Continue your odyssey

Welcome to discussion

Welcome to discussion

Quick Suggestions

Hello! These new forums are an open beta and we welcome your feedback in this section.
  • Frosthound030
    124 posts

Had to speak up finally after seeing all these REEEEEE fanboys claiming Vikings wouldn’t kill civilians, tired of little kids thinking they know my culture just by watching a few tv shows 😂😂😂

• UltimatePowa
    61 posts

@frosthound030

Women were fair game to do what you described, but Vikings weren't allowed to just murder them (unless they were fighting back with a weapon), because women were valuable, sometimes more valuable than the silver they raided for.

Same with children.

The only exception to this is if the woman was pregnant, then they'd just kill them.

• Frosthound030
    124 posts

@lucien_aus i totally agreed, to me the ones that think someone is a psycho for killing in a video game are the actual ones with some sever mental issues since it proves they can’t distinguish the game from real life😂 I mean their so blind they think YOUR a psycho, ahhhh when the toddlers of gaming try to come out😂😂😂

• Frosthound030
    124 posts

@ultimatepowa thank you, finally someone who understands what Viking is.

• Chevy_man2010
    83 posts

@frosthound030 Im part Viking and I agree with your assessment.

• SpiritpPotato
    11 posts

@chevy_man2010 i mean, i don't think the accuracy of whether vikings killed innocents or not really even comes into play. we're follwing eivor's story, not the story of any random viking. maybe she just chose not to kill innocents, so then, doing so will de-sync you from her memories, cause that's not what she did.

• Frosthound030
    124 posts

@spiritppotato the thing is she never would been accepted as part of a raiding party if she had this mentality as a Viking, so her story wouldn’t even happen from a legit standpoint

that what people don’t seem to get about the Viking culture, we have actual folks her with Norse and Viking back grounds that know what we’re talking about, Evior would not even be a Viking at any point if this was his attitude, they’d have to stay in the village and work, thus making the story completly bunk as Ubisoft had to make these fake nice guy Vikings.

• SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@i_am_david_ Yes, I saw that too. But! The cities which are there are very different in style. Some have pure anglo-saxon influences, some have nordic influences, some have huge roman influences. And some are a mix of these. They all have a very unique layout and style to them. Also the environment around these cities (the regions itself) have different feelings to them. Different color schemes, different flowers and even trees. They of course reuse models. I already saw the same tower mesh 3 or 4 times. But everytime the loot was hidden differently and a different "world puzzle" had to be solved to get to it. One time it was just standing there.

Basically this comes down to development time. If you have 2-3 years you have to reuse stuff. If you have 5-7 years like RDR2 or CP2077 every building can be made unique. Ubisoft developed a lot of development tools to make it as easy as possible to reuse assets with ease and let an algorithm place buildings for them etc.

You can see this tool (I think) in a dev video of AC Unity. They basically only give a road layout and the algorithm places buildings automatically. They seemingly didn't use this tool for Valhalla. At least not that much. Which might be the reason we don't really have huge cities as they are way harder to be built by hand. I really do appreciate the added effort so far tho. I am 50h in now.

For instance you can look at the village houses which are re used a lot of course. This mesh basically has "options". They are all based around a base mesh and then they can add a door lock and open window to it etc. So far I like the world puzzles even tho they are repetitive in nature.

It's often one of these:

• Get an arrow shot through a hole to break the lock on a door. (Sometimes just from a window, sometimes you need to really find the real angle to do so)
    • Find a weak point on the house to break and get in. (Used too often I think)
    • Find a key (sometimes combined with a letter with a clue)
    • Destroy a wall with a vase you have to find and carry. (Some of these are tedious. Because vases are not that easy to spot for me)
    • Destroy a wall with an arrow by destroying a vase you can only see standing behind the wall from a different angle. (You can often use a torch to the wall itself tho. I think this is a bug)
    • Moving boxes puzzle (Most of them are very basic tho. Same bug as above works here. You can often destroy vases blocking the moving blocks with a torch because you can throw them through the moving blocks.)
    • Find a wood covered well for underground entrance.
    • Find hanging boulders to break free an underground entrance.
    • I really liked Jotunheim. They added a new layer by having these "entrances". Won't spoil too much here 😉

I probably missed one or two styles of world puzzles. And rarely you get a pretty unique way. Like combined to a world event.

• MangyBasterd
    12 posts

Assassins Creed is one of the "biggest" open world game series on the market. Ubisoft is one of the "biggest" publishers of open world games as well. You use GTA as an example of how AC isn't one of the "big" franchises, but GTA is one of the most successful game series of any genre ever and I doubt adding the option to kill whatever NPC you wish is what is going to make the series that kind of phenomenon.

I don't really care whether they add that feature or not honestly, just thought it was weird you thought AC wasn't a "big" series.

• Patricia81994
    113 posts

Yes this is also something that i cannot understand that you get desynced when you kill a few civilians i mean you're a Viking and you're raiding a village but you cannot kill civilians uh ??? It's not that i like to kill civilians but that you get desynced is just ridiculous.

Just my opinion.

And this comes from the game Far Cry. 😒

• mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts

@spiritppotato
    it doesn't break the story because what players do outside the game is not canon.
    go write a book if they want a strict story without any alternative input from players.

• mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts

@souldrinkerlp "ludonarrative dissonance"? go write a book, or not make it a fake open world, teleport players from mission to mission if you want to be 100% accurate.
    you can call the gender-change clever, we believe the "bounty hunter" system is much more clever, programming that kind of AI should be standard for 2020 game.
    no mean to offend, but "narrow-minded" is the most polite word i could use, to describe someone who thinks everyone else should play in the same way as he did.

• Ehllfhire1
    86 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • SouldrinkerLP
    316 posts

@mitsunari3 I think it's way more "narrow minded" to want the same game over and over again. AC Valhalla aimed to be different and they achieved that. AC2 aimed at being different from AC1 and they achieved that as well. I do enjoy Valhalla at least a thousand times more than Odyssey. So it worked out for me and a lot of others too.

• mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts
    This post is deleted!
  • mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts

@souldrinkerlp
    we didn't ask for same game, but sounds like you did, sounds like you want the old AC style over & over again.
    we didn't ask for the same game, we're wishing for return of removed feature, option of killing npc civilians & "bounty hunter" system returning wouldn't make Valhalla = Odyssey.

i don't don't to sound rude, you are not only narrow-minded but also selfish, since adding extra feature wouldn't affect you (& your so called "a lot others").
    previous comment from LUCIEN_AUS answered your enquiry for us. (phrased it much better than i did, thank you 🙂

If this subject is not important to you then don’t comment here.
    Dont try to shut his opinion down because you don’t like it.
    If you don’t want to get rid of civilians then don’t attack them.
    It will not affect your gameplay in any way if they implement it.
    I also agree that it is annoying to be desynced if killing civilians.
    I do understand that they implement it because the killing of civilians changes the “timeline” in history as those characters were not meant to be killed.
    However, if we killed those civilians then who’s to say that they weren’t meant to be killed??
    If it happened then it was meant to be.
    I just find it less enjoyable.
    Id get a more realism feel if they just let us kill civilians.
    And it’s a game ffs, if you kill civilians in a computer game it does not straight out make you a psychopath.

• mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts

@lucien_aus
    thanks LUCIEN 🙂
    (please ignore my other reply, it was supposed to reply someone else =.=" )

• mitsunari3
    Original poster 73 posts

@frosthound030 well said! 🙂

• forcefrank
    91 posts

@mitsunari3 I don't get that either. I'm on my first raid last week and I inadvertently kill a non-soldier and the raid ends with me having to start over, spawning in the ship/boat, whatever that oversized canoe is. We're VIKINGS Ubi, VIKINGS! What the hell!!!

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics