Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheGrimReeferzz
    Original poster 44 posts

I love the game don't get me wrong , I honestly love anything to do with Vikings so this game was a instant buy for me , that being said I'm so disappointed with how terrible the combat is .

You can deal with the normal enemies so easy by just spamming light attack untill they are dead . The finishing moves are boring to watch and there isn't enough of them . One thing about the finishing moves that o hate is that most of them if not all of them are done with the enemies weapons , why can't I execute them with my own cool weapons ?

The boss fights are the most boring boss fights I have ever played in a hack and slash type of game . The boss charges you , you dodge , attack and repeat .

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if the wasn't based on Vikings but the fact that Vikings were these skilled warriors and the game is heavily combat focus it's just so underwhelming .

Like I said I love the game but the combat is ruining it for me , the combat feels like like playing a 10 year old game . Put in the combat from "Ryse son of Rome " with the same execution mechanics and it will be the best hack and slash iv played

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Gravelmead
    62 posts

@thegrimreeferzz Combat was one of the most important things they had to get right especially with it taking up 90% of the game, but as far as I'm concerned they failed completely. The combat isn't even mildly interesting, so much so that I am avoiding it, letting my team get on with it while I go off looting, only participating when I really have to and then all I do is spam the mouse button while reading a book.
    They really need to go back to the drawing board with the combat, it's dull, it's boring.

• TheGrimReeferzz
    Original poster 44 posts

@gravelmead yeah I totally agree mate . I would love if they completely reworked the combat but from there track record they won't listen .

I have played so meny ubisoft titles that players have constantly moaned about certain mechanics from day one that are in need of changing and meny years down the line nothing has been changed .

This is the combat and I guess we just got to put up with it . They did mention in the road map that more abilities for combat was coming in future so I'm hoping for some changes in combat as well but I'm not holding my breath

• Pandaplays709
    1 posts

Can we get a gift the game thing for the holidays I want to get it for my PC but I physical copies haven't been a thing in forever so ya can we get a digital gifting thing #wekang

• fallenazael
    1 posts

I find the game as a whole boring.

Go to new place, meet with character you don't care about , jump through hoops for them in mindless missions then raid a castle (which I find mind-numbingly boring). Go to new location to start the grind all over again.
    Side quests are pointless. [censored] does rock stacking have to do with vikings?

I'm 40+ hours in and I cannot play it any more.

• ImaginaryRuins
    418 posts

@fallenazael

1. go to new places
    2. meeting NPCs doing quests for them
    3. clearing dungeons / mission areas
    4. grinding for XP or items

You just described nearly all RPGs, including the critically acclaimed Final Fantasy and even the Witcher series. Of course, whether quests are "pointless" are completely to each one's own preference.

In your case perhaps you should play games of other genres.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@fallenazael I fully agree with what @ImaginaryRuins has already said, but I agree with you that the castle sieges/raids do not live up to their potential. The first time I really fought my way through, but soon I realized that the only thing Eivor has to do is open a gate and let down a bridge, and then rush to the final confrontation. That took some of the fun away, even though I know I can do all the fighting I want.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@thegrimreeferzz

combat in Odyssey was way more fun for sure as were the finishers, at a certain point u have seen them all in valhalla and they take crazy long which is annoying.

This game isnt combat focused at all, enemies are few and far apart, which was a problem in Odyssey as well. Playing on hardest setting and would love if they would have added more enemies in higher numbers all across the place.
    To be honest the game in its entirety is more of a puzzle game, seeing how all chests are locked behind puzzles and most worldevents are in fact puzzles too.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@hroozenbeek

castle sieges are boring AF!
    There is no point in fighting enemies, all u need to do is open the next gate etc and then the assault is over

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@asgardian02 I hope my English is understandable, because that is precisely what I was trying to say.

• fugazi009
    1 posts

dude im playing hardest difficulty and its easy, but there are somepeople who are trying to make a new combat difficulty

• pesto.
    181 posts

I sort of agree, but also sort of don’t. I think it could be a lot better, but it is better than Odyssey in that it feels much less floaty.

I think Ubisoft haven’t mastered brawl combat yet. For Honor also had a disconnected feeling. TBH there’s really only one master in this arena and it’s God of War, even games like Nioh, Ghost of Tsushima and the Dark Souls games just can’t match it’s feeling of precision, weight and power. Even when it gets arcadey it’s still feels like you are in control at all times and that every hit connects and feels strong?

I also think they need to improve Assassination and stealth right now. The being “Batman” bits. It’s dull and repetitive and there’s no real means to utilize the environment beyond climb and jump down. No creativity there. Look at the Hitman series or even the Batman games and they give you so much more, yet this game is literally called “assassins creed” you play as an assassin but spend more time at the office doing paperwork for that side than actually assassination.

For combat what I would want to see is :

1. A closer camera still.
    2. Critical points on enemies bodies in close quarters not just ranged and the precision to be able to target those hit spots.
    3. Then I want the hits to feel like they connect,
    4. And if I hit someone’s leg it should slow them down.
    5. Better AI, if a certain attack fails then don’t keep repeating it, try something else. E.g. if they see I can catch an arrow and fire it back then that should become less popular a choice unless they see a chink in my armor e.g. I’m dealing with many other enemies. Also if I’m turning their mates into bombs they shouldn’t just keep running at me again and again ignoring the bodies and getting blown up again and again, especially if they see me tagging a body, they should try to avoid it if it’s in their line of sight and have a generalized notion of where to avoid if they’ve seen one and have their back to it. It should change their path towards me. I should have to get craftier the longer I’m in battle.
    6. More enemies attacking at once. In older AC games you could get overwhelmed and have to escape, I never feel this in the modern series even when I’m in battle. That forces you to think strategically, there’s more than two outcomes for a fight.
    7. Reinforcements. I should have reputation in an area, if I’ve been spotted in a town killing people before then I should be instantly recognized regardless of my hold. If I clear out a fort then next time I get there it should have more or tougher guards.
    8. Ranged combat should be improved, it feels like the arrows frequently fly right through enemies, and at other times they suddenly veer off course at the last minute to hit them. (Not to mention all the bugs with direction and gimbal locking there, arrows flying sideways etc).
    9. Ragdolling and physics collisions on joints should be involved more and less dependence on pre-animated movements. It’s really jarring when people animate through obstacles and walls during an attack.
    10. There should be a separate arcade and hardcore control mode. Arcade can be as now. But hardcore should offer things like stances, require precise attacks and have your armor and it’s design really matter (weight, weaknesses to certain weapons, gaps), as it did more in Ghost of Tsushima.
    11. You should have more attack options, you have a hidden blade but don’t really use it. Knights had daggers as well as swords and shields for closer combat or to get an edge.
    12. Special attacks should change from how they are now. At the moment you select them using a combo, but it feels clunky and limits you to really only 4 at once which becomes repetitive. I’d rather these were either contextual finishers, e.g. if you’re close to an edge it might use the spartan kick etc, or they required a more in depth combo to reach but gave us access to all the attacks with enough skill (and the more devastating and abusable ones requiring more skill to complete).
  • ADarklore
    175 posts
    I love the game don't get me wrong , I honestly love anything to do with Vikings so this game was a instant buy for me , that being said I'm so disappointed with how terrible the combat is .

You can deal with the normal enemies so easy by just spamming light attack untill they are dead . The finishing moves are boring to watch and there isn't enough of them . One thing about the finishing moves that o hate is that most of them if not all of them are done with the enemies weapons , why can't I execute them with my own cool weapons ?

The boss fights are the most boring boss fights I have ever played in a hack and slash type of game . The boss charges you , you dodge , attack and repeat .

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if the wasn't based on Vikings but the fact that Vikings were these skilled warriors and the game is heavily combat focus it's just so underwhelming .

Like I said I love the game but the combat is ruining it for me , the combat feels like like playing a 10 year old game . Put in the combat from "Ryse son of Rome " with the same execution mechanics and it will be the best hack and slash iv played

I'm not sure where you get that Vikings were "skilled warriors" when they, in fact, were not. They were farmers with shields, axes and hammers who attacked only places that were not defended or lightly defended and fled when opposed by any type of organized force. In fact, almost every time they came against an organized army, they lost. They were farmers who chose to go raiding pure and simple, not an organized, trained army. In fact, very few of them even had swords because they were too expensive, which is probably why UBI didn't include short swords in the initial launch. The main weapons used by Vikings were shields and axes or hammers, items that farmers would have readily available for everyday chores. So in reality, Valhalla was even stated to be a 'fantasy' Viking game, and that it is. Many many aspects of this game are not historically accurate... castles exist that didn't exist during viking times, buildings that were not built until long after vikings were Christianized, portrayals of druids as murderers and dark magic users, the list of historical inaccuracies goes on and on. So I guess it would be more accurate to say this game is based on the "myth" of the vikings and not so much the reality of what REAL vikings were like. After all, those who wrote about the vikings had to make them seem a lot worse than they were to explain why they were so successful... but the real "terror" that the vikings brought weren't for their military prowess but for their ability to show up in an instant, raid, and be gone before an army could reach them.

• DV20Katana
    115 posts

@fallenazael
    This is how I felt about Odyssey. Just couldn't do it anymore.

I dont own Valhalla yet and didn't wanna get it in case it was just more of the same.

Suggested Topics