Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• 1 Likes/2 Replies/395 Views
    ValtyrNine
    Original poster 88 posts

There are a few bosses in this game that seriously highlight either a lack of polish, lack of understanding in design, or most likely both (The Builder is another example).

I've beaten almost every boss in the game on Very Hard, including the daughters of Lerion, The Builder, the drengr, etc. The only boss that I got so annoyed by the stupidity of was that I had to turn the difficulty down just to get it over with was Beast of the Hills.

The mechanics are extremely simple: stay behind it and don't get hit.

Except the fight is absolutely broken in a variety of ways. The bear's hitbox is inaccurate to the point that you can be standing behind it and get hit by the charge forward going in the opposite direction of where you're standing. Multiple of its attacks can hit you when you are standing directly behind it and barely within melee range. The attack that has the worst hitbox is also the attack that does the most damage, and will one-shot you from full HP on Very Hard (at least being at 130-140 power).

The boss can heal itself for 1/3rd of its health (possibly more?) by drinking the wine in the room, which is extremely stupid for a variety of mechanical and meta-related reasons. I've noticed a running theme with idiotic jokes and poor grammar throughout the game as if no one proofread any of it (there's a loading screen tip that says you can change your "Raven visual", we have an English word for this... it's "appearance") and I have a feeling this "healing by getting drunk" mechanic is another stupid joke. You cannot cancel this heal. You can beat on it with heavy or light attacks, whatever you want, it will just heal itself up. This artificially extends a fight where the boss already has a relatively huge amount of health and can potentially one-shot you if you don't have specific skills.

Even something so incredibly simple turns into a total mess because of the sloppy and inaccurate combat mechanics. I killed Cordelia at only level 80 without getting hit once, but a stupid drunk bear will one-shot me when I'm standing behind it and it lunges forward. The difficulty is the poor design and artificial health bloat, which isn't fun or interesting in the slightest.

Some post-release tuning seriously needs to be made for a lot of the bosses. A boss fight isn't supposed to make you feel like you're fighting against glitches or bad design, which unfortunately a lot of the bosses in the game do.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• RaoulMim
    1 posts

@valtyrnine
    I completely agree with you on every aspect.
    I've noticed this problem in past games (those being Origins and Odyssey, with Odyssey being the worse offender as usual).
    The Devs just don't get animal fights. They just don't. Almost all of them are frustrating, buggy messes.
    I believe this stems from their "RPG" - Agenda they've been stumbling through this last few games, trying to make boss fights with a variety of different effects. And as there doesn't seem to be an understanding about how to adequately implement these systems we end with these...incompetences.
    I just hope that ubisoft gets their [censored] together and tries a different approach in the next years. I don't believe they can't afford these haphazard attempts any longer, their image being battered as it is.

Suggested Topics