Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• honkytonk333
    4 posts

Same issue here, sporadic crashes at best and sometimes constant.
    Don't want to spoil anything, so be aware, but during the sequence with the third order person in the Lunden questline at the docks / on the ships: constant crashing every 2 to 3 minutes. There are certain areas/sequences where crashes are far more likely to occur and make progressing through story aspects near impossible.

Is Ubisoft unwilling (because they already got our money) or "just" too incompetent to fix these issues?
    And people complained about the bugs in Cyberpunk 2077... yes there were a lot, but the game at least ran.

• Stefan_ReD
    1 posts

crashes over and over, sometimes playing for 5 hours, then every 10 minutes, but even often: frame drops from hell!
    100fps down to 3, game restart, all good, after a few minutes...3 to 5 fps.

Stopped playing short after the first patch, because it was like this - though now it should be fixed, but it seems a problem again.... sad i missed the time between where the game was playable.

• mathis.adam
    4 posts

Regular crashes sometimes after 5 min multiple times, sometimes it's fine for an hour or more. I've stopped playing because I'm sick of starting the game and crashing 2 minutes later and repeating this process several times or playing for an hour, thinking I'm in the clear only to crash again. The game has been out for several months. Ubisoft, please fix the crashing issues...

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3626 posts

Hello there,

I apologise for the delayed response. Thank you for continuing to share your crash / freeze reports with us in this thread.

As I shared in my earlier post, we would recommend that you try some basic PC troubleshooting steps if you have not already. These steps can help to tackle a number of common causes behind game crashes and freezing. In particular, I recommend that you disable any background applications that may be conflicting with game files, and ensure that your supporting software is up-to-date.

Players within this thread have also shared their own troubleshooting steps, and what helped to resolve their own crashing / freezing issues. You can view this list here:

If you play using Ubisoft+, ensure that your PC's time clock is synced up with your timezone
    If the crashes began after updating your drivers, try rolling back to a previous version
    Cap your FPS and set your refresh rate to default
    Clearing your Ubisoft Connect cache folder
    Running an SFC scan to repair missing or corrupted system files
    Change your graphics settings by lowering or turning off certain graphics options, like the resolution, quality or V-sync
    Ensure that you are not overclocking your CPU / GPU
    If you use multiple monitors, try disconnecting the multiple screens and test using one screen to see if the issue persists

If you are still experiencing crashes after trying these troubleshooting steps, please can you open a support ticket so our team can take a closer look at your system files. As every system is different, these files are very important to carry out further investigation into what may be causing these crashes. We are unable to view these files within the forum, so we recommend that you open a ticket so our team can take investigate these further. You can open a support ticket in the following ways:

When opening a support ticket, please can you include the following information:

• A copy of your MSinfo and DxDiag
    • A copy of your Ubisoft Connect launcher log
    • All troubleshooting steps you have tried so far
    • Any error messages or pop-ups you have received
    • When the crashes / freezes first began, and if they happen at specific locations (such as beginning a certain quest, or in a specific area in-game)

Please include as much information as you can about your crashes / freezes in your case notes, as this is incredibly helpful in helping the team to troubleshoot the issue further.

@jnrxs - The development team are aware of an issue when players using the sprint attack using the sickles. You can follow the investigation of this issue in this megathread.

@mkershaw - As this thread is about crashes / freezes on PC, I would recommend starting a new thread for Xbox. If you haven't already, I would recommend trying out these console troubleshooting steps.

Thank you 🙂

Official Response
  • braudrist
    21 posts

Thanks to the unskippable intros and DRM, it already takes like 10m just to start the game; which makes the crashes even more annoying. I've given up on this BS, there are plenty of other games to play which work just fine.

• ElectricSquall
    22 posts

@ryusennin - You're right. Yesterday, I've tested my system all day long and I was able to find why the game is crashing.

The issue is being caused by uplay client in online mode. I've tested many variables and the only thing that fixed the game, no matter what are the other conditions was to use the option "Go Offline" inside the Uplay client menu. After that, Heaven on Earth.

• ElectricSquall
    22 posts

@longjohn119 - For you, and others guessing if the RES BAR is causing the issues, it is not. Yesterday, after long hours testing, the culpid is the Uplay client. Simple click on the "Go Offline" option inside the client menu and the game will no longer freeze/crash.

Uplay Online + RES BAR OFF = Crash from 5~60 min.
    Uplay Online + RES BAR ON = Crash from 5~60 min.
    Uplay Offline + RES BAR OFF = No Crashes. 3 hours run without issues.
    Uplay Offline + RES BAR ON = No Crashes. 4 hours run without issues.

I've also tried a lot of other things, like disabling background apps, run the game as administrator (useless in my case since UAC is disabled in registry) disabling all kinds of OSD (RTSS, AIDA, CapframeX) and nothing. But after going offline inside Uplay client, voila. Even the smoothness is greater now. The client is probably hooking the game process and this injection is causing the app crash.

Not just the game smoothness was improved, but also the loading times, really, REALLY faster than in Online mode.

In their last patch release, Ubisoft did what they do best, [censored]. Their own client is killing their own game. Not surprised, Ubisoft is the worst game developer out there.

Hope it helps, see yaa!

• ElectricSquall
    22 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • longjohn119
    617 posts

@electric_squall I've been saying a lot of the problems are with that cruddy Connect App since last November ..... I suspect that is also what is borking the saves and causing all those "Unable to progress with .... " bugs which are actually just one bug that keeps popping up and causing information to not be written to the saves correctly. If a save file doesn't have a flag to tell the game a certain milestone/event has been completed then the game has no way of knowing and it gets stuck. Instead of chasing 3 dozen individual problems they need to focus on the save code and the Connect app code .... Otherwise they are just dogs chasing their own tails ......

However none of that explains the low FPS and low CPU utilization problems while a problem with the CPU to VRAM code which has had RE BAR code shoehorned into it last December does .... I know for a fact that there were big changes in that part of the code at update 1.1.0 because people I trust have told me so

• normski7a
    5 posts

Unfortunately running Ubisoft Connect in offline mode doesn't stop the crashing for me. It makes it occur less often, but it does still occur. Happens every 25-30 minutes now as opposed to after about 10 minutes.

On a side note I have deleted the unskipple videos that play when the game launches so I don't have to sit through that each and every time...

• mathis.adam
    4 posts

@electric_squall I kept crashing at the "Saint Albanes Abbey" raid, literally in less than 5 min over 6 times. On one run, I didn't crash. Before these crashes I played 1-2 hours. I've tried offline mode, still crashes in the same area. I get daily crashes, it seems some area's are extra sensitive and I can bear a crash after 2 hours (that's a decent playtime atleast...) but now when I keep doing this raid it crashes 9/10 times, each time in less than 5 minutes. That's unacceptable. I'm done with this game until ubisoft fixes their [censored].

• longjohn119
    617 posts
    Unfortunately running Ubisoft Connect in offline mode doesn't stop the crashing for me. It makes it occur less often, but it does still occur. Happens every 25-30 minutes now as opposed to after about 10 minutes.

On a side note I have deleted the unskipple videos that play when the game launches so I don't have to sit through that each and every time...

That's the first thing I do with every AC game .... a little tip though .... First time just rename them (I like to tack on a .bak extension) which also keeps them from playing ... That way after an update or you verify the game files you'll be able to know which ones to delete because it will add them again .... Odyssey wasn't so bad because you could just spam the A button to skip them but with Valhalla you are forced to sit through them .....

Another advantage of the PC over a game console .....

• ElectricSquall
    22 posts

@mathis-adam I've noticed that later. Some areas are crashing the game, no matter what. This issue was "introduced" within the last patch. Unfortunately, I still didn't figure out what to do to avoid this behavior, but I hardly believe that it is related just to configurations or workarounds we can do ourselves, Ubisoft will probably need to fix their mess inside game's code.

At first I was happy, considering that the Uplay client in offline mode would allow me to play the whole game, but I've reached the "A Fiend in Hell" quest and my game crashes there, no matter what. I've already reinstalled the game but I cant get rid of these crashes.

AC Origins and Odyssey has a Low GPU/High CPU usage problem, Ac Valhalla is broken, The Division 2 crashes in DX12. Ubisoft SHOULD NOT SELL ANYTHING ELSE. They sell broken stuff, period. This company should be out of market.

• noneofyou
    12 posts
    @mathis-adam I've noticed that later. Some areas are crashing the game, no matter what. This issue was "introduced" within the last patch. Unfortunately, I still didn't figure out what to do to avoid this behavior, but I hardly believe that it is related just to configurations or workarounds we can do ourselves, Ubisoft will probably need to fix their mess inside game's code.

At first I was happy, considering that the Uplay client in offline mode would allow me to play the whole game, but I've reached the "A Fiend in Hell" quest and my game crashes there, no matter what. I've already reinstalled the game but I cant get rid of these crashes.

AC Origins and Odyssey has a Low GPU/High CPU usage problem, Ac Valhalla is broken, The Division 2 crashes in DX12. Ubisoft SHOULD NOT SELL ANYTHING ELSE. They sell broken stuff, period. This company should be out of market.

Last patch, do you mean the Druids or before? Crashes were for sure present on version before the newest DLC, so either they were never fixed, or they were already back before druids. For me the game is unplayable, I literally cannot progress through game because on 6800xt crashes to desktop are so frequent. I already reported them with tools from both ubi connect and AMD driver software (they should contact AMD- maybe they could help with some information about crashes), but ubi is so bad that sometimes it's not even aware that the crash occured and tool for reporting doesn't start up.
    I'm scared to think how many players may experience this (on different hardware setups) but simply ignore it or stop playing without reporting the issue.
    But there are two kinds of crashes

• one with driver stopping responding when report tools from ubi and amd pop up (looks like typical gpu/driver software related crash)
    • the other- insta crash to desktop when ubi doesn't know the game crashed (this could be actually related to something ubi specific like online mode or sync, as in my case amd drivers isn't aware of the crash, so this might be 'not graphic related')
  • D4rKy26
    64 posts

@noneofyou the crashes where there before the dlc but not so much compared by it now, for me its unplayable aswell, i hope we get a fix very soon this is getting out of control, the more stuff they put into the game the more crashings to desktop.

• PilotGW
    1 posts

Just wanted to chime in and say I've been experiencing CTDs as far back as patch 1.0.4, shortly after launch (nvlddmkm / hardware error crashes). The game freezes at random intervals with the sound still playing, until it eventually drops to desktop. Seems to most commonly occur during large scale battles, but I've had them roaming the open world as well.

I played the first 30-40 ish hours without issue until the crashes started. I fortunately experienced nothing show stopping as I was able to actually 100% the game, but I must have had at least 15-20 crashes total in my 150 hours of play. It was still frustrating to have to wait for the game to load every time, and of course losing progress.

I recently reinstalled the game to play the DLC and in the 15-20 hours I played I had 4 of the exact same crashes.

I don't believe it's a hardware issue as I played the base game on my old 1080Ti and I played the DLC on my 3080, so unless I'm unlucky enough to own 2 duff cards, I'm more inclined to believe it's the game.

I honestly don't think I'll be back for the second DLC at this rate.

• lieec
    1 posts

240 hours, at least 3-5 crashes a day

• ElectricSquall
    22 posts

@noneofyou - Druids, before, these crashes were not present. I think UBI is working on something, because both AMD and Nvidia users are having the same issues.

I've made a test earlier today. Played the same area in 2 different systems (5950x + 6900xt) and a (11900k+3090) BOTH system crashed the same way, both AMD and Nvidia drivers stopped responding and then recovered. So, the game is really causing theses crashes, how to solve? Only God knows. Ubisoft ALWAYS abandon their games after release, so, AC Valhalla may be broken for a long time, or never get fixed, this is the Scenario with Low GPU usage that affects Origin and Odyssey. The Division 2 as abandoned as well, no fixes for DX12 since the release.

Sad, because this game used to run very well some months ago.

Luck to us all!

• johnnyjo666
    2 posts

I have same problem there my PC is good enough for run this game at ultra settings:
    50 fps.

Gtx 1080 - Ryzen 1500x - 16gb of ram -ect

All the other games AC licence of your company run well on my PC and never crash. I can play to Valhalla like 8 hours no crash but in some zones bang...freeze and crash. Ubisoft connect synchronize and im on my desktop.

Its okay to ask to try all the basics things that can affect pc gamers but now its done and the problem is not there.

Like previous comments of mine, I really think it can be a trouble with Ubi connect or codes in game. I never had crash in nature area like woods, always in city or small fortress where you can find more NPC.

Your AC games are my favorites games since AC II, please Ubisoft do something cause I almost finish the game but it was there for ruin my entire experience, and Valhalla if we remove this problem is an excellent game.

Many thanks

• Coach811981
    34 posts

@johnnyjo666

Think you're definately right that Ubisoft Connect app is culprit for majority of crashes.

Whether they will ever fix the issue is a matter of debate.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics