Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • geoage095
    39 posts

@martygod12

Amen!! Souldrinkerlp doesn't realise that he is grinding two times more than oddyssey but instead of actual usefull loot you get skill points. How can people bash oddyssey and adore valhalla when this game is two times grindier than before and TEN times less rewarding!

• iceDmeteL
    6 posts

Reminds me of Witcher 3. Landscape and environments feel the same after you played for a few hours, and you're basically just going from POI to POI and checking them off the map.

• IllyriusWarrior
    17 posts

@martygod12

You just have to read Kievan Rus history and the early kingdom chronicles to understand how far they expanded. In regard to Byzantium there is this Greece runestones - Wikipedia that documents the impact that they had on Byzantium on every aspect as they worked in many fields, in fact they had no hostilities and very little raids prior with Byzantines unlike the western part of Europe. Is also funny how they have in game these Chinese and middle eastern characters that are fictional and no one from the countries that they where collaborating as Byzantium with and have extensive documents to prove it.
    Yeah another problem is there is no single reference of weapons' and armor despite not only raiding but they where trading with this countries, and like in Greece even living in it and from artifacts found and the graves they had with them such weapons, yet the game makes no such mention.

• martygod12
    Original poster 237 posts

@icedmetel If you mean the ? in Witcher, they were far more entertaining then here or in any other Ubi game in my opinion, they were reasonably diverse and I loved like sometimes you could find a hidden treasure or had a mini boss fight with some rare strong monster you dont encounter much in the game, so It wasnt like I was doing them all to clean a map but I surely didnt mind doing them.

• IllyriusWarrior
    17 posts

@illyriuswarrior

Also many people make the mistake of simplifying Kievan russ to the rest of Slavic. They total different people, and also their tribes where also different in almost everything from customs founds to the rest.

• IllyriusWarrior
    17 posts

@illyriuswarrior

I meant to say they been absorbed latter could not edit it. In early kingdom and chronicles these different customs from slavs where mentioned with all respect, as we talking pure historic aspect.

• JCar4327
    599 posts

I really don't understand the whole thing about rewards. I don't game for the rewards; I game to have fun and escape from the real world, even though it likes to interrupt as often as it can. I remember playing games when I was a kid where there were no rewards. You might get some bragging rights if you got high score, but it wasn't about that. The games we play today are so far from the early games I, and I am sure many others in these forums played when we were kids, that I am happy to just play the game for what the developers created. I mean, the pure beauty of the worlds the devs have created in Valhalla, Origins, and Odyssey is just breathtaking. The satisfaction that I gain when clearing an entire camp of enemies without being spotted. And you know what, I have done so with the same gear set and weapons I got during the first hour or so of game play, all the other crap I've collected throughout my journey is just noise in the background compared to all the other stuff going on in this game.

• martygod12

@jcar4327 I dont know I am gaming for around 20 years maybe I too remember old games which was all about score etc. but games became do develeop, becoming bigger more complex etc. and the variety and customization became a big part of them especially of the open world games. And I dont know maybe you are different, but I think that gaming for rewards is what most players do, it is the mose essential feature of the game, but thats just my opinion.

You said you dont need it and if you dont thats great and I am sure you can have a lot of fun with the game, but there are also lot of players who dont because they find the game unrewarding and somehow boring and shallow in terms of variety and customization. I guess it is a matter of opinion and personal taste, the problem is that there is far too many people unsitisfied with it and that is a problem.

You said that you dont need the extra [censored] and you can play with the default outfit entire game and thats fine, but its your preference and your gameplay style, I am sure other would agree with you, but also a lot of people would disagree. The thing is that if they stayed with the system of uniqe gear, but offer more variety, customization and more rewards for exploration, you would still be able playing game in one outfit dont bother with the other [censored] and enjoy the game, it would not limit you in any way and also those who likes to get properly rewarded and likes customization options would be satisfied too. But they made the game only for those who dont care and those who liked variety in Odyssey are unhappy with the game. They just traded one group of unsitisfied players with Odyssey to another which are now unsitisfied with Valhalla and thats the problem.

And sorry but for me personally in games like AC or basically every game from Ubi which are very repetitve, I need a lot of gear, variety and rewards so I dont mind and get bored even when I am doing the same thing for the 20th time which is kinda how they games work.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@jcar4327 As the RPG mechanics in Odyssey were shallow at best and are not that much deeper in Valhalla, I don't see why I should collect and compare loot tbh. It doesn't make that big of a difference anyway.

I find it funny that people are yelling for "rewards". There are rewards, they just don't like the reward itself because instead of "useless xp" they want "useless loot". They want the same old piece or armor over and over again with some random stats because that somehow is "content" for them. Random generated stuff.

Somebody was like: I am just old and from the Diablo generation.

I am 31 years old and AC is just not Diablo. I don't want AC to become Diablo. I don't get it why every game has to become the same. I love games because they are different. Every game is a new experience.

• JCar4327
    599 posts

@martygod12 Until Origins AC games didn't offer a lot of variety in terms of gear; and you didn't have to collect resources to upgrade it, you just bought it from the store. AC games have always been repetitive. The first game was the epitome of repetition, but the concept of the game was what drew people into it. The only rewards in that games was: here, have your gear I took away from you back.

Completing the game is a reward, getting satisfaction from completing a challenging episode in the game is a reward, gaining experience and power are rewards, etc. Gear is not the only reward one can get from completing something in a game. Just playing the game to get away from whatever stressful thing is going on in your life is a reward. My point is that people get all wrapped up in expecting all this special gear and stuff that they lose sight of all the other good things about the games they are playing. I've played Destiny and the Division; I've played Skyrim and Elder Scrolls Online, and I get that people get excited over getting certain pieces of gear in a game, but gear is not the reason games are created. And games should not revolve around just the gear.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@geoage095 The difference is that the grind isn't mandatory like it was in Odyssey. Odyssey also had way more grind as the story was actually level gated. You'll get enough levels from the story to progress through the whole game without a problem. You can fight in 340 power level areas while being around 100 power levels too low. In Odyssey 2 levels above you meant damage sponges and instant death.

And on the other hand for you the only reward possible seems to be equipment. Pretty shallow for a RPG.

People are constantly comparing to Witcher 3, yet that game has quests with no or little rewards too:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/6y6fl6/quest_rewards_in_witcher_3_omfg/

Of course the small stories Valhalla tells are not on the level of the Witcher 3. But Witcher 3 had 4 years of development.

We won't get any game reaching the quality of Witcher or Cyberpunk from Ubisoft for their main franchises as they don't want to risk their investment with a 4 year development time. We can hope for BGE2. People are also comparing to Cyberpunk 2077. Which had 7 years of development time by now. But there are probably also people which will also whine and complain when there is not an announcment next year for the next AC. And they probably also hope for it to be an unpolished, boring, storywise very weak loot grinder like Odyssey was. Basically just another time sink with a heartless world with the same outpost copy & pasted 100 times on the map with random loot drops. Because random loot magically somehow make this least effort approach "rewarding".

I prefer Valhallas world a lot. The Copy & Paste is far less obvious here and every camp is unique.

• JCar4327
    599 posts

@souldrinkerlp Oh, I get that. I agree that games need to be different, that's why most people play games is to experience something new. And I definitely agree that gear is not the only reward in a game; see my response above. I actually found all the random gear drops to be a nuisance because then I had to look and see if it this piece was better or is that piece better; kinda takes away from the whole immersion thing everyone complains about because you have to stop and evaluate your gear all the time.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@jcar4327 I have given up that in Odyssey because the gear meant bascially nothing. I want to do stealth in an AC game. That's what I came to expect from it. So as soon as I got a decent stealth armor buff I used that and nothing else till the end of the game. I had never a single problem playing. The only problem was the hours of time I lost dismantling gear for resources I needed to grind to upgrade my armor so I won't become weak when I level up as the enemies levelled up too.

• martygod12

@souldrinkerlp Yeah and here you lose time doing basicaly everything, Valhalla is grind AF comparted even to Odyssey ... but sure good game design lol

And Valhalla world is so much copy paste omg, guys how can you be so blind I dont get it ... side quests shallow AF ,bring the crate to my house 5 meters away style .. yeah sure a lot of work put in those ... everything you do is behind puzzle or hidden underground ... wow not repetitive and copy paste at all lol ... all gear you find by going to the dot and loot chest also that is very uniqe and not repetive at all .. omg you hate Odyssey for being shallow, repetitve and grindy yet you defend game which is 10 times worse and all those aspects ...

And story is not level gated are you serious????? There are like 321364165 power levels which is just another word for levels :DDDD

Seriously guys .....

• martygod12

@jcar4327 Yeah but they were also a lot smaller and shorter, not like here where you need hundrets of hours to complete all stuff and you only reward is "story" thats not good enough, maybe in a game where the story or the gameplay is something breathtaking and groundbreaking like RDR2 for example, but not in the Ubi game which is almost the same as ten others they made. And even RDR2 had much more loot, rewards and customization for exploring and playing the game.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@martygod12 There are exactly 400 power levels. You are basically disqualifying yourself for any serious discussion by that point.

• martygod12

@souldrinkerlp Woow youre right only 400 thats not grind at all lol

• geoage095
    39 posts

@souldrinkerlp

What are you talking about,the gear in Oddyssey was EVERYTHING! All gear was different whith a lot of pieces having different stats and perks so you could mix and match for your appropriate build,you could build and spec different if you wanted to go Fighter,Archer or Assasin build.

You cannot do that in Valhalla,because perks are locked behind 4-5 pieces and to be honest there are NO builds in this game since you unlock the whole skill tree by maxing to 400. That's lazy and poo-thought design imo. The simply copied the Path Of Exile skill tree and simplyfied to the max!

HOW CAN YOU KEEP DEFENDING THIS GAME WHEN IT'S INFERIOR TO ODDYSSEY BY ALL ASPECTS EXCEPT THE STORY!

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@martygod12 It actually isn't 🙂 You get 2 power levels per level up, 1 power level for many of the mysteries. Some quests even reward you with 2 power levels. XP to next level don't increase. 1-2 quests = 2 power levels. It usually takes around 30 minutes to get 2 power levels. So you reach power level 400 at 100 hours. To reach it you have a diversity of stuff to do. Solving hunted site puzzles, going for outposts (you can decide between stealth or full attack, some you can even engage with your crew), solving other world puzzles to get loot, killing legendary beasts, the stone stacking puzzles (Cairn), the standing stone ring puzzles, the altars (and for these you have to do fishing for example), flyting is very entertaining, the anomalies have a pretty big reward, you can solve fly agaric puzzles or go a give peace to the lost drengr. You can also do the world events which only consists of max 5% of the things you talked about. I already pointed out extremly well crafted world events but you guys tend to just ignore that because you feel like you have to be right. Just like little children.

Oh there are also the Treasure of Britain which shows how superior Valhalla is actually to Odyssey The caves they built are so much better than anything you can find in Odyssey and they all feel handcrafted.

Can you count how often you encountered the following camp in your Odyssey playthrough? I stopped counting at around 100.
    undefined

And here is another world event besides the one of the monk who is out for revenge:

Lunden is a dark place and people suffer because a famous music band doesn't perform any longer. You have to find clues to their whereabouts and convince them to rejoin to give the people some joy in their life. You won't get any map markers for it, you have to follow the clues there are. I won't get into more detail here.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@geoage095 Oh wow, are you serious? I took the first gear which had a buff on stealth and kept it till the end of the game. Worked perfectly fine somehow. Weird. I thought it was EVERYTHING? Wasn't rewarding at all to have generic gear piece #190288338 in my inventory. Especially the bonuses repeated themself over and over again. It was pretty obvious there is a pool of 50 buffs they rotate through.

But you probably also think Borderlands has gazillion weapons in it and not just like 5-10 weapon types with random stats. (I dont know about how many types there are in Borderlands 2 and 3. I skipped these games)

So how engaging is a loot system where I can beat the game without even engaging with it at all? I also never died doing so. So it seems like you invested all that time without having any benefit from it 🙂 There is no PvP so there is no point in getting the perfect gear and 10 more dps when enemies have 1999000 HP.

Suggested topics

Community details

Users
Topics