Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Lukensen87
    15 posts

I have 9.1 Atmos Soundbar and use ''full range audio'' option on my PC, and the audio quality is superb, so I don't know if that's issue on headphones or what, I wish the rest of the game had such high quality (looking especially at you quests bugs lol)

• DoctorMcBatman
    4 posts

I mean, almost anything will sound good on $1,000 equipment @Lukensen87 . Clearly though the audio issues are real, because the thread on reddit got 840 upvotes and 240 comments, and some gilding. Lots of people chimed in agreeing.

(huh, @-ing someone automatically does a line break... another stupid thing on this forum) (also, does anyone know how to change your avatar? I can't seem to find it)

• Lukensen87
    15 posts

@doctormcbatman
    Actually it's much easier to hear very low sound quality on good hardware, the overall audio of AC Valhalla is amazing and very crispy and pounching, much better than in AC Origins or AC Odyssey (my own experience)

I don't say that other people don't have issues, again I'm just sharing my own experience, maybe it's a problem with headphones or game has some incompability with them which Ubisoft needs to fix.
    To the folks having issues, did you try changing your Windows sound settings? I heard that sometimes changing headphones to ''stereo'' or ''5.1'' helps, also game has many options for sound, maybe try to change ''dynamic range'' to light/low or to normal/medium, also there is dialogue enhancer option, try to turn it off or on.
    Best of luck until they fix it.

• DoctorMcBatman
    4 posts

@lukensen87 That is situational and depends on a number of variables, but generally, good gear does improve the tonal quality vs. lower spec gear. I doubt it's a bug only on some people's games. It just seems some people either get used to the poor quality over their playing, or they can't really tell the difference. I have actual audio engineers chiming on my reddit thread who agree with my fairly harsh appraisal of Valhalla's sound; not to mention hundreds of comments from regular players.

Things for you to examine specifically if you want to check again: walking through snow's mix and tonal quality, landing from a jump's vapid thud, certain sounds being obviously too loud or too quiet for the situation, water flowing that sounds like a faucet, etc.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts

More and more people are chiming in on Reddit voicing their opinion. Another thread cropped up and already has 72 upvotes.

We have seen three threads appear in the last 48 hours, now totalling over 300 upvotes.

It would be great if a media publication would cover this issue. I've tried contacting writers at RPS, but we need more help from users here to achieve that.

I also wanted to bring this thread to attention: Are you really not going to make the audio a known issue...?

It does a great job providing links in the OP to all the other reports out there.

Here is also another thread on Reddit that was posted 3 days ago which managed to gain 176 upvotes.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • TheRealDaemon
    21 posts

Saw an article on game pressure quoting the OP and a few other users. Can't post link because it's getting flagged as spam lol. Article name is "Gamers are Irritated by Sound Layer in AC Valhalla".

Hopefully it'll get picked up on more networks and this gets fixed soon.

• Zorek67
    13 posts

@therealdaemon good news !

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts

@therealdaemon Fantastic news. Thanks for letting us know!

• zhead_
    31 posts

I really would like to see this issue listed on the known issues pinned thread.

• Zorek67
    13 posts

Known issue thread just got updated and guess what guys, NOTHING about AUDIO hahahah what a bunch of clowns.

• TheRealDaemon
    21 posts

This is honestly so frustrating. Some acknowledgement or an update would be nice. I've spent more time looking on these forums and reddit about this issue (hoping for an update) than I have actually playing the game on the Series X, because the sound is so bad.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts

@Ubi-Alien @Ubi-Baron @UBI-Froggard @Ubi-Gaidheal @Ubi-Ginge @Ubi-Heruhoss @Ubi-Kay @Ubi-Litten @Ubi-Mullac @Ubi-Pingu

Firstly, apologies for needing to do this. With respect, I am not sure which mods are actually active here, or if any of them are able to serve as a middle-person for relaying information to the community from the devs/managers etc. but since I've already tried to address one of them with no response, I'm making an extra effort by tagging several.

Since the problems with audio on AC Valhalla are among the top voted on this board, with countless corroborating complaints across more than one thread, and daily mentions on Reddit, can we receive some kind of official confirmation or update regarding the audio issues outlined here? Thank you!

As you can tell, we're anxious to hear something.

• PalpyIsBack
    4 posts

@captainstarpaw I think with the stuff that went down yesterday in Ubisoft Montreal (Valhalla's studio) we probably wont hear anything till the monda atleast.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts

@palpyisback Very good observation - Even though it was only a hoax, I am happy it was handled well and no one was hurt. We're living in strange times.

• WaTcHyOiZ
    1 posts

I had a audio problem so I changed from bitstream to pcm and it worked perfect sound.
    I hope this helps someone out there.

• VanixLH
    14 posts

@palpyisback Yeah, we should probably be mindful that the devs are most likely taking it easy and trying to recover from that scare. I'm really glad nothing worse happened, but a situation like that can be pretty traumatising and exhausting either way. I hope they respond to this as soon as they're able and address the issue at hand (which is still significant and inexcusable), but their physical and mental health comes first. I guess this is just a reminder to keep it civil and remember that those are humans in the dev team too. I saw some really disturbing responses to the situation on Friday and I don't think anyone deserves to receive messages like that.

• PalpyIsBack
    4 posts

@watchyoiz where exactly you changed that?

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts

@watchyoiz Just so people are not mistaken, this does not fix all sound issues. The low bitrate issue is inherent to the sound files provided on the disc/download.

@palpyisback He is referring to the sound options set within the console's settings menu. There is no such option available on the PC because the audio is automatically processed as PCM.

@raski0611Hah, yes I have also done the same. Deleted and validate the soundfiles folder hoping someone with the power of Odin fixed it behind the scenes 😆

@brad2707 A pleasure. Game audio is integral to the experience. I love games that I can put my headphones on and completely lose myself, without distraction. When I say distraction, I mean, without having to worry about fundamental audio problems. I didn't invest money in my sound system to receive this kind of kick in the teeth.

On the topic of how game audio is actually produced, the first process is Foley. Its origins are with film, but it is also used by the gaming industry. It is a very subjective and difficult job to execute with flair, but incredibly fun. It's also worth going on a YouTube binge watching all the hilarious videos demonstrating all the different approaches. You have post-processing to worry about, and then you have to mix it into the game so that it ties properly to the game engine.

A lot of sound engineers within the gaming industry now have scripting experience due to the complexity of integrating sound. E.g. FMOD Studio scripting. Foley can be very time consuming, so to cut corners/save money companies will re-use previously recorded assets or seek out pre-recorded sound libraries.

The aim of this thread is to encourage everyone to speak up against the sloppy integration and mixing of sound for this game. Sound is not an afterthought. This thread is for those of you who truly care about getting your money's worth, the full package, not just narrowingly focusing on gameplay and graphics. Ubisoft need to admit and fix the tragic audio problems within this game. I have also been trying my best to explain the technicalities and complexities of the problem as more and more people speak up.

• CaptainStarPaw
    Original poster 40 posts
    This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics