Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Daniel2131991
    Original poster 6 posts

Hello dear Ubisoft,
    I have been having a somewhat hard time enjoying your open world games in the last few years. Valhalla is in some aspects a step in the right direction and I just wanted to quickly point out some things, I think will make your games better, if I may.

1. Open World Design - STOP MARKING EVERYTHING! If every point of interest is marked, it implies that the rest of the world has nothing to offer and makes players run from marker to marker. The world should be built in a way which makes the player want to explore it himself (without always following a marker). Example: a player is at a vantage point and sees an old ruin in the distance to the east -> the player marks the ruin manually (via the bird) -> on the way to the ruin the player discovers a cabin in the woods and goes to explore it -> in the cabin he finds a treasure map leading him to some stone formation far west -> the player marks the stone formation manually (via the bird). Now the player has discovered three things (ruin, cabin, stone formation) all on his own without any markers. This way of exploration would be more rewarding than running from marker to marker, I think.
    2. Combat - Make enemies react to damage permanently. If an enemy is hit in the leg, make him limp. If hit in both legs, make him kneel or crawl. If an enemy is hit in the arm, make him drop his shield or weapon (being held in this arm), if hit in both arms, make him kick, flee or beg for mercy. The only thing you then have to balance is how hard it is to hit an enemy. They will have to block and dodge more or wear armor which needs a few hits to break. If you make your enemies able to maintain 100% strength while even at low health, it kills immersion. Also if you slash someone through the chest with your sword or pierce them with your spear and they continue fighting, it just doesn't feel as good as it could.
    3. AI / NPCs - The world can only feel as alive as the NPCs which populate it. Make NPCs react more. Based on the players actions, he could e.g. be worshipped, respected, neutral, hated or feared among NPCs or enemies in a certain village. NPCs could flee, make comments, increase or lower the prices of their goods, gift the player, avoid the player, have less or more dialogue options, etc.. Having NPCs just as world filler material makes the world seem more like a backdrop and less like an interactive environment.

In my opinion those are the three big topics every Ubisoft open world game is suffering from.

Things you did well in Valhalla are for example:

• less generic loot
    • gear which can last forever if you take the effort of upgrading it
    • rewarding rewards (like good gear or abilities when doing side-quests or activities)
    • gaining level ups / skill points more frequently, but creating a skill tree in which only each 5th skill point spent (or so) makes a very big difference, the rest also helps you but not in a way that you get overpowered with all the skill points you earn
    • fun minigames which make the world feel a little more alive
    • a strategic element (like the war table and the home base - which could both be improved if there was a little more decision making involved)

I would also love to hear the opinions of fellow gamers. Maybe I am the only one who thinks those are Ubisoft's big problems?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• dbgager
    158 posts

@daniel2131991 And that would be your description of what you want the game to be..Not everybodies. As far as your combat complaints no game does what you described. AS far as your world complaints. I am not going to hunt in a gigantic map for all those places. You would never find anything . And NO game does all your NPC stuff either.

• Daniel2131991
    Original poster 6 posts

@dbgager Of course that's only my opinion, that's why I also wanted other gamers to join the discussion. Have you played Zelda:BotW? It has a huge world an no map markers at all. Yet you find something interesting every 40 seconds on average.
    No game has done what AC has done before AC happened - not a reason for not doing it, though 🙂
    I would love to know what you think about the ideas. Would you play a game which does things like described or how would you like things handled?

• madness3v3
    38 posts

Put in one handed swords dammit!

• longjohn119
    618 posts
    @daniel2131991 And that would be your description of what you want the game to be..Not everybodies. As far as your combat complaints no game does what you described. AS far as your world complaints. I am not going to hunt in a gigantic map for all those places. You would never find anything . And NO game does all your NPC stuff either.

There is a reason for that, the PS4 and Xbox One doesn't have a strong enough CPU for those kinds of physics ..... However some of that could change once they drop support for these technologically ancient consoles and start developing exclusively for the PS5 and Series X/S which all have the same basic CPU .... essentially a slightly nerfed version of the R7 3700 (Slower speeds, smaller caches and likely a lower TDP)

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@daniel2131991

Nice post, and I agree with most of what you say. For point 1 though I find that Ubisoft with Valhalla (after 11h hours played) has made a huge leap forward. I have both in Norway and England encountered countless places that were not marked at all but that I found enjoyable to explore and where rewarded with smaller chests (e.g. unmarked underwater shipwrecks or small campsites).
    (I play on the hardest difficulty for all three parameters, don't know if more markers are present if you make exploration easier?)

For your "thing that Valhalla did good" list, I really want to add one thing:

• The sheer size of the settlement without it feeling empty is really impressive.
  • dl_thunderr
    15 posts
    Less generic loot

What? They remove level so we dont get generic loot. This is not the old AC. Its an RPG now btw.

gear which can last forever if you take the effort of upgrading it

It does last forever...There is no level in this game

rewarding rewards (like good gear or abilities when doing side-quests or activities)

It does give us abilities when doing activities.....There arent many gear, but they are all unique.

fun minigames which make the world feel a little more alive

There are minigames. I think there is 3 types.

a strategic element (like the war table and the home base - which could both be improved if there was a little more decision making involved)

This will be released in the next free update.

Buddy, i dont want to offend you. But it feels like you didnt even play the game. This makes no sense.

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@dl_thunderr
    I'm pretty sure that he has played the game.

All the points that you are criticising/commenting on, are point highlighted as being done well by ACV. So it makes very much sense.

• dl_thunderr
    15 posts

@aloninor how does it makes sense? He is asking for stuffs that the game already have.

• Netspook
    261 posts

@daniel2131991
    Completely disagree about combat. Crippling enemies like you describe will only make combat MUCH easier, and therefore even more boring. And making them flee or beg for mercy? What??

"It kills immersion". Well, sometimes gameplay is far more important than how immersive stuff is.

Combat is already crap, your suggestions will make make it completely unplayable. All imo, of course.

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@dl_thunderr
    No, please read the original post. Every single item you criticised is on the list of things that the original poster highlights as things that already are done well in Valhalla. So all of these are not wishes.

• dl_thunderr
    15 posts

@aloninor Oh god. Im so stupid. Lol
    Sorry for that xD

• Aloninor
    94 posts

@dl_thunderr

No worries - just glad we got the confusion untangled 🙂

• Aedelion
    32 posts

Fix the censored asian version please! No blood combat is extremely jarring!!!

• Azzahawk288
    1 posts

I’m hoping the devs will add proper real swords in not the giant swords that look fake. I was so gutted I couldn’t use a sword and shield. It’s to late to add but i really thought they would of added aylesford or even Maidstone to cent I live close to these Maidstone was raided by Vikings and aylesford was a important Ford crossing in that day. Instead added tonbridge? Oh well. But please add the swords devs

• Aloninor
    94 posts
    Fix the censored asian version please! No blood combat is extremely jarring!!!

Please use one of the existing threads for this specific feedback, we really don't need to read that in every single thread 🙂 Thanks

• Daniel2131991
    Original poster 6 posts

@netspook How so? If you make enemies block or dodge more intelligently, they will be as hard to defeat as you want them to be. You could also armor their limbs, of course (but I think a witty enemy is always more interesting to fight against than just a tanky one).
    Fleeing or surrendering would be nice, imo. That could play into my third point. If you kill enemies who are fleeing or surrendering, your honor (or whatever you want to call it) could go down.
    Why don't you want them to flee or surrender, if you overpowered them?

• Tar-Naugrim
    52 posts
    1. Open World Design: A fully support this. Right now the exploration is still fun, but it's exactly as you put it, run from marker A to marker B and repeat. You kind of have no free will in a way. I am ok with markers, but for them to be visible once you actually travel to them and discover them yourself.
    2. Combat: Here is where most of my issues lie. I'd like for enemies to block you and not just take each and every hit and pretend like it's nothing. Sekiro did this well where even the basic NPCs will block two or three of your attacks before you can kill them. Here it feels a bit unrealistic. I'd like to have more executions. I loved the old AC games because they had like 5-6 different executions per weapon type, for example in Black Flag you had few executions for the dual wielding swords, for one handed, for axes, for muskets etc. which made it look epic. Wooden shields are getting broken in two hits and NPCs proceed to throw them to the ground, which is annoying me so much. NPCs and you dealing the same amount of damage through the whole swing of your weapon, even if you've already hit 2-3 enemies. Combat is enjoyable, but it definitely needs more work. It feels better than Odyssey which I stopped playing after 90 hours, because I got tired of bashing enemies endlessly before they died.
    3. AI/NPCs: I agree with this, it's fun when you start a raid, kill some soldiers, burn some houses and you turn around and see the previously fleeing villagers just casually walking back in again. I was also saddened by the fact that when you kill civilians in a raid you get desynchronized. Was hoping for a system where the more civilians you kill the less likely people are to trade/deal with you and to put fear in enemies hearts. The combat AI needs work as well.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

Even the most gorgeous world does not feel immersive when NPCs don't act the part. You can enter a village, kill all the soldiers and villagers will just walk about their business. This breaks immersion. What you should program NPCs to do is to run towards the most secure building, or run away. Or hide for as long as there is trouble.

• Aloninor
    94 posts
    Even the most gorgeous world does not feel immersive when NPCs don't act the part. You can enter a village, kill all the soldiers and villagers will just walk about their business. This breaks immersion. What you should program NPCs to do is to run towards the most secure building, or run away. Or hide for as long as there is trouble.

I agree, but as far as I have observed that is currently the case. When starting to kill Saxon soldiers, the civilian NPC's in range start screaming and running away.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics