Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Sparhawk122
    Original poster 21 posts

Hey friends,

Anyone else find that we don't actually have a 'proper' choice in what gender we want to play as IF it is male.

For example Kassandra was made the canon character in the last game and it was mentioned in the laptop in regards to the Staff bearer.

AND we are forced to play as Layla. Whom I might add many, including myself find her character to be very immature and just downright annoying.

It does seem as if we really have no choice as the gender narrative choice is imposed on us already.

Onto this I can't help but feel some of the staff over at Ubisoft dislike men; even when Vikings are literally one of the manliest cultures to have existed in the world no matter how much one attempts to rewrite history.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• Gravelmead
    62 posts

@sparhawk122 Like you come upon 2 leaders of a clan, The female is hero material while the male is a blabbering idiot and coward. It does grind in you no mater if you are male or female in rl. This open prejudice against men is alarming and wrong.

• Louea
    6 posts

@sparhawk122

I play Kassandra like i played all my char a girl/woman in RPG and MMORPG because my storyline is an Elfe Hunter ADD based
    I like have choice in RPG to can choice it

But i have to say your wrong Kassandra is not a canon character it was confirmed by the Artistic Director himself.

Gender choice is not pointless Play what you want and live your life, please.
    Thank you

• RHYLASS
    32 posts

@sparhawk122

Well, can't say really.
    22 hours into the game, still in Norway, my male Viking "Eivor" in his German voice over acts like a man, talks like one, no funny gender bending encountered so far. I am very critical usually when it comes to political claims whether or what and how we are. Men and female roles inside a sexless society, where children have no need for parents anymore portrait the Viking society with its very strict archaic rules as public media see fit. At this point and from here until we stop making games, its good to see a place for femal characters outside their historical place. Why? I started playing PC games 1991. No girl no woman I knew played games at that time. There is a growing market for female audience by now - they want their power fantasies just like us men.

• Sparhawk122
    Original poster 21 posts

@louea

Ubisoft confirmed that Kassandra is the canon character for AC: Odyssey.

The games journalists like Kotaku, IGN all brag about it.

Moving on. The current time period story for AC Valhalla has spoiler and the only other male is a hipster loser that is meek and has no backbone. The only competent characters in current time period story are the two females. At this stage it is so predictable and facepalm worthy.

Although I will say that I did like the ending of AC Valhalla. Was not expecting it and spoiler

I remember when EA released Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order teasers and info. The uproar over the male lead. Ironically the game released and was a resounding success. But you get the point.

• Sparhawk122
    Original poster 21 posts

@gravelmead

This is a trend in modern entertainment. For example the sequel Star Wars trilogy. And even new Star Trek, the new James Bond, the new Terminator, the Batwoman TV show, The Supergirl TV show... Nearly 85% of modern entertainment follows this trend. And games are going the same route too. And anytime games do not follow the narrative they get cancelled on twitter.

• Karloz1995
    268 posts

@sparhawk122 i agree with you 100%

• Karloz1995
    268 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • ImaginaryRuins
    404 posts

@sparhawk122

"Forced to play as Layla" what's the problem with that? Back in AC1-3 we were all "forced" to play as Desmond Miles, and ACIV-Syndicate an unknown person. In my opinion, it is not the problem with gender, but whether the protagonist is developed enough for us to identify ourselves with him/her. Male or female does not really matter.

There are all kinds of people in this world; playing as different people allows us to expand our horizons and understand both the world and ourselves better. Of course, whether we like or dislike a character is completely subjective but I am okay with having "immature/annoying" characters, since our world does not entirely have people like Ezio.

I certainly could not confirm whether Ubisoft "dislike men", but I wish the protagonists in Odyssey and Valhalla could have been males since that matches history more.

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@imaginaryruins

The problem is that games have evolved and if you like th eplay as a male becasue u are one urself, i sux to play as layla.

Especially since ubisoft seems to care wther your hero is female or male but then when you choose male eivor your still called varindottir..

• Asgardian02
    1932 posts

@sparhawk122

Its pretty crazy the good movie series or shows, all have to change their male lead into a female one, just because its hip now.
    Why cant they just create their movie and story with a strong female lead.

My wifes dislikes movie with only men in them, but then again all action movies with a female lead she also dislikes. Cause lets face it, its totally unrealistic that a female who is way to thinny can take out hordes of super muscular men and dont even have a scratch on her.

Also men have to be super shredded for movies and muscular, cause there always needs to be topless shots, yet females cant be muscular even though playing a strong role? Why cant they at least workout for a movie. I mean if a woman is shown half naked its objectification, but men are shown topless all the time.

Its like there are 2 different measurements, one for men and one for women. Its annoying honestly.
    Just watch the latest wonder woman 84 where she basically rapes a guy but thats allright, however if it was man raping a woman ohh boy...

• Sam_Boo26
    148 posts

I don't like Layla either, but it's because of how she's written. It seems that they don't put a lot of effort on her, unlike Desmond, who was really an interesting character. That being said, I think it's a good thing to have an option to play as a male or a female. People are happier this way. As a woman, I play as a female character when the option is given. I don't mind playing as a male, the story is the most important thing to me, but I'm all for having the option to choose.

• Quor321
    232 posts

As this is all just a fantasy game. My character identifies as a F22 raptor. When I fire arrows I yell, " fox 1! fox 2! " I find my choice to have a point.

• hroozenbeek
    1024 posts

@quor321 Really, an F22 Raptor? In a pseudo-historical game? You must mean an F15 Eagle. (The EF-111A Raven being the obvious choice here, but the F15 Eagle is way cooler.)

• Quor321
    232 posts

@hroozenbeek Hey! It's my fantasy. When Oden appears I yell, " mother Goose you [censored]! " 10 meaningless points if you can guess the pop culture reference. But.... more meaningful then this thread.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics