Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• merckk
    Original poster 14 posts

I'm about 14 hours into the game. And while I am enjoying it, it also doesn't really feel like an assassins creed installment. So far almost all of the fighting has just been straight up combat and none of the sneaky stealthy stalking that I really liked with the AC games. Unless I am missing some things (which I'm not saying isn't possible) it looks you can't complete the game without engaging in some massive straight up melee combat since you need to get help forcing open some of the doors to get the supplies locked behind them. Not to mention when you think of vikings, you don't really think of them being quiet and stealthy.

The assassins so far are barely a footnote in this game. The main character isn't an assassin and it looks like maybe wont even become an assassin. Or at least not any time soon. And when you kill any of the templars, besides the cut scene, there's really nothing special about it. You don't get any cool gear, you dont get any sort of progress in terms of the assassins. You hand in 4 medallions and get a new ability without any fanfare or build up.

And so far the side-story with the Asgardians is pretty underwhelming. It doesn't really feel any different from the main story. Other then getting to see Thor fly in an fry some frost giants with lightning once, they don't feel any different from the characters in the main story line. I only completed the first mission in that story arc. But I don't really have any desire to go back to it since it doesn't feel that different from the main story line.

If i had to sum up my impression of AC:V so far, it would be that it's a good game, but it's not an assassins creed game.

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• TheGrimReeferzz
    44 posts

@merckk it's not a Assassin's Creed game and should never of been an Assassin's Creed game .

They had a great idea for a game that should of been built from the ground up and had its own franchise. Instead they took a great idea and slapped the Assassin's Creed title on it to boost sales because every recognises and loves Assassin's Creed, by doing this they had to put Assassin's Creed elements into a game that is completely the opposite .

Having the Assassin's Creed title has limited this game from its full potential . We have been given crappy combat in a game that is based on great viking warriors and is 90% melee combat . Ubisoft can make great combat mechanics , For Honor for example is a unique combat system and even though some people might not like that game it's style was refreshing and never seen before and when playing that game I feel like I am a skilled warrior .

This game could of been the start of a great franchise.

• merckk
    Original poster 14 posts

@thegrimreeferzz Not really sure about ubi's other combat games since i haven't tried them. But otherwise I pretty much agree with you. I think if they made the melee combat a little more complicated and the settlement building as little more detailed, it would have been a really good stand-alone game.

I'm about 25 hours into the game now, and I'm already starting to feel my interest in playing this start to fade. It's just not an AC game.

• TheGrimReeferzz
    44 posts

@merckk yh mate I no , my interest is fading also .

When you start in Norway the game is brilliant (apart from combat) Norway is stunning and beautiful to explore. The story in Norway felt like I was playing a true viking game , being apart of the struggle as different clans battle for territory , riches and glory , the story and character building between Sigurd and Evior alone in Norway was interesting , also in Norway you saw different characters relationships and how they felt towards one another .

The game should of been about Vikings and nothing but Vikings . They should of made it is own game and made it like the Vikings TV series . The struggles along the journey, the character building and relationships , the diplomacy and politics. That's what Norway felt like to me but soon as I went England all that went away . The introduction of the Assassin's and the order just didn't fit right in this game . I remember saying to myself when I first saw them in Norway before I sailed to England " hmmm these guys just don't look the part in this game"

Take everything Assassin's Creed out ! And leave it about Vikings and you would of had an amazing game but it's just pure laziness coming from another lazy game Company .

ROCKSTAR , CD PROJECT RED ! please make a viking game

• RazielX10
    13 posts

@thegrimreeferzz

Yeah this game is lagging in Stealth abilities. They took out harder to detect skills, double assassin take down and other things. The game is good, but it does focus more on combat then stealth. I hope they make a patch and fix this problem.

• DaelosTheCat
    167 posts

I think it's more assassiny than Odyssey was.

• TheGrimReeferzz
    44 posts

@razielx10 yh the assassination moves are terrible as well

• Dahmzor
    18 posts

Oddysey wasn't assassin's as they didn't exist in that time frame, in valhalla they do exist, but not in England, your not an assassin though you do help them as your morals co-inside with their creed. You slowly build the assassin's skills. Gaining their armor, and eliminating the templars as you go later game maybe gives you the option to join the creed. But for now, Your VIKINGR. Raid, scream, battle, WAR. With a few bits of sneaking round assassinating if you wish. But it's not just the character, it's the person outside the simulation, the story there, The keeper, same girl from oddysey. So after 14 hours your not feeling very assassin's creed...... omg 14 hours? just read that. you barely played *bangs head off wall*. I think maybe see how it plays out and just then.

• Gamebent
    26 posts

@merckk
    It's you

• merckk
    Original poster 14 posts
    Oddysey wasn't assassin's as they didn't exist in that time frame, in valhalla they do exist, but not in England, your not an assassin though you do help them as your morals co-inside with their creed. You slowly build the assassin's skills. Gaining their armor, and eliminating the templars as you go later game maybe gives you the option to join the creed. But for now, Your VIKINGR. Raid, scream, battle, WAR. With a few bits of sneaking round assassinating if you wish. But it's not just the character, it's the person outside the simulation, the story there, The keeper, same girl from oddysey. So after 14 hours your not feeling very assassin's creed...... omg 14 hours? just read that. you barely played *bangs head off wall*. I think maybe see how it plays out and just then.

I think 14 hours is enough time to get somewhat of a feel of the game. Certainly in the previous AC games by that far into the game you started feeling like you were an assassin. In any case, I'm now a little past 35 hours. And I feel more confident in saying this isn't an assassins creed game. At best, you could say it's a spin-off. The assassins play basically no part at all in this game.

It's a good stand-alone game on it's own. But it's not an assassins creed game. I'm baffled as to why they made this game the way they did.

• PottumWasTaken
    17 posts

Imo, I don't care if it's not like the roots, the beginning of AC. I like how it turned out, even tho it does have quite a few bugs and flaws.

• JCar4327
    635 posts

The game, like Odyssey and Origins, is set in a time when assassin's had very little presence. The last three games have been about the beginnings of the Assassin Brotherhood; therefore, there is very little of the Ezio and Altair type of assassin gameplay. The farther I get into the game the more and more I have enjoyed it. I have played every assassin's creed game created for play on the Xbox and I have to say this three game series has been pretty close to the best the franchise has been; there is very little doubt that the Ezio trilogy was the best.

And to those saying this is not an Assassin's Creed game, I respectfully disagree with you. These games have explained a lot about the origins of the brotherhood and the struggles the earlier assassin's faced. There has even, at this point in my gameplay, been at least one bridging of the story between this game and Assassin's creed 3. And like Ezio, Edward, and Conner you start out not being an assassin and you learn how to be an assassin. So, I respect your opinion, but have to disagree with it.

• merckk
    Original poster 14 posts

@jcar4327 How far into the game are you? I'm about 35 hours, just finished lunden (and the ones before it). I think I've killed 6 order members and found one assassin hideout. So far, to me, this feels like a seperate game with an AC crossover.

Just as a separate comment - i really wished they had set this game in japan. I mean..come on...assassins creed: ninjas 😉

• JCar4327
    635 posts

@merckk I'm a little over 100 hours in. I get what you are saying; I felt the same about Odyssey at first, but once I remembered that it was basically back story to all the other AC games it made more sense that there was little of the normal assassiny feel to it. This three game series has been essentially a prequal to the previous games. I also hope we get a Japan adventure at some point.

• TORFINR
    375 posts

I think that we had to invest heavily in the stealth tree (crow) for being it about AC killing stuff. Most of us go pure melee (bear) or a mix of melee and range (bear+wolf) and our stealth abilities suck.
    There's also something really rotten with stealth in this game: once an enemy sees you, it's over, the whole camp, even those at 500 m from you will see you. That's the most annoying part.

• merckk
    Original poster 14 posts

@torfinr I have been doing i think probably close to an even mix, although leaning more to stealth and range. I haven't had the problem you have had with everyone seeing you. In fact, as soon as I break line of site, no one sees me. For example - if i climb up on a roof and then move around to the far side of the roof, they no longer see me...assuming they don't come running around to the far side to look for me.

• Dahmzor
    18 posts

@merckk OK maybe you mis-understood me... The character you play inside the animus is a genetic memory of a person around that time period that could hold information the Assassin's in the present day need for their plans. The character in the animus does not need to be an assassin, Though Eivor helps the Hidden One's destroy the Order in England, Eivor himself is Viking and seeks glory and fame and has no interest in hiding in the shadows. Though it does not stop you from playing that way when killing the order, thus using the Assassin's "hide in plain sight" tennent.

You see your problem is that your missing the whole story, all of it. From Assassin's creed 1, through Odyssey (not playing an Assassin by any mean's) and Origin's (again not Assassin's but the creation of the Hidden One's, the prelude to Assassin's). Saying this is not an "Assassiny game" would mean all of them had to be exactly the same, but this series is a story. Quite a long story. And if they was all Assassiny like you say, the story could not be told.

Spins offs would be the platform versions; "Chronicles of somewhere". which are crap money makers. But after 189 hours of play I can safely say, this felt like another great story in the Assassin's Creed Franchise. I make no spoilers for you, but I say this; play to the end, then talk about how "Assassiny" it felt.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@razielx10 Double assassinations weren't present in Origins and Odyssey either. (Odyssey had the exact same way Valhalla has it now) Why is that? Exactly: Because the second hidden blade was invented in Italy by Leonardo Da Vinci.

We don't need more plotholes tbh. At least this was one thing Quebec didn't destroy.

• RazielX10
    13 posts

@souldrinkerlp

Yeah, I agree it was absent from these two, but in Syndicate they had double take downs with only one hidden blade. I hope they bring this function back.

• Dahmzor
    18 posts

@souldrinkerlp I'm not sure if your saying the lack of double take down's in Odyssey and Origin's was a plot hole or not. But Odyssey was Spartan not assassin's, and was set way before anything to do with assassin's was created. Although Darius assassinated the Persian King, and had the first hidden blade created by himself, he was not actually an Assassin, just a soldier protecting the Persian Empire. And Aya's Grandfather. It's not till the end of Origin's, when Bayek and Aya create the Hidden One's that anything to do with the Assassin's Creed comes to fruition. Way before Leonardo De Vinci created the double blade. As for Eivor.... he actually does have double takedown's in Valhalla, he uses the hidden blade on the first target and then throws his axe at the second target. What was great about this was they don't need to be right next to each other, they could be quite a distance from each other. Point is, double take down's are in Valhalla.

Suggested Topics