Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 169 posts

The more I play, the more side quests I complete, the stronger my feeling that all the side characters are completely disassociated from the game world. While the main story is somewhat believeable and relatable, the side quests are pure fantasy junk more suited for games like Divinity. I just hope the next game in the series takes a more consistent tone.

• Rhinala
    2 posts

I love the crafted quests in odyssey, they are so much better then what I see in Valhalla. People here tend to point to the radiant fluff with the white icons. Those quests help level up and gain resources and money, they never bothered me and helped me reach the gold cap.
    Quests with golden icons are interesting, like the kid that made friends out of mud and the slave that never wanted to be released. Some side quests shed some light on the main quest, like the quest about Barnabas nephew.

The more I play Valhalla the less I want to continue playing that game.

• DaelosTheCat
    The more I play Valhalla the less I want to continue playing that game.

For me the side quests are not game breaking. But they are most definitely immersion breaking.

• Flanker1Six
    212 posts

@daelosthecat Pretty typical for an Ubi game and Ubi game plot. It's likely an effect of their corporate desire to make their product apealing to as wide a customer base as possible. Jack of all trades and master of none. Massive Illegal immigration, warfare, murder, [censored], economic/cultural disruption/destruction, .........................pretty much defines an excellent base for a adolescently orientated game. Hack off all the heads and limbs you want......................but Holy Jebus................................wasn' that Farting Girl making those guys puke In Ledecestre some seriously no **** comic relief?! UBI game = immersion breaking all too often.

• Infinite_Gnosis
    4 posts

Back in the days Assassin's Creed used to have a more serious, mystical and atmospheric tone, almost giving you the feeling that you were actually transported back in time. For me it felt next level. Something I never experienced before in gaming, combined with a story better than most AAA movies, but nowadays Assassin's Creed has lost that sense of immersion and has become less serious and far less reality based and believable. The storyline also turned from genius into a joke. I guess it's because different people are in charge now with different life philosophies and creative visions. Well.. at least they brought back Jesper Kyd back into the mix for the soundtrack.

• DaelosTheCat

I feel like ALL the side quests are comic reliefs. And comic reliefs aren't bad. Like Marcos in Odyssey. But if ALL the characters were Marcos, the world would not feel believeable at all. And this is the problem with Valhalla's side quests. They are all comic reliefs.

• Netspook
    307 posts
    @daelosthecat

I feel sorry for those families in Norway with Viking lineage that they are disrespecting. If they want to preach tolerance and inclusion they still need to respect other cultures and not falsify settings.

Rubbish.

I'm one ot those you talk about, descending from vikings. And I don't feel any "disrespect" at all. But at least here up in Northern Norway we don't take ourselves too seriously, and are certainly not easily offended.

• DaelosTheCat

Here's something that came to mind. A game that most modern action-RPGs want to be like - The Witcher 3. It too had comic reliefs. Like when you had to chase a goat. But those were few and far between. What if between story quests, all you did was chase goats and cats and dogs? That's how side quests in Valhalla feel to me.

• longjohn119
    930 posts
    Both of you should learn more about the northern culture back in that time. Vikings were much more tolerant and inclusive than you think.
    And regarding the funny quests: It's entertaining. This is a game and not a historic lesson at an university.

I don't mind the depiction of vikings. It's the side quests that bother me. They don't need to be absurd to be entertaining. Again, take The Witcher games. All the side quests are meaningful, fun and entertaining and none of them resort to juvenile humor and farts.

There were some funny quests in Odyssey too (The horny old woman, several Alkibiades quests, a couple of quests in Pephka, the Supedio quest) but they were spaced out and weren't every single quest ...... While there were a lot of basically dumb quests in Odyssey there were some real gems and the first one that comes to mind are the ones with Kyra, plus Leandros in Pephka, the Dagger quests on Euboea, the quests with Mikkos on Lemnos, the Eppie quests in Boeotia, etc that actually told a story .... What they needed was more of them and less fetch quests but not what they did in Valhalla .....A few here and there interspersed with some meaty quests like the ones I mentioned would have been a better solution .... Replace the fetch quests with these light hearted ones but also have some more complex quests .... Instead they went over to one extreme

• DaelosTheCat

Wow, I returned to Valhalla to see if it became more fun with patches (got bored last time and never finished it). Playing on the new highest difficulty and nightmarish scaling is challenging and so far not too bad. But damn am I still annoyed by every single side activity. I can't treat this world seriously. Every single side NPC is a one-dimentional joke. There's no depth there. None at all. These stories are empty. One can argue that they are there to distract player from the main story, but there are multiple ways to do this. What Valhalla went for is the cheapest and most shallow way.

Whoever wrote these things should switch to writing fairy tales for children and whoever approved them needs to go work on Fenyx Rising or something.

I miss the old Assassin's Creed...

• lemmie88
    274 posts

Totally agree about 80% of the mysteries. But I think you give too much credit by thinking there were writers. My theory is that all the devs got split up by covid and the bigshots want to release this unfinished game with its empty world asap. So devs get their take home assignment to create a mystery for filler content. Minimal communication with each other. Minimal understanding of the game/story as a whole. Mysteries cannot have any lasting effect on the world or story. Thus we get this disjointed, tone-deaf, mish-mash of experiences where everyone wants to be a comedian.

I really wish they'd at least have some relevance to the time period, location, culture, mythology, etc. Some of them do. But most are an insult. As a product of the American education system, I'm depending on AC for my world history education. They really dropped the ball on this one. Here's hoping its just a one-off from covid and doesn't happen again! 🤞

• longjohn119
    930 posts

@daelosthecat What really worries me is they are going to end up using this format as the basis for their Assassins Creed MMO they are planning for 2024 plus throw in a bunch of bogus NFT nonsense to go along with all their other Microtransactions .... Sadly this looks like the end of the road for Single Player Assassin's Creed

• Netspook
    307 posts

@longjohn119

AC MMO? The last I heard is that AC Infinity will be a live service game, not an MMO. But please correct me if there is newer info about it, or if you're talking about a different game that I don't know about.

Doesn't really matter much for me personally, though. I'm probably done with Ubi, since it seems extreme woke is the way forward for them, they ruined FC 6 completely with it, imo.

• longjohn119
    930 posts

@netspook I really don't give a rat's behind about your Woke Propaganda nonsense Junior ..... It's completely irrelevant to this conversation

• DaelosTheCat
    @longjohn119

AC MMO? The last I heard is that AC Infinity will be a live service game, not an MMO. But please correct me if there is newer info about it, or if you're talking about a different game that I don't know about.

Doesn't really matter much for me personally, though. I'm probably done with Ubi, since it seems extreme woke is the way forward for them, they ruined FC 6 completely with it, imo.

He probably meant a live service game. But the point stands. It's easier to create 100 shallow "funny" little stories than write even 1 good side mission with interesting characters and events. And I'm worried that they will keep using this format in future installment of AC.

• Netspook
    307 posts

@longjohn119

You also gave "a rat's behind" about your errors too, and instead focused on doing a personal attack. Well done, "junior".

• GameGuru2018
    131 posts

Don't quarrel, people!

There're good side quests.
    Even philosophical.

I liked this one! 🤣

"The Infinite Noise of Men"

She is really beautiful.
    I don't understand people who say the opposite.

• longjohn119
    930 posts
    @longjohn119

You also gave "a rat's behind" about your errors too, and instead focused on doing a personal attack. Well done, "junior".

You attacked first with your Woke Propaganda nonsense ....Hypocrite

• AORUS2017
    118 posts
    There's this huge dissonance between a rather serious tone of the main story and ridiculously absurd and absolutely absurd and comical side quests. Why is this? What drives the writers to create side quests this way? I mean, surely this is intentional.

So far I've seen a woman screaming about her love for cats, a man who covers himself and his hut in [censored] so it stinks and refuses to bathe, some dude who is an extreme nudist and wanted me to steal other peoples' clothes... Seriously, who writes this? Are the writers even aware of the tone of the game? All the side quests feel like something from Monty Python. Why can't the game stick to one tone? I mean, look at the Witcher games. All the side quests in those games (including the funny ones) are grounded in the game's world and tone.

You can blame Ubisoft Montreal, American game developer for this bad side quests, and yes the side writes have let down the game a bit, not only that Montreal have changed the Viking history forever getting too political with Asian/Black people beliefs in the game and how the world works around there ideas, it's a shame Ubisoft should just stick to building just games like they did. I leave side quest because they are badly written and pointless, we can't compare this game with other games and there side quest because every game developer is different as you know, everyone thinks Odyssey was best game and maybe so for some. It was Ubisoft Quebec Canadian game developer along with Ubisoft Singapore that made Odyssey, and yes it was a good game for me too. But then the LGBT groups attacked the forums saying they felt been [censored] having a baby in game storyline and it should be changed instead of just stopping the many new threads been posted every day and anger fans of the game more Ubisoft forum loud it to continual for weeks and months that's the French for you, then LGBT took it too the media & Ubisoft had too Apologise for what! I wouldn't, no one is making them buying the game. I am a long time gamer and like the AC series very much and Valhalla/Odyssey is just a game.

• longjohn119
    930 posts

@aorus2017 Montreal is in Canada not America ..... Same as Quebec

Suggested Topics