Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@asgardian02 OFC, but we were on about Korean single player games right? I've never played one. I've also never bought anything from the Helix store in an Ubi game; they are perfectly fine without it. So my question is, are Asian games worse in this respect, as in borderline unplayable unless you buy extra crap, or on a par with Ubi, where it's annoying it exists, but there's no actual need to use it?

• swampeh
    12 posts

@kreutzgang Crimson Desert has a single player campaign, that leads to an online open world.. and within the single player campaign you can join friend/randoms to do dungeons or raids, once in the open world you can run around solo, or join with friends (just like most MMOs)... So it's like a Hybrid MMO of sorts... they're calling it an 'online open world adventure game' so make of that what you will, but to me that's just marketing speak for MMO..

I've never played a Korean game, be that solo or MMO that didn't have massive grind requirements (Koreans love grinding.. apparently..) they usually add additional MTX to make the games more bearable for western audiences. Maybe they'll surprise me, have no MTX or grind... but maybe I'm a fish 😉

I don't mind a certain amount of MTX in games, for fluff and cosmetics mostly... Assasin's Creed mostly gets the balance right imo, with most of the MTX being cosmetic, and they skate on thin ice with the time savers.. But they're not essential items.. you can fully play the games without too much hassle without spending a penny on MTX. Personally I usually buy some cosmetics... I have barely bought any this time due to the lack of a transmog feature, and I usually buy the timesavers, purely because I don't have the time or patience to explore every square inch of the map to find quests and stuff... I'd much prefer it if they went back to the old way of high point synch unclouding a map and making visible everything in that area, and I never buy crafting materials or money...

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@swampeh

almost everything in helix store is just cosmetics you say... Most of it is armor and weapons.

I dont mind MTX in a free to play game, as thats how they make money. I dont like it in a full priced game such ac games.
    Where at this point there are more armours in the helix store then in the actual game...

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@gloomseeker

yeah i liked the shipupgrades in odyssey and was really hooping that system would be further improved upon in valhalla, sadly that never happend.

recently logged back into odyssey and the armor looks so much more detailed and more finely designed then in valhalls. Iespecially dislike the huge shoulder pieces from the cloack in valhalla.
    Its like your are some sort of american football player
    undefined
    Its looks so crap those big shoulders

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker I read recently people complained about the ship combat in Odyssey, so that's the excuse to get rid of it. I've also read about people ramming other boats in Valhalla; I can't say I've ever encountered a situation where ramming another boat was an option beyond feeling purely destructive *scratches chin*

Most of the changes they made seem to be based on making the game "harder/more realistic" (but actually making it easier and it's not more realistic either), and some kind of vendetta-like behaviour where they bring all the stuff from their last own entry in the series back. The puzzle aspect ... is that maybe a trend in gaming? Because Fenyx has that too. Same with the auto-health regen. I don't buy many games and even less on release, so I wouldn't know. Those imo extremely dumb "secrets" in the game also seem to be some kind of trend. I'm glad people are enjoying them but imo they are extremely out of place in a single player game, especially one as empty as Valhalla.

Also, as I mentioned above, I think we simply are not an assassin, so we need to stop seeing it that way to avoid frustration. We are just someone being manipulated by both sides.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@asgardian02 I think the big shoulders are meant to make us look like big, bulky intimidating ... people.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@kreutzgang

well in odyssey we looked intimidating as well, I never liked the oversized shoulders in any game, so valhalla is no difference.

I have been hiding cloack and chest the entire game (240hours now). it just doesnt look good without. especially given the fact that the cloak doesnt move with the wind, it feels super unnatural.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@asgardian02 I don't like it either, but I guess other people do.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@gloomseeker

i dont like the mythical status every gear piece has. A lot of items have just underwhelming perks. For example you get +8 attack power when close to full health.
    Thats just nothing and why bother with such things.

Its much more fun when you get to loot a variance off diffrent loot and quality items as well: rare, magic, epic, legendary, unique. Have a few sets but also have just unique and or legendary items which enhance certain abilities or such.
    That way you can actually build cool stuff. Now its just whatever.

The skill tree is totally pointless as well. Like you say you max out everything easily so u dont need a brain for this game at all. I dont get why they didnt limit the amount of points you could spend there, so that you really had to make hard choises on where to spent your points. That way you had to also consider will i wear bear/wold/raven gear, now it just doesnt matter if you wear wolf/bear/raven gear making the entire choose your lifepath obsolete and pointless.

Dont get me started on th emastery system, what a garbage that is. Compare that to odyssey, why couldnt do something similar.

Another thing that bothers me i sthat fact that transmog systems have been around for weel over 15years now, then a new game comes along and just doesnt have numerous feature we have come to love and like from these much older games.
    Like also armour racks where you can store your cool looking armour but also switch easily between builds, gear and runes etc.

All in all valhalla feels like a massive downgrade as you just literally go back in time 10years with the numerous features they left out.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker yeah totally agree with everything you say.

I am replaying Odyssey and just doing the daily quests in V - I felt replaying it would give me a better perspective, and it really is a much better game in almost all respects apart from possibly the narrative, which I preferred in Valhalla personally, but since it lacks characters like Socrates etc, it's not really a win either. I do like the VA in Valhalla a lot, but Alexios is more fun because he has a sense of humour and doesn't look mega glum 24-7 (playing as the men) - I just love the facial expressions he has, the controls are smoother and he doesn't die from dumb fall damage xD Besides the main missions, (which are often annoyingly restrictive) and some stuff like the dice game, flyting, getting high and other puzzles which were a nice change, but too many of them - and not counting the anomalies and the drinking game - Valhalla is just grindy, repetitive and really badly balanced. The only thing I miss when playing Odyssey is not being able to avoid arrows by hurling them back, or stomping on people, and that I often forget what I'm meant to be actually doing because there's so much stuff on the map, or I get sucked into boat battle binges.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

I don't regret buying it as I did get my money's worth out of it and there are still the DLC's to come, where I expect at least the story to be worth it, plus I enjoyed older entries too, especially Black Flag, but that doesn't change the fact that Valhalla is a massive step back in many respects. It could have been amazing if they'd *improved* upon Odyssey and added the new stuff (but less of it), and if it wasn't littered with half-arsed stuff like the curses, or actual content wasn't replaced with alleged "mysteries" targetting 0,000001% of players. Also, the starting area in Norway is way too long and dul.

PS - this was an edit, but even the forum is annoying as hell - LOL

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@kreutzgang
    like really annoying

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@gloomseeker

if the siege on Paris is anything like the sieges that are already in the game it will be a total disappointment. Ofcourse you can elect to combat all the enemies coming at you, but in thruth you just need to open a few gates and then you have already won the battle.
    Super boring to me.

Other realms could be a possibility through the druids or Ireland, ie more potions with visions. But then the boring part is you wont be able to transfer any loot, so there wont be loot from there. which sux.

Its so annoying to loot enemies and get green, yellow flowers, feathers, an old pillow or fermented cheese. Its just not rewarding at all.

• Asgardian02
    1938 posts

@gloomseeker

IN W3 NG+ was really cool cos it unlocked a harder gamemode setting and you could really flesh out your skilltree even more. Also making totally different story choices that would have a big impact.

What would be the point to play NG+ in Valhalla though?? Lets see:

• your skilltree is already maxed out, so no gain there
    • all my gear is fully maxed out , so again nothing to gain during NG+
    • there arent really a lot of game changing choice within the story
    • there si no mastery system though could further improve
    • no sttlement upgrades you can do, so what would be the point of doing raids ?
    • Since raids wont give you anything doing alliances all over again seems rather silly as well.
    • All that NG+ offers is the chance to all the mysteries and puzzles all over again.

so yeah. totally pointless

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker I really hope the Paris siege isn't just more of "go and do x specific thing or suffer infinite respawning enemies cos you are doing it wrong", and that Ireland isn't "cool place, now go and loot 20 dumb gems for some useless mastery points and that's your lot". 😄

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@gloomseeker ikr? Imagine the anticlimax of taking a super strong hallucinogen only to spend most of the trip agonising over collecting some gems.

• Yesin069
    554 posts

I think Ubisoft are still finding the sweet spot for their AC-RPG-formula. Odyssey was the wrong way in my opinion because it had too much RPG mechanics for an AC game to work. This could be the way to go for new RPG fracnhises from Ubisoft.

Valhalla is a step back from the RPG mechanics and for me it is the right way to decrease the RPG mechanics in AC games. This would also take away all the die-hard-RPG-fans and would stop discussions like there is noth enough loot, level scaling, endgame content and stuff like that.

AC should focus on the characters and the setting, without forgetting the main pillars of AC.

Unique weapons and armor (without microtransactions), fast time to kill, one hit assassinations and stuff like that should be standard in AC. And then they cann add some RPG-light-stuff like some abilities without hiding core abilities in skill trees, like rolling when jumping from high places (i know in Valhalla you can roll even without the skill unlocked - just time the button press correct), but it still was a skill in the skill tree that should just be possible from the start.

They should do the skills more like in Gothic. If you level up you go to a trainer and he will teach you how to do it. If you want to do dual assassinations, collect the skill points and go to a trainer and he will teach you ingame (with a little quest) how you do it. Just less skills with better fleshed out ways to get them.

Hopefully tehy will go back to Unity and build more on it's systems, seeing how much love the game gets after all the hate.

Regarding Siege of Paris:
    From what Ubisoft told us i believe this DLC will be more Assassin-like. They said that we need to "infiltrate Paris from within" and the picture they shown looks really like classic AC. I hope that this DLC will show Eivor as a fully working assassin that tries more to hide in the shadows and that other people from Eivor's clan are more trying to do a classic viking raid. And at the final we get to decide if you go the viking way or the assassin way to invade Paris.

Finally this will be the transition to slower Assassin gameplay in the next titles.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@yesin069 I miss dual assassinations!

• Yesin069
    554 posts

@kreutzgang

Me too!

I played some Unity today and the dual assassinations there looked so stylish and the parcour animations too. The phantom blade was also a perfect weapon for assassins. I really hope that they use a new engine for the next gen AC and focus on bringing back classic assassin gameplay where combat should be the last way to go.

• kreutzgang
    635 posts

@yesin069 or at least give us the option to play like that.

Suggested Topics