Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• LogieNUFC
    2 posts
    Hello @LogieNUFC,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I can see that this issue has been reported to the development team and it's currently being investigated. Once we have an update, we are going to let everyone know through the patch notes. Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this and if you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Thanks - is this in relation to both queries?

• B00MSIE
    373 posts

For me (on XSX) the screen tearing in this game has been there since the beginning while in performance mode. It is really unplayable in 60fps. In 30fps mode it is still there, but less noticeable and it’s only irritating me.

• Ubi-Orion
    Ubisoft Support Staff 459 posts

@logienufc

That's correct, both issues are known and under active investigation.

@B00MSIE

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing this as well. Please keep an eye on the megathread for this issue here for updates on this as we get them.

Official Response
  • vagmc1982
    10 posts

@logienufc I expect this issue never ever to get fixed. Look, the game is out since Nov '20 and the tearing issues still persist. Even people with a VRR TV report about it. The only way to enjoy the game is to play it in quality mode, imo. It's a shame that AC Valhalla and Immortals Fenyx Rising are the only games that suffer from this issue when played in 60fps (PS5 included). No wonder that a quality mode was implemented in both games.

• greg_1901
    1 posts

Hi,

tl;dr: Game stutters when started first time and fixes itself after I swich console OFF and ON 2 times.

I would like to ask for help with strange issue I have with AC: Valhalla.
    So, every time turn console on and start game, I have frame time/stuttering issue – when I pan camera around, I see very annoying jitter. Maybe this is related to screen tearing issue (screen tearing can also be caused by frame time variances from refresh rate) and instead of tearing I have this jitter on VRR screen, but jitter looks same when I turn VRR off – no tearing.

I found that turning off and on whole console fixes problem on 50% of attempts. Sometimes I have to do it twice and this always fixed problem. It seems issue disappears every time there’s “controller disconnected” error during the game after powering on (but disconnecting controller without power off/on does nothing).

I only have few other games (this is my first game console ever) but I have no other problems at all, this is why I suspect something is wrong witch AC itself.
    I’m playing on Xbox Series X connected to monitor in 120 VRR mode.

What I’ve tried:

• Different HDMI cord;
    • different controller;
    • different audio output;
    • different PC monitor;
    • playing on TV;
    • different display modes and resolutions;
    • searched on megathread and this forum in general.

Nothing helped. I don’t think my console is at fault here.
    Does anyone have any idea what can be wrong? I can’t be the only one with such issue 😊. I’m sorry for such long post.
    Thank you in advance for all the tips!

• Ubi-Keo
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1831 posts

@greg_1901 I can confirm this issue has been reported and is still being investigated.

I have merged your post with this Megathread. Please keep checking here and news and announcements for updates.

Official Response
  • B00MSIE
    373 posts

@ubi-borealis

I deleted my previous posts, because I could not edit them and the video's were only 1080p.

XBox Series X
    Encountered it first immediately after starting the game on November 10th 2020
    It occurs less now then just after release, but still constantly inside houses and places like Jorvik.
    Installed on the internal drive.
    Samsung UE50RU7172UXXH

And a video, you see the tearing clearly at the end in the tree. In cut scenes it is much worse, but since I ended the game, I can't make video's of that (And I understood restarting the game will delete all my savegames).

In the second video the tearing is at 0,2s

• B00MSIE
    373 posts

@ubi-borealis

Made 2 other video's just to show you how often it happens. It actually happens constantly. In the first after leaving the well. In the second, you see the wall tearing when I pass the corner, but also the tree later on. The constant tearing really gives me migraine attacks.

These video's were recorded with the build in option on the XBox Series X. It is visible while playing, but also recorded. So it is not the TV. I do not have any tearing in games with an FPS Boost to 60Hz like Unity.

• B00MSIE
    373 posts

@ubi-borealis

I even tried hard quitting the game and restarting the whole XBox, but it keeps tearing

• Ubi-Borealis
    Ubisoft Support Staff 3847 posts

Hello there @B00MSIE!

I've moved your posts over to a more relevant megathread so we can keep all the information you've shared in the right place.

Thank you for taking the time to provide all of the additional information, especially more specific information about the videos you've shared. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to capture and upload so many videos for us. This is very helpful to the development team, and I've passed them on for a closer look.

If anyone else is still encountering screen tearing after trying these console troubleshooting steps, please can you provide us with the following information:

• Please can you confirm which model of Xbox Series you use?
    • When did this issue first happen? How often does it occur?
    • Is the game installed on the internal HDD or an external drive?
    • What is the make/model of the TV you are using?
    • If you can provide any videos that show the screen tearing happening in-game, these will be very helpful for further investigation.

Thank you 😊

Official Response
  • GoobyMongo56
    2 posts

The game is literally unplayable as vsync issues and tearing is very severe in "Performance" mode. When switching to "Quality" mode the frame rate is so choppy that the game is equally unplayable. It seems that this game is not Xbox Series X/S enhanced as advertised because it's clearly not compatible with the console and platform. Users have reported this issue since November 2020 and this issue shouldn't have even been present at game launch.

Users should report this to Microsoft as false advertising and a misuse of the Xbox Series X/S enhanced qualification. Users on Xbox Series X should get refunds on all transactions if Ubisoft is unable to fix this which they clearly can't. Once again REPORT THIS TO MICROSOFT they should put a warning that this game is not compatible with Xbox Series X/S consoles.

This is the only game in my entire Xbox Series X library that has this issue, the only one. Even games that were launched several generations ago and "boosted" from 30fps to 60fps don't have this issue. We have the most powerful console in the entire Xbox family and this game is totally unable to use it in any way, it's a shame.

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @GoobyMongo56! Welcome to the forums 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing screen tearing when playing Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Thank you for taking the time to share your report with us, as well as feedback for the investigation. I would like to assure you that the development team are looking into this issue further. We don't yet have any updates to share with you all from the development team. As soon as we have any new information to share from the investigation, we will let you know within this thread and in the News & Announcements forum.

Thank you 😊

Official Response
  • GoobyMongo56
    2 posts
    Thank you for taking the time to share your report with us, as well as feedback for the investigation. I would like to assure you that the development team are looking into this issue further. 

@ubi-borealis Thanks for the reply but it seems the 1.3.0 title update didn't fix the issue for me on Xbox Series X. Screen tearing was good and things were a bit smoother in the open world but once I entered the main town in Ledecestre in front of the church building tearing became unbearable. It's like the screen being torn into ribbons and makes the game unplayable and ruins any activities there. After leaving that town screen tearing remained in the open world.

What I've done is uninstalled the game and will wait for the fix to be landed before playing again. For all I know it'll be 1-2 years before this is fixed if it is ever fixed at all. Maybe Assassins Creed Infinite will be out by that time which I won't be playing if Ubisoft continues to knowingly release broken games.

Read the article about how Valhalla was developed by 1000+ developers in 17 studios and I'm still shocked that a basic grasp of the graphics drivers and libraries is lacking in all of those studios. You don't have a single software engineer even at a staff or principal level or a tech lead who can't possibly fix this? If any team I was on had a bug this critical and left it "in progress" for a year and never got fixed the VPs would be freaking out and they never tolerate it. This would be expected of a studio that just started making games recently not a AAA studio like Ubisoft with years of experience. Instead of playing this game I played games using other engines from other studios even games that were very old and never saw any tearing. Microsoft Flight Simulator is a new port and it works flawlessly and that game draws insanely detailed huge environments dynamically from maps and there's no screen tearing at all.

Maybe you should contact Microsoft and AMD for help with the drivers because you clearly aren't able to fix it on your own.

• Troopercooper80
    49 posts

Far as I can tell it only happens on 4k quality mode.
    The 30fps just does something weird even in menu’s where you can see the cursor move weirdly all over the place when you move it around.

I only play in performance mode, however I am using an ips 240hz 1ms monitor with amd premium freesync / gsync.

This shouldnt be an issue whatsoever.

I can’t even imagine the horror for people on “regular” tv’s without any type of VRR. (Aka freesync/gsync)

• B00MSIE
    373 posts

@troopercooper80

It also happens in 30fps (quality) mode on my series X. I begin to believe they just gave up on fixing all the bugs and decided to only add some new ones every update.

• Ubi-Borealis

Hello there @GoobyMongo56, @Troopercooper80 & @B00MSIE ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the investigation into screen tearing on Xbox Series X|S. I apologise for any disappointment that may have been caused following TU 1.3.0, and have shared your feedback with the dedicated teams.

I've checked in with the development team, and they are still taking a closer look at this issue. They have not yet shared any updates with us from the investigation, including any news of a fix. Rest assured that the player support team are checking in on the investigation regularly. As soon as we have any new information to share with you all regarding screen tearing issues on Xbox Series X|S, we will let you know within this thread and in the News & Announcements forum.

If you are encountering screen tearing issues in-game, we would recommend that you first give these console troubleshooting steps a try if you haven't already. If the issue continues to persist after trying this troubleshooting, the development team have requested if you can provide us with the following information:

• If you can provide any videos that show the screen tearing happening in-game, these will be very helpful for further investigation.

We can then forward this report to the development team as part of the ongoing investigation.

Thanks! 😊

Official Response
  • smcinturf
    43 posts

Can confirm this has been issue on series X in performance mode since release. I have disc version installed on internal HDD. Samsung KS8000.... No VRR unfortunately. I don't understand why they can't add a vsynch toggle in display settings. Annoying.

• UbiStorm
    Ubisoft Support Staff 377 posts

@smcinturf Thank you so much for answering the questions that @Ubi-Borealis posted above. It's much appreciated! I do apologize for the frustration experienced by this screen-tearing issue as well. Do you happen to have any video clips of this issue that I can forward to the team to help with investigating this? Can I also safely assume that any basic troubleshooting steps didn't seem to help with this issue as well?

Official Response
  • B00MSIE
    373 posts

Xbox Series X

Almost everywhere if you turn around (see my YouTube videos above in this post), but more inside buildings

Internal Series X storage.

Samsung UE50RU7172

see above.

After the last update the amount of screen tearing is still the same.

• Ubi-Borealis

Thank you for sharing your report with us, @B00MSIE. I've passed this along with the videos you shared with us earlier in the thread to the development team so they can take a closer look at these 🙂

Official Response

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics