Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • 28 Likes/343 Replies/2273 Views
    JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

Where is the variety of equipments??
    I would like to return the random equipment system like Odyssey.
    I read somewhere that the argument would be to impact the player with unique items, but in Odyssey this already existed in the form of legendary sets. This does not justify removing random items!
    It seemed to me to be in a hurry to launch the game soon, without much work to model large quantities of sets.
    In Odyssey this was incredible, I loved collecting new looks, in addition to creating different builds according to the attributes of the items.
    Today in Valhalla it comes down to just a few pieces of equipment, and the need to grind resources to improve them (boring).
    I hope they bring back the variety of weapons and equipment for the game, which really causes a feeling of reward for defeating enemies, in addition to being good for the economy, as it was possible to sell these loots.
    And that guaranteed many hours and gameplay.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• SinfulDanTheMan
    57 posts

@jpabenites to each their own, but i disliked the random armor/weapon loots. anything procedural seems lazy to me. i much prefer more thought and effort going into the weapons and armor, with more levels of customization. but i'm not far enough into the campaign yet to see the full variety they offer. im assuming there will be many more items to choose from

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

@sinfuldantheman I agree with you.
    It's just that I miss the drop sets on enemies, the variety of skins, being able to change the look of each item, collecting them.
    As I mentioned, what is not procedural, would be the "legendary sets", really thought out.
    In other words, it doesn't have to be 100% procedural, but extra items are needed to colect, get skins, make builds and sell to get money (the player just win with this system)

today we kill thousands of enemies and don't get a different shield ... we don't even have a one-handed sword!!
    This is the reason for my request.

• SinfulDanTheMan
    57 posts

@jpabenites i understand. it does seem strange you can kill scores of enemies, and not use ANY of their weapon/armor. it really breaks the immersion

• SofaJockey
    169 posts

Odyssey (and other Ubisoft games) have been criticised for overdoing the 'loot chase'.

So I can understand why it's been dialled back.

I think the time period also fits well with a more limited weapon palate.

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

Yes!! And this game is focused in looting (vicking raids), no make sense!!!
    We plunded monasteries and remain poor!
    Its more profitable to fish (joke)

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

@sofajockey
    I understand you.
    But in this case it wouldn't even be a "loot chase", as drops would normally come just killing enemies, something that usually happens while playing missions.
    Its organic drop loot, just happens, and you get the visual, change your set or sell..
    Its diferente for example to kill the same boss many times to try a specific loot (boring too).

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

@sofajockey

And the period limited weapon its not a problem..
    Because if you kill a enemy using armors and weapons, it means that the loot exists in the world.
    For example, If you kill an archer, you can get a bow, because he was using the bow when died.

I really loved this game! its a great experience for me!
    I just miss the loot of the enemy..
    In this period, if you invades a castle, theoreticaly get all loots in the quarters like armos, shields, swords, axes, bows..

So, as @SinfulDanTheMan said, its really breaks the immersion.

• BogTheBuilder
    19 posts

@jpabenites I agree with you. Back in the day, when we had Action RPGs, like Mass Effect 2 and 3, AC1, AC2, AC2 Brotherhood etc., they were linear, cheaper and faster to do multiple runs through. Open world RPGs and MMORPGs, however, are built in a way to have their players continue playing for hundreds of hours last completion of the story quests and whatnot.

Odyssey did it okayish (Still not a fan of seeing epics and legendaries before the endgame), but the gear was done to an MMORPG standard. The procs are cool and there are builds to farm for. Key word: farm. What's to farm in Valhalla? It's a massive fk off game with tonnes to do but... there's one issue.

A total lack of structured loot. There are rarities, yeah, but they're garbage. Why the heck do we have access to mythical gear as early as level 5? Why?? Why do we have no commons, uncommons, rares, magics?

Let me reiterate: Valhalla has no room for real builds. The skill tree is not how you build a character in an MMORPG or open world RPG. The GEAR is how you build your character, because it's the gear that adds all of the stats to min/max and the endgame Raid/Dungeon lore based thematic LEGENDARIES that have the coolest aesthetics and procs that we dream of, and FARM for.

My use of capitalisation is for emphasis, by the way.

Now, Montreal screwed this up by implementing their "unique " gear, with the most mundane, booooring set bonuses. Half of the bonuses are supposed to be on weapons, not armour. Yet the 5 piece set bonuses are additional stats? That's not how it works my dudes. The 5 piece set bonus is supposed to be what makes your build work and what you work around. Something like consuming stacks to deal status ailments upon heavy hits or a chance to summon your lieutenant for 30 seconds upon critical hits.

Also, their excuse of crafting "unique gear" is lazy and uninspired. I don't mean it in a mean way, it's just an observation. There's nothing unique about any of the gear bonuses I have and have read about. They're all very boring and not what I'd even call unique. You find most of this gear in chests. If they were unique, would they not be acquired by way of lore specific quests (like Thor's armour), treasure hunts with maps, rumours from NPCs or found at the bottom of a lake or something Idfk.

I don't feel like the Huntsman gear set reflects its value from the way it's acquired. I didn't have ti hunt for anything, I just found it in chests. Laaaaaame.

Montreal, you need to talk to Quebec and redo the entire gear system from scratch. I just can't see myself replaying a $130 game that has nothing to farm for. If the Fenrir boss fight doesn't drop Fenrir themed gear with a 5 piece set that has a 5% chance to summon Fenrir for 60 seconds (once every 2 minutes), I'm done. This game is officially disappointing.

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

And to make matters worse, the little loot available is quite appealing, which further removes the immersion, disrespects the rarity system of RPG's and may shortens the late game.
    As well pointed out @BogTheBuilder in the post: https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/78510/gear-and-lack-thereof

• BogTheBuilder
    19 posts

@jpabenites I feel you on this too. Like, this is the 9th century. So where are the Anglo-Saxon armour and weapons? Where are the hlenca? Where are the coppergate helms? We're not even wearing Germanic armour. The Raven clan stuff, sure, but what about the mail or the cloth and leather armour?

There is no variety in the gear. There's no historical accuracy in this gear.

Montreal could have innovated on top of Odyssey, made their gear system better but they downgraded it for no reason.

Booooooring.

• Netspook
    261 posts

@sofajockey
    Funny.

In Breakpoint it's raining gear left and right. And according to you, there is absolutely nothing wrong at all with that game, you've attacked absolutely every types of criticism. And now, when Ubi limits gear drops, it's suddenly understandable?

How much is Ubi paying you?

• BogTheBuilder
    19 posts

@netspook That's a good point too. In real warfare, no one is stupid enough to strip down their kills to take their pants, but we can anyway. GR Breakpoint is, hence, a looter shooter yes? Like The Division 1 and 2, Destiny 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1.

But this loot chaser Sofajockey speaks of.... Quebec were not denying that Odyssey would be an RPG, a looter of sorts. So why try to push credence on something that's a fallacy? It's like complaining about jump scares in a horror film, a review that's written by someone who only watches romance films. Of course they're going to moan about something they don't enjoy in games they don't usually play.

For RPG and MMORPG fans, Odyssey is a fine game that deserves its praise. Valhalla is a far cry from that bar. They actually lowered it, when no one even asked them to.

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

As the game was released yesterday, there is still time to implement this system within the game, transforming these actual powerfull sets like as the well-known legendaries in Odyssey.
    However, either way the question of rarity raised by @BogTheBuilder has already brought damage to the game... đŸ˜¢

• martygod12
    237 posts

Well, I personally dont mind finding gear in wealth chest around map, but I agree that that should be at least ocassionally some common gear dropped by enemies. What I am most concerned about is that there will be a lack of gear variety in the game. You know most gear tied to a wealth of the regions in chests, but 2/3 of the region wealth is not gear related. Maybe you get some for doing mysteries and main quests I dont know. The fact that there are no 1H swords in the game and almost no anglo-saxon gear is troubeling me. I am also concerned that there will be not much of replayability and endgame becuase of that.

Also I am concerned if there will be enough content since there are basically no side quests.

ALSO WE NEED TRANSMOG BACK ASAP PLEASE!!!!!

• BogTheBuilder
    19 posts

@martygod12 What concerns me the most is the lack of anything to farm for. I have no real reason to hunt down and kill the Zealots cuz they don't drop cool [censored]. There are no monster uniques, no world boss drops, nothing.

Why the heck, then, would I purchase a $130 game that I'm only gonna play once? Dare I call this a cash grab?? Give me a reason, Montreal, to spend hundreds of hours in this game as I have in TES Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim, WoW, AC Odyssey, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, literally any open world RPG that has gear drops.

Give me a reason to care about playing this game past the story. I need one, Montreal, I spent too much money on this thing to abandon it for better games like TD2, or even returning to Odyssey.

And, as I stated a few times, we need to see some historical accuracy here. Vikings were too poor to craft anything with metals so they mostly stole it all. What are we stealing, Montreal? I don't see any Anglo-Saxon armour and weapons in my inventory. In fact, I see [censored] I can't even rid myself of.

You need to re-evaluate your gear system, friends. Cuz it is lacking

P.S.

To clarify, I can only loot placed weapons and armour. There are no rescanning chests with anything new in the (obviously non-existent) loot pool. So, as for Anglo-Saxon armour and weapons to loot, it's all unimpressive named gear with lame perks on them. Increase damage after every light hit (up to 6 times)? 6 times? What happens after the sixth hit then? Does it reset? How long until I can start stacking it again?

God, Montreal, fix your gear

• Netspook
    261 posts

@bogthebuilder
    My point is that this guy (sofajockey) defends EVERYTHING Ubi does. Found a gamebreaking bug? That's YOUR fault, Ubi cannot be blamed, they are sacred and above us all. That's the way he comments. Just check the Breakpoint forums for hundreds of examples.

• BogTheBuilder
    19 posts

@netspook Aye, I know the type. Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but to defend objective issues is a wasted endeavor. There are undeniable issues with Valhalla, from random crashes to internet connectivity issues (yet you can play it offline so why is this even a problem?). There's nothing to defend here. For example, why am I still seeing the gods annoying issue that plagued AC2 (jumping onto a platform Eivor was never aimed at, for instance)? Why is the stealth system so fatally flawed? Why can't my horse jump off a 1 metre ledge, but it is fine jumping off a 100 metre cliff?

Valhalla is not perfect and the more I play, the worse it gets. It is fatally flawed and it saddens me. I love Ubisoft Montreal. They're the genius minds who began this franchise, but they really dropped the ball hard with this one.

• JPABenites
    Original poster 95 posts

We are only fans of the franchise and our intention is to make constructive criticisms.
    To Ubisoft makes improvements that games become more and more incredible!!
    Not just accept all decisions of the Ubisoft, but contribute to improve the games!
    There will always be mistakes and successes when developing a game.
    However, only our feedback can help walk the path.
    Of course, there are different opinions for everything, but it would be nice if the Ubi reconsider implementing this system, which brought greater immersion in Odyssey to Valhalla
    I really hope Ubisoft will read our comments and consider that.

• BogTheBuilder
    19 posts

@jpabenites Aye. I do sometimes come across as bashful or rude, but that's not my intention.

One more thing that's weird about this "unique gear", is that it implies that whatever Eivor wears only exists in one set ever made. Does that mean that nobody else can wear the furs that he wears? Or the weird iron helmet with leather padding? Yet there seems to be no issues with standard armour procurement for the NPCs we fight. They all wear the same stuff. Why can't we take that stuff? Furthermore, I thought wearing bearskins was a Roman thing?

I just don't understand what's going on here. If Montreal wanted to make an action RPG like the older AC games, why did they throw stats and gear set bonuses onto their aesthetic gear? Why did they make their game world so large?? Why are there leveled zones??? Bruh

Look, if you're gonna use MMORPG mechanics then use all of them. Don't half [censored] it otherwise you get criticisms like this and it just isn't fun to read, because nobody wants to see their hard work being put under the scope of negative analysis.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics