Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• Kinaye
    Original poster 7 posts

When I’m in the Boat, the object consistently has unstable rudder control at zero-to-low speed. In addition, the fidelity of Steering and Maneuverability is completely backward from paddling to sailing. Let’s review…

Using the Xbox Controller, the Navigate toggle controls the Rudder: 

• Push Forward and we go forward Ahead 12:00.  
    • Push Backward and we go backward Aft 6:00.

These two actions work correctly. However, the next do not at low speed, especially when we’re trying to pull away from the dock or shore:

• Push Left, and that should give us Left Rudder
    • Push Right, and that should give us Right Rudder.

Let’s combine the motions:

• Full Left Rudder, Forward -> Boat pitches Ahead to Port.
    • Full Left Rubber, Backward -> Boat pitches Aft to Starboard.
    • Full Right Rudder, Forward -> Boat pitches Ahead to Starboard.
    • Full Right Rubber, Backward -> Boat pitches Aft to Port.

This should work at any speed.

Most people will agree that navigating a boat is an art, just like backing up a boat trailer at the ramp. What we have here in Game is confusion; at low speed it navigates counterintuitively BACKWARD, and then it switches up and navigates correctly once motion is established. In Hardware, if this was an electric motor, it would be attributed to having improper positioning which causes the motor to jitter until it knows which way it needs to rotate. Therefore I wonder if this is a device-interface issue with the Controller.

In Reality, at low speed, like when we’re padding – the boat should act very nimble and able to spin on a dime. I can do it in my canoe and kayak, but not so in ACV! 

In Game, I could be paddling at full speed and consistently struggle to corner the boat around a bend. However, if I have the sail up and running full speed – I can turn the boat on a dime?!? That is absolutely backward from real world experience! 

In Reality, if I have a boat load of Rowers (pun intended) at zero-to-low speed, without touching the Rudder, I have absolute control over position and speed. It’s like operating a tractor having Left/Right motor control. I can spin on a dime round and round, I can drag Left or Right side and power on the opposite – total and complete control with high fidelity!

In Reality, when sailing, all we have is the rudder, although because we have rowers, we can also drag Left or Right for tighter turning… sort of like a using a sea anchor.

Ubisoft has made three previous AC games with sailing involved: Black Flag, Origins, and Odyssey. This boat navigation issue should not be a problem.

Lastly, whilst I’m here: The Canoe navigation mechanic in AC Valhalla needs redesign; it’s worse than the Boat. Just copy the code from Origins and make it right.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics