found. Please note I am copy pasting from This Thread . With a few more added details.

"I would also like to say I have troubleshooted quite abit on my system.
    I have run a DISM online check of system, then I ran SFC.
    I have updated all drivers.
    I have triple checked nothing is overheating and/or spiking when game is running everything in system is running at good temps with cpu being highest at 71oC which is well within tolerance.
    I have run a AIDA64 stress test and that just keeps running with not 1 error.
    I have run a memtest and my memory is fine.
    I don't use any third party monitoring software when running the game. (apart from troubleshooting why it crashes)

This is the only game where its been constantly crashing with no indication of why apart from "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.""

I then continued further on my investigation and it seems like autosave is accessing something which my GPU does not like and throw a crash in my face this is what launcher logs show.

"UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      ApiProcessConnection.cpp (---)                  Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.

The asterix after process ID are the same however change each time i load the game.

The dashes are always the same but unsure if its related to account infomation so i blanked them out.

Everytime my game crashes it disconnects 4 times then the crash happens. Someone else reported this on the game crash thread."

The crashes are happening every 30 mins to 2 hours ish they seemed random however I noticed it seems to happen when a save happens and upon checking logs the 4 disconnects happen at same time as the crash. And the freqrency adds up because this game saves a ton when even just walking around anything you do = autosave. So when im exploring it happens less but when im doing missions it happens more.

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3877 posts

Hello there,

I would like to apologise for the delayed response. Thank you for continuing to update this thread with your reports, and for taking the time to include more information on what troubleshooting you have tried, as well as snippets of your system files and logs.

As there are many potential causes behind crashes / freezes in-game, it can be difficult for the team to investigate these issues further to see what may be causing the issue for players.

I can see that a number of you have already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, and we appreciate you sharing this steps within the thread. If you haven't already tried any troubleshooting steps, I would recommend that you take a look at these basic PC troubleshooting steps. These steps help to resolve a number of common causes behind crashes / freezes, such as disabling background applications (such as MSI Afterburner and other overlays) and ensuring your supporting software is up-to-date.

Additionally, a number of you have shared what successfully resolved the crashing / freezing issues for you in-game, so I'd like to take a moment to share these as well. If you haven't given these suggestions a try, I would recommend doing so:

• If you play using Ubisoft+, ensure that your PC's time clock is synced up with your timezone
    • If the crashes began after updating your drivers, try rolling back to a previous version
    • Cap your FPS and set your refresh rate to default
    • Clearing your Ubisoft Connect cache folder
    • Running an SFC scan to repair missing or corrupted system files
    • Change your graphics settings by lowering or turning off certain graphics options, like the resolution, quality or V-sync
    • Ensure that you are not overclocking your CPU / GPU
    • If you use multiple monitors, try disconnecting the multiple screens and test using one screen to see if the issue persists

If the issue still persists after trying these troubleshooting steps, we would like you to open a support ticket so our team can take a closer look at your system files. As every system is different, these system files are crucial in helping the team to find out what may be potentially causing the crashes you're experiencing in-game. Creating a support ticket helps us to keep all of the information from a report in one location. We are unable to view system files in-depth in the forums, so you will need to open a support ticket for the team to take a closer look at these.

You can open a support ticket via the Ubisoft Support website, or by starting a live chat. When opening a ticket, please include all of the following information:

• A copy of your MSinfo and DxDiag
    • A copy of your Ubisoft Connect launcher log
    • Any troubleshooting steps you have tried already
    • Any notable error codes or messages you have received
    • If the crashes / freezes happen in specific locations (For instance, when starting a specific quest or entering a certain area).
    • When did the crashes first started occuring? Was it after a specific game or system update?

Please include as much information as you can about your crashes / freezes in your case notes, as this is incredibly helpful in helping the team to troubleshoot the issue further.

We understand that this may not be the update you were all hoping for, but again would like to reassure you that we will continue working with you all to try and get these issues resolved. Due to the nature of crashes / freezes, ensuring that troubleshooting has been carried out and submitting system files is the best way for the team to investigate what may be causing these issues further. Without this information, the team is unable to work towards finding a fix.

Thank you all for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.

If you are encountering FPS drops and low CPU / GPU utilisation in-game, please can you share your report in this megathread, as we are currently collecting specific information in this thread for the development team to take a closer look at. This way, we can keep this thread on-topic regarding crashes / freezes.

@The_Devils_Son - Thank you for taking the time to share your report within this thread as well, and for already trying such thorough troubleshooting steps! I appreciate that you've sent us a sample of your logs. Would you also be able to open a support ticket so the team can take a closer look at your system files? This will help us to investigate the issue further. Please feel free to share your ticket number with us once you've opened one up.

Thank you 😊

Official Response
  • braudrist
    21 posts

Now the game doesn't throw me to the desktop without any errors. Instead, it freezes and the only way to shut the game down is to log off in Windows. CTRL + ALT + DELETE and going in the task manager doesn't work for me, because the game screen is in the way - which is quite annoying. Event Viewer shows some local permission errors but I've made sure to run the valhalla.exe in administrator mode. It also showed some errors regarding Windows Game Bar so I'm going to try and disable it.

• longjohn119
    716 posts

@braudrist
    That's the worst kind of crash because it can potentially bork the data on your drive and your OS install .... CTD while annoying are the least likely to cause problems, BSOD isn't good but the main purpose is the OS goes to Blue Screen to save data and lessen the chances of messing up data and the OS install but a lockup that caused you to force a shutdown can easily corrupt data and in the case of a hard drive can cause the heads to crash into the platters before it has a chance to "park" itself

One thing you can do is put the game in Full Screen Windowed Mode which many times will allow you to hit the Win key which brings up your Task Bar and place a link to the Task Manager on the Task Bar ..... Then when you get a lock you may be able to hit the Win key and mouse over to the Task Manager link and bring it up and shut down the game that way .... It doesn't always work but many times it does and lessens the chance of data on your drive getting corrupted. It's something I use a lot when adding Mods to games because there is always a risk of messing up

Also anytime and every time you have a Hard Crash like that you need to run SFC (System File Checker) to check your OS files for corruption and then verify the game files with the Connect App to make sure none of them got corrupted

• Asryan2a
    73 posts

Since i've used local saves I had 0 crashes

• crocodilebundy
    8 posts

Just started the new Ireland DLC. 20 min 5 crashes - in game an in cut scenes. - so sad.

• Skylinee87
    27 posts

@braudrist Open up Task Manager, click Options and check "always on top". That way, your task manager will always take priority over other windows.

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC is also a quicker shortcut to open it.

• longjohn119
    716 posts
    @braudrist Open up Task Manager, click Options and check "always on top". That way, your task manager will always take priority over other windows.

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC is also a quicker shortcut to open it.

The problem with that is the CTRL SHIFT and ESC keys are all used by the game and often will call up a function in the game instead of the OS ..... However the WIN key is never used by games and so it nearly always works to bring up the task bar if you are in Full Screen Windowed Borderless Mode (AC games since at least Odyssey have Full Screen Optimization mode enabled by default which forces Full Screen Windowed Borderless Mode in Windows 8.1 and above) .....

• Coach811981
    34 posts

Have had two crashes while playing DLC

Both were freezes - one i was able to alt-tab and restart my system as i couldnt kill the ACV window and the second one was CTD with the Ubisoft error report window popping up.

Its very random - can play for 2-3 hrs with no problems then play for 10 minutes and it crashes.

Very annoying.

• jnrxs
    3 posts

I'm having an issue on PC / Ubisoft Connect (Wrath of the Druids DLC). Whenever achievements are unlocked, the game freezes and crashes. Also there's an animation bug with sprint attack while using sickle sword.

• Asryan2a
    73 posts

OK, i tried to push a bit more my 3090 and realized the game seems to crash as soon as the gpu pass 2100 mhz.

With +100 on core it remains > 2100 and no crashes.

