Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• GothicEnigma
    Original poster 29 posts

I want to first say, that the idea of World Events is very good. Far cry better than Odyssey's "spam a ton of RNG side quests that mean nothing" at the player.

The reasoning for World Events was sound. To break away from the typical "side quests" that games had, and allow you to stumble upon and enjoy a more story driven situation, one which would allow for a more intricate story and hopefully one that was more immersive than "go fetch or kill this gg".

Good idea.. horrible execution..

What we got instead was your run of the mill side quests, which not only felt cheap and short, but frustrating at times, as you're expected to stumble through them with nearly zero guidance and no icons.

--------------

Most of them are insanely easy though, and short.. and the answer is just 2 steps to the left, and talk to another NPC, do the 1 little thing they request, and done..

Some of them give almost no guidance, and you have to stumble your way through it (like the gas house world event). All you're told is the father won't shower, and the house is a gas trap.. That's it.. I've done everything I can think of. I've burned away all the gas with torches.. There's no NPC inside. I've looted everything inside. I can't read the note due to the gas, and it returns so quickly after burning it all away.. No idea [censored] to do...

-------------------------

I think for the next Assassins Creed (You know there will be one). Ubisoft needs to focus more on Witcher 3 style of quests, as they generally are extremely good at both world building, and being their own mini stories in many cases. Exactly what Ubisoft said World Events were supposed to be. (Yes there are alot of side quests in Witcher 3 that were also fetch quests or small quests, but that's besides the point).

An example is one of the quests which results in Geralt going to a haunted mansion. The quest see's the player going onto the haunted grounds, finding a way in, and learning of the history of the mansion, and the ghoul or ghost which now haunts it. This side quest results in you going around adn talking to a few NPCs prior to going to the mansion, and once inside, going through a small maze of finding your way through it, to eventually dealing with the haunt.

The quest was a mini story, much like the World Events were supposed to be. It told me intricate information of the grounds the mansion is on, the mansion itself, and the tragic story of the family which lived there. It allowed me to get more immersed with the world, and situation itself, both with the quest, and geralts plight as a Witcher.

This is really how I thought World Events were supposed to be, World building, character building, and immersive.
    ----------------------------

There are problems with them right now though that I think need to be fixed.

1) You can't talk to the NPCs again. This is a problem I have with the gas house. I talked to the boy, then something came up and I had to leave it for a few hours. Come back, and I can't talk to anybody.. Might be why I'm struggling with it, as I forgot something important, but.. no way to really move on and its not worht the time and effort.

2) This isn't a problem with the World Events themselves, but sometimes the audio breaks, or skips. (Playing on the PS4). This can, and has for me, caused me to miss crucial information. Such as the Nudist camp, talking to the initial NPC which tells you where they stashed the clothes. The part where she is supposed to tell me, didn't trigger properly, there was no audio, and it quickly skipped that portion of it.

Both of these quests I had look up online how to complete, because in both situations I was not given the information I needed, and had to get pulled out of the game to look something up, which should never happen.

Again, I don't care about not having Icons. (I'm an old school gamer, who prefers no icons), but you need to have something there to allow a player to get the information again if need be.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• marcx666
    4 posts

The gas house, theres crates on the floor which you need to take outside, they are the cause of the stench.

• dogtix2
    1 posts

I tend to agree. Sounded like a nice idea, I'm happy that side quests don't hand-hold you through them, but not to provide ANY tracking information to log what events you have in progress? That's idiotic.

Combined with an engine that looks worse than Odyssey, but runs about a third slower... I'm really not feeling the love for Valhalla.

Suggested Topics