iamthespark 6 posts
[I have finished the main story, below may be spoiler]
I agree with the majority of the posts here, and I am a person who enjoyed Valhalla more than Odyssey. The things that irked me weren't about specific features, but about tying the features into the story:
- Tattoos: What's the point of body tattoos if there are no cut scenes or armour that can showcase them?
- Loot: It really isn't worth figuring out how to break in a house for something that isn't narrative-based or of low quality.
- Sheer Map Size and activities not connected to main narrative: Large worlds are great to explore, but there is no reason other than grinding to truly explore this world. I would have liked companions to join me and comment on all the unique things that were found.
- Travel Time: I would tag my target and have the horse/boat follow the path to the objective. Then I would just walk away to do something else IRL. Without a narrative for exploration, the space between objectives becomes a loading screen.
- Feasts: It would have been a perfect opportunity for narrative developments with the townsfolk, Sigurd or Romances, but nope just a cutscene to a buff.
- Randvi Romance dialogue options: these options and the outcomes are the same for the entirety of the game.
- Assaults: After my 4th assault I was tired of them.
- Character Development: Eivor does grow as a character, but I didn't feel that I shaped that growth.
I skipped the grind and played on easy. I don't have time to sink into a game that doesn't have a strong story - that's what casual games are for.
I support this game, and am glad I contributed to it with my cash. There's a lot of potential for the series to continue to improve.
speedynl21 79 posts
i did finish the main quest line, but thats it, i don't even bother with asgard because its bugged, (wel not only asgard, but the hole game)
i gave up on exploring after spending 5-10 min to figure out how to get to a chest and got 1 ingot, wow
events(blue dots) i gave up on those, most are plain stupid, can you carry a crate to my house ( 5 meter further)
myst( white dot) i gave up on those after the first 1, chased a paper hafway true town and for wat a tatoo
myst animals wat the point of defeating them ?, you get a tatoo, and at the end a axe that i already have, + the tropy's don't even show in longhouse
settlement wat the point of it ?, it don't add anyting to the game, no benefits exept feat buff
roman mask you get some dum statues and a shield at the end, wow great stuff
raiding, wats the point of doing them, you only get some building material, for wat i know rading shoud reward silver/gold/jewels to, and let me kill those damn priest
ship/sailing, the ship in ody was so much better, here you can't barly see your crew, not to mention you barly hear the song
even decorating the ship is a waist of time
opal dealer, remove him he don't even speak to me
Cell1e 174 posts
Yeah Im skipping most of those tihngs too, they just feel like meaningless time fillers that are extremely unrewarding. I like skins, armour and weapon skins and plenty of them. Hairstyles too, definitely not bothered with tattoos or those boat upgrades, as you point out you just cant see them.
speedynl21 79 posts
now this is realy fúp, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAYwoK3fyHbpG3-GcGd04vOseCL2flku/view?usp=sharing
i can't remove the stupid haloween thing, it keep showing, so no back tatoo, and why do we have a nude filter, if turned on, make her atleast topless then
this show again how wortless tattoo's are for the female, and not worth the time to get/buy them
I agree with all of this. I keep asking [censored] was ubisoft thinking. I always looked forward to boss fights in the hopes of getting some great reward. Same for finding artifacts. I don't even care about most of the "mysteries" because there's usually no reward- just more xp for skill points which I'm overloaded with.
It's disappointing. I find myself loving the story and wanting to see whats next, but man... the reward system is just a major letdown.
This reminds me of the blowback Ubisoft got for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. They will probably revamp it over the next year and make it better, but too little too late.
SmalLongDog 6 posts
I haven't had much experience with Odyssey or Origins, but I'm enjoying the exploration in Valhalla a lot so far.
- The raid locations are fun to sneak into, and a I always find treasure or upgrades.
- The random mysteries are a fresh take on side missions that don't take up hours of my time but offer a fun little break from the main quest lines.
- The 3 different "regions" (I've found so far) have unique-enough landscapes to be interesting.
- I know it's next-gen, but it's a beautiful game with great environments.
I like some of the mysteries- in fact I think most are well done. Unfortunately, when the reward is just xp and more skill points, I feel less inclined to complete them. I already get an abundance of xp and skill points, so why bother doing them? I enjoyed some of the gear rewards you would get in side missions in odyssey. I'm not saying that should be the reward ALL the time- but something to make mysteries more rewarding would be nice.
SouldrinkerLP 316 posts
@speedynl21 Your post is hilarious. Because you are constantly asking "What for?" and add the reward right after it. Oof. You just want to talk bad about the game, that's all and it's very obvious.
- You want to explore but as soon as there is the slightest resistance so you have to use your brain => Nah, exploring is [censored].
- There are awesome events, you gave up on it because you saw a YouTube video speaking about one of the most boring ones.
- Tattoo Hunts are mostly pretty easy. Only the hiccups with the parkour system can make it painful. Usually it take 15-20 seconds finish it.
- The heads of legendary animals will be added to your longhouse. But yea, you also said Settlement is not rewarding for you. And yea, you get rewards, like you said.
- Feast Buffs are a benefit and you get side quests, a romance option and additional quest lines with upgrading your settlement. You also leave a mark on the world.
- That you dont like the statues doesn't mean it's not rewarding.
- Raids to reward silver if you loot it. There is plenty of it to find.
- The ship in Odyssey had another role. You can't do the same in England anyway because of geography. So now you want it to play somewhere else too?
You are basically a troll or the game is just not for you. You can play some Odyssey. Have fun with that.
SouldrinkerLP 316 posts
@smallongdog Not just the world regions are different. Also the regions inside England are way different. You can even find a totally new set of enemies in some of them. There is far more variety of enemy types compared to Odyssey too. 27 to be precise.
@kmansp31 I also feel they are rewarding in itself. Because they tell very nice stories sometimes. They are establishing the world and are giving it more depth. So I really enjoyed them. I finished all of them. I 100%ed the map actually and I personally loved most of it.
geoage095 39 posts
@souldrinkerlp How is "hey help me carry my stuff" quest or 'help us have sex by burning our house" adding more depth to the world?
Some of Origin and Oddyssey quests did that imo,quests that where semi-long and had actual storylines...not these "5-second " quests valhalla has. In oddyssey they even gave you something good for completing them also while here, you only get skill points.
I was playing Odysseus and posting pagan songs from Greek to Nordic songs From Kawir greek band to Danheim when they asked if we would like a Nordic Assassin. I was thrilled of that. The problem is they getting many things wrong and much is modern stuff that had nothing to do with it.
I would start with Ulfhednar. Ulfh mean wolf of odin or the berserker unit. Here is typical warrior, and sure they had the bear but many had wolf pelt on the head:
Second thing is how they make these romances. Homosexuality in Nordic culture was a taboo so that's a lot of bs in the game, and Viking culture is known to have legal concubines in order to raise the population or the tree of families, thus deviances as homosexuality where punshied especially in public, so thats a total bs modern notion.
Original poster martygod12 240 posts
@souldrinkerlp No they not lol, they are so not, omg how is rewarding doing a 30 second side quest for the 100th of time and get XP and maybe a skill point which you get hundrets in the game? You guys so dishonesting Odyssey system, that armor and weapons is so common there its useless yet you dont mint the exact same problem with skill points in Valhalla lol. when you get hundrets or maybe even thousands of them they are completelly useless.
Everybody complains how Odyssey was grindy and then the same people are okay with Valhalla which is ten times bigger grind then Odyssey was lol. Its only grind, grind, grind everywhere, for skill points for mats for everything.
Acutally what speedynl21 said in his post is everything whats wrong with the game and he couldn be more right. Its your post which is somehow hilarious actually.
The puzzles are incredibly annoying becuase they are just at every corner, and I wont actually mind doing them if I get something good for wasting my time with it, but I will not try to find some key or figure out how to get into the building or underground for ten minutes just to get a stupid chest with leather and iron omg.
Tattooes and statues/cosmetics are completely useless and stupid rewards, wasted resources which could have been used on making more weapons and armors things that you acutally use or see in the game and which are far more popular amongst players then stupid tattoo or statue you place somewhere and then never look at it again.
All those legendary animals and other boss fights are extremely unrewarding, that like the basic feature in a RPG game to get rewarded for a boss kill, but not that you will fight some idiot for several minutes and then get 20 silver lol.
It is the worst open world design and most unrewarding game I have played in a past few years.
Another thing not a single reference on the most famous Byzantine Varangian Guards
to kind of connect it with Odysseus.
The game gives the notion that Vikings just raided out of blue and units where unorganized yet they everything went through planning. Here is things worked in real:
Regia Anglorum - Viking Military Organisation