Seems the game is very sensitive to Mhz

• LoneHood
    11 posts

Same these crashes after last two updates and those festivals are annoying but I will somehow push till the end of dlc, real shame I can tell you right now they don`t know how to fix this different rigs different crashes but core problem for crashes is probably the same, like I said before, support do not helping tickets will not help you Ubi Montreal knows that they can`t fix this not without someone elses help. I`m calling people from a top to really push some thing and find someone who knows how to fix these crashes. I refuse to play on my old GPUs make game playable for mid and high end cards and fix a code call for help there are devs who knows how to handle this, I really doubt that I will ever again buy anything from a store until this is fixed I`m afraid this gonna become common issue for every other future game. Like I said I will push finish the dlc and go back on other platforms I`m a huge Ubi fan I even defend them on other platforms with all that epic thing but this is so bad I can`t even see my achievement when they pop up I literally need after playing to check my achievements list in uplay. How did we end like this? find a source and fix a problem if you do not know how to fix it call someone and fix UBISOFT CONNECT cause for me it is broken when it comes to achievements I can`t even see that thing when it pops. And why the game recognizing my Win 10 pro as buiss edition why game is telling me that my controller is connected when I`m using a controller only on my plastation on pc only in hack n slash and fighting games I never connect my controller to UBISOFT CONNECT not even for For honor have no clue. Anyone from a top really need to check what Montreal is doing and I wont even talk about quest bugs and other things. Have no idea who is a leader on this now but I can tell you that person really needs help to fix this annoying thing AC Valhalla is a good game with a worst crashes ever out of nowhere. Salute Peace and love.

• meanhx
    11 posts

The game has been working pretty well for me the last month or so, only a few crashes every now and then. Even after the DLC released I only had a couple of crashes (the things you get used to...), until today, today I had 7-8 crashes in total before giving up now. A couple of the crashes happened even before the game fully launched (never happened to me before today), most of them just 5-10 minutes in, but the last one happened after more than 4 hours of playing. What I have done so far; DDU and older drivers that worked almost flawless with this game a few weeks ago, disabled cloud saves, verifying the game and running Connect as administrator. The thing is that the AMD driver also keeps crashing (this has to my knowledge not happened earlier when I experienced crashes in the game) even after DDU+earlier driver and wants me to send reports. My system is a 5900x, 6800xt, 4x8gb memory and the game is installed on a nvme ssd (not the OS drive). Since the game worked well with few chrashes until today (and no other games have issues that I tried), my guess is that it´s either the game, connect or a windows update (don´t remember updating since the DLC released though).

• longjohn119
    716 posts
    OK, i tried to push a bit more my 3090 and realized the game seems to crash as soon as the gpu pass 2100 mhz.

With +100 on core it remains > 2100 and no crashes.

Seems the game is very sensitive to Mhz

This game engine has always been sensitive to overclocks ,,,,, IMO it's just not worth risking stability to gain a lousy 1-2 FPS with an overclock

• Ryusennin
    96 posts

Most crashes happen because of cloud saves (which are triggered right from the title screen). Since at least the Ostara festival/update, I can systematically crash the game by clicking too fast on the title screen while the cloud save icon is active, or by clicking too fast on Continue while the menu screen has just loaded.

Disabling cloud saving in the PC launcher is not enough to prevent the game from connecting to the servers, you have to switch the whole launcher to offline mode. In my experience, this will significantly improve the game's stability. Significantly but not completely, as there are other possible causes of crash, but they happen far less often.

• DefiledDragon
    6 posts

Has anyone at Ubisoft even acknowledged that this is an issue and will be addressed? I'm getting random TDR (display driver not responding) crashes. Sometimes I can play for hours without issue, other times it will crash three times in half an hour. Giving me FarCry 4 gameworks volumetric fog vibes.

• patriciochan
    2 posts

Problem: Event 4101 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

AC Valhalla Patch Notes, 1.2.1
    i5 11400F,
    ASUS B560M plus Gaming
    ASUS Tuf Gaming RTX 3060,
    xpg 32GB 3200Mhz,
    AData swordfish 1TB M.2
    win 10 20H2

These are the things I have done:
    updated the newest display driver 466.27
    *Display Test: stress test without problem in 3D mark, I could run furmark for 1 hr without problem
    *memory Test: windows 10 Memory test passed
    *CPU Test: prime95 passed, cinebench R23 passed

• Coach811981
    34 posts

@defileddragon

Yeah these crashes are so sporadic sometimes - like you say can play for hours than another time you can play and crashes for no reason.

Alot of the time it crashes when im doing nothing - been an issue since launch but hey why fix that issue when Ubisoft can throw an overpriced shiny gear pack on the store?

Suggested Topics