Welcome to discussions

Quick Suggestions

• TheGrimReeferzz
    Original poster 44 posts

it's not a Assassin's Creed game and should never of been an Assassin's Creed game .

They had a great idea for a game that should of been built from the ground up and had its own franchise. Instead they took a great idea and slapped the Assassin's Creed title on it to boost sales because every recognises and loves Assassin's Creed, by doing this they had to put Assassin's Creed elements into a game that is completely the opposite .

Having the Assassin's Creed title has limited this game from its full potential . We have been given crappy combat in a game that is based on great viking warriors and is 90% melee combat . Ubisoft can make great combat mechanics , For Honor for example is a unique combat system and even though some people might not like that game it's style was refreshing and never seen before and when playing that game I feel like I am a skilled warrior .

This game could of been the start of a great franchise

• Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

@thegrimreeferzz This is exactly what I have been thinking. This game seems like it would have been amazing if they just left it to focus on the Norse side of stuff. There was so much potential for narrative between Eivor and Sigurd alone. Look at the Vikings TV show, it literally revolves around interpersonal relationships and is hugely successful because the stories are interesting and feel like they have stakes. Nothing in this game feels like anything is at stake. It has so much stuff that gets backseated because it wants to be Assassin's Creed while also exploring things like Asgard/Jotunheim and Norse politics that it just loses itself by not being an especially good story about anything.

• qapnugget
    61 posts

@thegrimreeferzz 
    @ValtyrNine

I won't spoil it but it turns into dark souls battles with mythical enemies in a fantasy off world map. 

So it has moved far away from original AC series of urban environments and focus on stealth and parkour movement. Into now an offline MMO of checklist locations, which thankfully are no longer required for story progression, no XP walls. The stories even though not great are the only motivation. But the main quest itself is very long and at least entertaining along the way.

The politics lost me along the way and ignored it, but just focused on the revenge and betrayals aspects as it is more interesting.

This new character moves like a fat hippo and struggles to get up the stairs like my grandad.

• ValtyrNine
    87 posts

@qapnugget I don't think you fully read my post because I mentioned that. I actually liked the inclusion of that part. It's the first time I've ever seen Norse mythology truly represented in a game in a semi-accurate way besides in God of War or Jotun. Those areas are some of the highlights of the game in my opinion. Which is my point, they could have dropped the Assassin's Creed premise entirely and just made a game about Vikings and Norse gods. It has the foundation of a great Norse game or a really bad and disjointed Assassin's Creed game.

The main quest is a massive slog of repetitive and arbitrary tasks. You get good development between Eivar and Sigurd at the start which is interesting and then none of it for roughly 40 hours of gameplay, then a conclusion. It hurts itself by not focusing on the actual main characters in any meaningful way and expects people to be interested in King-designate Jarl MacGeneric Number 14 and his loyal/unloyal companion(s) Medieval Trope Character Backstab Edition while hoping that Eivar will get some development eventually.

• TheGrimReeferzz
    Original poster 44 posts

@valtyrnine I 100% agree with you mate and I absolutely love the Vikings also !

You are right ! At the start in Norway I was so interested in the characters and their struggles in Norway , it felt like I was finally going to get a Vikings game but when I reached England the story started to get abit boring and repetitive and thats when I noticed how much they where trying to make this game Assassin's Creed . Soon as the Assassins from the order introduce them self's I just felt like they didn't fit or look the part in the world .

As much as I love all the other Assassin's Creed titles , I honestly couldn't care less about the order and the Assassin's in this game . I really wanted this game to just be a new franchise about the Vikings alone . Such a shame

• qapnugget
    61 posts

@valtyrnine

@TheGrimReeferzz

I see what you mean each area introduces you to characters that only develop in that area. They stay contained within.

Then they're forgotten about and "next" new characters per area. Bit like "Villian of the day" in US TV Dramas.

There are brief moments late game they do come together like Mass Effect endings. But they don't interact with eachother, only you.

There is a massive gap in relationship between Eivar and Sigurd for most of the game due to circumstances and he is basically a lone wolf mostly.

Those friends in his longboat doing raids with him don't create relationships with him either. They just raid and jump back in the boat and disappear. 

Voice acting was really good, but the facial animations are really cardboard.

Romance wise. The only love interest Eivar got was some random male soldier asking to "plough" him but in decision dialogue I chose to decline his offer.

In terms of checklist locations. I am playing on normal combat difficulty and skip those side activities completely. Maybe do few if they're on the way of my path during main story. But I don't go out of my way to hunt down. SDo not forced to grind.

Now I think I am over levelled. Yes skipping 90% checklist locations means I am skipping "content" but I prefer main story/side missions. I am still 50hrs in and 3 areas left.

• TheGrimReeferzz
    Original poster 44 posts

@qapnugget I'm like 20 hours in and just hearing what you guys are saying is making me not want to bother with the rest . I had high expectations for this game because I no how good it could of been . Really wish ubisoft didn't make this game .

Just imagine if Rockstar or CD project red made this .... Amazing

• qapnugget
    61 posts

@thegrimreeferzz

Focus on good aspects of game main story/side missions. Only do wealth/mystery locations if they're nearby as part of main story/side quests. Don't go collecting as very boring.

If you're stuck on a boss as result of being under level, just switch to easy then normal combat difficulty again.

I can tell you now it will STILL take you 60-70hrs JUST for main story/side missions and that is without even touching side activities! I don't know how some people finish it in 40hrs. Must be speed running, easy difficulty and skipping dialogue as no way.

So don't feel you lost money by avoiding checklist locations like I did. I don't need to do checklist locations and hate it just to try and make myself feel better for spending the money on this game. Makes no sense.

Here is why we always play Ubisoft games. It is because there isn't much good AAA titles out there so we have to settle with less expectations. What else are we going to play in November until Cyberpunk arrives. So only this and Watch Dogs Legion...

Enjoy the game for the things you like...

• TheGrimReeferzz
    Original poster 44 posts

@qapnugget yh I was taking my time in Norway because I really liked it so I spent like 10 hours just looting and exploring . Now that I'm in England I just can't be bothered with the looting and exploring .

I have just started the alliance map and trying to figure out who out of 3 people betrayed that women who is the leader of a clan .

The more I play the more I feel like I'm alone in this world , doing everything myself with just my crew on the boat who I don't really have any real connection with . At the moment I feel like iv got to England and Sigurd has basically said " well I'm off to do my own things , do wat you want , bye!"

I wish he stayed and we and all the other characters had connections and the other npc characters cross paths and interact with each other so it's not just me building relationships with other people but them all as well . Just hope the story is good enough to keep me playing

Suggested Topics

Community Details

Users
Topics