Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Ryusennin
    93 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • archie45672021
    3 posts

Hi,

I've been slowly playing the game for the last few months. But in the last few days the game plays fine then randomly freezes followed by crash to desktop.

I can't now play the game for more than 20 minutes or so.

My PC exceeds the minimum specs for the game.

What's changed in the last few days?, Was then a buggy update?

Cheers.

• Skylinee87
    25 posts

The reason the game is crashing is still this:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. (EventID 4101).

4 months+ and several driver releases since and it still haven't been fixed. This is the only game that is crashing like this, every other game is not crashing the display driver.

• Cristi351
    10 posts

pay 140 euro for a game with too many bugs , blocking in wals in stones , but i give a try ... for 2 days start to crashing every 30 minute 20 15 ... what is this ?

• JasonZ2833
    1 posts

Getting the same thing on a my 3090ftw3. Freezes hard anywhere from 10mins to 1hour. Yet with the same driver on the same PC my old 1080ti it works flawlessly. This is the only game that crashes, so this makes me think its an RTX problem hitting mostly the 3000 series. I really would like a fix.

• Darkshot_47
    7 posts

@archie45672021 Same here. I believe this is because of recent updates. 1 or 2 months ago my game was running okay

• Ryusennin
    93 posts

Fun fact: I finished the game 100% (~220 hours) without a single crash.

Since Christmas and the online festivals, the game has become so unstable with each successive patch that Ubisoft had to postpone the release of their first DLC by several weeks. They even published a recent blog post to "justify" how hard it is to produce a hotfix... for fishes. Damage control at its weirdest.

@JazonZ2833 It's not specific to Nvidia. AMD and console users also get constant crashes.

• Skylinee87
    25 posts

Got a new PC build, completely fresh install with a RTX 3080 and an AMD 5900x. Crashed within an hour of playing with the same ''Display Driver stopped responding and successfully recovered''-error. Exactly the same as it happened with my older PC with a GTX 1070 and i7 4770k. This is 100% a game/driver issue, problem is it happens with any driver recently released.

• longjohn119
    629 posts

@skylinee87 The game no longer allocates VRAM properly because they tried to shoehorn Resizeable BAR support into an already developed game with an old game engine and it's never going to get fixed until they remove the support ..... Save Resizable BAR support for the next game and build it in from the ground up

I doubt they'll listen though because Marketing/Management likes the Resizable BAR buzzword too much to admit that maybe it's just not viable to implement it right now

• Ryusennin
    93 posts

I strongly doubt BAR is the culprit, unless you have insightful info from the devs.

Besides, nobody knows what BAR is about (by the way, it's called Smart Access Memory on AMD hardware). BAR is either unavailable or disabled by default on 99.9% of systems. You activate it at your own risk since you can bust your BIOS if you don't have the proper hardware requirements (read: Ryzen 5000 + Radeon 6000). The only way to recover your BIOS (as I learnt it the hard way) is to unplug your motherboard's CMOS battery for a few minutes.

If BAR is not enabled in your BIOS, games won't use it, period. Valhalla can't crash because of BAR, considering most people don't have BAR. The reason is something else, although definitely software (since the game didn't crash constantly before the online festivals) and I sure hope Ubisoft are pulling their collective fingers to fix that crap.

• Skylinee87
    25 posts

Actually it crashed often as early as in ~mid December before the first Yule festival released, with the same Display Driver stopped responding-messages in EventViewer. Definitely a game-related issue as this has happened across two PC's with pretty different specs (i7 4770k+GTX 1070 and a 5900x/RTX 3080 PC). Played countless other games with zero issues.

Currently trying to play the game after launching the .exe as admin and using a 120hz refresh rate instead of 144. If those two options don't work, i'll try playing in Borderless Windowed instead of fullscreen.

More discussion about the crashes over here (mainly PC related)
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/assassins-creed-valhalla.18885386/page-67

• katzenkrimis71
    163 posts

Fun fact: I finished the game 100% (~220 hours) without a single crash.

===

Similar story here. 236 hours, 100% complete after release, only a handful of crashes.

After recently installing the game again, and playing for another 73 hours, I've already had more crashes in this 73 hours than my entire first playthrough. And there are graphical blur issues with highlighted enemies which Ubisoft refuses to comment on, or fix. So, technically, the game has become much worse than it was on release day.

This is not a good sign. Especially with the expansion about to release.

I have a high tolerance for problems like this, but most gamers don't. When people return to play Wrath of the Druids they won't be happy.

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

First time i played this game on day 1 there was no crashes not 1 yes it was buggy but atleast I did not get a crash to desktop constantly. Nowadays im getting constant crashes to desktop and in event viewer its saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." . Since this has started i updated all my syetem drivers from chipset to nvidia to audio to even making sure my windows is up to date. What did any of that do..... nothing. Only Assassins creed Valhalla constantly crashes if i had £1 for everytime this game has crashed on me then i be rich by now. Seriously Ubisoft get this sorted because at this rate you will not see a single bit of my money again I find this sickening that the patches has made the game worse for so many of us yet patches are meant to do the opposite. And why has there not been a response which I can find anywhere from ubisoft they have gone very silent on this issue.

System specs
    Windows 10 64bit
    Ryzen 3900x (Stock not OC'd)
    32GB DDR4 3600mhz
    EVGA GTX1070TI FTW2
    Game installed on a NVMe PCIE 3.0 2000MB/s Read and write.

• longjohn119
    629 posts
    I strongly doubt BAR is the culprit, unless you have insightful info from the devs.

Besides, nobody knows what BAR is about (by the way, it's called Smart Access Memory on AMD hardware). BAR is either unavailable or disabled by default on 99.9% of systems. You activate it at your own risk since you can bust your BIOS if you don't have the proper hardware requirements (read: Ryzen 5000 + Radeon 6000). The only way to recover your BIOS (as I learnt it the hard way) is to unplug your motherboard's CMOS battery for a few minutes.

If BAR is not enabled in your BIOS, games won't use it, period. Valhalla can't crash because of BAR, considering most people don't have BAR. The reason is something else, although definitely software (since the game didn't crash constantly before the online festivals) and I sure hope Ubisoft are pulling their collective fingers to fix that crap.

I have insights from being an engineer and building PCs on the x86 platform since 1988 when I started working for Gateway Computers as a component compatibility tester ..... I understand how this stuff works at a very low level

Just because it is **supposed** to be disabled doesn't mean it is disabled if it wasn't implemented properly ..... Resizeable BAR affects VRAM memory management in a quite significant way and trying to shoehorn support into an existing game with a Last Gen game engine is just asking for problems ... This game engine never properly streamed assets efficiently to begin with which is why Special K was so popular beofre Ubisoft banned the author by falsely accusing him of adding a virus to Special K .... There was a fork in Special K that did work with Valhalla but that ended with the 1.1.0 update because of the Resizeable BAR extensions broke it and it was too much of a hassle for Kalidian to try to fix .... In fact talking with him is how I figured this out and realized that the timeline for problems matches exactly with the implementation of Resizeable BAR

• braudrist
    21 posts

R-BAR is only supported on Radeon RX 6700 XT, 6800, 6800 XT, and 6900 XT & nVIDIA RTX 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080, and 3090. You also need a manual GPU BIOS firmware upgrade (at least for the nVIDIA cards) for R-BAR to work. There are people here with older generations of graphics cards that are getting constant crashes, so I doubt its R-BAR's fault. You can also easily see if your system has R-BAR enabled by downloading 'GPU-Z'.

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

@braudrist Ah but i think what longjohn119 is trying to say is. They added support for R-BAR and it may be possible the software is trying to activate that mode on un-supported hardware which then the hardware lets say my GTX 1070TI is saying "NO" and instantly crashing. I been doing PC's for as long as i remember and that can be possible and the hardware maybe trying to protect itself if that is happening.

• Skylinee87
    25 posts

So far so good after running the game in Administrator mode and changing ingame refresh rate from 144hz to 120hz. Worth a try for anyone still crashing. Been playing for a couple days now without any crashes.

Make a shortcut of the ACValhalla.exe found in your game folder and put it on your desktop. Rightclick, properties, compatibility tab and check "run in administrator mode". If you're still crashing after this, change your ingame refresh rate to something else.

• longjohn119
    629 posts
    R-BAR is only supported on Radeon RX 6700 XT, 6800, 6800 XT, and 6900 XT & nVIDIA RTX 3060, 3060 Ti, 3070, 3080, and 3090. You also need a manual GPU BIOS firmware upgrade (at least for the nVIDIA cards) for R-BAR to work. There are people here with older generations of graphics cards that are getting constant crashes, so I doubt its R-BAR's fault. You can also easily see if your system has R-BAR enabled by downloading 'GPU-Z'.

It doesn't matter because the extensions are still added to the game whether your GPU, CPU and Motherboard can use them or not and they interfere with proper VRAM management so you have streaming issues and VRAM memory leak issues

Streaming issues cause low FPS ..... Memory Leaks cause game crashes

• The_Devils_Son
    7 posts

As per @Ubi-Borealis I got asked to post my crashes in this thread @longjohn119 Could you also post your investigation as found. Please note I am copy pasting from This Thread . With a few more added details.

"I would also like to say I have troubleshooted quite abit on my system.
    I have run a DISM online check of system, then I ran SFC.
    I have updated all drivers.
    I have triple checked nothing is overheating and/or spiking when game is running everything in system is running at good temps with cpu being highest at 71oC which is well within tolerance.
    I have run a AIDA64 stress test and that just keeps running with not 1 error.
    I have run a memtest and my memory is fine.
    I don't use any third party monitoring software when running the game. (apart from troubleshooting why it crashes)

This is the only game where its been constantly crashing with no indication of why apart from "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.""

I then continued further on my investigation and it seems like autosave is accessing something which my GPU does not like and throw a crash in my face this is what launcher logs show.

"UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      ApiProcessConnection.cpp (---)                  Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.
    [ ----] 2021-05-13 16:42:01     [ ----]     INFO      UplayGameConnectionHandler.cpp (---)            Game with process id ***** disconnected.

The asterix after process ID are the same however change each time i load the game.

The dashes are always the same but unsure if its related to account infomation so i blanked them out.

Everytime my game crashes it disconnects 4 times then the crash happens. Someone else reported this on the game crash thread."

The crashes are happening every 30 mins to 2 hours ish they seemed random however I noticed it seems to happen when a save happens and upon checking logs the 4 disconnects happen at same time as the crash. And the freqrency adds up because this game saves a ton when even just walking around anything you do = autosave. So when im exploring it happens less but when im doing missions it happens more.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics