Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • CaptainStarPaw
    40 posts

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US. Just so everyone is aware, the newest 1.0.4 patch does not touch the existing audio files. It does however add a very small 93.1 KB file: sounds_sfx_tu_2.pck to the sounddata folder. Sadly the existing audio problems still remain. We'll need to wait until Ubisoft address this properly, either with a future patch or a DLC.

I am thankful that the devs do appear to be very busy fixing gameplay and visual related issues. There are still quest related gamebreaking bugs that remain, so I suspect we will see another patch next month.

• revengefire
    9 posts

@captainstarpaw

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Customer Support. I apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.

Our development team is still investigating this issue that you are experiencing. Thank you for your patience during this time.

Kind Regards,
    Ubi-Stout
    Ubisoft Customer Support

• Raski0611
    106 posts

@revengefire

I dont know if this Post is valid, but if so could you please give some more information.

How Ubisoft look into the issue, how they rate it?

Yes, there is something wrong mixed up(using the wrong Bitrate Audiofiles)?

No, nothing wrong with the Audiofiles, some Hardware/Software Just modulate the sound wrong?

• aeriththecetra
    1 posts

Unfortunately I can't focus on the other aspects of the game because of the extremely poor audio quality. Very muffled combat and dialogue, indeed sounds very compressed. I'm normally not bothered by less than perfect audio but this is egregious.

Unfortunately I might need to return if its not fixed soon as I can't enjoy the game at all as it's far too distracting, especially coming from other PS5 games with sufficiently high quality sound.

• TheRealDaemon
    21 posts

I've DM'd twitter support twice, but was completely ignored both times on this issue.

Definitely get your refund if you can guys, especially if they're advertising high quality sound as @lizzared said. Surely that's a bit of false advertising then? Where did they say that?

• Sbaastien
    4 posts

I've pre-ordered the game and asked a refund for this reason.. I will re-buy it when it will be fixed, If it's fixed one day..

• joshwalla
    2 posts

@zealotq I agree. I was playing the title and when away from the computer I listened to a song from the FLAC (24-bit, HD) edition of the soundtrack that I'm particularly keen on, and I feel like a title with such a brilliantly composed score and emotive story could handle an extra gigabyte or 2 of hard disk capacity. I play with B&W speakers and a Rotel integrated amplifier, so I'm probably accustomed to a little more than Valhalla is providing, from a sonic perspective…but it sounds like it's been through an MP3 compressor at 96k. Awfully expensive title to be lacking in such a critical area.

• Raski0611
    106 posts

Fix the Sound!
    A little bit damage limitation to restore some reputation would more importent then working on dlcs, dlcs, i and many other wont buy because maingame unplayable
    The Audioqualität is so ridiculous bad like the face animations from mass effect Andromeda after release.

• ghostfarm
    2 posts

@captainstarpaw

Bought the game yesterday and I noticed something was wrong with the audio immediately in the opening sequence. At first I tried troubleshooting my audio setup and game settings but then googled it if anyone else had had the same issues. So pretty glad I found this and the reddit post quite fast so I did't have to waste any more time troubleshooting.

I'm also using Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO headphones with dac and amp and the game audio is so bad I just can't deal with it. I've already sent refund request with "bad quality" reason. I might come back if this gets fixed but then again Cyberpunk 2077 is just around the corner.

It goes to show that people notice these things differently because a friend of mine recommended Valhalla for me and when I commented about this issue, he had not noticed, at least on xbox series s.

I'm just utterly baffled how this went through in the production. Quality audio is such an important part of the experience.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 713 posts

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd like to apologise that we have not posted a reply in this thread until now. We at Ubisoft Support have been listening to your feedback regarding the overall sound quality of Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and have passed forward several links, videos and analyses of the game's audio provided in this thread, other threads and support cases to the developers already. This is a topic that has gained a fair amount of traction, and I'd like to reassure you first and foremost that it is not being ignored. It is sad to hear that so many of you find the experience of the game unpleasant due to this, and we'll do everything we can to look into this with you and see these issues investigated formally.

After reading through the whole thread, there are several further comments and video links not yet recorded that I'll be passing to the developers. At this time, I would also like to ask for some further, specific information as requested by the developers themselves in order for them to better-investigate these reports we've been receiving, and isolate the issues and their causes. What they have asked for is a brief breakdown of the issues you're experiencing, your set-up, and any evidence of the issues you can provide, in the following format:

• Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?
    • What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)
    • What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?
    • What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?
    • A video demonstrating the issues you are experiencing.

I saw a few pages back that nonAx85 provided a detailed write-up of their experiences including the above information; even though through troubleshooting they determined it may be a local issue, it is still worth investigation to make 100% sure, so I'll be passing that forward immediately (thank you!). If others in this thread could provide the details above in brief, in that exact format, we can hopefully start to nail down these issues and see what we can do about them.

I appreciate that this update may not be what you were all hoping for, as we're still very much in the investigative stages - but please rest assured that the developers are listening, and have been reading what you all have to say. Thank you all for your time and efforts so far, and thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer the questions above and help us with the investigation. 🙂

Official Response
  • CaptainStarPaw
    40 posts

@ubi-woofer Thanks for the official response.

Kindly urging yourself and your team to refer to this deep dive technical thread I created on Reddit several days ago, which has since received 6.9k upvotes and 25 awards, providing a theoretical analysis of the low bitrate problem Analysis: Assassin's Creed highlights a very concerning trend regarding how game audio is being poorly handled.

If you scroll down to the section marked "Analysis" and continue to read there, that is where the breakdown of the issue begins.

To answer your bulleted questions:

• I started playing before patch 1.0.4 was released
    • PC
    • Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO Headphones, Mackie MR624 6.5" Powered Studio Monitors using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 sound device
    • Stereo

Hopefully the exaustive amount of time I have spent on writing this thread will help to reduce the amount of investigation work required your end.

Best regards.

• Raski0611
    106 posts

@captainstarpaw

Thank you for your effort, you make science seksy again✊

• CaptainStarPaw
    40 posts

@alonelywanderer At first I turned everything else down and left the music at 100% which helped a bit, but the quality is still extremely poor. I do the same as you pretty much. Except I have a custom playlist with all my favourite tracks since AC:II 😅

• CaptainStarPaw
    40 posts

@raski0611 Thanks raski, I am overjoyed that ubi are finally here with us and have acknowledge the issue. Definitely a great step forwards.

• TheRealDaemon
    21 posts

I started playing a day after release, and also tried playing after the latest patch. Had to stop both times as the audio sounds muffled or tinny, as if it was heavily compressed.

• What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)

Xbox Series X.

• What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?

Using a wireless headset, Astro A50. Optical from Astro base station is connected to my TV's optical output, as the new consoles don't have an optical out. I've also tried using the TV speakers but the poor quality audio was still noticeable.

Tried the following settings on Xbox: stereo uncompressed, and bitstream out > Dolby Digital, issue persists on both. Other games sound fine. Also tried Dolby Atmos for headphones and Windows Sonic, but I do not like how they sound compared to Dolby Digital on the Astro's.

Almost every sound in the game sounds like it is affected. The sound is not coming through clearly as it did in Odyssey for example. I am reinstalling Odyssey right now to compare, but this affects walking on snow, swinging weapons, combat sounds, ambient sounds, dialogue, and music. Wouldn't really know what to record as its the whole game.

I am also going to try using some sennheisers and sony headphones once Odyssey is installed and compare them all.

• CaptainStarPaw
    40 posts

@ubi-woofer Thank you, and it would be a pleasure.

• Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
    • RAM: G Skill TridentZ DDR3-3200 16 GB
    • GFX Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 HYBRID
    • Sound: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB sound device
    • Speakers: Mackie MR624 6.5" Powered Studio Monitors
    • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO Headphones
    • NVIDIA Driver: 457.30

Running on a totally clean system.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 713 posts

@TheRealDaemon Cheers for these answers, they've been submitted to the developers now!

@CaptainStarPaw Thank you very much 🙂 I've amended my message to the developers to include your specs so now they should have the full information they need from yourself, in addition to your write-ups. If I hear anything in response I'll update the thread again.

To everyone - I will continue to pass on your submissions in answer to the questions I posted previously, but may not reply to acknowledge each and every one. I'll check back in as regularly as I can to update you on our investigation and acknowledge submissions however.

Official Response
  • Sbaastien
    4 posts

@ubi-woofer

I have played on first release and after each patch.

Playstation 5

I’m using an Artics 7P from steelSeries, but I had the same issue with my wired headset HyperX Cloud Alpha. I didn’t try with the TV or my soundbar.

On the PS5 audio config, I tried with and without 3D audio, Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) and Bitstream (DTS).

I stopped playing at the first mission of the game, all sounds were bad like described in the topic (Like a bad MP3)

• ghostfarm
    2 posts

@ubi-woofer

Started playing 30.11.2020 (version 1.0.4) downloaded from Ubisoft Connect.

PC specs:

• Mobo: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @4,6GHz
    • RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
    • GFX Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
    • Sound: Stereo from VoiceMeeter Potato -> ASIO driver for Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus + S.M.S.L SP200
    • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO and Philips SHP9500 Headphones
    • Speakers: Logitech Z623
    • NVIDIA Driver: 456.38

Can't record gameplay.

• Currywurst120
    6 posts

Did you start to play Valhalla before the initial game updates were released?

• Started playing with Patch 1.03 (After Patch 1.04 same audio issues) I upgraded from the PS4 Disk Edition to the PS5 Digital Version

What is your platform, and if on PC, what are your system specs? (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.)

• Playstation 5

What is your audio set-up? Are you using a headset (wired or wireless?), a speaker system, a surround sound system, etc.?

• Sony Platinum Wireless Headset (3D Sound)

What audio output is in use? 7.1, 5.1, Surround, Stereo?

• Settings do not make difference

A video demonstrating the issues you are experiencing:

• All videos here representing the audio issue [Can not play this great story game with these horrible sound issues 😞 ]

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics