Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• DoctorDoom11235
    7 posts

@chevy_man2010

I do have some sympathy for the argument, and maybe Ubisoft could have done a better job picking a specific, more historically accurate, gender neutral name. It's also possible 9th century Norwegian names were never gender neutral.

To me, the bottom line is that Ubisoft is trying to sell a culturally sensitive game in 2020, which is a difficult proposition and involves a balancing act. I imagine they actually have someone, or an outside consultant, whose job is to figure out how man people will be offended by what and how expensive it is to work around. Are more people going to make a fuss if there is no female protagonist, or if the gender-neutral protagonist's name, in Proto-Norse or Old West Norse is actually gender neutral? Someone complained about text on a screen? Great, Ubisoft's programmers can fix that in a heartbeat for the price of a cup of tea. Someone complains about a name used in a massive percentage of the voice acting? Well that's harder to fix. Post-facto changes like the one the OP alludes to are partially a matter of sensitivity and partially a matter of logistics.

Also, just for the record, there were three languages (at least) in use during the time period which would have been appropriate: Old West Norse, Old East Norse, and Old Gutnish (which influenced what we now just call "Old Norse"). I make absolutely no claims as to understanding whether Eivor has an origin in any or all of these. There are, I am sure, plenty of scholars who could tell us whether or not its appropriate (and I am sure a few of them are named in the credits for the game), but I am not sure the level of offense the OP takes to this is warranted. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe calling a female Eivor is the equivalent of painting a portrait of the prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him) using human feces. Something tells me it's not.

• forcefrank
    91 posts

@doctordoom11235 Very well said sir (and for those that might be offended, he said he was "male" in "his" last para) and I fully endorse what you said. With all the cancel culture and gender identity issues we're having today it's nice to see somebody say something that actually makes sense.

• forcefrank
    91 posts

Can we just shut down this thread? Seriously people, THIS IS A GAME, A GAME, how about we just simply play it and stop "trying to find things to be offended about", which is exactly what this is.

• forcefrank
    91 posts

EivorEivør or Øyvor is a female given name in the Nordic countries. And one other thought people, remember we are in the year 2020, where there is no gender specific anything, so, if Ubi wants to use Eivor as both a male and female name for a game character who isn't alive and is part of a GAME they should be able to do that without any [censored] and moaning about it.

• Netspook
    261 posts
    Can we just shut down this thread? Seriously people, THIS IS A GAME, A GAME, how about we just simply play it and stop "trying to find things to be offended about", which is exactly what this is.

This coming from someone who both posts 3 times in a row to keep this alive, AND comes up with own arguments in the debate.

Climb down from your pedestal before you fall and break your neck.

• forcefrank
    91 posts

@netspook Well, that request was after I had had my fill of it, thank you. It was fun while it lasted.

• Slimgrin
    20 posts

It's a bizarre thing to complain about and Ubisoft shouldn't have changed the game for one disgruntled reviewer who was clearly trying to get attention for this. That dialog is part of the setting. It's depicting a time when life was unforgiving and brutal. They had no notion of 'ableism'.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@slimgrin

Oh my goodness one of my colleagues told me her hubby's middle name is MARY!!!!! Apparently this is a Catholic thing to name your child after either Joseph or Mary. To me coming from a different culture this was the funniest thing ever...I mean God help any Kiwi or Aussi bloke ever given the name Mary....😁

Anyway different strokes for different folks I think. 😊

(By the way if my Mum/Dad gave me Joseph as a middle name Id definitely change it.)

• longjohn119
    608 posts
    @netspook

Yeah, it's likely an excersice in futility trying to make this point as I'm not [removed] with a big following on social media and therefore don't matter. Which only ignites my impotent rage that much more 😝

I just wish they'd have tried this with a culture that matter to the left...

And my point is not that they misnamed the character as such but that in every post about this game I've seen someone has protested this without any response but as soon as someone from the [removed] reacts it's the end of the world.

Are you sure you aren't [removed] because you sure as hell sound like one to me ......

• naero2
    11 posts

Did someone honestly bring "white guilt" into this ? ..I have lost hope for this planet.

• Ubi-Woofer
    Ubisoft Support Staff 1009 posts

Hello everyone,

I'd like to begin this post by reminding you all of our forum rules, which you can find here. Feedback, whether positive or negative, should always be posted and conducted in a constructive and respectful manner, even more so when discussed with others. We won't tolerate abuse, insults, or any kind of discrimination here on the forums, so please do not partake in any behaviour of that sort. I've removed the offensive terms and language this time in tandem with our automatic filter, but in the future I will issue sanctions where necessary.

With regard to the language filter - the F word is and should be censored, but if you see it slip through, please report it. "Garbage" is not in our filter so if that is somehow blocked, I'm confused as to why. I'll get that looked into if you experience that regularly, Netspook.

In terms of this discussion, it is an interesting one and one I would like to see continue forcefrank - but in a much more positive and engaging manner than it perhaps has been recently in this thread. It is great to hear differing opinions regarding our choice to use the name Eivor for the main character in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and I am certain that the developers appreciate insight into these kinds of discussions. We appreciate players taking the time to reach out with their feedback and it does get noticed.

Thank you all for your attention, and have a great week.

Official Response
  • Wombles-_-
    12 posts
    @slimgrin

Oh my goodness one of my colleagues told me her hubby's middle name is MARY!!!!! Apparently this is a Catholic thing to name your child after either Joseph or Mary. To me coming from a different culture this was the funniest thing ever...I mean God help any Kiwi or Aussi bloke ever given the name Mary....😁

Anyway different strokes for different folks I think. 😊

(By the way if my Mum/Dad gave me Joseph as a middle name Id definitely change it.)

Load off BS, if that where true there would be a [censored] tone off Joe's and Mary's running a round.

• Cell1e
    174 posts

@wombles-_

Thats absolutely true, I didn't believe it either. I went home and told my hubby and hes from a catholic country too and he says it happens there as well. Its not common but its a thing or it was a thing, Im a bit older than you probably. 😄

Check out this article

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/first-names/irish-first-names/

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@dbgager You could argue the exact same way about the thing Ubisoft did apologize for: "Well, get over it"
    Which is in fact the entire point of this thread. Double standard.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics