Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DaelosTheCat
    Original poster 168 posts

There's this huge dissonance between a rather serious tone of the main story and ridiculously absurd and absolutely absurd and comical side quests. Why is this? What drives the writers to create side quests this way? I mean, surely this is intentional.

So far I've seen a woman screaming about her love for cats, a man who covers himself and his hut in [censored] so it stinks and refuses to bathe, some dude who is an extreme nudist and wanted me to steal other peoples' clothes... Seriously, who writes this? Are the writers even aware of the tone of the game? All the side quests feel like something from Monty Python. Why can't the game stick to one tone? I mean, look at the Witcher games. All the side quests in those games (including the funny ones) are grounded in the game's world and tone.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Sparhawk122
    69 posts

@daelosthecat

I wholeheartedly agree.

They have also neutered the Vikings and Viking culture by portraying them as being very inclusive and friendly when everyone knows they were anything but. There's literally Asian Vikings. Like rewriting history much =_=

• DaelosTheCat
    @daelosthecat

I wholeheartedly agree.

They have also neutered the Vikings and Viking culture by portraying them as being very inclusive and friendly when everyone knows they were anything but. There's literally Asian Vikings. Like rewriting history much =_=

Yeah. I mean, they've made it clear long ago that the games were not about historical accuracy. And I get that. But if they want to go fantasy so bad, they should (and, I guess, they did) focus on that new Fenyx game. For AC series at least some degree of respect for historicity should be mandatory. But alas, it's not. It's a game about helping crazy women fart in city sewers now (real side quest).

• Sparhawk122
    69 posts

@daelosthecat

I feel sorry for those families in Norway with Viking lineage that they are disrespecting. If they want to preach tolerance and inclusion they still need to respect other cultures and not falsify settings.

• THW-GER
    12 posts

Both of you should learn more about the northern culture back in that time. Vikings were much more tolerant and inclusive than you think.
    And regarding the funny quests: It's entertaining. This is a game and not a historic lesson at an university.

• DaelosTheCat
    Both of you should learn more about the northern culture back in that time. Vikings were much more tolerant and inclusive than you think.
    And regarding the funny quests: It's entertaining. This is a game and not a historic lesson at an university.

I don't mind the depiction of vikings. It's the side quests that bother me. They don't need to be absurd to be entertaining. Again, take The Witcher games. All the side quests are meaningful, fun and entertaining and none of them resort to juvenile humor and farts.

• CMC.Serres
    5 posts

@daelosthecat

It's a question of taste. You don't like the tone of the world events? then do them and keep going. I for one like the events even when they get a bit absurd from time to time. Yes some have the humour of a 6-year old, i do agree, but some are actually really funny or interesting.

But one thing i would never do is say it's simply [censored] because it doesn't fit my kind of humour! If you can do better quests go ahead and apply!

• Sam_Boo26
    166 posts

I think some of them are funny, but I also think they are really short. I preferred how they were in Odyssey; some of them had long but interesting stories.

• DreadGrrl
    165 posts

@daelosthecat

I came across two that were pretty grim.

spoiler

The side quests seem frivolous and pretty random. I don’t find any enjoyment in them.

• DaelosTheCat

Just came across a quest where two "vikings" were practicing raiding an abandoned house and wanted me to torch it and then look for a key inside. Seriously, who writes this stuff? How and, more importantly, why does nonsense like this exists in a game with a serious main story? Events like this are better suited for more lighthearted games and worlds.

• dbgager
    158 posts

I am enjoying the side quests ( Mysteries). What do you want them to be. If you want long complex quests. Do the main story its full of them. The Mysteries are supposed to be short and sweet.

• Lukensen87
    16 posts

I actually like them much more than in Odyssey, less clutter everywhere is also nice change from last AC games, in that regards I say good job Ubi.

• DaelosTheCat
    I actually like them much more than in Odyssey, less clutter everywhere is also nice change from last AC games, in that regards I say good job Ubi.

I like how they are structured. Indeed they are short, they don't clutter the quest journal. My complaint is about writing. It's poor. Extremely so. It's silly and it misses the tone of the game.

• MrFob
    3 posts

The side quests are great in that they are now bespoke unique content, no longer those random radiant quests like in Odyssey. But I completely agree on the content. There are some good ones (like the girl under the tree that has just on leaf left for example) but about 80% of the ones I have encountered so far just make me cringe. Ubisoft authors like to get into seriously strange territory when they are trying to be funny, we knew that but Valhalla takes this to a new level.

I can even appreciate some profane humor, especially in the dark age England setting but just throwing these weird joke quests in was a strange decision.

• CMC.Serres
    5 posts

@daelosthecat You really don't have any kind of sense for humour, do you? "Mimimi this is bad this is bad mimimi"...

[censored] off with your "Writing is bad" just because you don't like how the side quests are!

I actually enjoyed this funny side event myself. Why does everything in this game have to be dark and all that? Even the Witcher 3 and RDR2 as 2 examples had weird and funny side stories that were nothing like the main story and you keep whining about these little breaks as if it was something serious...

• dbgager
    158 posts

@cmc-serres One that comes to mind in Witcher 3 . Is the granny and her pan. Everything does not have to be serious. Also playing hide and seek with the children

• DaelosTheCat
    @cmc-serres One that comes to mind in Witcher 3 . Is the granny and her pan. Everything does not have to be serious. Also playing hide and seek with the children

You could not be more wrong. The pan quest, while simple and slightly funny, still had a darker tone with a murder inside a hut and a hint of a character you know from the 1st game who you will meet. Indeed, if it were a simple "Go get my pan" - that'd be silly. But TW3 quests often have a deeper layer to them. Same goes with the orphaned children who unknowingly live at a mercy of children-eating witches and who are so naive as to ask you to just play with them. Nothing here has tone that differs from the general tone of the game and its world.

In previous AC games (Origins, Odyssey) there were funny moments and some quests that were kind of absurd (like the one where you had to help an old man get a [censored] in Odyssey, or the one with finding a lost husband in Origins). But even then these quests didn't entirely miss the tone of the game.

What I'm seeing so far in Valhalla misses the tone completely. Nudist dude asking to steal other nudists' clothes? Seriously? This is bad (or rather primitive and childish) writing.

• Sileusta
    7 posts

@daelosthecat
    A little humor never hurt anyone. Otherwise it might become a very monotone and depressing journey.

• DaelosTheCat

@sileusta

Think of it this way. You are watching a Lord of the Rings movie. And suddenly Frodo and Sam encounter TRANSFORMERS! Is it entertaining? Sure. But it hurts the narrative by introducing an element that is out of place. There are ways to make things funny and entertaining without having to resort to juvenile humor and absurd situations. You just need to have competent writers.

Also HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just thought that I may have finally found an okay-ish side quest. I met some nuns who were escaping a monastery and one of them asked me to retrieve her crosier from a military encampment. Just as I was about to sneak into the camp, the four nuns dashed in and started kicking soldiers asses with karate moves! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH! Entertaining? Sure. But stupid as hell. Insanely so.

• Sileusta
    7 posts

@daelosthecat
    From the quests you've mentioned I only met the "cat goddess", I'm focusing on a main story for my 1-st run, and to be honest, I can't see anything to stress about in this particular quest. It's neither funny nor stupid, just plain nothing with a crazy woman and a lot of cats and rats. I definitely wouldn't compare it to transformers in LOTR. However, seeing cats chill with rats was a bit disappointing, since it defeats the point of the quest.

However, I will not be surprised if I meet something taken out of proportion or common sense in this game. Ubisoft has a talent for creating something wonderful and then spoiling it with something either utterly unnecessary or plain stupid.

Suggested Topics