Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • SpektrumGG
    Original poster 3 posts

So! Valhalla finally got released, i really enjoy the game itself. There are a couple bugs here and there that i have encountered myself but nothing too major EXCEPT the audio.

Holy... there is something completely off with the audio, it's sounds like you could capture the sound from a song with your phone and then use that as the official release.

This is a issue a lot of people seem to have. Me personally i am able to look past it for now, but it just takes a lot of things away from the game.

What bothers me the most is that it isn't addressed in the "Known Issue" post.. why is that?

Sources of others reporting the same things:

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ACValhalla/comments/jrcxn8/odd_ac_valhalla_audio/

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ACValhalla/comments/js3hw1/pc_audio_producer_hobbyist_here_what_on_earth/

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ACValhalla/comments/jrrev5/to_other_pc_users_is_the_audio_really_bad_for_you/

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/794ldq/audio_quality_is_so_bad/

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ACValhalla/comments/jrlep5/issue_with_the_quality_of_the_sound/

Ubi Forum: https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/78569/pc-low-bitrate-audio-improperly-balanced-audio-dynamics-sounds-cutting-in-and-out?lang=en-US

Could we get a statement or update on this soon?

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• bakester413
    2 posts

I have a high quality audio setup. I've not had problems like this with any game before, not even other AC titles, but the audio seems INCREDIBLY compressed. Not like "gotta save space" compressed. Like "playing with your ears connected to soda cans"

I've tinkered with various audio options, the settings, etc. But it really does seem to be just incredibly compressed. The attacks have no weight to them because your attack hit sounds are like hitting thin air. The movement lacks depth and distant sounds are hard to hear. Everything is muffled.

I encountered a reddit post where numerous people were saying "Thank God it's not just me" so I know I'm not alone, but is this a bug? Anyone else having this issue? Or is anyone not having it?

Also, does anyone know if devs are aware? I hope for a quick response, it's honestly hard to play with this audio quality.

• Sigtyro
    1 posts

Same here, just started the game and it sounds very strange and compressed, like a small echo all the time. And like you said, the fighting has no weight to it. Very hard to play with this.

• Lionman9419
    3 posts

@bakester413 I've had a problem with dialogue sound, sound for everything else but dialogue

• Tadiian
    16 posts

Yeah that is a problem. It's not even the quality of some of the dialog that bothers me but the sound mixing itself seems off.

Eivors dialog is sooo loud. The footsteps sound like they are right next to my ear but also muffled. Combat sounds, are they even there? Not sure.

• Saku_77
    8 posts

same here game runs well but this almost makes wanna quit playing until they fix it

• zhead_
    31 posts

Same issue with me. It is really annoying

• zhead_
    31 posts

Same problem with me. Dialogs in the open sound like they are in the bathroom

• VanixLH
    14 posts

As mentioned in some other posts, the audio quality in this game is some of the worst I have heard in a very long time. All audio sounds overly compressed, dialogue in particular is flat with no lows or mids. Levels and mixing are all over the place with some sounds being ear piercingly loud (like the air assassination noise) and some barely audible.There's definitely something wrong with your audio files, whether it's compression or just the general audio design. I hope someone will be looking into this asap, this is not really acceptable quality for a full priced game.

I also experience the same thing, audio sounds like it's been super compressed. There's no mids or lows, audio levels are all over the place, many sounds are far too high pitched and too loud (like the air assassination noise for example) dialogue in particular sounds terrible. Like it's a very low bitrate. Even the original AC in 2007 had better audio though you could still hear the compression then, but this is much worse. I sincerely hope there's a fix on the way as it's very distracting and not pleasant..

• VanixLH
    14 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • SoulBrotherNr3
    17 posts

@vanixlh i stopped using headphones because it's so bad, the constant weird whispering when there are more people in the cutscene makes me feel like i'm schizophrenic

• Moon-Pye
    12 posts

@vanixlh There is literally an option in the sound menu to overly compress all the audio for people who have to play quietly. You can turn it off.

• VanixLH
    14 posts

@moon-pye My settings are fine, this is an issue with the game in general and none of the settings make it any better. I went through the full audio range settings, dialogue boost, etc, nothing improves audio quality.

• xrayspex_73
    139 posts

@vanixlh

Exactly. The issue is the game and no amount of messing with the audio settings fixes it. They need to address this. Where is Ubi?

• zhead_
    31 posts

this is true for a lot of people. You might also notice its sounds like everything is in a bean can. It's really bad

• DoctorMcBatman
    4 posts

I'll start by saying it's mostly the environmental/ambient audio that is terrible. The voice audio is OK.

With that out of the way, the overall audio experience in ACV is genuinely horrible. This is the worst overall audio I've heard in any AAA game. I don't know if it's due to file compression, recording methods, mixing/mastering, or something else, but it sounds so thin and cold, void of musicality. Hopefully, if it is file compression, maybe they will release an optional HQ audio pack that isn't so ineptly compressed? We'd have to raise awareness though. So if you feel the same, please make posts and upvote posts.

Honestly, this level of audio degradation is unacceptable at the AAA level. It feels like incompetence, as this should have been caught. As someone who records a fair bit of audio, I like to do what a lot of people call the "car" or "computer" test. That is, after mixing your audio on your high quality studio monitors, you burn it to a disc and check it on regular ol' speakers that 99% of people will be using. If it doesn't sound good there, it needs more work. It feels like the ACV audio designers did not do this. Because I can't imagine any audio engineer would hear this audio and think it's passable.
    This is my biggest grievance with the game (though there are others), and frankly, it's unacceptable.

(PS: Ubi's new forums are garbage. I can't believe it, but they're worse than the old forums! lol I can't believe UI/UX designers thought this design was good... I'm picking a lot of bones with Ubi staff today, but honestly, they deserve it - this is a huge AAA company and they charge huge AAA prices for their [censored])

• CaptainStarPaw
    41 posts

Update @ 11:54AM CST 11/11/2020: I extracted the audio files using Wwise-unpacker and discovered that the audio quality is a lot worse than I previously anticipated. SFX is saved at a 24000 Hz sample rate, with a variable bitrate that seems to peak at around 70 kbps. Looking at the Frequency Analysis tab, you can clearly observe a frequency rolloff at around 11000 Hz. Standard CD audio is at 44100 Hz (DVD standard is 48000 Hz), and that is the sample rate that nearly every sound device and operating system is designed to work with.

Here is a screenshot of my analysis

• xrayspex_73
    139 posts

@captainstarpaw

OMG that is like what MP3's sounded like in the 90's.

• zhead_
    31 posts

@captainstarpaw Pretty cool finding. This explains a lot. I guess there is no workaround that we can use for now

• PierreAngelique
    18 posts

@doctormcbatman

Yes I totally agree. I actually refunded the game on PC and am going to wait until they patch the game and address this particular issue (assuming that they do). The audio was really strange and compressed sounding, at least while using headphones. Its hard to say what is wrong with it exactly but it is not AAA level.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics