Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• zhead_
    Original poster 31 posts

I and plenty of others are having issues with sound such as echoes, reverb, compression and overall a completely off putting experience. Background noise can be louder than dialog, music often doesn't play, footsteps are very loud while everything else is muffled. Every dialog sounds like people are in a bathroom speaking.

Reports are all over reddit as you can see in the following links just to name a few:

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Ubi-Swaggins
    Ubisoft Support Staff 359 posts

@zhead_ Sorry to hear that you have not been having a good time with the audio in-game.

Can you provide any video examples of audio problems you have listed? We can send these off to the team so they can take a closer look?

Official Response
  • almondcat34
    1 posts

I'm having the same issues, I have my exploration music setting on high, but it is so muffled or quiet. Character dialog is the only that stands out for audio. Combat has almost no audio except for attacks that just sound like characters are attacking eachother with sticks. Audio while on the longship is a similar issue. Character banter/chatter is clear but the longship moving through the water or even back ambience audio is completely quiet.

• megsout
    2 posts

@zhead_ I’m having issues too. On PC. The audio is very metallic and tinny, especially Eivor’s dialogue. She sounds like she inhaled helium. Other VO is ok though..

• diiorio
    40 posts

only issue i have wit hsound is main characters voice is too loud over others. Music on raids and other places far too low (pc)

• megsout
    2 posts

@megsout this is a good example
    from Reddit of what’s going on:

Character #1: 60%
    Character #2: 50%
    Character #3: 80%

Eivor: 140%

• furuseth33
    1 posts

I also have this issue (PC)

• Tadiian
    16 posts
    @megsout this is a good example
    from Reddit of what’s going on:

Character #1: 60%
    Character #2: 50%
    Character #3: 80%

Eivor: 140%

Don't forget the Horn. Loudest sound in a PC Game ever.

• kaixr8
    2 posts

I’m finding this issues as well, loads of echoes when speaking and Evior’s voice sounds tinny. Also, when I’m on the boat and request a song only the music plays? No voices, I can hear the stories though.

• carpetmonster88
    14 posts

Many sounds, especially dialogues have strange echo, some of them are too loud. Looks like sound is completly out of balance. From what I see for some console users setting "stereo" sound mode in console settings helped. On PC I already have sound set to stereo and still having echoes. From my perspective it looks like issue with recognising customer device and using some predefined ingame setting that makes mess of "surround" sounds. From what I see similar issues were reported for both previous games and in both situations repaired in much later patches.
    This is the first Ubisoft game that I preordered, I believe the last as clearly no one in Ubisoft is learning from their previous mistakes.

• xrayspex_73
    141 posts

I also notice that the sound quality and mix is all over the place. Often sounds overly compressed and scratchy. Some sounds are far too loud, some are far too soft. It's pretty distracting. Sometimes it cuts out for split seconds here and there...

I even fired up Odyssey to see how it sounded (It sounds fine). Something is very strange with the audio in Valhalla.

• Rhazerr
    3 posts

@ubi-swaggins Loads of people are having issues, myself included.

Uncompressed audio, tin sounding, cutting in and out. Generally awful audio all around. Please see this reddit post for a complete rundown from an audio producer. https://www.reddit.com/r/ACValhalla/comments/js3hw1/pc_audio_producer_hobbyist_here_what_on_earth/

• zhead_
    Original poster 31 posts

is a short video showing some dialog issues.
    To note:

• Echoing in Eivar's voice and how each character speaks as if they were in different places and distances.
    • Footstep folume in different surfaces
    • ambient sound very dull
    • No music at all (sometimes there is music, most of them there is not)

Sound settings

Headphones have support for surround sound (wich is deactivated) but also happens with simple stereo headphones.

Also, ignore the graphical issues, thats for another report

• Rhazerr
    3 posts

@ubi-swaggins

Also, there are 14 pages of people with audio issues if you search for "audio" in the valhalla forums. You should be able to garner there is indeed a serious issue going on.

• zhead_
    Original poster 31 posts

@kaixr8 They actually sing? ahah didn't even realized that

• PierreAngelique
    28 posts

Ubisoft, please read this post, the audio quality is distractingly bad. The first link the OP lists gives a good description of what is going on. Everything sounds really compressed and is poorly mixed.

• GKAmbassador
    2 posts

I am having the exact same issue. Eivor is beyond loud and drowns out every other sound around him. Another issue I have are his grunts and footsteps; incredibly loud as well. The dialogue is extremely echo-y, and there's almost no environment sounds around you. Just overwhelmingly loud NPCs along with Eivor. It's making it difficult to play.

• josecremado
    3 posts

@diiorio I'm having the same issue. The music is too low and the main character are too loud. In a battle situation, i hear the main character but i can't hear the songs.

• josecremado
    3 posts

@almondcat34
    I'm having the same issue. The music is too low and the main character are too loud. In a battle situation, i hear the main character but i can't hear the songs.

• shkeptikal
    1 posts

Throwing my hat into the borked audio ring. Will repost here what I had to say about it on Reddit:

This is the first AAA game I've ever played that noticeably and immediately sounded bad across the board and there are some very.....odd mixing choices on top of the general bad quality. Example: I pretty quickly noticed with my 5.1 setup that when you enter into a 1 on 1 conversation, the voice audio completely shifts to center. So I did what any (in)sane person would do in the name of experimentation after fiddling with every possible software variable and switched out my 5.1 speakers for bookshelf units to assess the difference.

There's still a notable shift in voice tracks when going from ambient speaking to 1 on 1, and it still sounds awful. The stereo setup is slightly less jarring when the audio tracks swap so I'm leaving it for now but holy hell I've never heard a AAA sound department screw up this badly. How this ever got out of the door at Ubi (much less skipped over by reviewers) in this state is a mystery to me. I've played oooooodles of low budget indie games with better sound quality. There's absolutely no excuse for this with an audio department that no doubt has millions of dollars worth of equipment and experience.
    Glad I rented the game for a month with Ubi+ instead of buying outright. Won't be resubscribing or purchasing the game either way at this rate, which is a real bummer tbh. Audio aside, I'm really enjoying the experience a lot. Unfortunately, the garbage audio is present in literally 100% of that experience.

So there you have it Ubisoft. Two entirely different speaker setups, every software variable toggled at least twice, still garbage audio. This is not a user error, it's YOUR error. Fix. Your. Mess. Or at the very least, release an uncompressed audio pack add-on for those of us with working ears. This level of quality is embarrassing for a AAA studio and you've lost a sale over it until you rectify it.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics