Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• trackah123
    Original poster 7 posts

When you go to "C:\Users\<YourAccountName>\Documents\Assassin's Creed Valhalla" folder, there is a file called "ACValhalla.ini"

This file is similar to previous AC games. Out of curiosity i changed most of the graphics settings to "4" and let the game run, after exiting the game, it changed most values back to their default highest values allowed and i noticed a few differences compared to the stock ini file.

Stock -> Tweaked

Character=2 -> Character=4
    Rain=2 -> Rain=3
    SSAO=2 -> SSAO=3

My guess is that it must have done something with the characters, the rain and SSAO (Screen space ambient occlusion) quality.
    Could not improve any other settings tho.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• elsafiro
    2 posts

@trackah123 This is a very interesting topic !
    I haven't found any other website or forum talking about tweaking this game settings file.

Did you run some benchmark or FPS meter soft to measure the impact of those changed settings ?

I'm gonna try to change the Fog setting to 0 and 1.
    I noticed that playing in a location where there is fog, I can see a lot of drops in the FPS graph (I'm using MSI Afterburner overlay) and so the average FPS drops to 50-55 FPS.
    We will see if it helps to improve global performance when playing at those foggy locations.

Maybe I'll also tweak the Rain setting to 1 just to check if it helps performance too.

• rooxon
    3 posts

That is indeed interesting. Did you notice any FPS difference? Any visual difference?

• speedynl21
    79 posts

set the file read only, after changing things, then it stick
    game don't make a new 1, so changes prolly work

• elsafiro
    2 posts

Hi guys,

I manage to do some testing on my last game session.
    First, I did not have to set the file in read only, the changes I tested stayed even after launching the game.
    Did you tried it @speedynl21 ?

Hardware: I play on a PC with an Intel Core i7-4970k and the ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Dual OC.
    Global AC settings:

• playing on a 4K SAMSUNG TV at 3840x2160 FullScreen + V-Sync ON
    • 100% Field of view (default)
    • Using Resolution Scale (Pixel resolution in the ini file) at 90%
    • Anti-Aliasing at Low
    • Shadows and Textures at High
    • Cloud Density at Medium
    • World Details and Clutter at Very High

This way I usually maintain the 60 FPS target, unless entering a town where I see drops here and there but it still averages to near 60 FPS.

So I basically tested the following settings:

Default setting=value ==> tweaked value

Fog=2 ==> 0
    I went to a location often used for a daily mission (near Soham Hideout island in Grantbridgeshire) where it’s often foggy.

• With the value 2, while playing there (moving with the horse or not) I saw the FPS drop to 48-49 minimum but overall averaging at 56-58 FPS.
    • With the value 0, in the same area the FPS was only dropping to 52-54 min but averaging at 58-60 FPS.

I did noticed the fog being less sharp and a bit more blurry but barely noticeable when running or riding your horse.

So not a big performance gap with fog.

Rain=2 ==> 0

Passing through a rainy location, I watched closely while having the setting at value 2.
    closed the game + changed the setting to 0 + reopened the game.

Right away I saw a graphical change, the rain was less defined and seemed to rain less.
    It looked more like an older game rain mechanic.
    However, did not see any FPS difference, it was averaging at the same 58-60 FPS.

But be aware, after 3-4 minutes my game crashed.
    I unfortunately did not find another rainy location after that.

Now I saw other settings in the ini file, so I will test next, especially CrowdDensity, Character and Lighting:

Character=2
    CrowdDensity=0
    Culling=0
     Lighting=0
    Reflection=1
    SSAO=2
    Terrain=0
    Texture=2
    TextureFiltering=2

• speedynl21
    79 posts

yea i have tryed some settings