Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• BogTheBuilder
    Original poster 19 posts

I feel there was a missed opportunity to have us equip armour and clothing specific to the time period. All I have for Eivor is unique gear with set bonuses. That's great and all, guys, but you developers really need to understand how these MMORPG mechanics work. They implement common, uncommon, rare and magic gear for a good reason. It's not to dump early gear stat spreads onto us, it's to fuel the lore.

You really could have done something special here, like looting the armour off the guards or bandits we kill in the open world or finding armour and weapons stashed in the barracks of outposts and monasteries. It feels absolutely ridiculous to be walking around in superior and mythical gear sets so early on in the narrative.

What I'm saying here, is that modern developers disrespect the values of item rarities. You have us walking around in such high tier gear so early on, that they lose their value. Gear sets with set bonuses are usually legendaries that drop in end game dungeons or Raids. So why do I have the opportunity to upgrade gear sets to mythical rarity with such low effort? Why can I do that at all??

Why do you guys even do this if you can't do it the way it is supposed to be done? Despite how much I dislike Odyssey, Ubisoft Quebec at least got that right.

I expected more from the legends behind the Assassin's Creed IP.

At least you got everything else right, so not all is lost.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• BogTheBuilder
    Original poster 19 posts

@bogthebuilder

The gear procs aren't even that cool. You'd think that wielding Mjolnir and donning Thor's armour would at least involve a little bit of thunder, right? We can ignite a battleaxe, but Gods forbid we summon bolts of lightning from Odin himself, upon bonking someone with Mjolnir. Jesus Christ, if you're gonna do gear sets with bonuses and legendary weapons of myth, at least respect them.

• forcefrank
    91 posts

@bogthebuilder Such an excellent post and one I was thinking about myself as I was playing the game myself last night. I guess it was within the first 20 minutes I was presented with gear that was vastly superior to what I had started with, both weapons and armor. Plus the whole jumping back and forth between Layla and Alexios/Eivor just ruins it for me, but that's another topic.

I think the reason behind it is the generation we're living in. Seems most players want instant gratification without putting in much effort, it's been that way for awhile now and I see it in a lot of other games (looking at you Destiny). Not sure what can be done about it because I'd venture a guess that most of the devs for AAA game companies are of younger age and they probably feel the same way.

There are some games though that don't need the rush to godliness like COD, Fortnite, and others, do. Games like AC, The Witcher series, Skyrim, the old Fallout series, all of them are meant to be played for hundreds of hours, allowing one to be totally immersed in both the story and the gear, abilities we pick up and acquire. I wish game companies would get back to respecting the values of item rarities, as you mention in your post. We're powerless unless more of us demand it of game devs, unfortunately. Great post though.

• BogTheBuilder
    Original poster 19 posts

@forcefrank Absolutely. I rather enjoyed Odyssey's abundance of armour because it gave me something to farm for, something to build. I feel like Valhalla is going to have absolutely no replay value whatsoever and no reason to continue playing once the story and mysteries are done.

This is the issue and the one thing I hate about developers who try to use MMORPGs as the template to build upon: they do not conform to the rules that all MMORPGs abide by.

There is nothing wrong with spending hundreds of hours wearing purple gear (epic, unique, whatever the devs choose to call them) before you start collecting the rarest legendary sets from Raids or dungeons. That's what makes MMORPGs fun to play. The build variety, the reason to continue playing them for hundreds of more hours. Odyssey isn't even a fully fledged MMO and it already dove in the right direction. So why did Valhalla downgrade?

There's an extremely lazy excuse in saying "we wanted to craft gear that's unique, to have more of an impact than random gear". Firstly, check yourself before you make that statement. The Huntsman set is all wrong. Montreal have given it the extra damage every 20 metres further from an enemy yeah?

That perk goes on a bow, not on a set of armour. I personally would have put a better proc on a LEGENDARY set, of the Huntsman, which would be something like 'longer detection time for animals and hostile NPCs' for a 2-3 piece bonus, then 'extra damage when shooting unaware animals and hostiles' or 'double damage when shooting from the shadows or a hiding place' for a 5 piece set bonus.

Secondly, gear set bonuses should only ever be applied to legendary gear. If they're stubborn on this, the least they could have done was apply the set bonuses to mythical gear and have anything of lesser rarity be stats for spreads or 'builds'.

Thirdly, the gear in-game isn't even reflective of the time period. It's not thematic, it's actually quite lazy. Where are the sets of hlenca? Coppergate helms? Half of the gear that existed in the Anglo-Saxon period of the 5th and 11th century is not obtainable, nor can we even loot it. We can't even have our armoursmith craft us armour. What use is he then? Just for upgrades? Or boring gear that should only exist in linear isometrics like Icewind Dale or Planescape?

Have the devs even played MMORPGs and done extensive research into what makes a good proc and what makes a bad proc? If the bonus on a gear set is boring or not flashy or outright mundane, it should not be on that gear.

Let's look at what makes Valhalla's gear set bonuses so terrible. Firstly, the Berserker set: Increase speed when taking damage until you heal yourself - Additional increase to attack and armour.

Now, this does not sound at all like the berserkers of old. Why were they even called berserkers? Because they fought without feeling pain. For Christ's sake, at least take a look at the history and make something fun out of this set. What should be done here, is this:

2-3 set piece bonus - Taking damage builds a multiplier of increased damage (up to 4x stack). 5 set piece bonus - Once you have all stacks, doing a heavy attack spends those stacks to deal massive damage, bypassing the stun bar of any enemy at the cost of dealing 10% of your maximum health as damage to yourself.

What Montreal have done here, is screwed it all up. They have added boring stat increases for the 5 piece set bonus instead of a PROC. A proc is a special modifier that activates upon a chance percentage. This can be anything from a 5% chance to deal damage over time on hit or critical hits allow you to use a skill with no global cooldown, once per minute. Those are old school MMORPG procs but modern ones are more fun like a 5% chance to summon a thunderbolt upon hit (once every 2 minutes) or a 1% chance to summon an Asgardian warrior upon critical hit (once every 5 minutes) for 60 seconds.

Montreal clearly did not think this through, or they ran out of time. I want to believe that they knew what they wanted but had to ship out this mess early, because the gear and their set bonuses are absolutely atrocious and boring.

• BogTheBuilder
    Original poster 19 posts

@bogthebuilder To add to the earlier point I made, about wearing the second last highest rarity of gear for hundreds of hours: do not make the mistake that Destiny 2 has made. Spamming legendaries, making them more common than commons, is a sure-fire way to kill your game.

I doubt Montreal will ever fix this boring gear but if they somehow manage to do it, I expect they will make this very same mistake. I don't wanna see legendaries drop before I hit the endgame and that's what Quebec did too. It's stupid and, once again, devalues the rarities.

As you've said: modern gamers want instant gratification and will [censored] and moan if it takes them 100 hours to even see one piece of legendary gear. But... that's the point. Some players of MMORPGs don't even have legendaries that someone else has, which is why the auction house exists. But again, that's the point of them being LEGENDARY. So they reflect their value. So that some players have the fabled Gungnir and other players do not.

Farming for gear at the endgame keeps your game alive. Good endgame content that has chances to drop this gear (1%-5%) keeps your game alive. I would be happy to spend tens of hours farming a Fenrir Raid if the boss drops Fenrir thematic legendary gear that Eivor can equip.

But Montreal, as much as I respect and love you guys: you made a mistake. You gave us your "unique gear" (not actually, cuz the "bonuses" are boring and make no sense) in the hopes that we would ignore it and focus on the gameplay and the world instead.

Here's the thing about open world RPGs: the RPG player base cares more about builds and theorycrafting than playing a linear action game. Oh wait, this isn't a linear action RPG. This is not Assassin's Creed 1, or Assassin's Creed 2. This is an open world RPG with heavy RPG mechanics.

The builds in MMORPGs are never tied to skill trees: they're tied to gear. We all start from zero - commons, uncommons, rares and magicals, to hero - epics and legendaries.

Yet Eivor has started from hero. Why? Why would you do it like this? Please, fix this. Please fix the gear. I can't enjoy this game if I'm playing a character with boring gear, with boring set bonuses. Heck, why do we have gear with set bonuses from level 1?? They should be endgame gear dropping from Raids and dungeons.

Why am I not clad in common gear right now?

This is all wrong and ruins the immersion.

• detroitin2019
    99 posts

I agree, partially. Personally I hate end game gear in games like these. I would never replay or keep playing a game if main reason for doing so
    was to get gear for a game I already beat. I do think the higher tier gear should be challenging and rewarding but be obtainable before the end so I can enjoy it.
    The part where people are complaining about having such powerful gear early, there’s a solution. Don’t wear it. Don’t upgrade it. Don’t fill it up with runes, etc. You can complain you shouldn’t have it that early in general but also easy to not take advantage of. I’m near completing Norway so not sure about all the other set bonuses or how hard items may be to obtain. I’m just wearing and using what I like, not what has best stats. That ruins it for me if I’m stat or bonus chasing. I do play combat at hardest difficulty.

I do wish a little more variety and options of even normal items just to be more representative, as someone else mentioned.

• Ehllfhire1
    86 posts

@bogthebuilder blame UBI for caving to the the game has too much loot crowd.

• BogTheBuilder
    Original poster 19 posts

@detroitin2019 I respect that :3 I still have a deep seated love for AC1 and AC2, my all time favorite ARPGs. The issue though, with open world games like these, is that their very nature requires end-game content to keep us invested, because they are far too large to replay multiple times. Especially if there's no gear to farm for, to min/max stats, or even gear with really cool procs to be excited about. Tell me, what's exciting about increased movement/attack speed upon hit? For a legendary gear set?

I fully expected something closer to a real RPG from this game. Y'know, some set bonuses that give us extra projectile damage when shooting from the shadows or a hiding place (like how you can shoot from haystacks or bushes), or a legendary set that gives you a 100% chance to fatally kill someone by landing on them from a specific height (not via assassination). Something cool, y'know? What really peeves me though, is the lack of historically accurate armour. They got some of the weapons right, but who plays an open world RPG to stare at their weapon the whole time? 100% of our experience is gonna be spent staring at our player character, so we need to see some armour that's appropriate for the time that this game is set in yeah? That would be 873 AD, the 9th century: most commonly known as the Anglo-Saxon period.

I don't see [censored] from that period of history. I don't see any leather spaulders, chainmail cuisses, spangenhelms. Nothing of the sort. Nor can we loot these from barracks, monasteries, heck: we can't even craft leather armour.

I'm all for unique, lore-based, weapons and armour. I've played Balder's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Icewind Dale. I've played TES Morrowind, which had hand-placed unique weapons and daedric armor sets in specific locales across Vvardenfell. I am no stranger to these mechanics and systems, but Montreal screwed it all up. This is their crime.

• BogTheBuilder
    Original poster 19 posts

@ehllfhire1 Those came from reviewers who don't even play RPGs or MMORPGs. If Ubisoft actually believed they had credibiity, they screwed up big time. Of all the content creators that play Odyssey the most, they are RPG fanatics. They LOVE Odyssey and Quebec's gear system and they're right to do so. It not only gives us builds and something to farm for, it gives us transmogrification. You cannot have transmog, without the gear placed in your inventory. The transmog effects only apply to gear you pick up, therefore Valhalla cannot implement this system which is the crux many players now are crowing about.

There is always a good thing about MMORPG item rarities (done right) in open world RPGs. It appeals to the hardcore RPG/MMORPG fanatic and it appeals to the casual gamer, because who doesn't enjoy seeing a fresh new set of greaves they picked up from a bandit, or a really cool monster unique they looted from a world boss that took them an hour to kill?

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics