Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TiffyBears
    Original poster 2 posts

I don't have a lot of hours (12+ just about) but so far I have a few things that really annoy me. I'm not a huge die-hard fan of AC as really the only games I've played are Origins and Odyssey (and I only finished Odyssey). Regardless of my limited play-time, some huge complaints that don't necessarily break me from the game, but I really do wonder why Ubisoft took the turn that they did:

1) This bird. Why. You took away a huge part of the game imo, and a huge use for your Eagle/Raven. You can't mark any enemies which is a huge bust - You do have Odin's vision, however: For me, it seems to be really finicky and works only when it wants. There's been several occasions where it quits working completely and I'm left wondering why. Not only does it cut in and out, but it has a limited range. No big deal, except for the fact that it "wears" off and things are no-longer highlighted. Bringing back Black-flags take on highlighting enemies does not tickle my particular fancy. I really enjoyed Origin's/Odyssey's way better as it gave more of a use to the bird. Now, it isn't really important to use your Raven. I mean, sure, you can use it to scout out materials that are hard to come by, and that's nice, but that's really it. Maybe I just rather enjoyed the system far more than I thought I did as I think Ubisoft took a step backwards here. Your companion should have more uses than just 1 small thing, which even then you can just purchase your materials for an easier time as the material quantity is small (like 4-6 iron per node) and seems to be a waste of time. It's a small thing to complain about, but I don't know, the finicky system, it wearing off, and the limited range is a pretty big turn off. I won't of course uninstall my game over it, but it's one of those small things that really tick you off as you play.

2) The stamina bar. To me, it seems like Ubisoft goes back and forth as to whether or not they want to be realistic. In my opinion, realism should only go so far, especially in a game that literally takes you to hell to finish off a target, or that has glowing pyramids that speak to you, or that has mythical creatures for you to kill. Realism, at that point, is thrown out the window, and it's for the better. I don't think (as far as my limited AC knowledge goes) there has been a stamina bar in the past, so why add it now? I do suppose I can understand so you can't combo your attacks nearly as much, but if we take a moment to hop back to Odyssey, the abilities were extremely "broken" - You can just 1-shot literally anyone with 1 ability, and if you had the Season Pass, you had a thunder-strike looking thing that gave you 3 Adrenaline and it took half their health. You go from having 8 abilities for Melee to 4, then you drop the adrenaline bar down to 1 (it started low in Odyssey, I am aware, so maybe there's an upgrade down the line. Not bashing the # of Adrenaline bars per say), and add a stamina bar? It doesn't bother me all that much to be frank, as it doesn't run down that slow, but the fact that it's there at all seems a little unnecessary unless you add in a [censored]-ton of Adrenaline bars and abilities. I feel like the Stamina bar should've been in Odyssey rather than Valhalla.

3) my boat is tiny. 😞

4) Has anyone noticed that when you zoom out the map it automatically pulls you down? No matter where your mouse is, the map zooms out and drops you down to where you have to scroll back up to where you were, but when you zoom-in, it zooms in on your character? It looks like it's pulling you to your settlement, and no matter where you put your mouse, it just gives you a fat pull downwards. Not a fan. Incidentally, I hated the Map system when I first started Odyssey (went from Origins to Odyssey and they were different, I also hated Ikaros [the way it forces you to look upwards/straight, then you have to look down]), but then I began to like it. Now, they moved the system back to the Map mechanics of Origins. Very trippy.

5) I kinda wish there were more defined lines between the parts of the map regions, but it's a really small thing that doesn't bother me a whole [censored]-ton. Just thought I'd mention it.

6) That colorblind mode is [censored] lol. It was also [censored] in the Division 2. I was excited to see it there but it made 0 affect. It says that it's changed and I restarted it, so not sure what's supposed to be changing. I would've thought the out-lines of the enemies changing from Red to whatever, but it just didn't happen. A thing I see with a lot of developers is that it's pre-set based off of the majority that are x colorblind, but I think being able to customize everything, from the color of the dots that represent Wealth, Artifacts, and Mysteries, to the outline of the enemies (and making Odin's vision permanent kthx). would be a must-have addition if you're going to have colorblind mode as an option to begin with. Also, a fun fact: People with the colorblindness Protanopia, *for the most part* (I included) can't distinguish the colors red at all. I was SS'ing for a friend who is not colorblind and she laughed when I sent her a picture of the "colorblind" feature that you can toggle at the very start of the game. She said, and I quote "The normal vision and Protanopia vision are the exact same. Nothing changes". Which, is funny, because Protanopia is red colorblindness. I thought she was messing with me, but lo-behold, she was not. [this is the image that pops up when you go to change the colorblind setting, but if you actually set the Protanopia setting, it's Green. It also didn't load for me right away and took about 3 tries before randomly working for no reason at all.) I don't particularly rely on video games having this feature, however, as the vast majority of them don't. May I suggest a color-wheel of sorts that label each color so you know what you're picking. I was happy to see it there, regardless, even if it was, well, awful.

7) I would like to use E to get off my horse just like in every other god damn [censored] game. Let me just change it myself. I can have E for my horse be get on and get off. It's worked with every other game so far so why change it .-.

8 ) Why can't I craft arrows. Why can't I find wood in the wild. What have you done, Ubisoft, what have you done 😞

9) still mad about the Raven.

10) Why can't I [censored] up the town. I was told there were only like 3 romance options. Let me be a [censored] god-dammit!

11) I actually really liked the Message board from Odyssey. A lot, in fact. I spent probably at least 50-70 hours on the Message Board alone.

12) The abilities overlap with the key assigned (I use Alt+1-Alt+4) so it really muddies up the bottom left and right of my screen. It doesn't bother me a whole ton, but maybe a little bit more space would be a nice addition.

13) There also doesn't seem to be a large amount of side quests. I'm going to assume I'm just too early in the game and be content with that.

14) The story. I uh. I'll just not go there. Again, assuming I'm just too early. Although, killing my mother/father that way was brutal. Just because I'm an assassin doesn't mean I have to have a tragic [censored] start, or ending for that matter [looking at you Odyssey with your Episode 3: Legacy of the First Blade DLC. :(]

15) Why no natural regen. Just why. I liked not having to worry about it.

That was a lot of negatives for ~12 hours into the game. Let's talk positives.
    1) I like the settlement. It's nice.

2) The random games are swell, as well as the tattoo/hair customize options.

3) There's a [censored]-ton of Skills. That's neat.

4) Well. We have shields back. That's kinda nice.

5) The Map is large. I think.

6) You can customize your Raven. Neat.

I more just wanted to complain about the [censored] raven more than anything. I really don't understand that down-grade at all. I'd like to be enlightened for the purpose of it. Just seems like a waste. I know Ubisoft likes to mess around and do things that seem risky, but this was an unnecessary risk. It worked very well with Origins and Odyssey, and if you wanted to take a "risk", give the birdie more things to do, not less. Give it a way to kill, another way to harass (dropping objects for a distraction, perhaps) or a million other things.

Overall, it's not a bad game - It has it's up's and down's and gives me vibes from both Origins and Odyssey that I don't particularly mind. I'd like to see more, and right now, I'm liking Odyssey more than Valhalla. But, as I said, I'm still very fresh in the game. I actually hated Odyssey with a passion when I first started it (the abilities, lack of a variety in bows, no shield, that sort of thing), but I got over the petty [censored] (ironic) and started to enjoy it for what it was. Although, I can't imagine I'll ever really "get over" the Raven's lack of a use as that at least stayed consistently between the 2. I'm hoping, at the very least, if you make Odin's vision either permanent, a larger range, or less finicky, I'll like it more. Those would be what would help me hurdle over the uselessness of the Raven.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

Stamina and no regen are perfect for this game.

No spam Attack - Dodge ,but think and positioning Is important.

God bless there Is stamina.

And so no regen Is a good stuff, you have to organizer before Attack every NPC on your root, and they want to limit the "go in and out to enemy output for have full Life" .

When you Attack an outpost,now you have to think about a Little strategy, kill someone in stealth, don't do Rambo and goes out of things goes hard.

Two usefull stuff, for a Better game.

Too Easy have infinite stamina and live regen.

• TiffyBears
    Original poster 2 posts

@xx-artorias-xx
    I do suppose I can understand the Stamina bit as, like I said in the post, Odyssey got blatantly easy with the abilities and easy regen of the Adrenaline bar, so the Stamina isn't an overall huge make-or-break. The regen is also not a make-or-break thing. I can see adding Stamina to the player, but why the horse? Mounts are just a mode of transport and have no real strategy to them. That, to me, was the big "why is there a Stamina bar" more than the anti-spam-combo ordeal. So, although I get it, I also question the lengths they went for it. It also seems very left-field. No other game has it, and sure, it could make the game more complex, but they made the game less about assassination and stealth and more about brute-strength, which all and all goes against the game's title "Assassins Creed". It's there, just limited. It was far more apparent in both Origins and Odyssey, but lack-luster in Valhalla. I will say it could potentially be to the fact that I'm still early in the game and haven't experienced a whole slew of content, but at the same time, I'm beginning to doubt that there's anything more than just assassinating every now and again. The Stamina bar could be negated entirely if the game was centered about being an Assassin. I don't mind the brute nature per say, and this is me really just nit-picking and playing the devils advocate here.

There is only 1 thing, overall, that truly bothers me about this game. I can get over absolutely everything: The map snapping below my marker, the lack of Side quests (as of yet)/In-depth side quests, No message board/infinite regened quests to grind money and materials, the fact that there are only 3 romance options (it irks me, but I can eventually get over it), and the fact that there is no wood to be collected (very weird) and as a result, I can't craft my own arrows on the fly. However, I can't get over this stupid [censored] raven. It's useless. I've never hated anything more about an AC game than this. I can't be the only one with this complaint. You can't mark anything, you can't do anything, and when you're trying to find a quest it just snaps to somewhere useless. I hate this bird.

• jonnyboosh
    2 posts

I totally agree about the raven. It has no purpose you can't mark enemies or even get info on them. I'll be honest you can't even work out who or where they are. Atleast on odyssey and origins you could use you Eagle to help plan your attack on a fortress, now you just have to run in blind and hope for the best. Constantly having to spam Odin's sight so you can try to sneak round is just annoying.

• FieserMoep
    19 posts

@xx-artorias-xx I mean given your adrinalin abilitty refresh stamina anyway its not like combat has become any more tactical or smart. I just flail away, adrinaline segment full, Valkyr Dive or whatever, flail with dual wielded axes and repeat. Stuff like overleveled Zealots maybe get one or two heavy attacks every thrid circle of this infinite loop until they are dead.

• XX-Artorias-XX
    92 posts

@fiesermoep don't use this escamotage,Is your choice that ruins the game:)

Stay in combat.

I think that they should add stamina consume when run and light Attack, and no regen with adrenaline.

Now Is Easy ,even at max difficulty.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

@tiffybears I think of the stamina bar as posture from Sekiro. In fact, I approach the combat in this game entirely like Sekiro. It's almost 1:1 the same as far as mechanics go. It's just much worse because of the power level system and how poorly designed some of the enemies are. You have to "protect" your stamina by being aggressive and hitting enemies and timing deflects, just like in Sekiro. The only time I ever find myself running out of is from spamming the weapon special attacks honestly.

No health regen is fine, but there are major issues with consumable itemization intended to support that system. Sometimes you just can't even heal because there are no healing plants or food to gather anywhere. Grit helps with it a bit when you're having to actually fight and can actually totally negate all damage in some cases. Without Grit, you're just out of luck if you can't find any food though. Most of the boss rooms have a whopping ONE node of mushrooms, so make sure you come into fights prepared or you're gonna regret it. Which means you might have to go scouring the woods somewhere because rather than having an even spread of healing consumables to access, they bunch tons of them up in cities or specific wilderness areas with more than you'd ever really need to use. And then in areas where you DO need them, they'll have one or two nodes instead.

The same can be said for arrows too. Why in the world have some bosses that actually depend on you using your bow to properly fight them as intended but not actually put arrows in the boss rooms?

Agree on the raven too. He's unfortunately useless most of the time. The fact that you can't ping your vision from the raven is strange to me, and even more strange that you can't mark enemies to track which has been a feature in the game since at least AC3. I'd assume the raven would still be flying around seeing everything to relay it back to you even when you're not directly controlling it.

Wait until you realize how many i-frames enemies get and how completely [censored] some of the hitboxes and hit tracking are. Not to mention enemies using ranged attacks through their allies that you physically cannot even see coming, or being killed through a wall by a pikeman.

• Gravelmead
    62 posts

@tiffybears The map needs some serious work. It's so very hard to work with at the moment.

Suggested Topics